The Official 01/28/2012 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sutton

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
.Test Date.: Saturday, January 28, 2012
.Exam Start Time.: 1 p.m.
.Registration Opens.: October 12, 2011
...Tentative.. Score Release Date.: February 28, 2012
.After 5 p.m. ET.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone... ahh I've been going crazy in my mind over this test. I've been obessing on some questions that I wasn't sure about and have been researching them like crazy to see if I got them right or wrong. Anyways...

PS: I so far know of 3 I got wrong for sure and another 3-4 I'm not too sure about. I'm hoping I only got somewhere around 8-9 wrong in this section for maybe a scaled score of an 10-11. I thought it was a fairly straight forward section... the first few passages were pretty easy overall. I messed up on a couple stoich equations, but other than that I thought they weren't too bad. The last two passages... woooow. All i know is one of those has got to be an experimental. They were definitely a bit different than usual.

VR: It's always hard to say with this section. I thought the first two passages were by far the hardest ones, which may have thrown me off a bit. I managed to finish the entire section and definitely felt like the last passage was the easiest. All the passages were a lot more dry than usual and so many questions seemed to have two pretty good answers which scares me. I had quite a few where I couldn't decide on one of the two answers and pretty much just had to pick one and move on. I'm hoping to pull a 10.

WS: No one cares.

BS: Much more experimental based and less outside knowledge required I thought. I can think of 2 that I got wrong for sure, and then there's about 3-4 others that I'm not quite sure if I got or not. I dont know if it was just me or what, but i thought the O-chem passage was extremely straight forward and all the questions could be answered with passage info. Definitely didn't think it was bad. Was a bit upset there wasn't much physiology in this section, as that's more of my strong point. I'm hoping for about 9 wrong over all, so I hopefully pull an 11.

I was scoring between a 31-38 was my highest on the AAMCs. My average was about a 35, although it was my second time around taking these exams, although I honestly did not remember any of the answers. Being that my scores were probably inflated a few points, i'm hoping to could out with a 30-31 on this test, but it's hard to say. The more and more i think about it, the more worried and less confident I feel about it.

I'm hoping so, i'm just stressing myself out right now thinking about some questions that i got wrong that I should've known better lol and then the ones where I wasn't too sure on, hopefully i got lucky and guessed the right one on those. I got a 27 the first time (8,9,10), didn't prepare as well the first time around. I took it earlier this summer, felt very prepared and choked like crazy when i took it and got a 26 (10,6,10)... i dunno what the hell had happened to me, but I just didn't feel like myself at all, I had to completely guess on the last passage in each section, i should have voided. This time around, i had about 5 minutes to spare in both science sections and I finished verbal with just enough time. I feel a bit more comfortable, although I'm a little worried with verbal... can't ever really gauge that one

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i got bogged down in questions and killed my timing and had literally about 20 seconds for the last passage in both of them. this time around i forced myself to pick an answer and leave it if i wasn't sure... only problem is, i felt like i had that feeling for quite a few questions lol

29 days! So should we start a new post for scores or should we just start posting our scores on this thread :p

On other threads people have posted on the same threads. No need to start a new one.

This is helpful to 'follow the story' if you will.

Members don't see this ad :)
Funny, I though Physics was awful and everything else generally pretty good. I felt like everything that I studied for in terms of physics was not on there and everything I didn't did. I guess just hope for the best at this point.

EEK!

I tend to agree with this. I was in the same boat.

advice to future test takers, check to see if you can scroll HORIZONTALLY. Most people who took the exam know what I am talking about. One passage had a chart and although I did this passage last, I spent so long trying to figure out the answer and just guessed and tried to make an educated guess. Turns out the most important columns of the chart were not visible on the screen and you had to scroll laterally, which may seem trivial to some but in the heat of the battle when your pressed for time and/thinking of the answers/thinking that possibly you missed. or overlooked key info, its easy to forget to scroll sideways....(BECAUSE HOW MANY OF THE PRACTICE FL REQUIRED YOU TO DO THAT!!):mad:

OMG :mad: When I first saw that I was so ticked off - not that it was so difficult to do (because it was actually easy to scroll and understand it) but at the fact no other practice tests, that I have taken, ever required you to scroll like that or even made a mention to it...

I highlighted across the passage horizontally, so I wouldn't get lost between the other numbers, or look at the wrong lines. Still though :rolleyes: Annoying. I am pretty sure they could have shrunk the chart to fit.

Last edited:
For the second physics passage, I don't know why they asked the same questions twice but in a different format. I had no idea how to solve that one problem with the diagram and the car.

Originally Posted by Acoustica
Funny, I though Physics was awful and everything else generally pretty good. I felt like everything that I studied for in terms of physics was not on there and everything I didn't did. I guess just hope for the best at this point.

EEK!

I totally second this. I focused a lot of time on making sure I understood all of the more complex topics conceptually, and sort of glossed over "easy" stuff (conceptually) like stoichiometry. The same ended up happening with mechanical advantage - I remember thinking "Pfffff, this **** is way too specific. It would be dumb if they focused on this at all." I guess I ended up jinxing myself. While the stoichiometry/mechanical advantage stuff wasn't hard, not having cranked through a ton of similar problems ended up meaning a time disadvantage...

Oh well, I guess that's what you get for trying to be MCATdamus.

I sympathize..but now it's time to get busy with other stuff! Like classes..:rolleyes:

Lol. I guess I'm lucky then (or not, depending on how you look at it). This week I'm mostly going to read some New Yorker/Economist back issues to get completely caught up with what's been going on in the world since I've been gone, knock some books off of my neglected reading list, and get some much needed beach time.

Next week will come the serious business of hustling to get back into the workforce/engineering a San Francisco repatriation.

This could be a fun way to pass the time until the scores are released - what are you looking most forward to getting back/doing now that it's over? For me: dating, re-building a San Diego social life (moved back after a long hiatus/adventures), re-exploring the city as a grown up, reading things I'm interested in, random motorcycle trips.

#postMCATvacuum

Last edited:
Have the scores been released yet???!!!!!...

What about now?...

...now?

:scared:

:D

Same here. I am probably going to crazy sometime in the next 27 days. Even though my AAMC average was high, I'm scared to death of doing poorly on this thing (especially verbal!) :scared:

Lol. I guess I'm lucky then (or not, depending on how you look at it). This week I'm mostly going to read some New Yorker/Economist back issues to get completely caught up with what's been going on in the world since I've been gone, knock some books off of my neglected reading list, and get some much needed beach time.

Next week will come the serious business of hustling to get back into the workforce/engineering a San Francisco repatriation.

This could be a fun way to pass the time until the scores are released - what are you looking most forward to getting back/doing now that it's over? For me: dating, re-building a San Diego social life (moved back after a long hiatus/adventures), re-exploring the city as a grown up, reading things I'm interested in, random motorcycle trips.

#postMCATvacuum

Haha, I have to catch up with my classes. I just had 2 midterms today and will be scrambling to finish a paper tomorrow due Thursday. Luckily I called off research for these past 2 weeks so I don't drown in overload.

I am looking forward to having time to cook my own meals and lifting again - it's been a month and I'm itching for some DOMS.

Also, super jealous of you! San Diego is awesome. Actually, California is awesome. Haha.

So people are saying PS had alot of time consuming calculations, which is strange cause I swear I had very few and they were simple :confused:

So people are saying PS had alot of time consuming calculations, which is strange cause I swear I had very few and they were simple :confused:

That's good. I don't necessarily think there were a ridiculous amount of Calcs. Just definitely more than the practices if you felt they were easy though you prob were comfortable with the math so hopefully you knocked it out the park

PS- Not too bad at all. Thought I did pretty well despite making a couple of dumb mistakes. I will say I wasn't expecting the last passage at all. I remember my TPR teacher not going over it bc he said it was something AAMC hadn't tested over in a long, long time. I still studied it so I think it was fine, but damn, I gotta give mad props to AAMC for that one bc I wasn't even expecting that

VR- Like everyone else was saying, passage 2 was a b****, which caused me to rush on everything else. I will admit I did get a good laugh out of the last one which was kind of relaxing in a way. Felt like I did guess a good chunk, but I think a good amount of those were educated lol. Hoping I got higher than 7 on the one I took in August.

Bio - A lot of hit and miss. I don't feel like there's much middle ground in this section for me. Either I did really well and hit a high score or I got in the single digits. Hopefully I hit the former.

This was my 2nd time taking it fwiw. The first time in August I got a 29R (12 PS, 7V, 10BS), but the problem was I had strep that entire week and I had a 100+ fever throughout the test. I debated not retaking it for a while because I figured I had a decent score and I could've told Med Schools about having strep that week, but I figured I might as well re-take it. As long as I get an 8 on verbal, I'll be happy fwiw lol :laugh:

I know it's a long way away, but will scores really come out at 5? I remember a lot of the summer tests coming out around 3 and was just wondering if ours would be like that too. I guess two hours nothing compared to 27 more days though :x

I also took the 1/28 exam. First off, I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted comments. Your stories have helped immensely in helping me deal with the aftermath of the exam.

I studied hard for ~ 6 months and was consistently scoring in the low to mid 30's on the AAMC's. My AAMC average was 32.75. Here are some of my thoughts on the exam:

PS: Like many people, I thought this part was almost suspiciously straightforward. Disclaimer: this is almost always my best section. I invariably made a few careless mistakes but I think I did alright on this section. I guess it was fairly calculation heavy, but I'm pretty good with that kind of stuff so I didn't think this section was too bad.

Verbal: Again, the first couple of passages were kind of bad, but they could have been worse. I'm not great with this section but as I said, I think it could have been much worse.

WS: Fairly straighforward. I practiced writing the essays on each one of the AAMC's which I thought helped immensely in terms of stamina for the BS on practices and on the real thing.

BS: Arrgh! I mistakenly took about 5 minutes too long on the discretes, which I do first. So I started the passages with roughly 55 minutes to go and was racing to finish. I felt like I couldn't good handle on a lot of the passages and so I'm praying that I got a bit lucky. My timing really got screwed up right from the start and by the time I finished, I felt a lot of anxiety about this section. If I hadn't spent too long on the discretes I think I would have walked out feeling ok in general about the exam.

Overall, I felt that the exam was pretty fair --- I certainly think it was comprable to the AAMC's even though it invariably felt 'different' simply due to the fact that it's the real thing. I thought that the week leading up to the exam was absolutely horrible in terms of the anticipation. Little did I realize that the days afterwards would be wayyyy worse. Everyday I have flashbacks to questions. I was watching House the other day and some disease came up which was either mentioned on the AAMC's or the actual exam and it made me feel sick to my stomach. The waiting game is undoubtedly the worst part.

Here's to keeping this thread alive and active until February 28th! I hope ya'll get the scores you were hoping for! Your posts have kept me sane and for that, I'm very grateful to the SDN community. Cheers and best of luck!

Hey guys, also sort of late but here's my take on the exam (sorry it's lengthy, but trying to be helpful)

PS: All I can say is, thank youu Berkeley Review! The first time I took the test, I didn't have as much time to prep and barely did any of the Physics and GChem passages. I just took more practice tests. But honestly, you HAVE to do the passages. As many as you can/all of them, and time yourself for 6-7 minutes each passage so you won't be rushed for time on the real thing. I went through it and felt pretty confident on this whole section (besides that stupid whale question, which I kept thinking about even into Verbal bc I changed my answer at the last minute and wished I hadn't). Anyways, I didn't even think about it being so calculation heavy because I was so used to it from the BR passages. But looking back, I did fill up 2/3 of my exam booklet with calculations, so I guess it was. Even though writing takes up a bit more time, I honestly think it's better to write out numbers, like exponents and etc. so you can keep an accurate track of your calc's and not make dumb errors. If you get used to doing this fast by practicing, I really think it helps cut down on stupid mistakes. Oh and the last passage, I didn't think it was bad, BR really gets you used to things like this. You still apply the same basic concepts in answering the questions.

VR: This has always been my best section, I thought the passages were interesting. My tip is to try to relate the passage topic to something in your life and find a way to be interested in it (I laughed at that end passage too, the one that has a TV show about the topic). Highlight and think about main point as you actively read through, but don't summarize every passage. Yes, there were more paragraphs per passage and they were longer, but I finished with 8 min to spare and went over all my marked questions. Practicing with less time really helps. I usually score a solid 13 on almost all my practice tests

WS: It was okay, first one was great, second one I didn't really have a good counter example, but just churned out 3 paragraphs.

So I was feeling pretty good up until
BS: I thought this section was tricker than the rest, but I'm not a Bio major and have a weaker background. There were multiple questions where I would narrow it down and have no clue which of the last two it was. One of the discretes was almost exactly the same as from the first MCAT I took, so happy I looked that one up after. Yeah the scrolling with the Ochem passage...went through and had tried to answer half the questions before I realized it, then went back and redid them. It wasn't hard, just an annoyance though. Just hopinggg I get my AAMC avg on this (10-11), but this is the section that is worrying me the most since a lot of you said it wasn't that bad.

During my breaks, I stretched and munched on a Cliff Builders bar. Took my time, since I knew there's no time limit on the page introducing each section, even though the 10 min countdown clock has run out. This made me feel more relaxed and not as rushed, I was able to clear my head for each new section.

In the meantime, getting my DOMS on, studying for classes, and since I apparently love giving myself another test to study for...signed up to get certified as a personal trainer in about a month lol.

Countdown to the score release...I'll try to help keep this thread active too. :xf:!

Hey guys, also sort of late but here's my take on the exam (sorry it's lengthy, but trying to be helpful)

PS: All I can say is, thank youu Berkeley Review! The first time I took the test, I didn't have as much time to prep and barely did any of the Physics and GChem passages. I just took more practice tests. But honestly, you HAVE to do the passages. As many as you can/all of them, and time yourself for 6-7 minutes each passage so you won't be rushed for time on the real thing. I went through it and felt pretty confident on this whole section (besides that stupid whale question, which I kept thinking about even into Verbal bc I changed my answer at the last minute and wished I hadn't). Anyways, I didn't even think about it being so calculation heavy because I was so used to it from the BR passages. But looking back, I did fill up 2/3 of my exam booklet with calculations, so I guess it was. Even though writing takes up a bit more time, I honestly think it's better to write out numbers, like exponents and etc. so you can keep an accurate track of your calc's and not make dumb errors. If you get used to doing this fast by practicing, I really think it helps cut down on stupid mistakes. Oh and the last passage, I didn't think it was bad, BR really gets you used to things like this. You still apply the same basic concepts in answering the questions.

VR: This has always been my best section, I thought the passages were interesting. My tip is to try to relate the passage topic to something in your life and find a way to be interested in it (I laughed at that end passage too, the one that has a TV show about the topic). Highlight and think about main point as you actively read through, but don't summarize every passage. Yes, there were more paragraphs per passage and they were longer, but I finished with 8 min to spare and went over all my marked questions. Practicing with less time really helps. I usually score a solid 13 on almost all my practice tests

WS: It was okay, first one was great, second one I didn't really have a good counter example, but just churned out 3 paragraphs.

So I was feeling pretty good up until
BS: I thought this section was tricker than the rest, but I'm not a Bio major and have a weaker background. There were multiple questions where I would narrow it down and have no clue which of the last two it was. One of the discretes was almost exactly the same as from the first MCAT I took, so happy I looked that one up after. Yeah the scrolling with the Ochem passage...went through and had tried to answer half the questions before I realized it, then went back and redid them. It wasn't hard, just an annoyance though. Just hopinggg I get my AAMC avg on this (10-11), but this is the section that is worrying me the most since a lot of you said it wasn't that bad.

During my breaks, I stretched and munched on a Cliff Builders bar. Took my time, since I knew there's no time limit on the page introducing each section, even though the 10 min countdown clock has run out. This made me feel more relaxed and not as rushed, I was able to clear my head for each new section.

In the meantime, getting my DOMS on, studying for classes, and since I apparently love giving myself another test to study for...signed up to get certified as a personal trainer in about a month lol.

Countdown to the score release...I'll try to help keep this thread active too. :xf:!

lol. I was actually wondering about this during my prep. Can you just chill for an extra 1, 5, 10 minutes during the intro pages?

Also, I hear you on the Berkelely Review books. Worth every penny.

This waiting is killing me.

I've noticed something weird. I can remember a handful of PS and BS questions. I remember the PS was gen chem heavy and BS was a lot of reading comprehension. However, when it comes to verbal, I do not remember a thing. I can't recall a single question, nor could I tell you any of the seven passages were about. Because of this, I'm terrified that my verbal is gonna blow :(

You got from 34-39 on the AAMCs. Not a bad score. Paranoia is bound to happen though. :D

Last edited:
This waiting is killing me.

I've noticed something weird. I can remember a handful of PS and BS questions. I remember the PS was gen chem heavy and BS was a lot of reading comprehension. However, when it comes to verbal, I do not remember a thing. I can't recall a single question, nor could I tell you any of the seven passages were about. Because of this, I'm terrified that my verbal is gonna blow :(

Relax, I was the same exact way. I scored a point below my AAMC average though but you can expect to score around your average.

lol. I was actually wondering about this during my prep. Can you just chill for an extra 1, 5, 10 minutes during the intro pages?

Also, I hear you on the Berkelely Review books. Worth every penny.

Yes, even though the box that pops up that says the 10 min is over goes away, it'll stay on the screen with the "70 minutes, 52 questions" indefinitely. I was super relaxed during the breaks due to not feeling rushed at all. Talked with one of the test proctors about hair coloring, did jumping jacks in the bathroom lol.

And don't worry about not remembering the questions...Nothing you can do about it now, so try to distract yourself. (Easier said than done I know)

since i can't remember ANYTHING from the verbal section, can anyone give me an idea of what the main topics ((hoping this doesn't break any rules)) of the first 2 verbal passages were. Only asking this because everybody keeps mentioning how difficult they were, and i just want to see if i felt the same way.

I think the second maybe was talking about an artist? And his new idea of older ones using cameras to trace they pictures? I'm not really sure and I can't remember the rest it's weird bc I remember clearly much of the PS and BS none of verbal though.

The ones I remember are land temps, artist, hoarder, litigation, gang, drug threshold levels. Can't remember the 7th topic for the life of me lol

i don't remember any thing about hoarders (this makes me worried that what if i skipped a passage!!!....stupid paranoia)))

I don't remember anything about drug threshold levels? Someone enlighten me!

Oh and the hoarders passages were talking about how hoarders are classified as a mental disorder.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! I feel a little better now that I'm not the only one having a hard time remembering VR, plus the topics ppl have listed all sound familiar

I don't remember anything about drug threshold levels? Someone enlighten me!

I don't remember all the details, but it was basically talking about competing theories of whether a drug threshold really exists

Man, it's getting hard for me to remember anything as well :rolleyes: guess it's a good sign though

Last edited:
I don't remember **** about verbal :scared:; However, I DO remember nearly EVERYTHING from the bio section and most of the PS section... God I was so rushed towards the end on verbal and the sad thing is I barely finished the last passage (which was def the easiest) and as the time ran out i had to pick an answer choice. Once I did, I did not click ok on "verbal sction is finished" and read the answer choices and saw that I had guessed wrong :(

I don't remember **** about verbal :scared:; However, I DO remember nearly EVERYTHING from the bio section and most of the PS section... God I was so rushed towards the end on verbal and the sad thing is I barely finished the last passage (which was def the easiest) and as the time ran out i had to pick an answer choice. Once I did, I did not click ok on "verbal sction is finished" and read the answer choices and saw that I had guessed wrong :(

Haha I couldn't decide on one BS question for the longest time. I finally made up my mind, and time ran out, and then right after it became blaringly clear to me that I chose the wrong answer. I guess that's always how it happens.

I got a good piece of advice from a current med student that you definitely remember the few yougot wrong versus all of the one you got right. I thought that would make you guys feel better too. 22 days! :x