About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

The Official 01/28/2012 MCAT Club

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Sutton, Oct 7, 2011.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. iceman132

iceman132

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Heh, I know. I'm just messing with junior there.

I've had my problems and learned from my mistakes. Stopwhining is the one who creepily looked through my 1100 posts and found those.
  2. IncognitoGuy

IncognitoGuy l'absurde Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This is pretty silly. Who cares about SAT/ACT/AP scores anymore? There's a reason why you don't use a single one of them beyond orientation before your freshman year.

stopwhining, I respect that you have the chops to pull off those kind of scores and the opportunity to turn down Harvard, but if you take iceman's bait like that it's clear that you have some learning to do with communication. This forum is meant for us to commiserate, discuss and offer advice. Exactly as iceman has used it. If it's hand-holding he gets, then that's his own prerogative as to whether he should listen. Obsessively combing his posts for a personal attack is, well - I don't quite know.

I thank you for your input and do find it interesting to see proof of one of "those" students - the academically perfect ones. But we're not all on your level and as you can clearly see, we need some way to find some measure of relief in this uncertainty that is the MCAT.

And this has gotten WAY off-topic. As for me, I've pretty much forgotten about the scores - research, midterms and involvement have kept it off my mind. First "lazy" Saturday I can muster in a while and it definitely feels good to take a breath and collect myself. Hope everyone else is hanging in there!
  3. GrabSlamBoot

GrabSlamBoot

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What's the point of you to post that? Most folks on here support and hope we all do well on the test, not the other way around.
  4. iceman132

iceman132

Now let's be nice. This is just what happens when you get bullied one too many times.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  5. JohnSnow

JohnSnow

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'll always support somebody who is trying. Maybe the MCAT material doesn't come naturally to some people. I'm certainly not going to tell somebody to give up because stopwhining said so. As long as somebody is making an effort who are you to tell them to quit? I'll always support somebody who is taking a chance and making and effort.

I actually I wasn't trying to imply that at all. Merely, that you had an upbringing that led you to academic success. Maybe iceman didn't. We don't all come from ideal environments. I honestly believe that at any given moment in time people are trying to do their best. I don't think anybody wakes up and says 'I hope do something to screw up my future today'. You shouldn't judge somebody until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

Hats off to you and your academic success but I wouldn't want you as my doctor.
  6. iceman132

iceman132

Homecoming queen to internet troll. CONGRATS :laugh:
  7. iceman132

iceman132

Hmmm, so you sit in bed recalling internet conversations. Shoulda went to Harvard instead of flipping burgers at Mickey D's ;)
  8. Galatasaray

Galatasaray

SDN 2+ Year Member
    looks like harvard dodged a bullet....
  9. iceman132

iceman132

Young man, High times is not a top journal.
  10. iceman132

iceman132

These are the times I understand why they have an interview process. Even psychos make good grades.
  11. Galatasaray

Galatasaray

SDN 2+ Year Member
    dude please stop feeding the troll. let him be part of that ~5% of high stats applicants that are rejected due to a lack of maturity.
  12. iceman132

iceman132

Sorry sorry I'll stop. It's just hilarious to me and I apologize.
  13. angldrps

angldrps

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    agreed!
  14. TheKDizzle

TheKDizzle

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    1) If you're still parading around "your" SAT and ACT scores, you're probably not a high-achieving student.
    2) If you think getting a "3.99 GPA" or "40 MCAT" makes you intelligent, you're not intelligent.
    3) If you think acceptance into any undergraduate institution is a particularly high accomplishment, you're not accomplished.
  15. andrewsmack05

andrewsmack05 Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  16. TheKDizzle

TheKDizzle

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  17. iceman132

iceman132

:laugh:

This thread was so pleasant too. In 3 hours it'll be 9 MORE DAYS!!!
  18. angldrps

angldrps

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    can we all collectively agree to ignore the troll and bring this thread back to what it has been for all these weeks for many of us: a support group? thanks.
  19. TheKDizzle

TheKDizzle

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    1) We'll go with it.
    2) Intelligence isn't well-defined. I'm of the opinion that academic success can be had by almost anybody, provided they put in the effort. If that is the case, then measured relative to others, academic success may be necessary for "intelligence" but not sufficient.
    3) I'm also 20 - the difference between us is that I do NOT proclaim to be especially accomplished in any way, which I believe to be understandable considering my age. I'm not saying you can't be accomplished as a 20 year old as many people are; however, acceptance to a prestigious undergraduate institution would not constitute accomplishment to me, but instead a major step towards the goal of one day becoming accomplished.
    i.e. Education itself isn't an ends, it's a means to an ends. In my book, anyways.
  20. iceman132

iceman132

So any celebration plans for if you do well on the 28th?
  21. TheKDizzle

TheKDizzle

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Mainly just run around in circles yelling and grinning, and maybe treat myself to a nice meal hahaha. If only it weren't a Tuesday...

How about you?
  22. iceman132

iceman132

Haha sounds good. I'll probably meet up with friends, get a little tipsy, buy an expensive meal and act a foooool :D.
  23. EmKitty

EmKitty

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No matter the performance, I'm gonna treat myself to something (be it drinks, meal etc) for the work I put in.
  24. iwontgoaway

iwontgoaway

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Ha, celebrating mediocrity I see.
  25. Mountaineer12

Mountaineer12

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If I get good scores I'm finally buying the MSAR and going "school shopping." I haven't let myself think about where I want to go at a all because I wanted to avoid falling in love with some schools and not getting good enough scores to apply.

Then I'm going to get my nails done and go to the bar, if I did good, of course.
  26. EmKitty

EmKitty

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Who said that I think I am going to do bad? I just said that celebration should be about effort. Good performance comes with a substantial effort.
  27. IncognitoGuy

IncognitoGuy l'absurde Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Too bad it's a Tuesday - I do, however don't have class until 10:30 the next day. Who knows? I will start moving forward and, like Mountaineer12 start "shopping".
  28. GrabSlamBoot

GrabSlamBoot

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah if I do well I'll most likely have a nice big fire for my stack of Mcat books. If I do poorly, that stack will have to come into play again haha
  29. JohnSnow

JohnSnow

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I just never want to do another physics problem, ever again, for the rest of my life. That will be my reward if I do well.
  30. Galatasaray

Galatasaray

SDN 2+ Year Member
    going to celebrate by taking a calc ii exam at night and then preparing for a history exam on wednesday... life of a premed. i will definitely celebrate wednesday however.
  31. Amba

Amba Rogue researcher Gold Donor

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Probably sleep.
  32. Maxine450

Maxine450

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hopefully when these scores come out I can sell my mountain of MCAT books. Please, PLEASE!
  33. andrewsmack05

andrewsmack05 Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    +1
  34. TheKDizzle

TheKDizzle

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've already had several people approach me to buy my MCAT books. Weird that so many people want to suffer! :laugh:
  35. EmKitty

EmKitty

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't think I'll be able to sell my books (as much as I want to.) While I was reviewing, I wrote in almost every margin pretty much summarizing main points of paragraphs. For anyone other than me, it would probably be really really distracting lol. Am I the only one who does this?
  36. TheKDizzle

TheKDizzle

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Haha I never write or mark in my books... I don't know if it's for the resale value or just because I'm OCD
  37. EmKitty

EmKitty

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I gotta adopt that philosophy seeing as how after we get scores back, I'll have a pile of useless books haha. Guess I might as well torch 'em. Next best option right?
  38. angldrps

angldrps

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i do the exact same thing. i have a plethora of books- EK, TPR, Kaplan, TBR- and most are marked with red pen, highlighter, notes in the margin. honestly, i won't be too sad about not being able to sell these because all i want is never have to look at them again.
  39. EmKitty

EmKitty

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    haha, excellently said.
  40. pr76

pr76

lol, same with me. the floor of my closet space is completely filled with every book from all of those companies, scribbles and all, because my bookshelf couldn't handle the weight! I'm just crossing my fingers that I don't ever have to open one of them again... started studying for the gre this weekend as a backup :scared:
  41. iceman132

iceman132

Only 8 days left!
  42. CodeRedDew

CodeRedDew Thirst Quencher

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Anxiety is starting to build ... Only 8 more days!!
  43. TinaBina22

TinaBina22

Edit.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  44. iceman132

iceman132

I don't even know where to begin on how wrong you are.

God isn't your scapegoat. Your love towards God shouldn't be conditional. If you have questions go to a church and ask but don't spit on religions face like this. (Go to a catholic church. Maybe Methodist or Baptist)

I can not stand how sacrilegious some people can be. I hope God does what is best for you (And it may be failing in this instance.) Some people need to hit rock bottom when their world views are so skewed.
  45. TheKDizzle

TheKDizzle

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I can understand why that comment may have pushed you the wrong way, but understand that it was meant as a lighthearted joke about religion, and that this forum is DEFINITELY not the place for any of your preaching. Please drop this now before this thread degenerates into a religion-loving and bashing party.
  46. iceman132

iceman132

Sure, how about I say something "lighthearted" about child molestation or racial discrimination.

I'll stop here but for someone to make a lighthearted joke about religion or God is more than asking for it. This place isn't for religious bashing either.
  47. TinaBina22

TinaBina22

For the record, I'm not sacrilegious in the slightest bit. I've done countless volunteering hours at churches and have taken many religious classes to broaden my horizons. One of my idols is Francis Collins, who is extremely religious. Even though I'm personally not religious, I have by no means a negative nor distorted attitude towards religion. If anything, I'm extremely tolerant and very interested in religion.

You're ridiculous. First of all, I was only kidding around. I just had similar conversation with a law student friend who said she prayed the entire month before she got her LSAT score - even if though she is not religious. I wasn't being serious. I'm just trying to make light out of a terrible situation. Excuse me if I like to use humor to help deal with negativity. Learn to take a joke instead of being bashful and insensitive. I'm sorry you took my joke so seriously.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  48. iceman132

iceman132

I take religion very VERY seriously. The fact that you feel like you can make light of it shows how misguided you are.

If you respect religious people then the LAST THING you should do is make light of their beliefs. (Saying things like you can blame God for your MCAT score is just ignorant and NOT FUNNY to someone who believes in God)

Out of one side of your mouth you say you respect religion. Out of the other you are saying you can make a lighthearted joke out of it. You don't get the SEVERITY of what you're saying.
  49. TinaBina22

TinaBina22

Lol OK.
  50. Furballer

Furballer