Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by HoltMD, 01.15.12.

1. MrNeuro

MrNeuro Gold Donor

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    [​IMG]

could somebody tell me what symbols are what for this question its from AAMC 8
  2. fas376

fas376

Pre-Medical

LOL don't worry they don't actually look like that. My test looks differently. The AAMC exams have some weird character glitches some times for those kinds of symbols.
  3. MrNeuro

MrNeuro Gold Donor

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    lol ok....but i just wanted to know the symbols so i can actually see if i know the answer

how are you guys planning on structuring your essay?

TPR says to have 3 paragraphs
    pro
    con
    conclusion

is this the general plan you guys are following? b/c im reading some of these sample essays and they usually just take a single stance and stick w/ it and have usually are >4 paragraphs (albeit short 2-4 sentence paragraphs)
  4. fas376

fas376

Pre-Medical
    I'm posting a thread sometime this week about it. Hopefully people can provide some good insight.
  5. kryptonian

kryptonian

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you've been doing well on your AAMC FL, you have nothing to worry about. Just chill during next week. I was so burned out this morning after attempting some verbal practice but after 2 passages, I gave up, went straight to bed and took a 6 hours nap lol. Feel a lot better.
  6. pfaction

pfaction

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I posted all my essays and the scores. Here's a snapshot:

[​IMG]

Lemme see if I can find the topic.
  7. typicalindian

typicalindian

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    From my research, I've gathered that this is how the essay should be structured:

4 paragraphs:

1.) a."restate" the prompt in your own words by summarizing what you think it means

2.) provide an example supporting the prompt and talk about how it supports the prompt

3.) make an argument against the prompt and give an example that supports your argument

4.) give them guidelines which will tell them when it is ok to support the statement and when it is ok to do the opposite.

ie if the topic is: "In a free society individuals should be allowed to do as they want. "

paragraph 1: what does the statement mean?
    paragraph 2: say why people should be allowed to do as they want and use examples
    paragraph 3: say why people should NOT be allowed to do as they want and use examples
    paragraph 4: give the reader guidelines for when people should be allowed to do as they want and when they should not be able to.
  8. pfaction

pfaction

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  9. LONeil

LONeil

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Why can't the MCAT just be 144 orgo questions....my life would be sooooo much better.
  10. typicalindian

typicalindian

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So...do you want me to show you the door? Or can you find it yourself?
  11. LONeil

LONeil

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'll excuse myself.

So...I found AAMC 9 to be harder than 11....maybe because I saw more of my strengths on 11 than I did on 9? Hmm...I don't really feel like I have "strengths and weaknesses" in content, though. Any thoughts?
  12. thelight02

thelight02

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    pfaction, you're killing the PS section now after not doing so well before. WHAT'S YOUR SECRET?!!??!
  13. typicalindian

typicalindian

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just do practice problems / passages. PS is all about practice.
  14. fas376

fas376

Pre-Medical
    and making sure you don't get particle accelerator passages (AAMC 10)
  15. pfaction

pfaction

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Well, I got a 21/40 on today's EK12 Verbal.
  16. fas376

fas376

Pre-Medical
    Time to do my last AAMC today.

Can't believe this sh.it is almost done. I can taste the smirnoff vodka i'll be downing this saturday night...
  17. kryptonian

kryptonian

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    dude, I've just noticed that I often scored the same as you on EK (not only this one but also your other EK scores as well), but how come my Verbal on AAMC is a lot lower ??? There must be sth wrong with the way I approach the AAMC Verbal passages. Do you mind tell me how you approach them ??
  18. LONeil

LONeil

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Anyone else here watch 30 rock? I've been chuggin' through season 5 when my brain needs a 20 minute break.
  19. typicalindian

typicalindian

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    lucky bastard, I have finals a few days after the MCAT so I have to come home and start studying for that **** -_- I don't think i've had any alcohol since like january holy **** :eek:
  20. misseskwee

misseskwee OMS-1

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Taking aamc 10 tomorrow at 1pm!
    My verbal is still stuck at 8-9 range. Gawwwd. If I get 8 or 9 in VR on the real thing, I hope they'll consider the fact I'm ESL.. well, i moved here at 18 but have zero accent because in my country, school was taught in english... i hope i can still pass off as ESL because technically english is my second language..lol could be my only chance for a sub-par VR score.
  21. brandonh4

brandonh4

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yah, that's pretty weird. My brother and I both got much higher scores on 9 than 11. I got a 39 on 9 with a 34 average.
  22. folktale

folktale

Pre-Medical
    I think on the real thing it's numbered per section instead of 1-146. I remember reading this in the guidelines before you take your practice test.
  23. folktale

folktale

Pre-Medical
    That question confused me at first glance actually. Then I realized the q's have to be the thetas because what else can they be.
  24. LONeil

LONeil

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Perhaps I'll blame it on the 5 hours of sleep I got last night (took 9 this afternoon). In all honesty, I know 9 should have been "easier", but my bio score dropped three points from what I got on 11's bio. In fact, I got my best score overall on AAMC 11. Oh well, I'll take 10 on Wednesday and call it good.
  25. typicalindian

typicalindian

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think I'm gonna push myself to do AAMC 10 tomorrow night and then AAMC 11 on wednesday.
  26. pfaction

pfaction

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    AAMC11 weds, going over all TBR before hand. I have TPR down (forgetting some Orgo and I have to review Ch 11 and 12 of inorganic...havent touched Bio in FOREVER so may skim some notes there).

AAMC8, #38 - can someone post a picture of the question and answer, since TPR is down?
  27. misseskwee

misseskwee OMS-1

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Pfaction-

Attached Files:

28. pfaction

pfaction

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks. It turns out, I misread CO3 for CO2.

I was like, why the **** would H2O+CO2 turn a paper blue? It would be red if anything.

And then, I was like, wait. CO3.

ESL? Nope, just retarded.
  29. folktale

folktale

Pre-Medical
    Feeling guilty that I haven't reviewed at all today. Man starting tomorrow, it's crunch time.
  30. pfaction

pfaction

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have all of Gen Chem 2 and Physics 2 to go over from TBR, as well as Bio, before Weds. **** life. Today, I went through all of TBR Physics 1 (tired at end) and Gen Chem, just finished Acids and Bases. Blaargghghhhhhh.
  31. MrNeuro

MrNeuro Gold Donor

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    AAMC 9 just finished thoughts

PS- WHHHAAAAATTTTT THE FUUUUUCCKKKK IS THISS!!!!!!!!! CATHODE REDUCTION? WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT....fml im failing this section...i switched my answer last second to radi of curvature for the mirror question took me 2 min to realize that its a mirror and that the refractive index isn't even involved in it....stupid thin lens equation

VR- fuuuuckkkk meeeeee haven't read/practice VR in so long i forgot how annoying this **** is. last two passages had exactly 14 min started the last passage w/ 5 min had to read it in 2 min and answer the questions in the last 3 FUUUCK if i would've read faster i could've done better ****

WS-did it totally underestimated how much this thing drains you

BS- HOOOOOLLLYY ****TT JAWLESS ANIMALS what is this bull...next passage fml im failing i dont know any of this especially all this dialaysis mumbo jumbo still can't wrap my head around whats going on i know that graph question is easy but b/c i have no idea what they're saying im gonna miss it

conclusion IM ****ED PREDICTED 11/9/9

Actual
    14/11/11 :eyebrow: i know i could've done better in BS that was some MAJOR BULL scrap

These bio sections are HARD

also pfaction how long does it take TPR to grade the essay? Do i have to do anything for them to grade it?
    Last edited: 04.23.12
  32. GrabSlamBoot

GrabSlamBoot

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Lol this makes me laugh because come test day you all will have this reaction and then do relatively well. Good luck this saturday you guys. Your thread has kept me thoroughly entertained. Hope you all rock it.
  33. kaylasdf123

kaylasdf123

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    5 days. Oh man...
  34. pfaction

pfaction

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :laugh: Watching you break down is hilarious, esp since I got a 35 on this, 13/9/13. I didn't think PS was hard that much to be honest. Passage IV was the worst because I guessed on 5, and got 4 right. Just remember always that cathode is the site of reduction ALWAYS, if you check my running dialogue you'd see I had a similar issue. TPR takes 1 day to grade.
  35. typicalindian

typicalindian

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yea I think I'm gonna just skip AAMC 10 today and just work on some weaknesses so I can take AAMC 11 on weds

Nice score mr Neuro. I'd kill for your vr score
  36. wanderedtoolong

wanderedtoolong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just fyi- I was really nervous about taking 11 b/c everyone says it's hard and I was intimidated by it, but I thought it was easier than 9 or 10- the orgo is super simple for the most part and there were a few little tricks on PS, and a few more calculations, but they were very basic calculations. Hoping the real thing has also been over-blown on SDN!
  37. pfaction

pfaction

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My friend said there was a passage involving electrochemistry. That, is :thumbdown: for me.

Now finishing Ch5 of TBR GChem 1, next up is a small Bio review. Then I attempt to finish h 6-10 of Physics AND GChem, Verbal before Wednesday's AAMC11. From Weds = just verbal straight through, a few passages here and there until Fri night.
  38. typicalindian

typicalindian

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    ****! 10/18 on another 3 TPR verbal passages...why the **** do I get the most wrong in the passages that I have the easiest time reading????
  39. brandonh4

brandonh4

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Edit: AAMC10 Spoiler ahead.

In reviewing the VR for AAMC10, this is the first verbal where I'm having serious issues with AAMC's answer descriptions.

THE AUTHOR CALLED RELIGION AN ILLUSION! I THINK THAT'S SLIGHTLY MORE PROVOCATIVE THAN "PATRONIZING"

Le sigh...
  40. wanderedtoolong

wanderedtoolong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    SPOILER CONTINUED

Right, but the overall tone of the passage was not provocative or picking an argument with religion- it described religion as a childish notion that society eventually grows out of. Regardless of how you feel about this opinion, that's the main point and tone of the passage.

41. brandonh4

brandonh4

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Religion = childish. Religion = myth. Myth = illusion. Religion = illusion.

Only a diehard atheist would think that's not being an eency weency bit provocative, dramatic, or antagonistic. It's a dumb question and I'm stickin to it.
  42. typicalindian

typicalindian

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Woah...just did the nuclear chemistry passages from TPR workbook, what the hell? Why were they so hard >_<
  43. fas376

fas376

Pre-Medical
    hey guys, what exactly do we have to know about electrochemistry?

there's molten electrolysis and aqueous electrolysis, along with the reactions that take place in each. do we have to know all of this?
  44. evolvex

evolvex

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just finished my last AAMC, which was 10

P10 V10 B13

Stupid mistakes in PS, but I blame it on my taking early in the AM.

averages for my Last 4 AAMCs, 7 9 11 10 respectively

PS: 10, 12, 8, 10 average: 10

VR: 8, 9, 9, 10, average 9

BS: 12, 11, 15, 13 average 12.75

BUT well see. Essentially P.S passages all week.
  45. Dires

Dires Spawn

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just finished AAMC 11 today.

11-10-12 (PS-VR-BS) 33.

Five more days....:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:
  46. misseskwee

misseskwee OMS-1

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just finished AAMC10.
    11/7:confused:/11
    Let me go cry now.. Verbal will be the death of me.. Been ranging from 7-9 :(:(
  47. fas376

fas376

Pre-Medical
    Same :(
  48. Doctoor

Doctoor

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Guys I messed up.

I just looked at my exam information, personal info, etc. and I saw 3 things:

1. I didn't put in my middle name, and my middle name is on my license
    2. I put in the wrong city in my address -- I used to live in the other city a year ago and my computer must have automatically put it in and I rushed
    3. The problem is that I tried changing it and AAMC site said that I couldn't since info has already been sent to the testing center. I tried calling them on the phone number given, and it's closed. Calling them in the morning.

Do you think I'll be ok? :scared:
  49. misseskwee

misseskwee OMS-1

SDN 2+ Year Member
    And I can actually get 1 to NO wrongs in most passages, but then also get 4-5 wrongs for one passage that effs up my score!!:mad:

I also hate their scoring for verbal. Hardest section with the hardest curve! Jeez.
  50. fas376

fas376

Pre-Medical
    Fu.cking sh.it! I did the same thing (didn't add in my middle name). We'll be fine, don't worry. Just email them.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal