The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

5rOIq.png

could somebody tell me what symbols are what for this question its from AAMC 8

5rOIq.png

could somebody tell me what symbols are what for this question its from AAMC 8

LOL don't worry they don't actually look like that. My test looks differently. The AAMC exams have some weird character glitches some times for those kinds of symbols.

lol ok....but i just wanted to know the symbols so i can actually see if i know the answer

how are you guys planning on structuring your essay?

TPR says to have 3 paragraphs
pro
con
conclusion

is this the general plan you guys are following? b/c im reading some of these sample essays and they usually just take a single stance and stick w/ it and have usually are >4 paragraphs (albeit short 2-4 sentence paragraphs)

Members don't see this ad :)
lol ok....but i just wanted to know the symbols so i can actually see if i know the answer

pro
con
conclusion

is this the general plan you guys are following? b/c im reading some of these sample essays and they usually just take a single stance and stick w/ it and have usually are >4 paragraphs (albeit short 2-4 sentence paragraphs)

I'm posting a thread sometime this week about it. Hopefully people can provide some good insight.

I'm feeling the exact same way. Is it even useful to push myself to study this week? Or should I just relax, so I won't be toast on Saturday? Ugh, I should have got a script for Prozac, haha.

If you've been doing well on your AAMC FL, you have nothing to worry about. Just chill during next week. I was so burned out this morning after attempting some verbal practice but after 2 passages, I gave up, went straight to bed and took a 6 hours nap lol. Feel a lot better.

pro
con
conclusion

From my research, I've gathered that this is how the essay should be structured:

4 paragraphs:

1.) a."restate" the prompt in your own words by summarizing what you think it means

2.) provide an example supporting the prompt and talk about how it supports the prompt

3.) make an argument against the prompt and give an example that supports your argument

4.) give them guidelines which will tell them when it is ok to support the statement and when it is ok to do the opposite.

ie if the topic is: "In a free society individuals should be allowed to do as they want. "

paragraph 1: what does the statement mean?
paragraph 2: say why people should be allowed to do as they want and use examples
paragraph 3: say why people should NOT be allowed to do as they want and use examples
paragraph 4: give the reader guidelines for when people should be allowed to do as they want and when they should not be able to.

Why can't the MCAT just be 144 orgo questions....my life would be sooooo much better.

I'll excuse myself.

So...I found AAMC 9 to be harder than 11....maybe because I saw more of my strengths on 11 than I did on 9? Hmm...I don't really feel like I have "strengths and weaknesses" in content, though. Any thoughts?

pfaction, you're killing the PS section now after not doing so well before. WHAT'S YOUR SECRET?!!??!

Members don't see this ad :)
Time to do my last AAMC today.

Can't believe this sh.it is almost done. I can taste the smirnoff vodka i'll be downing this saturday night...

Well, I got a 21/40 on today's EK12 Verbal.

dude, I've just noticed that I often scored the same as you on EK (not only this one but also your other EK scores as well), but how come my Verbal on AAMC is a lot lower ??? There must be sth wrong with the way I approach the AAMC Verbal passages. Do you mind tell me how you approach them ??

Anyone else here watch 30 rock? I've been chuggin' through season 5 when my brain needs a 20 minute break.

Time to do my last AAMC today.

Can't believe this sh.it is almost done. I can taste the smirnoff vodka i'll be downing this saturday night...

lucky bastard, I have finals a few days after the MCAT so I have to come home and start studying for that **** -_- I don't think i've had any alcohol since like january holy **** :eek:

Taking aamc 10 tomorrow at 1pm!
My verbal is still stuck at 8-9 range. Gawwwd. If I get 8 or 9 in VR on the real thing, I hope they'll consider the fact I'm ESL.. well, i moved here at 18 but have zero accent because in my country, school was taught in english... i hope i can still pass off as ESL because technically english is my second language..lol could be my only chance for a sub-par VR score.

I'll excuse myself.

So...I found AAMC 9 to be harder than 11....maybe because I saw more of my strengths on 11 than I did on 9? Hmm...I don't really feel like I have "strengths and weaknesses" in content, though. Any thoughts?

Yah, that's pretty weird. My brother and I both got much higher scores on 9 than 11. I got a 39 on 9 with a 34 average.

Kind of a random question, but do you guys know if the real thing counts up the problem numbers to 144? (i.e. like the BS starts with #92 and ends with #144) or does it count over from #1 - 52 and #1 - 40.

Idk if this is just me, but mentally I like being able to see easily how far I have left and how far I've come during each sub-section. With the counting up it makes me subconsciously do a little math problem in my head sporadically lol.

I think on the real thing it's numbered per section instead of 1-146. I remember reading this in the guidelines before you take your practice test.

Yah, that's pretty weird. My brother and I both got much higher scores on 9 than 11. I got a 39 on 9 with a 34 average.

Perhaps I'll blame it on the 5 hours of sleep I got last night (took 9 this afternoon). In all honesty, I know 9 should have been "easier", but my bio score dropped three points from what I got on 11's bio. In fact, I got my best score overall on AAMC 11. Oh well, I'll take 10 on Wednesday and call it good.

AAMC11 weds, going over all TBR before hand. I have TPR down (forgetting some Orgo and I have to review Ch 11 and 12 of inorganic...havent touched Bio in FOREVER so may skim some notes there).

AAMC8, #38 - can someone post a picture of the question and answer, since TPR is down?

Pfaction-

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-04-23-01-49-34-1-1.png
    54 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_2012-04-23-01-49-34-2.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 46
Thanks. It turns out, I misread CO3 for CO2.

I was like, why the **** would H2O+CO2 turn a paper blue? It would be red if anything.

And then, I was like, wait. CO3.

ESL? Nope, just ******ed.

Feeling guilty that I haven't reviewed at all today. Man starting tomorrow, it's crunch time.

I have all of Gen Chem 2 and Physics 2 to go over from TBR, as well as Bio, before Weds. **** life. Today, I went through all of TBR Physics 1 (tired at end) and Gen Chem, just finished Acids and Bases. Blaargghghhhhhh.

AAMC 9 just finished thoughts

PS- WHHHAAAAATTTTT THE FUUUUUCCKKKK IS THISS!!!!!!!!! CATHODE REDUCTION? WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT....fml im failing this section...i switched my answer last second to radi of curvature for the mirror question took me 2 min to realize that its a mirror and that the refractive index isn't even involved in it....stupid thin lens equation

VR- fuuuuckkkk meeeeee haven't read/practice VR in so long i forgot how annoying this **** is. last two passages had exactly 14 min started the last passage w/ 5 min had to read it in 2 min and answer the questions in the last 3 FUUUCK if i would've read faster i could've done better ****

WS-did it totally underestimated how much this thing drains you

BS- HOOOOOLLLYY ****TT JAWLESS ANIMALS what is this bull...next passage fml im failing i dont know any of this especially all this dialaysis mumbo jumbo still can't wrap my head around whats going on i know that graph question is easy but b/c i have no idea what they're saying im gonna miss it

conclusion IM ****ED PREDICTED 11/9/9

Actual
14/11/11 :eyebrow: i know i could've done better in BS that was some MAJOR BULL scrap

These bio sections are HARD

also pfaction how long does it take TPR to grade the essay? Do i have to do anything for them to grade it?

Last edited:

PS- WHHHAAAAATTTTT THE FUUUUUCCKKKK IS THISS!!!!!!!!! CATHODE REDUCTION? WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT....fml im failing this section...i switched my answer last second to radi of curvature for the mirror question took me 2 min to realize that its a mirror and that the refractive index isn't even involved in it....stupid thin lens equation

VR- fuuuuckkkk meeeeee haven't read/practice VR in so long i forgot how annoying this **** is. last two passages had exactly 14 min started the last passage w/ 5 min had to read it in 2 min and answer the questions in the last 3 FUUUCK if i would've read faster i could've done better ****

BS- HOOOOOLLLYY ****TT JAWLESS ANIMALS what is this bull...next passage fml im failing i dont know any of this especially all this dialaysis mumbo jumbo still can't wrap my head around whats going on i know that graph question is easy but b/c i have no idea what they're saying im gonna miss it

Actual
14/11/11 :eyebrow: i know i could've done better in BS that was some MAJOR BULL scrap

also pfaction how long does it take TPR to grade the essay? Do i have to do anything for them to grade it?

Lol this makes me laugh because come test day you all will have this reaction and then do relatively well. Good luck this saturday you guys. Your thread has kept me thoroughly entertained. Hope you all rock it.

Actual

:laugh: Watching you break down is hilarious, esp since I got a 35 on this, 13/9/13. I didn't think PS was hard that much to be honest. Passage IV was the worst because I guessed on 5, and got 4 right. Just remember always that cathode is the site of reduction ALWAYS, if you check my running dialogue you'd see I had a similar issue. TPR takes 1 day to grade.

Yea I think I'm gonna just skip AAMC 10 today and just work on some weaknesses so I can take AAMC 11 on weds

Nice score mr Neuro. I'd kill for your vr score

Just fyi- I was really nervous about taking 11 b/c everyone says it's hard and I was intimidated by it, but I thought it was easier than 9 or 10- the orgo is super simple for the most part and there were a few little tricks on PS, and a few more calculations, but they were very basic calculations. Hoping the real thing has also been over-blown on SDN!

Just fyi- I was really nervous about taking 11 b/c everyone says it's hard and I was intimidated by it, but I thought it was easier than 9 or 10- the orgo is super simple for the most part and there were a few little tricks on PS, and a few more calculations, but they were very basic calculations. Hoping the real thing has also been over-blown on SDN!

My friend said there was a passage involving electrochemistry. That, is :thumbdown: for me.

Now finishing Ch5 of TBR GChem 1, next up is a small Bio review. Then I attempt to finish h 6-10 of Physics AND GChem, Verbal before Wednesday's AAMC11. From Weds = just verbal straight through, a few passages here and there until Fri night.

****! 10/18 on another 3 TPR verbal passages...why the **** do I get the most wrong in the passages that I have the easiest time reading????

Edit: AAMC10 Spoiler ahead.

In reviewing the VR for AAMC10, this is the first verbal where I'm having serious issues with AAMC's answer descriptions.

THE AUTHOR CALLED RELIGION AN ILLUSION! I THINK THAT'S SLIGHTLY MORE PROVOCATIVE THAN "PATRONIZING"

Le sigh...

SPOILER CONTINUED

Right, but the overall tone of the passage was not provocative or picking an argument with religion- it described religion as a childish notion that society eventually grows out of. Regardless of how you feel about this opinion, that's the main point and tone of the passage.

Edit: AAMC10 Spoiler ahead.

In reviewing the VR for AAMC10, this is the first verbal where I'm having serious issues with AAMC's answer descriptions.

THE AUTHOR CALLED RELIGION AN ILLUSION! I THINK THAT'S SLIGHTLY MORE PROVOCATIVE THAN "PATRONIZING"

Le sigh...

SPOILER CONTINUED

Right, but the overall tone of the passage was not provocative or picking an argument with religion- it described religion as a childish notion that society eventually grows out of. Regardless of how you feel about this opinion, that's the main point and tone of the passage.

Religion = childish. Religion = myth. Myth = illusion. Religion = illusion.

Only a diehard atheist would think that's not being an eency weency bit provocative, dramatic, or antagonistic. It's a dumb question and I'm stickin to it.

hey guys, what exactly do we have to know about electrochemistry?

there's molten electrolysis and aqueous electrolysis, along with the reactions that take place in each. do we have to know all of this?

Just finished my last AAMC, which was 10

P10 V10 B13

Stupid mistakes in PS, but I blame it on my taking early in the AM.

averages for my Last 4 AAMCs, 7 9 11 10 respectively

PS: 10, 12, 8, 10 average: 10

VR: 8, 9, 9, 10, average 9

BS: 12, 11, 15, 13 average 12.75

BUT well see. Essentially P.S passages all week.

Guys I messed up.

I just looked at my exam information, personal info, etc. and I saw 3 things:

1. I didn't put in my middle name, and my middle name is on my license
2. I put in the wrong city in my address -- I used to live in the other city a year ago and my computer must have automatically put it in and I rushed
3. The problem is that I tried changing it and AAMC site said that I couldn't since info has already been sent to the testing center. I tried calling them on the phone number given, and it's closed. Calling them in the morning.

Do you think I'll be ok? :scared:

Guys I messed up.

I just looked at my exam information, personal info, etc. and I saw 3 things:

1. I didn't put in my middle name, and my middle name is on my license
2. I put in the wrong city in my address -- I used to live in the other city a year ago and my computer must have automatically put it in and I rushed
3. The problem is that I tried changing it and AAMC site said that I couldn't since info has already been sent to the testing center. I tried calling them on the phone number given, and it's closed. Calling them in the morning.

Do you think I'll be ok? :scared:

Fu.cking sh.it! I did the same thing (didn't add in my middle name). We'll be fine, don't worry. Just email them.