The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Guys I messed up.

I just looked at my exam information, personal info, etc. and I saw 3 things:

1. I didn't put in my middle name, and my middle name is on my license
2. I put in the wrong city in my address -- I used to live in the other city a year ago and my computer must have automatically put it in and I rushed
3. The problem is that I tried changing it and AAMC site said that I couldn't since info has already been sent to the testing center. I tried calling them on the phone number given, and it's closed. Calling them in the morning.

Do you think I'll be ok? :scared:

Fu.cking sh.it! I did the same thing (didn't add in my middle name). We'll be fine, don't worry. Just email them.

I didn't enter my middle name either. I thought it was not important. DOB, first and last name and our freaking-out face on the DL are more important right ?

Just finished AAMC10.
11/7:confused:/11
Let me go cry now.. Verbal will be the death of me.. Been ranging from 7-9 :(:(

Verbal on 10 was particularly bland...11 was much better in my opinion. I almost fell asleep during 10 and I actually enjoyed 11. Just keep your head up, we're almost there!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't enter my middle name either. I thought it was not important. DOB, first and last name and our freaking-out face on the DL are more important right ?

Just checked and I'm in the same situation. Are you all calling tomorrow? The address doesn't have to be the same though, does it? If I have my permanent address on my license, but have my school address in the AAMC system is that fine?

The last thing you want is to go to the testing center and have your information not match up. Just contact them and make sure. I'm pretty sure everything has to be identical

Relax folks. Many people make the same mistake, but the testing center doesn't care. I didn't have my middle name on the info last time. They weren't like "I don't see your middle name on the info."

Relax folks. Many people make the same mistake, but the testing center doesn't care. I didn't have my middle name on the info last time. They weren't like "I don't see your middle name on the info."

If you go on the AAMC site, they say otherwise. You may be right, but you never know. you may get a total d.ick as a proctor that doesn't allow you to take the exam

I just remembered. The name shown on your MCAT registration should be the same name as your full name (middle name included) that you have when you registered with AMCAS. That being said, it still won't show your middle name on the MCAT info even if you had input a middle name. In other words, it doesn't matter if you had a middle name entered for MCAT registration or not. The MCAT registration excludes it.

I just re-read their email and looks like they can make a big fuss about the middle name. I'll call them tomorrow anyway. Better be safe than sorry.

I didn't have my middle name in and they didn't have an issue. I would bring a back up anyways tho...like a passport or something. I think it does depend on the testing center.

Can someone help me with question #19 on AAMC8's PS section's passage IV (the question about advantage of using the inclined plane instead of free fall):

If we let the sphere slide down on the inclined plane, the height of the starting position on the plane should be lower than the height of free falling right ? Doesn't that mean the potential energy of free falling sphere is higher than the potential energy of the sphere sliding down the plane, which in turn means more kinetic energy (and hence bigger velocity) at the bottom in the case of free falling compared to sliding down the plane ?

Also, the explanation says that the path on the inclined plane is longer than free fall. How can this be ? Isn't the path 10m in both cases ?

Thanks !

Can someone help me with question #19 on AAMC8's PS section's passage IV (the question about advantage of using the inclined plane instead of free fall):

If we let the sphere slide down on the inclined plane, the height of the starting position on the plane should be lower than the height of free falling right ? Doesn't that mean the potential energy of free falling sphere is higher than the potential energy of the sphere sliding down the plane, which in turn means more kinetic energy (and hence bigger velocity) at the bottom in the case of free falling compared to sliding down the plane ?

Also, the explanation says that the path on the inclined plane is longer than free fall. How can this be ? Isn't the path 10m in both cases ?

Thanks !

The height from the bottom of the ground is 10m in both cases, but remember that it is a triangle so the hypotenuse, which the ball will roll down, is longer than 10m. It has to be, it's basic geometry.

Members don't see this ad :)
The height from the bottom of the ground is 10m in both cases, but remember that it is a triangle so the hypotenuse, which the ball will roll down, is longer than 10m. It has to be, it's basic geometry.

So, by "10m inclined plane," the question does NOT mean the plane is 10m long, but 10m refers to how high the plane is lifted away from the ground ??

So, by "10m inclined plane," the question does NOT mean the plane is 10m long, but 10m refers to how high the plane is lifted away from the ground ??

That's how I interpreted it, and I got the whole passage right so either I was really lucky or I'm guessing my thinking was correct :)

what about having the wrong city in for the address?? :(

I didn't have my middle name in and they didn't have an issue. I would bring a back up anyways tho...like a passport or something. I think it does depend on the testing center.

According to the MCAT Registration:

"Important: The names you enter in the First and Last Name fields must match the names listed on the current (unexpired), major government-issued photo ID that includes an expiration date and signature, and is required to verify your identity on test day."

Says nothing about the middle name. Though you guys let me know what they say when you call.

what about having the wrong city in for the address?? :(

That, I do not know. I get the impression that the proctor just wanted the ID for name verification. She took a quick glance to confirm the name in the database. That was pretty much it. I think the proctors know how important the exam is and knows how much of a pain it is to reschedule due to such a technicality. Just to be safe, in this case I would call to make sure though.

31/40 on TPR's Verbal Handbook Exam 1. Wow! I could have gotten a 33, too. WTF? It must have been easy. Some of their reasons are the same old "this is not as strong as the other answer", but whatevs.

Thanks !

I think what you need to realize is both spheres are released at the same height (d). If d is the same and mgh=.5mv^2 then v=sqrt(2gh). Although g on the inclined plane will be gdown plane=gsin(theta) the velocity for both is the same because Vf^2=sqrt(2a*delta X) where X is the hypotanuse of the inclined plane and a=gsin(theta). So even though g down the plane=gsin(theta) the distance down the plane (X) is considered and cancels out bc sin=O/H and X=H so g down plane=g(o/h) thus Vf^2=sqrt(2*G*O/H* H) so the H's cancel out and solving for Vf you're left with Vf=sqrt(2*g*O) which is the same as V=sqrt(2gh) because, as I stated in the first sentence d=h and is the same for both scenarios. If the objects have the same final velocity bu the sphere on the inclined plane has a greater X distance to travel then the time it takes to travel to the bottom will be greater. A less time consuming more intuitive way to think about this problem is to reference the question topic in the passage. The passage states that the ratio of d:t^2 increases as theta increases. Well what's the ratio of d:t^2? (This is how critical thinking pays off!) It is acceleration. Ok so acceleration increases as the incline gets larger--common sense masqueraded as dense and convoluted babble, common on the MCAT! So if d stays the same and we know that acceleration is greatest when the ball is dropped (because that is truly the maximim angle for the incline possible) then t must be less and thus the incline will require more time (answer choice). Or you can even make it more simpler than this and realize what the question is asking. The question specifically states that Gallileo could have just dropped the spheres instead of rolling them down a plane, but he chose the latter. What advantage would rolling spheres down a plane have over free fall with regard to "studying free falling objects"? You can eliminate B and D right away because having a shorter time to observe the spheres falling would provide no advantage to observing an already rapidly falling object (free fall). Even if you're uncertain about choice A you should be positive that choice C is true because objects on an incling will have some fraction of the total gravity that is acting on objects in free fall, thus their accelerations will be lower. Moreover, if the vertical distance is the same in the incline plane as for an object in free fall, then the distance X (hypotanuse) must be greater than the vertical distance d (this is because sin theta= O/H = d/x and if d is constant 10m then as theta increases x gets smaller to a minimum of x=d b/c the max theta=90 and sin 90=1=10/10). Therefore if the gravity affecting the sphere down the plane is some fraction of the g in freefall and acts over a larger distance X then the time it takes for the sphere to roll down the incline MUST be greater than the time it takes to free fall. It just so happens that the increase in distance X and the decrease in gravity on the inclined plane cancel eachother out so that the final velocity is the same as the final velocity of an object in free fall released from the same distance. Hope these explanations help.

If I've taken the AAMC tests about a year ago and am scoring in the 29-36 range, do you think this is an accurate gauge for how I will perform on the real test or no? Except for maybe 1 or 2 I don't remember the answers to any of the questions in each section. I remember the topics in some of the verbal passages but seldom any of the answers. In reviewing I've notices that I've actually got some wrong because my memory was playing a trick on me about whether I remembered the right answer or not (apparently I didn't if I got it wrong).

That's how I interpreted it, and I got the whole passage right so either I was really lucky or I'm guessing my thinking was correct :)

Your interpretation makes a lot of sense. It's definitely what the question expects. Thanks a lot TI ! :)

I think what you need to realize is both spheres are released at the same height (d). If d is the same and mgh=.5mv^2 then v=sqrt(2gh). Although g on the inclined plane will be gdown plane=gsin(theta) the velocity for both is the same because Vf^2=sqrt(2a*delta X) where X is the hypotanuse of the inclined plane and a=gsin(theta). So even though g down the plane=gsin(theta) the distance down the plane (X) is considered and cancels out bc sin=O/H and X=H so g down plane=g(o/h) thus Vf^2=sqrt(2*G*O/H* H) so the H's cancel out and solving for Vf you're left with Vf=sqrt(2*g*O) which is the same as V=sqrt(2gh) because, as I stated in the first sentence d=h and is the same for both scenarios. If the objects have the same final velocity bu the sphere on the inclined plane has a greater X distance to travel then the time it takes to travel to the bottom will be greater. A less time consuming more intuitive way to think about this problem is to reference the question topic in the passage. The passage states that the ratio of d:t^2 increases as theta increases. Well what's the ratio of d:t^2? (This is how critical thinking pays off!) It is acceleration. Ok so acceleration increases as the incline gets larger--common sense masqueraded as dense and convoluted babble, common on the MCAT! So if d stays the same and we know that acceleration is greatest when the ball is dropped (because that is truly the maximim angle for the incline possible) then t must be less and thus the incline will require more time (answer choice). Or you can even make it more simpler than this and realize what the question is asking. The question specifically states that Gallileo could have just dropped the spheres instead of rolling them down a plane, but he chose the latter. What advantage would rolling spheres down a plane have over free fall with regard to "studying free falling objects"? You can eliminate B and D right away because having a shorter time to observe the spheres falling would provide no advantage to observing an already rapidly falling object (free fall). Even if you're uncertain about choice A you should be positive that choice C is true because objects on an incling will have some fraction of the total gravity that is acting on objects in free fall, thus their accelerations will be lower. Moreover, if the vertical distance is the same in the incline plane as for an object in free fall, then the distance X (hypotanuse) must be greater than the vertical distance d (this is because sin theta= O/H = d/x and if d is constant 10m then as theta increases x gets smaller to a minimum of x=d b/c the max theta=90 and sin 90=1=10/10). Therefore if the gravity affecting the sphere down the plane is some fraction of the g in freefall and acts over a larger distance X then the time it takes for the sphere to roll down the incline MUST be greater than the time it takes to free fall. It just so happens that the increase in distance X and the decrease in gravity on the inclined plane cancel eachother out so that the final velocity is the same as the final velocity of an object in free fall released from the same distance. Hope these explanations help.

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I guess the key reason I got that question wrong is that I did not understand the question. I thought the "10m inclined plane" meant the plane was 10m long and one of its ends was lifted off the ground at a random angle. Now, interpreting it in a different way, as you suggest, 10m inclined plane actually means the lifted end is 10m high which equates it with a free falling position. Thank you for illustrating the problem with both equations and intuition. :)

Guys- we very well know that a few more days probably won't be a big help for our failing VR scores, lol. So what are you guys doing this final week for VR? More passages? Sigh, will just wing the VR section and pray and hope for the best!

Guys- we very well know that a few more days probably won't be a big help for our failing VR scores, lol. So what are you guys doing this final week for VR? More passages? Sigh, will just wing the VR section and pray and hope for the best!

Yea I'm worried with my VR as well. I'm probably going to be doing lots of verbal passages tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm doing alternates of TPR and EK; I have EK13+14 left; TPR 2+3, so it works out perfectly with the exam. Today: EK13, tomorrow AAMC11, thursday TPR2+EK14, Fri TPR3.

Yea I'm worried with my VR as well. I'm probably going to be doing lots of verbal passages tomorrow.

I went through my AAMCs and was happy to notice that my BS and PS scores went up, and the time I spent on each question went down as well, meaning I'm getting quicker. My average for the sciences is around an 11 (I end up making dumb careless mistakes no matter how carefully I read the question. One AAMC question asked if a negative delta H meant exothermic and I said no. Fail)

Unfortunately it was the opposite for verbal - my verbal average is a 7, which sucks because it brings my overall score down and makes it seem like I didn't put in the effort, which is completely untrue. At this point, I need a miracle...

Just finished AAMC10. Here's the breakdown: 12/6/13. I'm glad that I've increased the score ceiling 1 more point, to be 31 now. But that doesn't mean anything if my verbal is still around 6 ! If I could get an 8 on the real deal, I will be extremely happy with my score. Man, I hope I can get an 8 on Verbal so badly so that I don't get screened out.

Btw, I feel like both science sections on AAMC 10 is quite easier than AAMC 7 & 8. Anybody has the same feeling ?

****! 10/18 on another 3 TPR verbal passages...why the **** do I get the most wrong in the passages that I have the easiest time reading????

i thought TPR verbal was hard i was consistently scoring 4/6 w/ the occasional 6/6 and 5/6 spread throughout id say every 2/3 passages...also the middle/end of the practice passages were hard. I thought the tests were a lot easier but i think EK is more representative of the ambiguity found in the AAMC passages, but the passage length is most similar to TPR

Just finished AAMC10. Here's the breakdown: 12/6/13. I'm glad that I've increased the score ceiling 1 more point, to be 31 now. But that doesn't mean anything if my verbal is still around 6 ! If I could get an 8 on the real deal, I will be extremely happy with my score. Man, I hope I can get an 8 on Verbal so badly so that I don't get screened out.

Btw, I feel like both science sections on AAMC 10 is quite easier than AAMC 7 & 8. Anybody has the same feeling ?

Story of my life bro. All we can do now is hope we get lucky...

I just called AAMC. After being on hold for 20 minutes, and apparently the whole time 1 call was ahead of me, I got through.

The lady said that I will be okay. They don't look at middle names or the address.

LOL I remember when I used to go to class.

It's college. Who the fu.ck goes to class?

you bastards...every single one of my professors this semester decided "hey, screw these kids, I'm not posting lecture notes online, not posting old exams, and not assigning a text book." So I HAVE to go to class and take awesome notes. :( If I could just skip all my classes this week I'd be the happiest man alive. On the bright side, looks like I'm getting a 4.0 this semester :). On the downside, looks like I'm getting <20 on my mcat...

It's college. Who the fu.ck goes to class?

I kind of have to. They're going to notice me missing in the hospitals :|

. Man, I hope I can get an 8 on Verbal so badly so that I don't get screened out.

Well, besides Passage VII on PS in 10 (that cathode-anode one), yeah, it was pretty easy. BS had a discrete or two that was ridiculous, like what?!

I just called AAMC. After being on hold for 20 minutes, and apparently the whole time 1 call was ahead of me, I got through.

The lady said that I will be okay. They don't look at middle names or the address.

I called AAMC (the 202 area code number) earlier this morning, the man said they will make sure only first and last name matched up. They won't care about the middle name. I tried to find the number of my testing center to confirm once more but couldn't find it. Though, I guess we'll be ok. Man, I keep blaming myself for being careless on such a minor detail, because of which now I have to worry about additional thing, as if the test itself is not stressful enough.

I called AAMC (the 202 area code number) earlier this morning, the man said they will make sure only first and last name matched up. They won't care about the middle name. I tried to find the number of my testing center to confirm once more but couldn't find it. Though, I guess we'll be ok. Man, I keep blaming myself for being careless on such a minor detail, because of which now I have to worry about additional thing, as if the test itself is not stressful enough.

I myself and many of my friends had the same middle name issue, and it was NOT a problem for any of us. Don't worry.

Just took AAMC 11. This was by far the most difficult of the AAMC's in my opinion, and I've taken all of them

Kinda surprised by how I did compared to how awful I thought I did.

P8 V7 B 6 = 21

My AAMC grades in order taken:

#3 P6 V4 B6 (16)
#4 P9 V8 B7 (24)
#5 P8 V6 B4 (18)
#7 P6 V4 B5 (15)
#8 P6 V6 B7 (19)
#9 P8 V6 B6 (20)
#10 P8 V7 B8 (23)
#11 P8 V7 B6 (21)

I finished the entire EK verbal book. Did all of the TPR verbal online (30 passages). Did other verbal prep on the TPR site (15 passages or so). Did most of the 1001's.

Basically followed SN2's program to a 95% accuracy.

I don't know why the 3/24 group has so many perfectionists. Jeez. I've been so annoyed today by those kids. A couple of the funniest questions I've seen over there are: "Does a 10 on VR ruin my chance?" and "Should I retake with a 36 ?" What the heck ?

Just took AAMC 11. This was by far the most difficult of the AAMC's in my opinion, and I've taken all of them

Kinda surprised by how I did compared to how awful I thought I did.

P8 V7 B 6 = 21

My AAMC grades in order taken:

#3 P6 V4 B6 (16)
#4 P9 V8 B7 (24)
#5 P8 V6 B4 (18)
#7 P6 V4 B5 (15)
#8 P6 V6 B7 (19)
#9 P8 V6 B6 (20)
#10 P8 V7 B8 (23)
#11 P8 V7 B6 (21)

I finished the entire EK verbal book. Did all of the TPR verbal online (30 passages). Did other verbal prep on the TPR site (15 passages or so). Did most of the 1001's.

Basically followed SN2's program to a 95% accuracy.

I always throw my EK101 book when I'm done after I see all the crazy logic they have for their answers. But I'll give it ONE more try. But if I get another 8, its being shredded.

And I am pretty sure BS section, at least the biology passages on our MCAT this weekend will be closest if anything to the BS on AAMC 11. SO if anything study those and know how you messed up. The critical thinking aspect of it is stressed.

I don't know why the 3/24 group has so many perfectionists. Jeez. I've been so annoyed today by those kids. A couple of the funniest questions I've seen over there are: "Does a 10 on VR ruin my chance?" and "Should I retake with a 36 ?" What the heck ?

To be fair, some of them have 7's and 8's, which I sympathize with. But wtf @ the 36 with a 10 in Verbal. if I had that, I'd **** BRICKS.

New game plan 4/28'ers: everyone get a 14/9/14 so we can bitch about retakes Next month

I'll take it.

Nice job!

One guy: March 24, 2012 - PS -13, VR - 8, BS- 13 = 34Q

I'll take that score right now please. I'll deal with an 8.

Just finished AAMC #11...PS-11, Verbal-11, BS-10.

ecstatic about verbal! made some dumb errors in PS and BS but i'm definitely pleased overall especially since the BS section was the hardest one yet for me.