The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Soo what do you guys think? Wait till the 25th to start FL's? (34 days prior?) or the 18th?

Long time lurker here, taking the 4/28 as well. Took my first full length a couple weeks ago along with two others in the past week. I'd start them sooner than later because as I see it they are a great way to tell you what you know and what you have to relearn. I have enough to spare though (AAMC, TBR, Kaplan) and so I am not worried about running out. Started with 2 Kaplan and then did an AAMC just to make sure that the numbers I was seeing were somewhat realistic. By the sound of it you are well prepared. Go into it with confidence and you won't be disappointed!

Good luck!

So I decided to take my first FL on march 20th. Itll be AAMC 3 so hopefully I can break 30...if not I'll be in serious Doo-Doo...

Same. I'm starting them on the 28th so I have a good month to do them.

With my current pace, I'll probably start them a little later, like Apr 1st or something. I still have a couple of gaps to fill in for the content.

47 days left. Time really flies !

With my current pace, I'll probably start them a little later, like Apr 1st or something. I still have a couple of gaps to fill in for the content.

47 days left. Time really flies !
I have a LOT of gaps to fill in content - OMG ONLY 17 DAYS UNTIL WE HAVE TO START ****ING FL's ****TTT

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

those samoas or whatever the hell they're calling the purple box these days im convinced have crack sprinkled all up in them, on them, around them, and all of the above

Yup, those are the ones.
They. Get. Me. Every.Freaking.Time.

I think I snorted, i mean ate, two lines yesterday.

What? no love for grasshoppers?

One of my housemate puts those in the freezer. They are so good cold/frozen.

I think I deleted it, but i have a picture of them in the freezer with a note she attached saying "RTC I will destroy you if you eat these" or something along those lines. I laughed so hard when I opened the freezer to get some food that day.

So I decided to take my first FL on march 20th. Itll be AAMC 3 so hopefully I can break 30...if not I'll be in serious Doo-Doo...

I'd give it 3 FL's before freaking out. Take 3, 4, and 5 before making any sort of judgement. Review them before taking the next one, obviously.

It takes a bit of time to get the timing and wording down. Once you have that sorted out (after 2 fls) your score starts to 'mean more'. In my mind, you have to learn to take the test and see what to expect. Review the exams well and you'll see that the questions throw you off, not the content.

Once you figure that stuff out, i.e. how to take the test, your score will go up a bunch.

getting ready to take my first full length in about a couple of weeks... I can't decide whether I should take a couple of TPR FLs before doing AAMC 3. According to this site, TPR exams are more difficult...so I'm scared that doing TPR first will sike me out...any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
getting ready to take my first full length in about a couple of weeks... I can't decide whether I should take a couple of TPR FLs before doing AAMC 3. According to this site, TPR exams are more difficult...so I'm scared that doing TPR first will sike me out...any thoughts?

If you're done with content review, then go ahead and take the TPR FL's. These tests are going to highlight the things you need to work on - and in that sense, yes, they'll sike you out. But as long as you review, you're THAT much more prepared for the real thing. :thumbup: Besides, going in with the knowledge that the TPR FL's are harder will protect you from freaking out, if freaking out is necessitated.

I'm taking this for the 2nd time, and now I'm just trying to get through ALL of the possible practice material I can get my hands on. The first time I focused too much on content review, then did did all the AAMC's 4 weeks before my test (averaged around 32 and then got a 26 on the real thing). DON'T GET SCREWED LIKE ME! DO ALL THE PRACTICE YOU CAN! Seriously hone your endurance/test-taking skeelz.

Anyone here do TPR science workbook? Is it good?

Yup, I have it and have done some passages from it. I haven't taken any AAMC FLs or the real MCAT yet, so I can't attest to how similar/not similar they are to the real thing, but they are awesome extra practice! :thumbup:

Anyone here do TPR science workbook? Is it good?

Yeah I have it and although I've only done very minimal work in it, I plan to tear through it for the next month starting this weekend. But it's definitely worth getting if you have the money.

How are you guys doing in Verbal? I practice almost every day but cannot shake a 7 or 8. It's impossible for me. I went from a 5->7 and one 8 but I stay there no matter how much I practice or what I do. It's really frustrating me.

How are you guys doing in Verbal? I practice almost every day but cannot shake a 7 or 8. It's impossible for me. I went from a 5->7 and one 8 but I stay there no matter how much I practice or what I do. It's really frustrating me.

In the same boat. What technique are you using, though?

On ek 101's I'm getting consistent 10's but I'm really trying to get that increased...

In the same boat. What technique are you using, though?

I read the passage straight through once, only re-reading a sentence if it was long or I didn't understand it. When it comes to the Q's, I'll re-read the paragraph it came from and re-analyze the passage as a whole (in my mind) before answering. USUALLY I have ~10 seconds before 8 mins is over when I'm done, and on the passages I get >6/8 or >4/6 this method works perfectly...

On ek 101's I'm getting consistent 10's but I'm really trying to get that increased...

I hate that everyone on SDN swears by EK technique, but i can't seem to improve with it. I think that it's because it's so different than how I currently read. I improved only slightly with Kaplan's technique, because I'm forced to actively read.

I hate that everyone on SDN swears by EK technique, but i can't seem to improve with it. I think that it's because it's so different than how I currently read. I improved only slightly with Kaplan's technique, because I'm forced to actively read.

YES. THIS. When I first started Verbal practice, I would use exclusively TPRH and would get 0-2 wrong per passage. I then decided to use EK and took a full test first thing in the morning. The results? I would get either a 10 or 6. wth? :confused: but anyway, I found the explanations incredibly frustrating and useless...but by the end of it, I was thinking along the lines of EK 101...and what happened when I restarted TPR passages? I would consistently get >50% WRONG! which is scary considering how much ppl on this site say that TPR verbal is on par with the real thing. but at least now i'm back to where I started in terms of TPR

Conclusion: EK 101 waste of my time and money :annoyed:

YES. THIS. When I first started Verbal practice, I would use exclusively TPRH and would get 0-2 wrong per passage. I then decided to use EK and took a full test first thing in the morning. The results? I would get either a 10 or 6. wth? :confused: but anyway, I found the explanations incredibly frustrating and useless...but by the end of it, I was thinking along the lines of EK 101...and what happened when I restarted TPR passages? I would consistently get >50% WRONG! which is scary considering how much ppl on this site say that TPR verbal is on par with the real thing. but at least now i'm back to where I started in terms of TPR

Conclusion: EK 101 waste of my time and money :annoyed:

Samesies. I took my first FL, like a diagnostic. I don't remember which it was, but I do remember I got a 9 on the verbal, and I was f**king elated, thinking I don't need to work that hard on it. Then, I read the EK book. Result? Consistent 7 one everything verbal I lay my eyes on.

I'm using EK101 as an adjunct to the TPRH. I mean, TPRH only has like 60 or so psgs. I can't do 3 a day of those without burning through the material. It helps that I have a short term memory and usually forget passages about a week later (great for the actual subjects), but that will only last so long...so I use EK101 until a week before my 1st AAMC, then TPRH all the way. Plus, I have my passages from in class conpendium that I don't do because I'm saving them as well. THEY'RE much hard.er

Have any of you guys finished TBR Physics ? What do you think about the last 2 chapters, i.e. the Electric Circuit and the Light/Optics chapter ? I remember that these topics were pretty understandable and doable when I took my undergrad Physics. For some reasons they become a lot harder in TBR. Seriously, I've been so frustrated when reviewing these topics that I just want to tear the book into pieces and set the whole thing on fire !

Have any of you guys finished TBR Physics ? What do you think about the last 2 chapters, i.e. the Electric Circuit and the Light/Optics chapter ? I remember that these topics were pretty understandable and doable when I took my undergrad Physics. For some reasons they become a lot harder in TBR. Seriously, I've been so frustrated when reviewing these topics that I just want to tear the book into pieces and set the whole thing on fire !

TBR's last two physics chapters are terrible especially the first couple pages of the last chapter....

Yup they are bad lol.

where can i find the TPRH Science Workbook in the next few days...for a reasonable price? Sounds like it's a handy book to have

TBR's last two physics chapters are terrible especially the first couple pages of the last chapter....

Yup they are bad lol.

What alternative for these chapters did you guys use ? How about the passages of these chapters ? Are they ridiculous and not worthwhile to do as well ?

where can i find the TPRH Science Workbook in the next few days...for a reasonable price? Sounds like it's a handy book to have

You can either find it in here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230 (but kinda hard to get best deal given the vast amount of pre-med early birds on SDN lol) or Craiglist. On a note, people on SDN tend to feel prejudiced against Craiglist but I've seen a couple of good deals on there. I myself got the entire set of new untouched TPRH for a price of only $80 from Craiglist (The verbal workbook alone costs ~$100 on Amazon or eBay). Another good thing is you can contact the buyers and see the books in person before buying it. Though you kinda have to be cautious with scams if you buy things on Craiglist.

I went to the libs today to study.
Instead I found Ted Dekker books and read three of them.
Waste of a day :(

lol dittoo

ESPN first take stephen a and skip bayless killlllllll me

Dude, this shortened season is what's killing me. They squeezed so many games into a short amount of time - there's at least ONE good game on daily. 3 hours wasted :mad:

So can I ask what you all are doing currently? What's your "daily" mcat schedule look like? Practicing? Re working passages? Reviewing notes? Etc..

So can I ask what you all are doing currently? What's your "daily" mcat schedule look like? Practicing? Re working passages? Reviewing notes? Etc..

pretty much just reviewing the stuff i knew i was weak on and doing passages accordingly

ill skim through the chapter look at the questions i missed during phase 1 and 2 cover up the answer choices i marked and see if i get it right this time around...its taking a while but i feel like im making good progress

im a bit iffy about EK 1001 i feel that at this point its useless to work on discrete problems im trying to work more passages

you?

Dude, this shortened season is what's killing me. They squeezed so many games into a short amount of time - there's at least ONE good game on daily. 3 hours wasted :mad:

nothing today tho right?

btw in the words of Stephen A "dwight howard is so fickle"

nothing today tho right?

btw in the words of Stephen A "dwight howard is so fickle"

I'm a huge chauncey fan (even though he's injured), so I ended up watching the clippers (they blew a 20 point lead, so it was a pretty interesting game). Got a good 10 minutes of studying in today. FAIL:D

pretty much just reviewing the stuff i knew i was weak on and doing passages accordingly

ill skim through the chapter look at the questions i missed during phase 1 and 2 cover up the answer choices i marked and see if i get it right this time around...its taking a while but i feel like im making good progress

im a bit iffy about EK 1001 i feel that at this point its useless to work on discrete problems im trying to work more passages

you?

Yeah same, why do you say that discretes are useless though?

I'm only doing ek 1001 for topics that I completely forgot, otherwise I'm re working old passages + TPR science workbook-ing it. I only got a chance to review hardcore PS this week and barely even touched BS so I'm gonna spend next week doing BS (while concurrently using my handy new PS flash cards to stay fresh on PS) then come the 25th it's on to FL's. I'm not sure if I screwed up by doing that though...What do you think?

I'm only doing ek 1001 for topics that I completely forgot, otherwise I'm re working old passages + TPR science workbook-ing it. I only got a chance to review hardcore PS this week and barely even touched BS so I'm gonna spend next week doing BS (while concurrently using my handy new PS flash cards to stay fresh on PS) then come the 25th it's on to FL's. I'm not sure if I screwed up by doing that though...What do you think?

Ok, so I have been really procrastinating on MCAT studying. Started out strong, but slowed the past month. I am on the April 28th boat!

It's Spring break this week, and I studied like 12 hours a day (most productive for only 8 though). I finally have General Chemistry down cold. Did 9 passages from every chapter (TBR) and made flashcards. Finished most of the G. Chem. passages in the TPR Workbook as well.

I am planning to finish Physics II TBR passages this week. I have the Bio content down cold except 2 chapters, which I also hope to finish this week.

Monday - Wednesday -> TPR Biology passages (2 hours - 10 passages each hour)
Thursday - Sunday -> Physics I (did a lot of it with TPR passages)

All of the week after that will be Organic. Hopefully, my plan goes accordingly this week.

I plan to do 5-6 passages from one chapter each day TBR Biology after Organic along with taking FL.

VR - can just suck it.

Ok, so I have been really procrastinating on MCAT studying. Started out strong, but slowed the past month. I am on the April 28th boat!

It's Spring break this week, and I studied like 12 hours a day (most productive for only 8 though). I finally have General Chemistry down cold. Did 9 passages from every chapter (TBR) and made flashcards. Finished most of the G. Chem. passages in the TPR Workbook as well.

I am planning to finish Physics II TBR passages this week. I have the Bio content down cold except 2 chapters, which I also hope to finish this week.

Monday - Wednesday -> TPR Biology passages (2 hours - 10 passages each hour)
Thursday - Sunday -> Physics I (did a lot of it with TPR passages)

All of the week after that will be Organic. Hopefully, my plan goes accordingly this week.

I plan to do 5-6 passages from one chapter each day TBR Biology after Organic along with taking FL.

VR - can just suck it.

Nice bro, you're way ahead of the game. I'm leaving my last 1/3 of each chapter to do during the last month.

Nice bro, you're way ahead of the game. I'm leaving my last 1/3 of each chapter to do during the last month.

A) I feel like this thread is full of only bros
B) but I'm happy that its getting more action than any of the other upcoming MCAT thread
C) ditto to fas376. Nice schedule.

I feel like crying. I did horribly on my verbal passages. I got like 3/6, 4/7, so low. I don't know what's going on, in TPR. I'm so scared of taking my exam tomorrow. I'm not doing that great in P-Chem even though I went through all the material again this week, in depth.

Last edited:
I feel like crying. I did horribly on my verbal passages. I got like 3/6, 4/7, so low. I don't know what's going on, in TPR. I'm so scared of taking my exam tomorrow. I'm not doing that great in P-Chem even though I went through all the material again this week, in depth.

Chill, man. You've got 6 weeks left. You have plenty of time. Practicing verbal helps, but if it makes you feel any better, luck is a huge factor. I've known people that have averaged 7 in verbals but end up 10+ on the real thing simply because they found the passages somewhat relative to their interests. Relax.

What's your guys pump up music for MCAT practice?

Lana Del Rey's "Born to Die" is keeping me going at the moment.