The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

What the agreement means can be interpreted a few ways. He won't get in trouble for posting that. I doubt they even watch SDN much, they probably realize SDN is controlled by mcat fear and wouldn't dare post something anyways, lol. Besides they can't necessarily stop people from talking about the exam; only talking about the exam publicly.

I dunno, the agreement seems pretty explicit on this particular topic...

"Examples of prohibited acts include, but are not limited to: describing questions, passages or graphics from the exam; discussing exam questions on web “chat” rooms or through other means; identifying terms or concepts contained in exam questions; sharing answers to questions; referring others to information you saw on the exam; or reconstructing a list of topics tested. "

Members don't see this ad :)
I think even Dr's today would find the current MCAT a challenege, so much random obscure information. Really seems like it's testing ones ability to use time wisely, the limiting factor and demise of many. Speed comes with practice. Guess that's all we can do. Congrat's everyone your done take a breather, I got two weeks :/

I think even Dr's today would find the current MCAT a challenege, so much random obscure information. Really seems like it's testing ones ability to use time wisely, the limiting factor and demise of many. Speed comes with practice. Guess that's all we can do. Congrat's everyone your done take a breather, I got two weeks :/

meh, maybe, IMO PS today was so calc heavy and mixed in with testing pressure it was very difficult to finish everything in a timely fashion in that section

meh, maybe, IMO PS today was so calc heavy and mixed in with testing pressure it was very difficult to finish everything in a timely fashion in that section

Seconded. I was freaking out since I usually finish PS and BS with a lot of time to spare (usually 15 minutes). I was cutting down to the wire with this one.

Also, the information you need for the MCAT rarely applies to what you learn in medical school. One of the MDs in PM&R that I follow was joking around saying how he doesn't remember what stoichiometry was. Even things you learn in medical school may not apply to your residency.

I also follow the associate dean of admissions at a medical school, and he said that the scores he tends to look at are VR scores, because they're the best indicator of step 1 scores. Not BS or PS.

That being said, this test freaking sucked today.

caitlin what part of florida are you from? im near the orlando area, but went to school in pensacola.

Remember, you aren't allowed to use the bathroom between breaks anymore because of the incident that happened a few months ago so make sure you go before the test.

I live in coral springs it's like 10 min south of boca and 15 min west of ft. Lauderdale

THAT TEST WAS SO BAD! I answered my last PS question with 2 seconds left and just picked A and I made it to the review screen on verbal with 2 seconds left and saw I had left a question blank and didn't get to go back and answer it not to mention the 20 or so I had marked and I'm really good with bio and that bio section was a BITCH

Practice test Average(8 tests.): 34 [32-40]
4/28: 30-34?

Let me preface this by saying that all threads end up like this (debbie downers - pessimism) and everyone usually ends up scoring their FL average +/- 1-2 points.

However, being the classic SDN'er I am I will participate and I will be honestly. This is because although I do know the preface to be true, I can't fight the negative way I feel in terms of the possible outcome.

Not too sure what to think. I wouldn't be surprised with a 11-9-10. I'm not trying to be a douche, but in terms of effort and FL average I think I would be really upset with the score. Also, I don't have the best GPA so getting a 30 would make it even more difficult to matriculate.

Oh well. Time to look for more ways to improve the application.

Yea this one was tough... Seriously. I've taken most the practices and felt I knew what was going on most the time. This one kicked my *****.

I feel better coming here and reading the post I was hoping I wouldn't be the only one say WTF.

I think I did worse in PS, some of them I just had to ballpark a answer and hope for best. I knew time was ticking, and didnt want to be overly hung up on tedious calc.

VR I felt I kicked butt, but we will see the score lol

BS orgo I felt I was decent, the bio was a bit abstract to my knowledge at times.

Good luck guys and gals

I also feel a lot of prep books and test failed me on this... I'd been better off reading random scientific abstracts lol

I thought the PS was a lot harder than the AAMCs, a lot of calculations and I barley finished. In my opinion, the VR and BS was on the same difficultly as the AAMCs. I dont think I did well, I will be lucky if I get a 27. It is going to be a depressing month :(.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also follow the associate dean of admissions at a medical school, and he said that the scores he tends to look at are VR scores, because they're the best indicator of step 1 scores. Not BS or PS.

Which is bull****, because I'm in a medical background, and it does not hold true for me.

one word: WTF. what was the point of giving us aamc 3-11 to practice if they are gonna pull an aamc 1000 on us? not cool bro :bang:

I took the test last year and this was SO MUCH WORSE!!! I can't even describe it im at a complete loss for words

I just turned my tv on for the first time in 4 months. I love my tv. All that time without it for NO REASON

I weigh 125 lbs and I just downed 6 beers in an hour. That's about how I feel about the test. Also the guy next to me at the table at chili's took his mcat today. Crazy world.

Ima watch lord of the rings. I'm such a nerd

NOTE: I did note take the test today... just curious if people are afraid to be "that guy/gal" so I thought I would ask.

Did anyone feel this exam was reasonable or even easy? I always hear negative reactions in these threads but is there any hope at all?

It's pretty demotivating hearing these reactions when I've been killing myself for the past 4 months and rocking AAMC practice exams. Hoping for some love.

I weigh 125 lbs and I just downed 6 beers in an hour. That's about how I feel about the test. Also the guy next to me at the table at chili's took his mcat today. Crazy world.

6 beers in a hour? lol. You must be using the wrong units. the mcat uses seconds.so 6 beers at 8 sec/per beer= 48 seconds to down.

Ok. My turn:

PS: can be described by only one word: "OMG" A couple of calculation questions were of omg level of difficulty. I had to guess on these in order to finish in time. I rushed at the end and had zero minutes to spare. After this freaking section, my brain was so frozen that I forgot which way to get back to the testing center from the bathroom (my center had the bathroom outside). I panicked for like 7 minutes before I could figure out the way back. This is to say how hard the freaking PS section was.

VR: my version was easier than the AAMC practice tests but I FREAKING BOMBED IT. The PS section screwed my brain so much that I could not understand the first few passages on VR and ran out of time, ending up guessing on the last passage. Though I know it was easier than AAMC practice tests, which means 2 things: the curve will be harsher and therefore I'm screwed !

WS: lol, but a lot of thanks to it. It gave me time to recover after PS and VR's synergic assault.

BS: harder than AAMC 11 with a couple of back-stabbing questions of omg level of surprise.

Predicted: 10/3/11

Maybe I should start studying GRE to apply to grad schools :(

Let me be the first to say F*CK!!!! ****!! WTF was that PS!? And the random nit-picky details on BS!? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. I finished PS with only 2 min to go back and figure out things I guessed on, did that, and with 20 seconds left realized I hadn't answered the 3 discretes at the end. F ME. clicked randomly for them but know at least one of them was wrong. :(
I had minor orgo, except for that first passage. ...

I think we may have same version or at least similar

Last edited:

:love:

NOTE: I did note take the test today... just curious if people are afraid to be "that guy/gal" so I thought I would ask.

Did anyone feel this exam was reasonable or even easy? I always hear negative reactions in these threads but is there any hope at all?

It's pretty demotivating hearing these reactions when I've been killing myself for the past 4 months and rocking AAMC practice exams. Hoping for some love.
You need to ask that question when they get their score back..
I took the exam last year and my impression after each section was right on everything and kind of reflected my score.
However some people tend to exaggerate their feelings without really intending to do so, remember their bodies is filled with stress hormones :) ..
Even though i did worse than my average AAMC and the BS looked so strange to me when i took last year i still scored within the range of my AAMC scores..
Dont worry Engineer No matter how hard you get of a test, your score will reflect your hard work

I took the test last year and this was SO MUCH WORSE!!! I can't even describe it im at a complete loss for words

I just turned my tv on for the first time in 4 months. I love my tv. All that time without it for NO REASON

I'll be on that drunk level in approximately 3 hours. Can't f.ucking wait. GREY GOOOOSEEE BABBBYB

After taking the exam, my overall impressions were:

PS - Pretty well suited for what I knew. I was able to double check everything, and felt reasonably good about this section.

VR - On the easier side. None of the passages or questions really screwed with my mind, and I was able to double check all of the passages. Then again, I have often thought I did really well on a VR section, but ended up doing much worse, so my opinion on this section might be inaccurate.

WS - Worst section for me I think, but luckily it doesn't matter too much. One prompt I felt good about, the other I did not.

BS - Happy with the BS passages, but felt like there were some fairly detailed BS questions. I hadn't even heard of some of the things on the BS section discretes. Orgo which is my weakest subject was reasonable.

I was also really happy with the test environment. The facility was a concern before signing up, but during the test, I didn't notice any problems whatsoever.

Part of me just wants to go ahead and register for the June MCAT since I felt this completely took me by surprise. Damn computer malfunction...

I hope you guys remembered to fill out the experimental survey at the end of the mcat; if you do it they omit a few of your wrong answers.

I hope you guys remembered to fill out the experimental survey at the end of the mcat; if you do it they omit a few of your wrong answers.

I completed it, but where the hell did you hear that?

I didn't do the pre-MCAT questionnaire though. Started it, but MCAT prepping took me over.

You're a damn liar

That's just cruel

My peaceful drunk is gone and I'm now just depressed. There was one question I had on PS and I SWEAR there was no answer to it

I passed genetics in my sleep with an A and researched in a genetics lab for a year. I had issues with some of this crap.

I didn't think verbal was easy and I was avg 10-11 on my practice aamc tests.

Maybe I'm being paranoid but this was horrendous^10

You're a damn liar

That's just cruel

My peaceful drunk is gone and I'm now just depressed. There was one question I had on PS and I SWEAR there was no answer to it

I passed genetics in my sleep with an A and researched in a genetics lab for a year. I had issues with some of this crap.

i think you are being paranoid. relax. You probably did better then you realize. Ive taken the test before while I do remember it being tough, it was far from impossible.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Nothing smoother Than Icy cold Greygoose and Cranberry

Goose and redbull!

6 beers in a hour? lol. You must be using the wrong units. the mcat uses seconds.so 6 beers at 8 sec/per beer= 48 seconds to down.

This confuses me very much. I'm drunk so that may play a part but 6 beers in 1 hr=10 min per beer

I'm a beer chugging champion. Ask key west

PS: ffffuuuuuuuuuucckkkkk are you fu.cking serious aamc realllllly bro ur going to ask questions I learned like forever ago FUUUUUCKKK I knew I should've reviewed. Got to the questions lol nvm aamc thank you. NVM that nvm aamc you're a ****ing ******* go **** yourself. Making me do this calc **** an asking me questions that br an TPR didn't even cover. ****. Last passage= FUUUCKKKKKKING A ARE YOU SERIOUS Bro?!?!?!?!?!!! I DONT KNOW THIS ****. Had to guess on like 4 questions. Never guessed on any AAMC. IM SCREWED

VR: uhhhhhh first passages wtf middle passage easy read Couple questions could've gone either way. Last passages were good thank god I finished with @ least 8 min for the last two passages.

WR: HAHHAHAHAHHAHAGAGGA yeah **** these questions were hard.

BS: AGAIN AAMC are you ****ing ******ed? Making me memorize small ass details that EK SPECIFICALLY SAYS "DON'T WORRY ABOUT THIS **** YO." then you're like guess what yo I'm the aamc I fu.ck over premed err day yo. Conclusion FUUUUUUUCKKKK MAN WHAT ARE ALL THESE LITTLE DETAILS I DON'T KNOW THIS GIVE ME EXPERIMENTS!!!

predicted 9/9/9 L. I'm ****ed. That was wayyyyy hard so much like the first aamcs in terms of random ****ing details and plug and chug.

Goose and redbull!

This confuses me very much. I'm drunk so that may play a part but 6 beers in 1 hr=10 min per beer

I'm a beer chugging champion. Ask key west
meant the time you should be drinking them in, not your current time. If you get drunk on 6 beers after an hour you need to build up your tolerance ; )

so before the bio section wasnt about knowning details it was about reading experiments and lab stuff, now you guys think it's more geared towards knowning random stuff?

To me, I never understood EK's nonchalance toward details. Maybe a lot of people were missing clues in the passages, but from my point of view, you're studying for a super important test and you're committing at least a couple months to it, why not try to know every detail as well as learn the test format? At worst you're just more comfortable with the concepts you're likely to see and at best you pick up easy points here and there.

predicted 9/9/9 L. I'm ****ed. That was wayyyyy hard so much like the first aamcs in terms of random ****ing details and plug and chug.

You know, not to be an *******, but you say this every test and walk out with a 12 or 13. So...I'm predicting 12/10/12.

so before the bio section wasnt about knowning details it was about reading experiments and lab stuff, now you guys think it's more geared towards knowning random stuff?

Dude, no offense but I feel like I see you fishing for details in every single MCAT thread. The BS section is what it is. It has been trending towards more VR/experiment-type passages for a while now. There IS going to be some random detail questions. There IS going to be some orgo. How much of each of those varies test to test so it's not really worth worrying about. Just memorize everything in the EK bio book (read it 10+ times...it won't take that long) and know how to interpret a scientific experiment and you'll do great :)

Also, congrats to everyone who is done with this test. I know it's a sucky feeling now but if you need some encouragement, read some of the older test threads. A lot of people on my test felt like they bombed verbal, but once we got our scores, almost everyone was +/- 2 points of our overall AAMC average :thumbup:

Last edited:

Chill out. You're not sober right now. You'll feel better tomorrow morning.

announced on aamc.So if you get 5 questions wrong, it omits 4 of those wrong questions.

Stop being a freaking troll dude lol. You freaked people out with your bathroom story before the test and now you're making up about the survey again ? Show me the link if it's real ! :D

You know, not to be an *******, but you say this every test and walk out with a 12 or 13. So...I'm predicting 12/10/12.

That's true. He'll be the top scorer of this group :D

Did anyone else actually feel sort of relaxed while taking it? When I took it I forced myself to be extremely focused and work at a nice pace, but I wasn't filled with anxiety like normal, it almost didn't feel real while I was taking it. After each break I'd just go outside, grab my water and chat with the receptionist for 6 or 7 minutes and joke around. It really helped to keep me calm through the whole ordeal. However...during the BS section was when my heart started racing and that knot in my stomach came about...my head got all cloudy and I was finding myself reading questions four or five times to understand wtf they were asking about. Usually I feel like a kid in a candy store (maybe a little bit of an exaggeration) while taking the bio section, today was NOT like that for bio...

and @ mr neuro..LOL @ your prediction. You're such a drama queen :p I'm predicting 12/11/12 for you.

Dude, no offense but I feel like I see you fishing for details in every single MCAT thread.

Lol. Well the post test reactions are always useless so im always curious as to how people evaluate their tests.

Make no mistake, im 100% confident ill do fine. I'm not really that worried, im just waiting for the day to come so i can get it over with and not have to mess with it...I wish i had signed up for the may 12th instead of the 24th but it seems dumb to waste over a hundred dollars just to change to a 12 day earlier test. I even wish i did this test date. Cause now im just bored.

I absolutely love these threads. The paranoid posts are amazing. 3/4 of the people in this thread will probably score higher then they realize. The real curve is probably overall even better then the one for aamc 11.

And I only troll you nervous nellys because i love you duh

This is my take on it:

PS: not too crazy really but weird AND what killed me: suuuuper calculation heavy. I mean , this is the most calculations I have ever have to deal with on any AAMC-made test. that translates in me working the last 2 passages and discretes with 10 min left.

VR: similar to AAMC but longer maybe?

BS: much orgo for my taste...weird passages...experiments up the a**...not too bad overall but could have been def better.

this sucks...