The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

How many credit hours did most you take this semester?

It was really hard to find dedicated study time between a class load of Biochem, Anatomy 2, microbiology, Econ 2, Gov, and labs.

If I redo this damn test I'm taking a 1/2 load of classes

How many credit hours did most you take this semester?

It was really hard to find dedicated study time between a class load of Biochem, Anatomy 2, microbiology, Econ 2, Gov, and labs.

If I redo this damn test I'm taking a 1/2 load of classes

I graduated in December. I was stupid last time which is why I had to retake. I was taking human morphology and function, molec and cell, labs, doing 3 credits of research in a genetics lab, and immunology. That sucked

Members don't see this ad :)
why can't I stay away from this thread!? And AAMCASS, let's make a deal, I'll fill out your stinkin post test questionnaire if you give me my g*dd*mn score!

why can't I stay away from this thread!? And AAMCASS, let's make a deal, I'll fill out your stinkin post test questionnaire if you give me my g*dd*mn score!

Agree. They keep ruining our lives even after the test. This is the scenario I've been obsessed with since last Saturday: after many days struggling to recover from the battle with the MCAT beast, kryptonian now goes back to his earlier eager self and starts spending time on his AMCAS account. He meticulously polishes every detail on his application, writes his personal statements with all the passions and hopes he has, orders the transcripts and excitedly gets all the great LORs he needs. All of his ducks have been got in a straight row. All else he has to do is clicking the Submit button. BUT, to his most horrendous dismay, he logs into THx on May 30 only to find a number in low 20 and/or a Verbal of 4. His only dream is vaporized within only a few seconds ...

Well, anyway, my narrating skill is not very good. You get the picture :D. Seriously, this is the scariest thing to me :scared:

Agree. They keep ruining our lives even after the test. This is the scenario I've been obsessed with since last Saturday: after many days struggling to recover from the battle with the MCAT beast, kryptonian now goes back to his earlier eager self and starts spending time on his AMCAS account. He meticulously polishes every detail on his application, writes his personal statements with all the passions and hopes he has, orders the transcripts and excitedly gets all the great LORs he needs. All of his ducks have been got in a straight row. All else he has to do is clicking the Submit button. BUT, to his most horrendous dismay, he logs into THx on May 30 only to find a number in low 20 and/or a Verbal of 4. His only dream is vaporized within only a few seconds ...

Well, anyway, my narrating skill is not very good. You get the picture :D. Seriously, this is the scariest thing to me :scared:

Same scenario going through my head.

I keep trying to convince myself that spending the next three weeks doing my application and getting my last LORs aren't going to be a complete waste of time when I find out my score on the 30th. I thought I was alone. On this one.

I still have not gathered motivation, however, I have finally left my bed which I have been in endlessly since Sunday and have migrated to the couch where I am drinking beer and attempting to finally beat twilight princess.

I keep trying to convince myself that spending the next three weeks doing my application and getting my last LORs aren't going to be a complete waste of time when I find out my score on the 30th. I thought I was alone. On this one.

I still have not gathered motivation, however, I have finally left my bed which I have been in endlessly since Sunday and have migrated to the couch where I am drinking beer and attempting to finally beat twilight princess.

The thing is we still have to move forward anyway, even though it's a move full of uncertainty. Do you have any backup plan in case the score is not in your desired range ?

Yep. Finished the first three tabs already. Going to work on my PS tomorrow. Have you started AMCAS yourself? Also are you using interfolio?

I initiated it this morning but I probably won't touch it until I finish requesting LORs. I will use Interfolio because it looks like it's a lot cheaper than my home university's career center. It cost ~ $80 or something per year, whereas Interfolio costs a lot less than that. Hey do you think whether I should buy a 3 year plan or 5 year ? What happens after the plan ends ? Do they throw our letters away immediately if we don't renew the plan ?

Make sure you beat Ganondorf with the suit that uses rupees as damage shield. Link looks awesome in the credits when he still wears it.

I initiated it this morning but I probably won't touch it until I finish requesting LORs. I will use Interfolio because it looks like it's a lot cheaper than my home university's career center. It cost ~ $80 or something per year, whereas Interfolio costs a lot less than that. Hey do you think whether I should buy a 3 year plan or 5 year ? What happens after the plan ends ? Do they throw our letters away immediately if we don't renew the plan ?

I'm just getting the one-year plan. You can renew it every year without losing anything. Just make sure to renew before it expires.

I'm having a writer's block on my PS. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is we still have to move forward anyway, even though it's a move full of uncertainty. Do you have any backup plan in case the score is not in your desired range ?

Yeah if I absolutely have to I'll take it ONE more time at the end of July and pray that works out. I'm gunna apply DO if my scores don't come back 29+ *fingers crossed* and I'll take my GRE and apply pa also if that doesn't pan out. I'll figure something out. I just need a brain break lol. Im giving myself till this weekend and then I'll start it up. I have most of my app filled in from last year and I'm gunna work on my PS next week ad email my professor tomorrow. I'm just giving myself a few days to recoup

Why use interfolio? It looks like teachers can upload the LOR right onto your AMCAS application. What am I missing?

Why use interfolio? It looks like teachers can upload the LOR right onto your AMCAS application. What am I missing?

I'm confused also. My school has my LORs in a File. I thought I just had them sent to amcas through the school

Also, iv worked at best buy for 3 years and my immediate manager would write a badass letter for me and I know it would be amazing but I don't know of it'll count for anything or if it will look bad because it's a retail letter. I'll have 2 from professors, one from a doctor, and one from a committee MAYBE in addition to the one from my manager. Opinions?

Ok man, i am in exactly the same boat. I see everyone talking about their upper 30s score and man, i am praying i even got upper 20s. i thought it was a difficult test. trust me, you are not alone in the feeling of desperation.

Upper 20s? I'm praying for mid 20s. I'm too scared to even tell my med school connections my score.... I can see it now "umm yeah about that phone call I was going to make for you..... I don't think it'll help now...." I need to find a 4/28 person from my area, so we can become alcoholics together....

Don't anyone worry here, the more I remember about the test, and the topics, the more I realized I got wrong. I'm up to about 6 wrong for sure on PS, and 5 on BS. Here's an equation for you:

ME = 14

If 6 = a 14 then I = 4

I only remember the questions that really really pissed me off and I don't know how anyone had time to remember all the questions and answers lol

Hahaha I remember I started to mark down how many orgo passages there was so I could share on SDN... then I was like what the hell am I doing? I'm taking a test and I'm worried about telling ppl how many orgo questions there are?

I only remember one question in particular... is it err illegal to talk about questions with other people that took the same test as you? I mean what's the difference? Sharing info with non 4/28ers is the only thing to be concerned about, right?

Finish AMCAS, make my PS perfect as well as my EC descriptions, request my last two LORs, apply for jobs, start looking at past secondaries, select 30 schools...... then it's MCAT game time again. Definitely going to start reading more research articles for the next test. AAMC #11 has a passage that looks exactly like my research I did at Cornell. I'm so glad I had that experience to help me, but that was two years ago and I graduated last year... definitely need to brush up on my research article reading skills.

I'm confused also. My school has my LORs in a File. I thought I just had them sent to amcas through the school

Also, iv worked at best buy for 3 years and my immediate manager would write a badass letter for me and I know it would be amazing but I don't know of it'll count for anything or if it will look bad because it's a retail letter. I'll have 2 from professors, one from a doctor, and one from a committee MAYBE in addition to the one from my manager. Opinions?

It's so I can keep LORs on file instead of re-asking professors if I have to reapply.

I'm assuming you're using your school's LOR storage service, right ? It's basically the same as what Interfolio does. I'll use Interfolio simply because it's cheaper and more effective than my school's service. If your manager can write you a stellar one, definitely ask for it.

Like Folktale said, it's just for storage purpose. It's not required.

Ok so I finished filling out AMCAS up to coursework. Now time to focus on finals and worry about the rest of it after finals are over >_<

I'm assuming you're using your school's LOR storage service, right ? It's basically the same as what Interfolio does. I'll use Interfolio simply because it's cheaper and more effective than my school's service. If your manager can write you a stellar one, definitely ask for it.

I'm not really sure how my school does it. All I know is I have to fill out a release form and give it to my professor and they wrote the letter and mail it to the office. That's about all I know. I dont know that they even computerize it.

I entered all my coursework and am working on Activities and stuff. Hopefully I put in everything right, because of the whole "same university undergraduate-graduate; no degree undergraduate" thing. I sent PM's to some mods like sector9 asking how to classify it...not sure if I should split it up into undergraduate and graduate or just put it down in one entire thing?

ajunF.png

That's how I currently have it (2007-2013 is relevant); so the 2007-2010 is undergraduate no degree, 2010-2013 is graduate PharmD. Hopefully that's how I'm supposed to do it.

Ugh my MCAT nightmares have started. Last night I dreamt I got a 38, but that 38 turned into a 22.

It's only May 2nd. Another 28 days of this? FML

I don't think a managers letter would hurt amongst doctor and prof letters. It shows you know how to handle yourself in the real world, and a work environment.

Oh boy...I woke up today and the first thought that came to my head was a question from the PS section...I looked up the answer and turns out I had put the right answer on the test :) at least something is good about today!

^dont tell me the question...

But what general subject matter was it on, so I can see if I remember the question

I think I blocked the test from my psychological memory. I literally can only think of one or two questions from any of the sections.

I can't actively recall them, the questions will randomly flash back to me while I'm studying for other materials etc...I think the MCAT gave me PTSD :scared:

I think I blocked the test from my psychological memory. I literally can only think of one or two questions from any of the sections.

I remember a grand total of 4 questions but I haven't got a clue what I put for anything. I'm starting to think I just blindly picked answers on every section lol

Ugh thats the worst. I feel the same way too. I thought I did relatively well, but I don't know now...

The messed up thing is, with BS, I feel like there were a lot of random questions that didn't make sense...I would mention them, but I don't want AAMC to show up at my door tomorrow.

And then with PS, I feel like there were a lot of tough calc questions that I just guessed on because it would've taken too much time to do them.

All I need is a 28. *fingers crossed*

Ugh thats the worst. I feel the same way too. I thought I did relatively well, but I don't know now...

The messed up thing is, with BS, I feel like there were a lot of random questions that didn't make sense...I would mention them, but I don't want AAMC to show up at my door tomorrow.

And then with PS, I feel like there were a lot of tough calc questions that I just guessed on because it would've taken too much time to do them.

All I need is a 28. *fingers crossed*

I agree. There was one question in bio that I vividly remember saying "what the FU.CK are they even asking". There was one specific calculation that I didn't do because it would have taken me 3 minutes and I was already short on time from the 10 other calculations that had come before it and I know there was one question that I was totally stupid on and picked the wrong answer cuz I was at a complete loss but I figured it out the second I walked out and I know I got that one wrong and there was another that I just randomly picked cuz I was out of time. What freaks me out about PS is not what I know I got wrong but I never made it to the review screen so I haven't got a clue if I left anything blank and I did it for verbal and BS so chances are I did it for PS also. Argh now I'm talking myself into a panic.

If its any consolation, PS is heavily curved from my experience. It's pretty generous. I'm more worried About verbal cuz that could completely go either way...argh

Hey fellow 4/28s,

I have been following SDN for a few months now. However, I just registered today, and this is my first post.

Thanks all of you for a very informative trend. I took the MCAT last Saturday as well. It was tough! Can't wait to see the score. Good luck everyone!

TBK

So how much information do they give us with our scores? I think it was mentioned here earlier but I can't find it. Obviously they don't tell us what questions we missed, but do we get a % correct out of 52, 40, and 52? Or just that bullsh*t 0-15 scale on each section

So how much information do they give us with our scores? I think it was mentioned here earlier but I can't find it. Obviously they don't tell us what questions we missed, but do we get a % correct out of 52, 40, and 52? Or just that bullsh*t 0-15 scale on each section

You get the 0-15 scale and if you click on the link of the date it shows you your percentile score for each section for your test date. So it doesn't tell you % correct or incorrect, it just shows where you rank amongst the other test takers (eg: 83.4-95.6%)

You get the 0-15 scale and if you click on the link of the date it shows you your percentile score for each section for your test date. So it doesn't tell you % correct or incorrect, it just shows where you rank amongst the other test takers (eg: 83.4-95.6%)

Pretty sure it's impossible to get a 0. I remember reading in the official guide that it's scored between 3-45.

Not that it matters, who the hell is getting a 0?

Oh, wait... me.

Pretty sure it's impossible to get a 0. I remember reading in the official guide that it's scored between 3-45.

Not that it matters, who the hell is getting a 0?

Oh, wait... me.

Lol your gunna get ur score back and have like a 35 lol and I don't think you can get a 0 I was just saying hypothetically.

On a side note, I don't think iv ever seen a thread this long

Nothing.

No section/topic breakdown. Nothing.

It just shows your scores for PS, VR, BS, and writing.

How the f.uck is this thread still going on? Some of you guys need to get your ass off SDN and enjoy the outside world!

Anyway, are we asking application questions on this thread like we said? I have one -

Under the TMDSAS application, there's a section for "Academic Recognition." I'm obviously including Dean's List and scholarships, but do you guys think I should include the grants I received throughout undergrad?

How the f.uck is this thread still going on? Some of you guys need to get your ass off SDN and enjoy the outside world!

Anyway, are we asking application questions on this thread like we said? I have one -

Under the TMDSAS application, there's a section for "Academic Recognition." I'm obviously including Dean's List and scholarships, but do you guys think I should include the grants I received throughout undergrad?

I don't know if grants count as "academic recognition", would be better if you contact TMDSAS directly :thumbup:

---
And emailed a couple of my teachers, including one non-science (social psychology) professor that I took class a couple years ago. I got a reply from both of them, and the psych professor even mentioned my first name. Planning on talking with them tomorrow so I'm trying to finish up my PS today so I can have a packet ready for them that includes my CV and transcripts. Maybe I'll also include a format on "how to" write a recommendation letter. :luck: