The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

How the f.uck is this thread still going on? Some of you guys need to get your ass off SDN and enjoy the outside world!

Anyway, are we asking application questions on this thread like we said? I have one -

Under the TMDSAS application, there's a section for "Academic Recognition." I'm obviously including Dean's List and scholarships, but do you guys think I should include the grants I received throughout undergrad?

You should absolutely mention any money thrown your way if it is significant.

Yeah. I'm including the 10k/yr for pharmacy and another $1k I got from an actual recognition service along with the academic awards I got, as well as Dean's List. Feels good man.

Some of you guys need to get your ass off SDN and enjoy the outside world!
I had case reports to do and I started it at 11 PM after putting in all my grades and starting to write my activities, didn't even start PS yet.

****, I'm gonna do so badly on this rotation lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if grants count as "academic recognition", would be better if you contact TMDSAS directly :thumbup:

---
And emailed a couple of my teachers, including one non-science (social psychology) professor that I took class a couple years ago. I got a reply from both of them, and the psych professor even mentioned my first name. Planning on talking with them tomorrow so I'm trying to finish up my PS today so I can have a packet ready for them that includes my CV and transcripts. Maybe I'll also include a format on "how to" write a recommendation letter. :luck:

Thanks man!

Also, make sure you get your Personal Statement checked by us!

Which is why none of us can retake! Creating a new mcat group this awesome would be near impossible!

Or we can all just take it again. But that would be no fun...

How the f.uck is this thread still going on? Some of you guys need to get your ass off SDN and enjoy the outside world!

Anyway, are we asking application questions on this thread like we said? I have one -

Under the TMDSAS application, there's a section for "Academic Recognition." I'm obviously including Dean's List and scholarships, but do you guys think I should include the grants I received throughout undergrad?

You're still on here too lol. I can enjoy the outside world and SDN. The power of smart phones!

Thanks man!

Also, make sure you get your Personal Statement checked by us!

Whatta coincidence! I worked on a chunk of my PS just now. Not completely done with it, but I feel like I got a chunk of it done already. Will just need to add a few more stuff, then editing. Thanks man I'll let you guys see it. Where can I share it?

Lol yea this thread is ****ing LEGENDARY.
On a side note, I don't think iv ever seen a thread this long
hahaha yeah I feel thrilled to be part of this group

Are you talking about the financial aid grants ? Can we include it in the AMCAS guys ??

And emailed a couple of my teachers, including one non-science (social psychology) professor that I took class a couple years ago. I got a reply from both of them, and the psych professor even mentioned my first name. Planning on talking with them tomorrow so I'm trying to finish up my PS today so I can have a packet ready for them that includes my CV and transcripts. Maybe I'll also include a format on "how to" write a recommendation letter. :luck:

I have just completed only the first 2 tabs and still haven't contacted any writers. Darn ! And I have 3 essays to write. Looks like I'm the worst procrastinator here.

Are you talking about the financial aid grants ? Can we include it in the AMCAS guys ??

I have just completed only the first 2 tabs and still haven't contacted any writers. Darn ! And I have 3 essays to write. Looks like I'm the worst procrastinator here.

No ur not, I am. I haven't started my PS and I haven't touched amcas. But I did a lot of it last year I think I'm gunna redo it all though. I also have to email a prof for a LOR so no worries. I'm farther behind than you are

Has anyone gone insane from waiting for their scores? Literally, like, had to be institutionalized because of it??!

Yeah. I'm including the 10k/yr for pharmacy and another $1k I got from an actual recognition service along with the academic awards I got, as well as Dean's List. Feels good man.

I had case reports to do and I started it at 11 PM after putting in all my grades and starting to write my activities, didn't even start PS yet.

****, I'm gonna do so badly on this rotation lol.

Were those grants you're talking about?

and Folktale - I would just PM your personal statement to people you regularly talk to on SDN. I wouldn't randomly post it for the whole world to see. just my personal opinion

No ur not, I am. I haven't started my PS and I haven't touched amcas. But I did a lot of it last year I think I'm gunna redo it all though. I also have to email a prof for a LOR so no worries. I'm farther behind than you are

lol ok, we're both worst procrastinators :D

and Folktale - I would just PM your personal statement to people you regularly talk to on SDN. I wouldn't randomly post it for the whole world to see. just my personal opinion

Agree with fas. Try to maintain your anonymity as best as you can and also that will save you from bad-egg premeds.

Members don't see this ad :)

Agree with fas. Try to maintain your anonymity as best as you can and also that will save you from bad-egg premeds.

Thanks for getting my back guys. :thumbup:

Hey btw Kryptonian, did you give your letter writers a packet? Like did you give them a copy of your transcripts? CV? Did you just let them write the letter however they want to or did you give them a guideline on how to write the letter? :thumbup:?

LOL I haven't even logged in to aaamc's website

Kryptonian, I also just registered to Interfolio just a few moments ago. Ended up picking the 3-year deal.

Kryptonian, I also just registered to Interfolio just a few moments ago. Ended up picking the 3-year deal.
That's what I'm going to do in a few hours.

Hey btw Kryptonian, did you give your letter writers a packet? Like did you give them a copy of your transcripts? CV? Did you just let them write the letter however they want to or did you give them a guideline on how to write the letter? :thumbup:?
That's what I'm thinking about right now. I saw on another thread people suggest I should give the writers a guideline. I'm still debating about this because I have a feeling if I give them a guideline to follow, they may think "what the heck, this kid is showing me how to write a letter," as they must have written hundreds of medical school letters now. On the other hand, there's a small risk they'll write irrelevantly to medical school. But I probably play on the safe side, not giving them the guideline. I'll probably just give them my CV with my GPA on it. I'm pretty sure my writers won't bother looking at my transcript because they know me well enough to write. If you have a PS ready, then you may want to give it to your writers too. I want to include a PS as well, but the problem is I haven't started anything.

Last edited:
That's what I'm going to do in a few hours.

That's what I'm thinking about right now. I saw on another thread people suggest I should give the writers a guideline. I'm still debating about this because I have a feeling if I give them a guideline to follow, they may think "what the heck, this kid is showing me how to write a letter," as they must have written hundreds of medical school letters now. On the other hand, there's a small risk they'll write irrelevantly to medical school. But I probably play on the safe side, not giving them the guideline. I'll probably just give them my CV with my GPA on it. I'm pretty sure my writers won't bother looking at my transcript because they know me well enough to write. If you have a PS ready, then you may want to give it to your writers too. I want to include a PS as well, but the problem is I haven't started anything.

Yea, I decided not to include a guideline. They should know how to write one hopefully. I'm pretty close to all of my letter writers except for one, which is the non-science LOR (social psych) professor that I took a class with two years ago. And yes, I'll also add my CV, transcript, some background info, and a rough copy of my PS. On the transcript and/or CV, I decided to highlight my grade for the class I took a class with each professor, along with research I've done with each one (for the ones I did research with).

Yea, I decided not to include a guideline. They should know how to write one hopefully. I'm pretty close to all of my letter writers except for one, which is the non-science LOR (social psych) professor that I took a class with two years ago. And yes, I'll also add my CV, transcript, some background info, and a rough copy of my PS. On the transcript and/or CV, I decided to highlight my grade for the class I took a class with each professor, along with research I've done with each one (for the ones I did research with).

2 of my writers are my employers, so these folks know me quite closely. The third one is a social science professor and I'm pretty close to her. Hopefully they'll put in super good words for me. Btw, do you know how long it takes Interfolio to update our profile after they receive the hard copy of the letters ?

For my two science LOR as well as two physician LOR's I just gave them a packet that included: what capacity they knew me in (I.E. which class, what grade I made or the amount of time I worked with them), why I choose them to write a LOR (in a non-brown nose way), a list of my EC's and my personal statement. My non-science LOR came from my stock market professor I had 4 years ago, knowing the majority of his class is multimillionaire professional's, I was fully aware he never wrote a LOR, so I included the following statement, "Due to being a finance professor, I acknowledge you may or may not have previously written a medical school letter of recommendation. For your consideration, I attached a document of information that includes the following: classes, personal statement for my medical school application (draft), my college extracurricular (draft) and content information on what medical school admissions committees look for in a letter of recommendation."

I compiled the "how to write a med school LOR" from several resources that included Harvard and UPenn's pre-med LOR guide.

I still have to ask for two more LOR's and I feel as if I'm behind -- I want to submit my application on the first day. Not a gunner, just need all the help I can get. One is from a surgeon that I previously worked with on clinicals, worked with on my job, he is the VP of my foundation and he just offered me a job (which could include research). He is on the admissions committee on a top 10 med school, so I definitely don't want to say "Hey I think you should write it this way," but I might say something along the lines "Over the years I have worked with you in the educational, work, volunteer and research capacities. You have been a strong influence in my endeavors and it is such a privilege to have the opportunity to get to know you, because of this I would be honored if you wrote on my behalf for a letter of recommendation...."

I'm too scared to ask for a LOR from my research PI's -- pretty sure they would have no idea who I am it's been two years for one and three/four years for the other. I talked to a dean at the med school I did research at and he said it was pretty much "mandatory" to have a LOR from your research PI's.

For my two science LOR as well as two physician LOR's I just gave them a packet that included: what capacity they knew me in (I.E. which class, what grade I made or the amount of time I worked with them), why I choose them to write a LOR (in a non-brown nose way), a list of my EC's and my personal statement. My non-science LOR came from my stock market professor I had 4 years ago, knowing the majority of his class is multimillionaire professional's, I was fully aware he never wrote a LOR, so I included the following statement, "Due to being a finance professor, I acknowledge you may or may not have previously written a medical school letter of recommendation. For your consideration, I attached a document of information that includes the following: classes, personal statement for my medical school application (draft), my college extracurricular (draft) and content information on what medical school admissions committees look for in a letter of recommendation."

I compiled the "how to write a med school LOR" from several resources that included Harvard and UPenn's pre-med LOR guide.

I still have to ask for two more LOR's and I feel as if I'm behind -- I want to submit my application on the first day. Not a gunner, just need all the help I can get. One is from a surgeon that I previously worked with on clinicals, worked with on my job, he is the VP of my foundation and he just offered me a job (which could include research). He is on the admissions committee on a top 10 med school, so I definitely don't want to say "Hey I think you should write it this way," but I might say something along the lines "Over the years I have worked with you in the educational, work, volunteer and research capacities. You have been a strong influence in my endeavors and it is such a privilege to have the opportunity to get to know you, because of this I would be honored if you wrote on my behalf for a letter of recommendation...."

I'm too scared to ask for a LOR from my research PI's -- pretty sure they would have no idea who I am it's been two years for one and three/four years for the other. I talked to a dean at the med school I did research at and he said it was pretty much "mandatory" to have a LOR from your research PI's.

Take a deep breath and wipe off your nose lol...

I felt that Kaplan prep does a good job preparing you for the physical science section. Their practice tests are usually pretty calc heavy. So if the actual MCAT is as well then you're in good shape or if its less calc heavy then you're even better off!

2 of my writers are my employers, so these folks know me quite closely. The third one is a social science professor and I'm pretty close to her. Hopefully they'll put in super good words for me. Btw, do you know how long it takes Interfolio to update our profile after they receive the hard copy of the letters ?

I'm not sure. I guess they still have to verify it first, which might take a couple of days. And I've also predicted that my professors are probably going to prefer just mailing the letters instead of doing the signing up to interfolio, digital signatures, and whatnot. So I printed a hard copy of the request forms for each of the three faculty professors i've had class with, one for my PI, and another one for a physician in the local hospital. Didn't really include a "guide to writing" med school letters because I'm assuming they already have the knowledge to write letters. Going to school tomorrow to get at least half of it done.

I'm very close to my PI, so that's good I guess. It's just the non-science prof that I'm kind of worried about. I'm just going to ask her to write me something about me doing well in her class two years ago. That's basically what I had with her, no research or anything. She's nice, so hopefully she'll be creative with it.

I felt that Kaplan prep does a good job preparing you for the physical science section. Their practice tests are usually pretty calc heavy. So if the actual MCAT is as well then you're in good shape or if its less calc heavy then you're even better off!

That makes absolutely no sense. If it's more calc heavy you're good, and if it's less calc heavy, you're still good? Um no. Less calc heavy would mean it's more conceptual based, would mean you're f'd....

Woooh only thing I'm actually done with are getting my LOR's. According to my health professions advisor who gets to read them, he told me they are pretty kick ass as well :)

I've been thinking about this lately and i have come to a few conclusions here; follow me
As I have read through the last few years of "official MCAT clubs" here on SDN there is this trend -usually, different MCAT tests have one killer section PS or BS) and the other not so bad or just plain easier. VR is usually constant in difficulty. Now by the time scores come around, the harder section is curved accordingly (from a preset distribution) and people in general end up doing better than expected AND the "easier" section gets curved much more tightly, thus people end up doing a bit worse than expected.
This is just an observation not a rule, but check it out for yourself . Now, in my experience, the MCAT that we just took was on the harder side for both PS and BS. Maybe not for a lot of people but, in my book, very heavy calc PS (not impossible diificult but just heavy calc) AND 3 orgo passages on BS make for a difficult MCAT all around.
My conclusion: we are going to be surprised by much better scores than expected due to difficulty of the 4/28 test in general.
this is my wish anyway...

I've been thinking about this lately and i have come to a few conclusions here; follow me
As I have read through the last few years of "official MCAT clubs" here on SDN there is this trend -usually, different MCAT tests have one killer section PS or BS) and the other not so bad or just plain easier. VR is usually constant in difficulty. Now by the time scores come around, the harder section is curved accordingly (from a preset distribution) and people in general end up doing better than expected AND the "easier" section gets curved much more tightly, thus people end up doing a bit worse than expected.
This is just an observation not a rule, but check it out for yourself . Now, in my experience, the MCAT that we just took was on the harder side for both PS and BS. Maybe not for a lot of people but, in my book, very heavy calc PS (not impossible diificult but just heavy calc) AND 3 orgo passages on BS make for a difficult MCAT all around.
My conclusion: we are going to be surprised by much better scores than expected due to difficulty of the 4/28 test in general.
this is my wish anyway...

I have the same wish dude. But my VR was very easy, and I bombed that part after spending a lot of mental energy on the freaking PS.

I'm not sure. I guess they still have to verify it first, which might take a couple of days. And I've also predicted that my professors are probably going to prefer just mailing the letters instead of doing the signing up to interfolio, digital signatures, and whatnot. So I printed a hard copy of the request forms for each of the three faculty professors i've had class with, one for my PI, and another one for a physician in the local hospital. Didn't really include a "guide to writing" med school letters because I'm assuming they already have the knowledge to write letters. Going to school tomorrow to get at least half of it done.

Yeah. I was about to ask my LOR writers to upload electronically, but then I realized that would require them extra work: print it out, sign it, scan it back, upload it. So I'll just request hard-copies and play the old-school method: mailing.

Ohhhh, there were only two Orgo passages!! It was surprising though, I definitely wasn't expecting 2 - especially since there was only one easy one on the Jan 28th.

Ohhhh, there were only two Orgo passages!! It was surprising though, I definitely wasn't expecting 2 - especially since there was only one easy one on the Jan 28th.
Really? I think I had 3...at the very least 2.5 (2 full ) and a bunch of FSQ...I still think i had 3 but its all a blur now.

Yeah it was 2...I remember face palming when I got to the second one. I do weird things when I test...people watching the security cameras probably had a good laugh lol

Yeah it was 2...I remember face palming when I got to the second one. I do weird things when I test...people watching the security cameras probably had a good laugh lol

Lol I remember the first one having trouble remembering the 2nd one someone pm me and remind me lol

Lol I remember the first one having trouble remembering the 2nd one someone pm me and remind me lol

Daamn son calm down with your lol's :p

Also, first final is 8am tomorrow, if I get mediocre grades on my finals I'll have a 4.0 for the semester woot woot.

You guys- I just got a letter in the mail from University of Medicine and Health Sciences St. Kitts- does this mean I bombed the MCAT!? haha, just kidding. . . sort of. . .

Something about "thanks for your interest" - definitely never expressed interest in a caribbean school- what if they auto-mail everyone under a certain score!? so paranoid these days .. .

You guys- I just got a letter in the mail from University of Medicine and Health Sciences St. Kitts- does this mean I bombed the MCAT!? haha, just kidding. . . sort of. . .

Oh man...I didn't get anything from St. Kitts. Does that mean I got a 0-2-0 :(
And yes...I do think Verbal was my best section unfortunately

So true...
I've also been having MCAT flashbacks and nightmares. 27 more days.

Oh man...I didn't get anything from St. Kitts. Does that mean I got a 0-2-0 :(
And yes...I do think Verbal was my best section unfortunately

Bahwahaha I feel you. At least you're getting letters? The Caribbean might be nice?

Just went to my university today, and was planning on asking two professors today. Coincidentally, all 4 professors were on campus at the time, so I asked each of the four for a letter and they all said they are more than happy to write me one and wished me luck on my applications. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Next up, MD physician tomorrow at the hospital. :luck:

I just hope the MCAT does not disappoint. :cool: