The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Just went to my university today, and was planning on asking two professors today. Coincidentally, all 4 professors were on campus at the time, so I asked each of the four for a letter and they all said they are more than happy to write me one and wished me luck on my applications. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Next up, MD physician tomorrow at the hospital. :luck:

I just hope the MCAT does not disappoint. :cool:

:thumbup: lucky you. Yep, it all depends on the MCAT. Man I'm just so afraid of the Verbal. If it turns out to be a 4 or sth, I don't know what to do :(

:thumbup: lucky you. Yep, it all depends on the MCAT. Man I'm just so afraid of the Verbal. If it turns out to be a 4 or sth, I don't know what to do :(

Don't worry man, I feel the same. But at least we'd have our apps ready and all. We'll be fine, hopefully.

ugh I hear you

I just fear of opening ThX and seeing something like 7/7/7 or something, Idk I'm being such a pessimist about this :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one worried about getting a mediocre mid range score? If I get a low score I'll be damn upset but it'll at least give me a chance to prepare better for the next run. If I get a high score I'll be ecstatic. But if I get a crappy mid range score I'll be upset because it probably won't be worth it to retake it and it won't help my application one bit.

Am I the only one worried about getting a mediocre mid range score? If I get a low score I'll be damn upset but it'll at least give me a chance to prepare better for the next run. If I get a high score I'll be ecstatic. But if I get a crappy mid range score I'll be upset because it probably won't be worth it to retake it and it won't help my application one bit.
Just curious, what would you consider mediocre?

With my low gpa, an "average" mcat score would be mediocre for my application. So to avoid sounding like a complete dick I won't say any numbers.

Same position as you, I'm still a month away from my test but I'm already freaking out about having to wait for the score. I can visualize the moment when I check the score online... and it's not what I hoped... and I jump out the window... of my mansion that's connected to a water slide and say f med school. (If only :rolleyes:)

You dont have to telle about worrying about verbal. I got to the review screen with 2 seconds left and see one question on verbal incomplete. Never got to answer it and I'm not even sure that was the only one. One unanswered on verbal is like three unanswered on PS with the low curve they give verbal. And I already screwed up verbal once.

I'm so screwed...ugh.

I'm thinking the same thing. With my low gpa my mcat score is crucial, so if I get a 33 I'll pissed becaused it's not really a retake-worthy score but also won't compensate for my gpa. I either need a sub 30 score so I can just retake or like a 37. Ugh...fml.

I'm thinking the same thing. With my low gpa my mcat score is crucial, so if I get a 33 I'll pissed becaused it's not really a retake-worthy score but also won't compensate for my gpa. I either need a sub 30 score so I can just retake or like a 37. Ugh...fml.

I'm not sure what you guys are considering a "low" gpa. I have a cGPA of exactly 3.5. It's low by med school standards but a 33 will get me in to a lot of schools. My friend graduated with a BA in business with a 2.7 and went back to school and took just the required classes for med school and got a 32 on his mcat. Hes accepted into 3 amazing schools and on hold at two top notch schools. Hope is not lost with a 33. His gpa when he applied was around a 3.1 possibly lower. Granted he has a lot of other things going for him but I think you guys are being much more critical than necessary

lolwat? 33 is awesome, regardless of your gpa, unless your sub 3.0

Lol I remember the first one having trouble remembering the 2nd one someone pm me and remind me lol

Since you remember the first one and that's the one I fear I accidentally skipped entirely, can you pm me and remind me? ha :idea:

LOL I just a letter from the Caribbean too.

I mean, the most frustrating thing is that I feel like this test determines everything - your entire life essentially comes down to that moment you open that screen and see those numbers. Based on that split second, you'll know whether or not you'll go far, or your dreams are essentially crushed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Kryptonian, are you going to add the Letter Request form that AMCAS provides for each letter writer? I mean, are you going to include that to the packet you're going to give each teacher? I didn't include mine b/c interfolio just lets you add the letter IDs yourself. But I'm just curious as to how you're approaching this.

You dont have to telle about worrying about verbal. I got to the review screen with 2 seconds left and see one question on verbal incomplete. Never got to answer it and I'm not even sure that was the only one. One unanswered on verbal is like three unanswered on PS with the low curve they give verbal. And I already screwed up verbal once.
I'm so screwed...ugh.

lol When I got to the last passage, there were only 2 minutes left, and I randomly guessed on that one. Plus, I'm a ESL speaker and thus there's no certainty about getting other passages' questions correct. If you're a native speaker, I don't think you should worry too much about missing that last question, as very likely you got majority of the other questions correct.

I mean, the most frustrating thing is that I feel like this test determines everything - your entire life essentially comes down to that moment you open that screen and see those numbers. Based on that split second, you'll know whether or not you'll go far, or your dreams are essentially crushed.

:thumbup: Exactly !

Hey Kryptonian, are you going to add the Letter Request form that AMCAS provides for each letter writer? I mean, are you going to include that to the packet you're going to give each teacher? I didn't include mine b/c interfolio just lets you add the letter IDs yourself. But I'm just curious as to how you're approaching this.

No, I won't give them AMCAS Form. I'll only give them Interfolio form. When all letters are in, I'll then forward from Interfolio to AMCAS. If I give them both forms, they'll be confused and very likely they'll mess things up.

lol When I got to the last passage, there were only 2 minutes left, and I randomly guessed on that one. Plus, I'm a ESL speaker and thus there's no certainty about getting other passages' questions correct. If you're a native speaker, I don't think you should worry too much about missing that last question, as very likely you got majority of the others correct.

I'd agree with you but I already trashed verbal once lol. Also, iv found that ESL speakers tend to do better. I have a very limited amount of people that I'm basing that opinion on but everyone I know who learned Spanish as their primary language and then learned English has done amazing on verbal. I don't know if that's a coincidence or not tho...

I make my university a 0-6 true and true, all 6 years undergraduate. I call AMCAS, they say make it 3 and 3. So I delete the university and re-enter 60 courses. I call AMCAS for naming, and also follow up, they say delete and rename all 0-6 because on my transcript it's all undergraduate. So I delete one of them and redo all for 60. I call AMCAS today again for classification of some courses, again ask them, now they're "unsure".

**** it, I'm going to do whatever I feel like and they can deal with it. I'm not entering courses six times. It says UNDERGRADUATE on all courses on my transcript, but they want me to list it 3&3, if I get rejected I will ****ing flip ****.

No, I won't give them AMCAS Form. I'll only give them Interfolio form. When all letters are in, I'll then forward from Interfolio to AMCAS. If I give them both forms, they'll be confused and very likely they'll mess things up.

Exactly what I was thinking. Thank you. :thumbup:

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'll rephrase.

"based on that split second, you'll know whether or not you're going to get in that cycle or will have to reapply the following year"

Chill out. your life won't be over with a bad score. worst case scenario, you'll have to retake and apply again the following year. quit being so damn dramatic

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'll rephrase.

"based on that split second, you'll know whether or not you're going to get in that cycle or will have to reapply the following year"

Chill out. your life won't be over with a bad score. worst case scenario, you'll have to retake and apply again the following year. quit being so damn dramatic

Harsh words but In a sense I agree with her. It kinda does determine your future in one way shape or form. I also agree with you it is a bit dramatic. Life isn't over if you do bad, you buckle up and do it again.

Absolutely I'm being dramatic, lol. I tend to do that when I talk, but you're right. I agree completely - it's not the end of the world for sure and it doesn't determine the rest of your life. I meant in a sense that I would be completely devastated and discouraged if I did badly. In essence, this test does determine a lot - yes I can apply next cycle, but at the end of the day, it does influence what happens with my life.

At least for me, re-taking was extremely difficult. After spending the entire year studying, scoring a 25 was a slap in my face. I had doubts about my intelligence, motivation, etc.. It was rough for me to go through that, yes, I pulled it together and probably scored better this time - but a 3rd time - that's pushing it. That's why I feel like what I want to do hinges on this score. I was advised that taking the MCAT 3X isn't recommended and that if I have to take the MCAT a 3rd time - to just scrap it and pick a new field because it would significantly hurt my chances of getting into med school.

Absolutely I'm being dramatic, lol. I tend to do that when I talk, but you're right. I agree completely - it's not the end of the world for sure and it doesn't determine the rest of your life. I meant in a sense that I would be completely devastated and discouraged if I did badly. In essence, this test does determine a lot - yes I can apply next cycle, but at the end of the day, it does influence what happens with my life.

At least for me, re-taking was extremely difficult. After spending the entire year studying, scoring a 25 was a slap in my face. I had doubts about my intelligence, motivation, etc.. It was rough for me to go through that, yes, I pulled it together and probably scored better this time - but a 3rd time - that's pushing it. That's why I feel like what I want to do hinges on this score. I was advised that taking the MCAT 3X isn't recommended and that if I have to take the MCAT a 3rd time - to just scrap it and pick a new field because it would significantly hurt my chances of getting into med school.

I think how much this MCAT result impacts one's life depends on that person's specific situation. For some, bombing this MCAT doesn't have a lot of effects and he/she can simply retake it. For others, there are more implications beyond simply retaking or reapplying. Each of us is the only one who can assess accurately how bombing this MCAT affects the course of our journey. In any case, the only thing I've been praying for is a verbal of 8. That's all.

You're talking about Step 1 not the MCAT because if you pass the step 1 you're not allowed to retake. In an essense that defines if you will be an underpaid family practitioner in bumble **** or a plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills or better yet a worker at Mcdonalds paying off 4 years of medical school loans.

You're talking about Step 1 not the MCAT because if you pass the step 1 you're not allowed to retake. In an essense that defines if you will be an underpaid family practitioner in bumble **** or a plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills or better yet a worker at Mcdonalds paying off 4 years of medical school loans.

I agree.

Even if you have to take the MCAT three times, so be it. I'm sure you can get in somewhere.

Hi everyone! Back on here after having no internet connection lols.
Anyway, about to start my AMCAS! and PS! aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
so little time..
One the bright side, have all 3 LORs from professors already in my interfolio :) Just waiting for my employer to send hers in. One less thing to worry about!
How's everyone?

Yeah, I have to start my PS today as well. I have no idea how, or what to write.

I had no idea either. I spent one day going over ideas in my head, one "formulating" my PS in my head and the third day I finally put some words on paper. Note "words" -- it was in no form of a PS yet. Then a few days later I had a very rough draft. I sent it to people to look at and they tore it apart....now i have to work on it some more. AHH

Hey guys, new poster here. I also took the MCAT on 4/28 and I've been getting frequent nightmares!!!

I'm not sure whether I should continue to study for a retake or not. I'm afraid I might see a 5 or 7 on the verbal... Is anyone else still continuing to study???

My freshmen year I had a horrible GPA (ended with a 2.3) I went to a VERY competitive school. At that time I was a varsity soccer player. After that year I decided medicine was what I truly wanted to do. I couldn't afford to go to that school without playing soccer, and soccer was no longer what I wanted to do. I transferred to a state school and graduated with a 3.8. I just took my MCATS on 4-28 and feel pretty confident. I have worked in a hospital for over a year with direct patient contact, lots of shadowing, and was in a sorority. Will application committees look past my freshmen year considering I moved from a small rural town in texas to a competitive school in New York City, played soccer, and have done almost flawless since I transferred or will they automatically write me off (my overall gpa for my application is about a 3.43 -I had a lot of hours from high school that were all A's and took 12 hours of summer school at a community college between my freshmen and soph. year that brought my transfer GPA to a 3.0)
Oh and also I got a scholarship for a Master of Science Program in Molecular Pathology that I will be doing from now till May 2013!

My freshmen year I had a horrible GPA (ended with a 2.3) I went to a VERY competitive school. At that time I was a varsity soccer player. After that year I decided medicine was what I truly wanted to do. I couldn't afford to go to that school without playing soccer, and soccer was no longer what I wanted to do. I transferred to a state school and graduated with a 3.8. I just took my MCATS on 4-28 and feel pretty confident. I have worked in a hospital for over a year with direct patient contact, lots of shadowing, and was in a sorority. Will application committees look past my freshmen year considering I moved from a small rural town in texas to a competitive school in New York City, played soccer, and have done almost flawless since I transferred or will they automatically write me off (my overall gpa for my application is about a 3.43 -I had a lot of hours from high school that were all A's and took 12 hours of summer school at a community college between my freshmen and soph. year that brought my transfer GPA to a 3.0)
Oh and also I got a scholarship for a Master of Science Program in Molecular Pathology that I will be doing from now till May 2013!

They look at most recent grades and extreme upward trend as in your case always strengthens an application. I think you will be fine with a 3.43 but it boils down to what you score on the MCAT. Any score > 30 will put you in a reasonable position as long as you apply early and broadly and your ECs, LORs, PS and secondaries are strong.

They look at most recent grades and extreme upward trend as in your case always strengthens an application. I think you will be fine with a 3.43 but it boils down to what you score on the MCAT. Any score > 30 will put you in a reasonable position as long as you apply early and broadly and your ECs, LORs, PS and secondaries are strong.

thanks!

the mcat may determine your chances, but ultimately you determine your mcat.

Also, I hate the ego and bias sdn people often have. You are not "better" or "too good" for any school, whether it's DO or Carib. You are not special. You are the same hunk of decaying organic matter as every other pre med. Your mommy and daddy lied to you.

Also, you think the MCAT curve is harsh?

76DBN.png

oh god why

Undergrad: 93+ = A
Graduate, I.E normal: 90+ = A, 80+ = B, <80=F
I've been under 90=A for the past 3 years, holy **** at this.

Are all you doing committee letter from pre health, or just Getting individual LOR's?

My pre-health advisor really annoys me, and I'd rather not deal with her.

I'm glad UT system has a flat grading system, I can't tell you how many times a 89.5% has landed me a solid "A" ie this semesters biochem.

I'll take that over the +/- system any day.

I'm glad UT system has a flat grading system, I can't tell you how many times a 89.5% has landed me a solid "A" ie this semesters biochem.

+\- sucks. I had a 92.8 in a class and landed an A- cuz it was .2 away from a 93 which is an A. Killed my 4.0 that semester. Bastards. +\- is stupid. An A is an A.

Another fellow Texas resident. What's good baby!

Me as well.... does anyone have suggestions on how to start it?

I'm 90% finished with mine, first draft today. It flows quite well, IMO. Here was my tip: I built up some rage while looking at the schools that were ****ing around with me. I wrote straight from my memory about the instances that made me choose MD. There are topics on the Allo board, and I suggest you follow the most important: start with a hook. Mine did, and I think it's really great. I also wrapped up my PS by re-referencing that hook. Barring grammar, I think it's quite good. Also, make sure it's true (duh) but more importantly, just continually addresses why medicine? I made sure of that. After that, it took me three hours to write. Also if you have writer's block, minimize, go look at some...uh...."TV" or whatever, because I did :D and it relaxed my mind off writer's block.

Are all you doing committee letter from pre health, or just Getting individual LOR's?

My pre-health advisor really annoys me, and I'd rather not deal with her.

Here are my LOR's:
1. Dr. B1 &#10003; [LAB]
2. Dr. B2 &#10003; [LAB]
3. Dr. S &#10003; [LAB]
4. Dr. R &#10003; [LAB]
5. Dr. A &#10003; (coursework)
6. Dr. E (X) (assistant dean - didn't write one yet, and may not get to use...I have dean's!)
7. Dr. M &#10003; (Dean)
8. Dr. M &#10003; (PhD I'm friendly with)
9. Dr. S [&#10003;] (submitted last, at this point the person was like you have too many letters...)
10. A (Walgreens) &#10003; (work)
11. Dr. B3 &#10003; (primary care doc)
12. Dr. W + Dr. M &#10003; (hospital pharms, not my job)
13. Dr. M &#10003;

So I dunno how to do a committee letter. I have to separate the independent ones - Work, Shadowing, Hospital. If I'm applying MD/PhD, maybe the lab ones should also be separated. So that makes 8 all together: 4 Lab + 3 third party + 1 committee. I guess that works.

You kind of have to use committee, I always thought committee takes letters from individual professors and consolidates them.

I'm 90% finished with mine, first draft today. It flows quite well, IMO. Here was my tip: I built up some rage while looking at the schools that were ****ing around with me. I wrote straight from my memory about the instances that made me choose MD. There are topics on the Allo board, and I suggest you follow the most important: start with a hook. Mine did, and I think it's really great. I also wrapped up my PS by re-referencing that hook. Barring grammar, I think it's quite good. Also, make sure it's true (duh) but more importantly, just continually addresses why medicine? I made sure of that. After that, it took me three hours to write. Also if you have writer's block, minimize, go look at some...uh...."TV" or whatever, because I did :D and it relaxed my mind off writer's block.

Here are my LOR's:
1. Dr. B1 &#10003; [LAB]
2. Dr. B2 &#10003; [LAB]
3. Dr. S &#10003; [LAB]
4. Dr. R &#10003; [LAB]
6. Dr. E (X) (assistant dean - didn't write one yet, and may not get to use...I have dean's!)
7. Dr. M &#10003; (Dean)
9. Dr. S [&#10003;] (submitted last, at this point the person was like you have too many letters...)
13. Dr. M &#10003;

So I dunno how to do a committee letter. I have to separate the independent ones - Work, Shadowing, Hospital. If I'm applying MD/PhD, maybe the lab ones should also be separated. So that makes 8 all together: 4 Lab + 3 third party + 1 committee. I guess that works.

You kind of have to use committee, I always thought committee takes letters from individual professors and consolidates them.

You're making me look bad. I'll have 3 or 4

Here are my LOR's:
1. Dr. B1 &#10003; [LAB]
2. Dr. B2 &#10003; [LAB]
3. Dr. S &#10003; [LAB]
4. Dr. R &#10003; [LAB]
7. Dr. M &#10003; (Dean)
13. Dr. M &#10003;

im pretty sure theyll only read the first 3-5 letters of yours they see then shred the rest. Med schools get thousands of apps. 8 letters essentially saying the same thing (how awesome the candidate is) may be a little redundant. Id rather go with 4-5 letters that are strong. Quality rather than quantity.

use your strongest letters, don't overkill it.

im pretty sure theyll only read the first 3-5 letters of yours they see then shred the rest. Med schools get thousands of apps. 8 letters essentially saying the same thing (how awesome the candidate is) may be a little redundant. Id rather go with 4-5 letters that are strong. Quality rather than quantity.

use your strongest letters, don't overkill it.

That's what I thought also. So I'm sticking with an md that my mom works with that I know well and have done a lot of interviews with and stuff her letter was good. Then my two professors and then my manager