The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I stopped at 3. LOR are useless

You better have strong letters unless you're trying to get straight up rejected. Even if you possibly interview places you'll just get wait listed or rejected because trust me there's always someone with better stats. This is why I laugh when kids get rejected or wait listed with decent stats and they are all confused as to what went wrong. You should read that article by AAMC, stats are only half the picture.

A dean at Cornell said no more than ~6. He said if someone sends too much they look down on it / they don't read them all. Just advice I was given though. Having the resources to obtain 13 LOR's is incredible. Last year I was worried I wouldn't be able to get 3, haha.

LORs are one of the most important factors in the final decision (post-interview). Matter of fact a survey of medical schools showed that interview recommendations and LORs were even more important post-interview than GPA and MCAT scores.

https://www.aamc.org/download/261106/data/aibvol11_no6.pdf

I agree with the "post-interview" statement. But almost every applicant has the same rec letter - "this student is awesome, i know him personally, they're brilliant, etc etc."

What the heck ? 13 LORs ? lol I plan to obtain only 3 ! Upon reading the article above, I might consider to obtain 1 more lol

I agree with the "post-interview" statement. But almost every applicant has the same rec letter - "this student is awesome, i know him personally, they're brilliant, etc etc."

Medical schools have been doing this for decades, trust me they know what a generic bull **** letter looks like. Most of them are looking for letters that speak about personal interactions with faculty and have meaningful tips. For example any professor could write, "this student got an A in my class with a 97.5 % and he's great". Where as only a very few will write, "I interacted with this student on a personal basis, the student came to my office hours regularly. From the time we spent this student showed hard work, committment and tried to do his or her very best to improve their grades by seeking help in my office, volunteering in class activities and consistently asking intellectual questions". I think you get the gist of what I'm saying. I'm going to quote a more thorough explanation of LORs from my mdapplicants profile. Hopefully it will help someone, Good luck!

LORs are the backbone of your application especially when it comes to the final decision post-interview. You could be the perfect candidate but if your LORs are weak or red flagged then your entire application could be jeopardized. Through out your academic career you will meet individuals that will seem like the perfect applicant but not get into medical school because they randomly went up to professors they barely knew and got LORs that most likely worked against them. A lot of applicants do not understand the significance of these letters of recommendations but trust me to ADCOM they mean a lot. Your LORs should be personal and you should know these professors pretty well. Please do not desperately go to a professor that barely knows you and get a LOR from them. Most likely you will end up hurting yourself as stated before. I can't stop emphasizing the point of personal LORs because every year I hear of applicants going up to barely known professors. The key is to make many office visits, interact in your class and to really engage intellectually and professionally with your professor. This will give your professor an opportunity to get to know you and write a very strong letter. I had 2 science professors that I took multiple classes with and really got to know on a personal level. Another important note is that most undergrad schools issue prehealth committee letters. These committee letters are essential to obtain IF your school issues them. Now you're probably wondering why the hell would I need a committee letter? well some schools such as VCU will automatically reject you if you do not obtain the committee letter if available at your undergrad school. The link below is from VCU medical school that explains why committee letters are so essential.

http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/documents/lettersofrecommend_instructions_2009.pdf

If you're too busy to read the link above then here's a few points about the committee letter. The importance of a committee LOR is that the prehealth committee is a representative of your school and your school should know you best. Plus committee letters consist of essential things such as Institutional actions, academic dishonesty cases, student's relationship with faculty, extra curricular activities at the school, awards in the academic school in a more in-depth manner. These committee letters are also used as the foundation to compare students from the same academic institute. Therefore, not obtaining a committee letter when available can be a major red flag, it makes medical schools think that you're hiding something. During my interviews many of my interviewers discussed and even quoted the strong recommendations made by these professors. One essential LOR that is ironically not discussed a lot is a LOR from a Physician (MD if applying to Allopathic and DO if applying to Osteopathic). As you can obviously tell a LOR from a professional in the profession you want to work in can make a pretty big difference. A lot of medical schools are worried about students running into the medicine profession without knowing much about it. Therefore, your application can go beyond the "cookie cutter" by having extensive shadowing and having a letter of recommendation from a Physician simply saying something along the lines of Mr. X shadowed, was extremely competent, showed a lot of interest in medicine, was compassionate towards patients and I highly recommend Mr. X be accepted into medical school.

Do you think AAMC with count "nutritional biochemistry" towards the BCPM. It wasn't health course. We just looked at metabolism, fat breakdown mechanisms, no more or less science than my biology courses. How do I petition to make it count?

Do you think AAMC with count "nutritional biochemistry" towards the BCPM. It wasn't health course. We just looked at metabolism, fat breakdown mechanisms, no more or less science than my biology courses. How do I petition to make it count?

you don't "petition" lol just put it as biology and hope for the best. If AAMC doesn't want it to be BCPM, they will change it back, otherwise it will count towards BCPM

Members don't see this ad :)
So I had my first draft reviewed here, holy ****, he told me it blew chunks! Guess I'm back to square zero, so that's a re-write. For those going for MD/PhD, where are those essays? At this rate I may not be able to hit apply lol.

ughh I just want to know if I ****ed up or not. If I did good then I will have a great summer, just researching, doing activities and applications. If I did bad this summer is literally going to suck since I'll have to do all of that plus re-study + be depressed about doing poorly >: (

ughh I just want to know if I ****ed up or not. If I did good then I will have a great summer, just researching, doing activities and applications. If I did bad this summer is literally going to suck since I'll have to do all of that plus re-study + be depressed about doing poorly >: (

I know you did fine! Stop worrying. I know I tanked it so I'm Going through the same thing. Quite certain that you have nothing to worry about tho :)

As the days pass the more convinced I am I botched this test up.... Least I got a A in biochem this semester.

I.Want.My.Score.NOW!

lol, I'm literally going insane over this exam...so unhealthy.

Take comfort in the fact that you're not alone

As the days pass the more convinced I am I botched this test up.... Least I got a A in biochem this semester.

I KNOW I botched mine but as the days go by I seem to be convincing myself that it went so much better than last time and the curve is gunna be more generous and maybe I actually managed to break a 30...I'll be crushed on the 30th to say the least

Damn it. PS and Work and Activities, I didn't know we have to write another essay for most meaningful....****tttttt.

Damn it. PS and Work and Activities, I didn't know we have to write another essay for most meaningful....****tttttt.

Dude you need to relax. You're freaking out over everything. You work in a pharmacy right? Take some drugs to calm yourself down.

yeahhhh i really dont feel like working on my app all i can think about is how i ****ed up on this mcat

Looking into the 4/5 thread, it appears that they also had a difficult PS and subsequent generous curve. Something to chew on for the next few weeks...:xf:

Looking into the 4/5 thread, it appears that they also had a difficult PS and subsequent generous curve. Something to chew on for the next few weeks...:xf:

Iv been checking 4/5 all day. Although I'm sure all their scores on prActice tests were higher than mine, its giving me a little bit of hope. They seem to be doing well overall.

This. I almost voided because of PS, and I got a 12. Seriously, I eyeballed some calculations instead of working them out because I was running out of time.

Dude you need to relax. You're freaking out over everything. You work in a pharmacy right? Take some drugs to calm yourself down.

lol im working this saturday, still working....for those ordering transcripts, did you need to submit that form? wtf is going on!

yeahhhh i really dont feel like working on my app all i can think about is how i ****ed up on this mcat

Answer my MD/PhD question!

Hey guys. I've been having problems getting in touch with my non-science LOR professor. Unfortunately, he hasn't been responding to my emails or phone calls since early March. I've also been checking his office regularly, about 2 or 3 times a week. It seems as if he never comes in. I've tried contacting the department, to no avail.

At this point, I'm bordering stalker mode. I asked another professor, but he said he didn't really know me well enough to write me a letter.

So I've resorted to my instructor for the required Intro Writing Series at my uni. She was a great teacher, and agreed enthusiastically to write me a letter. Unfortunately, I believe she's in her last year of getting her PhD. Will this be a problem when I apply to schools that require a non-science letter?

tl;dr Does a LOR "professor" have to have a PhD for the letter to be considered?

Same problem here. I contacted my non-science writer but he refused to write. I tried to contact another non-science professor but could not get in touch with him. Then, one of my science professors delayed our appointment. Though, at least I worked out my transcript problem.

I don't mind professors saying no to writing one. I mind when in person they are consistently super enthusiastic about writing your letter, and then ignore you when it's time to put up. You make a verbal commitment, you should follow through.

We should be able to sue for this.

That 4/5 thread is getting me nervous. The more I think about it, the more I feel I bombed this MCAT. I just pray for my lowest practice test score with no section lower than a 9. Retakes are way more stressful during this waiting month than the first time was.

I love it when professors say "You have done an exceptional job in the lab building up your resume, and I would absolutely love to write you a recommendation letter" and then disappear. Like what the f.uck man did they get drafted or something? WRITE ME MY DAMN LETTER

Same problem here. I contacted my non-science writer but he refused to write. I tried to contact another non-science professor but could not get in touch with him. Then, one of my science professors delayed our appointment. Though, at least I worked out my transcript problem.

Is there a specific reason that everyone is freaking out about a nonscience teacher LOR? I don't have one nor did I plan on getting one. I didn't even know it was common to get one. I'm getting two from science professors, one from my manager at my job, and one from an MD and then a committee letter if I can. Are non science teachers required? I haven't taken a nonscience class in like 4 years and they were all at a community college and none of them have a PhD

I love it when professors say "You have done an exceptional job in the lab building up your resume, and I would absolutely love to write you a recommendation letter" and then disappear. Like what the f.uck man did they get drafted or something? WRITE ME MY DAMN LETTER

I have a professor who has agreed to write me a letter and delayed it 3 f-ing times. 1st time he was out of the country for a symposium 2nd he said he wanted it to be more recent so I should contact him in April and 3rd he's out of town again and wants to do it after the 14th. AHHHH

Is there a specific reason that everyone is freaking out about a nonscience teacher LOR? I don't have one nor did I plan on getting one. I didn't even know it was common to get one. I'm getting two from science professors, one from my manager at my job, and one from an MD and then a committee letter if I can. Are non science teachers required? I haven't taken a nonscience class in like 4 years and they were all at a community college and none of them have a PhD

I don't know about others. In my case, if I don't get a non-science LOR, I have to either get another science LOR or employer LOR. The problem is the employer LOR is not available. I can't just get all 3 science LORs; that's definitely a disadvantage. You have your manager's LOR, so you're fine.

you guys have some crappy professors lol. Longest time a letter I requested took was about 2 weeks after I asked.

I don't know about others. In my case, if I don't get a non-science LOR, I have to either get another science LOR or employer LOR. The problem is the employer LOR is not available. I can't just get all 3 science LORs; that's definitely a disadvantage. You have your manager's LOR, so you're fine.

You sure? I'm paranoid now. I only took one nonscience class and it was a required upper division sociology class and I spent the whole time arguing with the other *****s in the class who were trying to claim that antibiotics were doctors way to make money and they weren't necessary, that immunizations weren't necessary, and that they don't need to take all their antibiotics because they feel better they have no reason to take them. Stupid people breeding mrsa. And stupid teacher who agreed with them. I REFUSE to ask him for a letter. He's a brainless idiot

2wks? Wow...I hope it wasn't a cookie-cutter LOR with your name pasted in a couple spots!!

nah my health professions advisor read through my letters (without showing me of course) and he told me they were personal and really strong. My professors liked me so they didn't mind writing my LOR's :)

you guys have some crappy professors lol. Longest time a letter I requested took was about 2 weeks after I asked.

My human morphology and function professor got me a LOR in a week and he sat down and did a full blown interview on me too specifically because he likes to get to know his students on a one on one basis and he doesn't waste time writing letters that aren't personal cuz he used to teach at med schools and knows how important it is that they're personal. This was the best professor I have ever had he was a damn genius and saved my ass in biology for the mcat.

I got a 102% in my molecular and cell biology class and I was the top student in the most difficult class in the biology major at my school. I spent all semester tutoring people in this class and I asked this guy for a LOR and he's like "yeah I guess I can write you one but all it's gunna say is you're a good student it won't be very good" I almost lost my mind on this guy. The one I'm trying to get now is from a prof I took bio of cancer and immunology with so I'm hoping that looks good I'm just concerned cuz his English is HORRIBLE. Like he writes emails back to me and I laugh. This is probably a bad idea lol

2wks? Wow...I hope it wasn't a cookie-cutter LOR with your name pasted in a couple spots!!

Why would it take a professor longer than 2 weeks to actually write a LOR? You do realize any longer than 2 weeks means the professor is busy doing other stuff, right? I bet half the professors procrastinate on LORs and write them in a day. It's not that hard.

Why would it take a professor longer than 2 weeks to actually write a LOR? You do realize any longer than 2 weeks means the professor is busy doing other stuff, right? I bet half the professors procrastinate on LORs and write them in a day. It's not that hard.

True. And any professor worth $.02 should have more to do then just sit around and wait for LOR requests to come their way!

You sure? I'm paranoid now. I only took one nonscience class and it was a required upper division sociology class and I spent the whole time arguing with the other *****s in the class who were trying to claim that antibiotics were doctors way to make money and they weren't necessary, that immunizations weren't necessary, and that they don't need to take all their antibiotics because they feel better they have no reason to take them. Stupid people breeding mrsa. And stupid teacher who agreed with them. I REFUSE to ask him for a letter. He's a brainless idiot

:laugh: Similar things happened in my social science classes. Btw, the purpose of a non-science letter is to diversify your LOR porfolio. The adcom wants to see what people of different background, especially those that do not come from science background, say about you. That's why schools often call it non-science letter rather than specify it social-science LOR. I think you're fine with your manager's LOR. Besides, lots of people who are out of school for a while have troubles finding an academic LOR, let alone hard science or social science.

Btw, here's my situation: I know only 2 non-science professors. One of them already said no and the other still has not responded to my email. I had to email him instead of coming to his office because he does not teach this semester at my school but teaches somewhere else. I know where he is currently teaching at as well as his class time. Should I show up there and ask for the letter of rec ? The problem is he is the last non-science professor I can ask for LOR from, as he and the one that said no are the only ones that remember me and know me closely enough to write a letter. What do you guys think ?

A day ? Nah, it gotta be within 2 hours max. They have been doing multi-hundred pages writing for their entire lives. The letter is only 1 page. It shouldn't be a problem to them.

So how is everyone doing so far, work and activities, personal statement?

I'm roughly 60%, 30%: PS constant renewal, working on the W&A and pushing each towards physician and writing those "most significant" essays.

Haven't even mailed my transcripts yet, oh ****>

I'm roughly 60%, 30%: PS constant renewal, working on the W&A and pushing each towards physician and writing those "most significant" essays.

I win the procrastination award. Haven't Even logged into amcas yet. I'm doing it tomorrow and starting PS this week also. Im gunna bust through this ****. I have a lot of it filled out from last year but I have to look over all of it again

It's so hard to find the motivation to do it cuz part of me knows it might be completely pointless come may 30th. Argh

Edit: I thought we didn't mail our transcripts till the application was complete. I was gunna wait till the 30th at least before I pay the money to get them sent out. Bad idea? I feel like such a noob. I thought this was a simple process for some reason. Now I'm finding myself confused as to how any of this is supposed to work. I'm doomed

I just went over the 4/5 thread and could feel the thrill running through every single one of them before the score was released. Darn ! We will go through the same roller coaster emotions on May 30 !

It's so hard to find the motivation to do it cuz part of me knows it might be completely pointless come may 30th. Argh

This is what I'm feeling right now too !

Just started entering my course work today. Going to finish that out hopefully tomorrow. I also haven't mailed my transcripts yet. Planning on working on the activities section tomorrow as well.

applications???? lol funny joke.

I have my last 2 finals later today. First at 8am and second at 2pm. Its 135am and I still have 3 chapters to study for the 8am final. So I'm doing pretty ****ty right now.