The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

this is where I'm stuck, how do we IMPROVE verbal? I don't want to level off, and the explanations don't make me go "OH OK NOW I CAN TOTALLY DO BETTER NEXT TIME", they just make me go: :confused:

faaaaaahhhh

ek test 3 i missed 7 on 2 passages and 4 on the other 4

WTTTFF!!!!

faaaaaahhhh

ek test 3 i missed 7 on 2 passages and 4 on the other 4

WTTTFF!!!!

How is it that the 04/28 club is so bad at verbal? It seems like we all have this issue. Not going to lie though, if all of you guys were getting 15s on VR, it would probably kill my confidence and I'd just end up doing worse.

How is it that the 04/28 club is so bad at verbal? It seems like we all have this issue. Not going to lie though, if all of you guys were getting 15s on VR, it would probably kill my confidence and I'd just end up doing worse.

It's ok, we can be illiterate together :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
dont believe him, he'll leave you when he does good like he did me : (

also:

I know it's stressful, but don't stress out too much. :D We're all going to be taking our first practice test soon right? I hope the passages on the AAMC FLs are at least a bit easier than the practice passages in BR. But I really think the BR passages are great to put us in that right mindset.
I've taken 4 TPR thus far; doing better each time. Last one was a fluke as you saw. Im really hoping AAMC is easier cuz if not, I'm FUUUUUUZZED.

urkvM.png

For this Physics, I left whatever I didn't know blank. And checking to see what I got wrong, some were ****ing stupid that I knew and misread the answer choices. So I got somewhere around 65-68.

I was going to relax, hit the books again tomorrow before my AAMC10 on Saturday, but I have work from 5-10, what the hell no one told me.

So, I'm going over what I got wrong yesterday on my "63" in Physics:

1. READ THE ****ING QUESTION MORE THAN ONCE. A question I got wrong asked for "resistivity", I answered in terms of resistance. Stupid goddamn mistake.
  2. DRAW OUT PICTURES FOR ALL PROBLEMS!! I'm having conceptual trouble from straight text but when I draw it out, becomes so much clearer. Hope I have time to do this on the actual test lol.
  3. MATH: LRN 2 DO QUICK. Example:
    A ray of light traveling in Medium #1 (n
    = 1.4) strikes the boundary with Medium #2 at an angle of 60° from the normal. If the angle between the reflected and refracted rays is 75°, then what is the index of refraction of Medium #2?

So like any rational person, n1sinO=n2sinO therefore 1.4(.85)=x(.7)

I got stuck doing 1.4(.85)/(.7), so I put 1.3. The answer was 1.7. SON OF A...
  4. Which of the following is true about the normal force?
    (A)
    It is always equal and opposite to the weight.
    (B)
    It can cause an object moving along a surface without colliding to change speed.
    (C)
    It is attributable to the binding forces between atoms and molecules in solid matter.
    Correct Answer
    (D)
    It cannot contribute to the change in direction of a moving object.

I chose D because normal force is always perpindicular to the surface. It was C. I was looking at C, and I was like...what?

Two fish are submerged in a T-shaped closed container. The first fish is 15 centimeters from the bottom, the second is 30 centimeters from the bottom. Compared to the second fish, the first fish experiences what change in gauge pressure?
    (A)
    The first fish experiences half the gauge pressure.
    (B)
    The first fish experiences twice the gauge pressure.
    (C)
    A change in gauge pressure cannot be determined, because gauge pressure depends on the shape of the container.
    (D)
    A change in gauge pressure cannot be determined, because gauge pressure depends on the depth of the fish.

I was debating between B and D. I put B, knowing the answer was probably going to be D. It depends on DEPTH: SURFACE-TO-LOCATION, not from the bottom. SFLAKJSFKJL

A diving bird is chasing a fish. If it dives in the ocean from a depth of 10 m to a depth of 30 m, what happens to the total pressure on the bird?

READ: TOTAL PRESSURE. I did gauge pressure, SOAB.

ETC ETC.

So, I'm going over what I got wrong yesterday on my "63" in Physics:

1. READ THE ****ING QUESTION MORE THAN ONCE. A question I got wrong asked for "resistivity", I answered in terms of resistance. Stupid goddamn mistake.
  2. DRAW OUT PICTURES FOR ALL PROBLEMS!! I'm having conceptual trouble from straight text but when I draw it out, becomes so much clearer. Hope I have time to do this on the actual test lol.
  3. MATH: LRN 2 DO QUICK. Example:
    A ray of light traveling in Medium #1 (n
    = 1.4) strikes the boundary with Medium #2 at an angle of 60° from the normal. If the angle between the reflected and refracted rays is 75°, then what is the index of refraction of Medium #2?

So like any rational person, n1sinO=n2sinO therefore 1.4(.85)=x(.7)

I got stuck doing 1.4(.85)/(.7), so I put 1.3. The answer was 1.7. SON OF A...
  4. Which of the following is true about the normal force?
    (A)
    It is always equal and opposite to the weight.
    (B)
    It can cause an object moving along a surface without colliding to change speed.
    (C)
    It is attributable to the binding forces between atoms and molecules in solid matter.
    Correct Answer
    (D)
    It cannot contribute to the change in direction of a moving object.

I chose D because normal force is always perpindicular to the surface. It was C. I was looking at C, and I was like...what?

Two fish are submerged in a T-shaped closed container. The first fish is 15 centimeters from the bottom, the second is 30 centimeters from the bottom. Compared to the second fish, the first fish experiences what change in gauge pressure?
    (A)
    The first fish experiences half the gauge pressure.
    (B)
    The first fish experiences twice the gauge pressure.
    (C)
    A change in gauge pressure cannot be determined, because gauge pressure depends on the shape of the container.
    (D)
    A change in gauge pressure cannot be determined, because gauge pressure depends on the depth of the fish.

I was debating between B and D. I put B, knowing the answer was probably going to be D. It depends on DEPTH: SURFACE-TO-LOCATION, not from the bottom. SFLAKJSFKJL

A diving bird is chasing a fish. If it dives in the ocean from a depth of 10 m to a depth of 30 m, what happens to the total pressure on the bird?

READ: TOTAL PRESSURE. I did gauge pressure, SOAB.

ETC ETC.

Hahaha for what's it worth I'm sure you typing this out will help you on the long run :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Soooo...Sunday is when I take AAMC...I probably more nervous for that than the real thing :x

I shifted my AAMC a day so I can study all day tomorrow. Yeah, I'm taking my AAMC10 Sunday as well. I should be studying right now too....I'll do it right after I finish relaxing.

I shifted my AAMC a day so I can study all day tomorrow. Yeah, I'm taking my AAMC10 Sunday as well. I should be studying right now too....I'll do it right after I finish relaxing.

Damn you all! I'm not taking it until Wednesday (maybe Thursday) :D

DEPRESSION IS A SQUARE ROOT FUNCTION SO IT WILL BE 16TH'D

Just like velocity and centripedal acceleration, he will cycle around our depression.

When you see how depressed I am, you'll double your efforts. Guaranteed!

Keep your head up. As terrible advice as this may be, play the "what's the worst that could happen" game when you feel stressed out. Be logical. That's the way I think about it. If I bomb the MCAT, I can take it again, no worries :D

Try your best, man. I'm sure you'll be fine.

DEPRESSION IS A SQUARE ROOT FUNCTION SO IT WILL BE 16TH'D

Just like velocity and centripedal acceleration, he will cycle around our depression.

No, but his velocity vector will be changing. Meaning at times he'll be happy, and during other times, he will cut himself.

Yeah, I'm going through all the material in my brain again right now, starting with Orgo (easiest IMO)....uh oh!

Yeah, I'm going through all the material in my brain again right now, starting with Orgo (easiest IMO)....uh oh!

If it's any consolation, I started Orgo today. I'm just going to hope I'm naturally good at it...

Yea...same. I need to do Orgo and wrap-up Physics. Need to finish content review ...by..the 1st...ughh.

Yeah, same. I was going to read TBR Ochem but it looks like I don't have time :( Oh well.

Also, I'm going to start taking practice tests a few days before I finish content review. I recommend you do the same. As long as you've covered 80% of the material or more, take it. The reason I say this is because you don't want to stress yourself out the last few weeks by taking loads of practice tests in a short amount of time, you know? I won't be done with everything, but I'm still taking my first practice test in a few days, probably the 28th. The MCAT is a mental game. You'll perform better if you're not stressing on time.

Just blasted "N***as in Paris" - ti remix so I could get pumped to start doing some EK verbal. After 4 replays apartment security stopped by and asked me turn down my swag. LOOOL

Just blasted "N***as in Paris" - ti remix so I could get pumped to start doing some EK verbal. After 4 replays apartment security stopped by and asked me turn down my swag. LOOOL

Man, if I listened to TI before taking verbal, I think I would want to shoot myself.

My pump up music is lil wayne, for damn sure.

Yeah, same. I was going to read TBR Ochem but it looks like I don't have time :( Oh well.

Also, I'm going to start taking practice tests a few days before I finish content review. I recommend you do the same. As long as you've covered 80% of the material or more, take it. The reason I say this is because you don't want to stress yourself out the last few weeks by taking loads of practice tests in a short amount of time, you know? I won't be done with everything, but I'm still taking my first practice test in a few days, probably the 28th. The MCAT is a mental game. You'll perform better if you're not stressing on time.

As far as Orgo goes, I think EK does a pretty good job. I read Kaplan and found it too detailed. So my guess would be TBR is MUCH more detailed.

As far as Orgo goes, I think EK does a pretty good job. I read Kaplan and found it too detailed. So my guess would be TBR is MUCH more detailed.

Yeah, the people that took the MCAT today said there was only one passage. I'm going to read EK probably and hope for the best.

Is anyone using Chad's videos? I've watched 7 hours worth of Ochem and I feel like I haven't learned anything. This is way too basic for the MCAT. Anyone else have any opinions?

I've watched the 1st, 2nd, and 5th video sets thus far.

Are there any video sets that are actually USEFUL?

I like the original version better. I had no problem with TI before he blew up. Now he's all over the radio on every station. Just got annoying, man.

yeah childish gambino is what i was listening to during the beginning of mcat studying now ive overplayed it...

Is anyone using Chad's videos? I've watched 7 hours worth of Ochem and I feel like I haven't learned anything. This is way too basic for the MCAT. Anyone else have any opinions?

I've watched the 1st, 2nd, and 5th video sets thus far.

Are there any video sets that are actually USEFUL?

i only use his g chem vids...so i dunno

Ok, just got a 31/40 on Practice Test 2 of TPR Verbal!!! I am getting excited with my verbal scores. I have been having swings. I remember when I was doing passages in the beginning scoring a 6 or a 7..and then i jumped to 10-11 with a strategy I was using, but I got owned with that strategy on test 1. Killed me.

I ditched my strategy on reading half of the passage and doing questions...and typicalindian, I used your strategy on test 2 that you mentioned somewhere. It seems to be working so far. Thanks man or ma'am?

Now I understand what people mean by big picture/main idea....ok, I am a little slow.

Ok, just got a 31/40 on Practice Test 2 of TPR Verbal!!! I am getting excited with my verbal scores. I have been having swings. I remember when I was doing passages in the beginning scoring a 6 or a 7..and then i jumped to 10-11 with a strategy I was using, but I got owned with that strategy on test 1. Killed me.

I ditched my strategy on reading half of the passage and doing questions...and typicalindian, I used your strategy on test 2 that you mentioned somewhere. It seems to be working so far. Thanks man or ma'am?

Now I understand what people mean by big picture/main idea....ok, I am a little slow.

Man. And thanks..question- what timing should we aim for on verbal passages? Is it 7 or 8 minutes?

Man. And thanks..question- what timing should we aim for on verbal passages? Is it 7 or 8 minutes?

I have been doing 8 mins. It seems like there is ALWAYS one passage that's extraordinarily difficult. For instance, passage II in Test 2 was just like WTF? The leftover time from other passages allowed me to spend 2 extra mins. on this one passage...on which I missed 3 questions even then. :-/

I felt 7 mins. was a little too rushed and led to many stupid mistakes.

I think it's also important to know what the question stem is referring to...suggest/infer - not in passage. You need to draw a conclusion. What does the passage say type of questions - the answers are typically word-for-word in the passage. For these, I make sure I refer back to the passage and quickly read the periphery to make sure I got the right choice. Hope that helps! Keep me updated!!

I have been doing 8 mins. It seems like there is ALWAYS one passage that's extraordinarily difficult. For instance, passage II in Test 2 was just like WTF? The leftover time from other passages allowed me to spend 2 extra mins. on this one passage...on which I missed 3 questions even then. :-/

I felt 7 mins. was a little too rushed and led to many stupid mistakes.

I think it's also important to know what the question stem is referring to...suggest/infer - not in passage. You need to draw a conclusion. What does the passage say type of questions - the answers are typically word-for-word in the passage. For these, I make sure I refer back to the passage and quickly read the periphery to make sure I got the right choice. Hope that helps! Keep me updated!!

I am for 7 minutes, although unfortunately it usually takes me the entire 8 minutes. Hopefully I'll be able to bring it down to 7. It seems like a lot of people say the verbal on the real thing is longer than what practice companies supply us, so it's better to be prepared.

I am for 7 minutes, although unfortunately it usually takes me the entire 8 minutes. Hopefully I'll be able to bring it down to 7. It seems like a lot of people say the verbal on the real thing is longer than what practice companies supply us, so it's better to be prepared.

The one AAMC I have taken, the verbal was shorter than TPR Verbal. I have to admit TPR Verbal is LONG. Seriously. I can't imagine doing it in less than 8 mins.

Yeah I'm setting my clock to allow 7 per passage. Hopefully continued practice at that time will help me improve and also give me enough time for the real thing

I love VR :love:...PS on the other hand...

So 4/28 club I just took my first FL (AAMC 3) and got a 30... 10/10/10 was the breakdown. I'm really annoyed at my PS and BS score...I need to work on that ASAP

So 4/28 club I just took my first FL (AAMC 3) and got a 30... 10/10/10 was the breakdown. I'm really annoyed at my PS and BS score...I need to work on that ASAP

Yeah? Damn you. I got a 29. Horribly uneven, too.

Well, failed AAMC10. I didn't know or understand a majority of what was mentioned here. I "stopped" with 4 minutes left in PS. I understood 2 of the 7 passages, and got almost everything wrong even the free standing questions. Jesus f'n. I left nothing blank, preferring to just select A B C D. :mad:

Verbal? Ended with 6 minutes. Hazed through 4 passages and was like HUH? Had to shake my head, slap myself, restart reading, guessed on questions so often. I did not like this at all...it IS like EK and TPR, no complaints for either of those two companies. And this is AAMC10, I just blew a resource finding out that I'm horribly, horribly ****ing unprepared for this exam.

9/7/13
39/52
25/40
47/52

Well, failed AAMC10. I didn't know or understand a majority of what was mentioned here. I "stopped" with 4 minutes left in PS. I understood 2 of the 7 passages, and got almost everything wrong even the free standing questions. Jesus f'n. I left nothing blank, preferring to just select A B C D. :mad:

Verbal? Ended with 6 minutes. Hazed through 4 passages and was like HUH? Had to shake my head, slap myself, restart reading, guessed on questions so often. I did not like this at all...it IS like EK and TPR, no complaints for either of those two companies. And this is AAMC10, I just blew a resource finding out that I'm horribly, horribly ****ing unprepared for this exam.

9/7/13
39/52
25/40
47/52

Hey man, relax. That's probably the hardest AAMC. Your first AAMC is always the lowest since you're just adapting to the test. I've heard of tons of people starting off with a 26 and ending with a 36. You just have to get USED to the exam. You have 5 weeks man, just chill.

9/7/13
39/52
25/40
47/52

Also bro, if you don't mind me asking, what did you use to study for BS? Your score is amazing.

I don't mean to sound angry or a douchebag, so please ignore any tones outside of anger towards MYSELF and how poorly I'm doing.

TPR: 21 25 27
AAMC: 29

But I have no idea what's going on at any time besides BS. Looking at BS, I was torn between two options and chose the wrong one--even then, I got a 13. I look at what I got wrong and I'm like, "why did I switch that? Why did I choose that?" I should have gotten a 14.

Going through verbal, similar, except I told you I zoned out. A 7 is unreasonable, and looking at my answers, I was stuck between two--chose wrong one. I got 2 entire passages wrong, completely wrong. One was wording! "Astrology" vs "Astronomy", go ** yourself eyes.

Gonna go over this later and apply what I know...messed up on....congrats on the 10/10/10 bro.

AND THESE ARE CURVED? WTF.

Also bro, if you don't mind me asking, what did you use to study for BS? Your score is amazing.

I'm in Pharmacy. BS is 2nd nature for me.

Like I said, I should have done better in BS. I second guessed myself and should have got 14. PS, what the ****, 9.....then again like I said I didn't know what was going on so I'm surprised I got this much. I was looking at 7/7/14 and I got 9/7/13, so...****s.

I'm in Pharmacy. BS is 2nd nature for me.

Like I said, I should have done better in BS. I second guessed myself and should have got 14. PS, what the ****, 9.....then again like I said I didn't know what was going on so I'm surprised I got this much. I was looking at 7/7/14 and I got 9/7/13, so...****s.

Like I said, keep your head up! You have more than enough time man. Just don't lose your cool or your performance will hinder.

Yeah. I just went through AAMC 10 PS. Stupid, stupid reading mistakes. I have to draw things out. #52 clearly says "vertically upwards"...I chose the last option because it would have "horizontal velocity", so stupid. #26 I still don't understand...you know what, gonna give myself an hour's break and then re-review it. **** Verbal.

Anyone else feeling burned out? I've done content review, hundreds of verbal passages, 80% of TBR physics passages, 80% of TBR bio passages, and 80% of TBR genchem passages. I can't believe I have to do another month of practice passages :(