About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.
  2. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

The Official 07/06/2012 MCAT Thread

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by impact2d, Mar 27, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. doublefrick

doublefrick

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Retake #2. Let's DO this!
  2. doublefrick

doublefrick

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    TBR. Kaplan is like learning MCAT from a fuzzy bunny
  3. doublefrick

doublefrick

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Let's be friends! I also take notes :)
  4. ParthVader

ParthVader

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey Folks,

I'm considering this date as well. It sucks because I just got a full time job offer for my year off that starts on June 4th. For my training I'll be out of town until July 12th and am not sure I can get the day off to fly back and take the test. I think I'd definitely be ready to take it by then since I've done a decent bit of studying already...

If I can't take it on the 6th, I'll be forced to take it on the 14th... I'm just afraid that the 14th is a bit too late and I won't get in anywhere -.-.

To that effect, if any of you go to school in Boston and need a study partner, let me know! I think studying with somebody definitely keeps you on track.
  5. gumbyj

gumbyj

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'd be down for studying - PM me!
  6. ParthVader

ParthVader

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just sent you a pm! I'm not sure if it went through though, since under sent items it says that I haven't sent any items. I pmed you twice just in case :laugh:
  7. Lmai22

Lmai22

Pre-Medical
    TBR books only? So you're basically doing a self-study with TBR and EK and take AAMC practice exams? Similar like SN2ED schedule? Thanks.
  8. Lmai22

Lmai22

Pre-Medical
    Sounds great! Good luck! I'll be starting soon.
  9. Lmai22

Lmai22

Pre-Medical
    Sorry I clicked the wrong option. Was trying to reply to doublefrick's posts above regarding which books using. Thanks!
  10. sbuxaddict

sbuxaddict

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes I am using the books recommended. This will be my 3rd time taking this exam. The first time I prepped with TPRH (...and the second, which was stupid of me). I'm finding the the combo of BR review and EK 1001 series to be really helpful in nailing down concepts That are my weaknesses.
    Of course, everyone studies a different way but definitely get the 1001 series if you had to pick one. No amount of content review can replace practice.
  11. sbuxaddict

sbuxaddict

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hello friend :) I don't know about you, but my hands start to cramp a little for those long chapters (like BR orgo 1)!
  12. impact2d

impact2d

Pre-Medical
    When you click on the video in the top left it has a drop down for server options. One of the server's will be called "quick play" It plays them at about 1.5 speed and in my opinion is the best way to watch them, I wish they had an even faster option.

I saw that he wrote that about Bio, I'm pretty excited; although, I wish he was releasing them a little sooner since May is pretty much the last full month of content review for my schedule.

My opinion is only based on what helps me feel like I get it best since I have not taken an FL yet.

I have EK and TPRH Bio and TBR everything else, honestly from what I can tell thus far (and I'm only through chapter 4 in most the subjects) it really depends on what your goal score is and how good of a test taker you are. EK gives you all of the basics you need in a very easy to review way. It doesn't bog you down with extra data or erroneous info; however, some of that background info can help with really weird passages. I've also met people who are really good at extracting data from those passages and don't require the extra content review. One interesting thing, initially I only read EK BIO, and when I took their in class exam I scored a 13, the next times I supplemented with TPRH and received 14s and 15s.

I'd say I'm really happy with BR for Physics (New edition, the old one wasn't as good) and Gen. Chem.

Happy with EK for Bio, occasionally supplementing with TPRH

I wish I would have gotten EK O.Chem. I'm pretty strong in O.Chem and I feel that TBR is great if you need a really intensive review and a great deal re-explained. If it's fresh in your mind and you just want a quick outline of what is on the MCAT, use EK.

And not to plug it yet again, but if you are weak at all on any basics or are a visual learner, seriously consider chad's videos, honestly I just got a question on my physics test right last week because something the video showed stuck in my head.

One piece of advice given on here to me was that EK is great for those who recently had the pre-req's and did well or for someone who is shooting to bring their 20's into the low 30's. TBR is that boost many people need to get from 30 to higher. That advice seems to make sense now that I'm using the material.

Avid note taker as well, although the first time I did a TPRH bio chapter I had more pages of notes than the EK chapter was lol. Also, those TBR Gen. Chem chapters are killers on the notebook. I actually use one of those four colored pens to color code my notes :laugh:
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  13. impact2d

impact2d

Pre-Medical
    :laugh::laugh:
  14. Jear

Jear

Cheers for EK (the class), their 1001 Q's, and J Co Review's online material!
  15. Renaissance Man

Renaissance Man Saving the World

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey guys, I took the MCAT over a year ago and scored a 37. I want to help you all out as much as I can. Here are my 30+ Recommendations and if you check my signature I am working on a set of articles about how to improve your Verbal Reasoning Score.
  16. HoltMD

HoltMD

Pre-Medical
    Hey, thanks for your help. I will certainly read your blogs. It's very nice of you to help your fellow students. I :love: it!!!
  17. Renaissance Man

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No problem, I just think the MCAT is really beatable and with the right materials and mind-set there is no reason everyone can't score a 30+.
  18. sbuxaddict

sbuxaddict

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Haha I know what you mean about the TPRH bio, it can get pretty detailed (although I've heard BR bio is worse so I'm trying to stick to EK). I haven't found BR gchem too bad yet, but I'm still in the early stages of that book.
  19. Temperature101

Temperature101

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What do you guys use for organic? I am using TBR and I think it's kind of too much....Are there more condense books outthere other than EK that can teach me what I need to know for the MCAT?
  20. jevo

jevo

Pre-Medical
    EK is as condensed as it comes. If you're dead set on getting a book, try TPR Bio Review. They have a good section on ochem. Or if you want to be cost-effective, just use mcat-review.org for your content and use TBR for more in-depth knowledge of your weak points.
  21. Temperature101

Temperature101

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks...I just checked mcat-review.org and it seems to be a good source for review.
  22. COLOMBIAN_DOC!

COLOMBIAN_DOC! DrLuv

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    hey guys! Im going to be taking my exam probably on the last exam date of July. This will be my 3 attempt. I think this exam is beatable but I just dont know how to go about it. The first time I used EK and the second time I used Kaplan/Berkley Review. In my opinion, EK is best as well as the 1001 q's workbooks. Can you guys give me any tips on how to go about raising my score from low 20's into the 30's? I feel like I know all the theory yet it doesnt reflect when I take the exam. Additionaly, if there is anyone from Miami in here that wants to join and form a study group PM me! Im ready to kill this sucker this time!
  23. torshi

torshi

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Army SDN 2+ Year Member
    i just got rocked by EK verbal a minute ago! it makes my stomach sick lol i didnt think i was that off...:thumbdown:
  24. impact2d

impact2d

Pre-Medical
    Low 20's can mean some content gaps usually. What was your breakdown per section?
  25. impact2d

impact2d

Pre-Medical
    It sucks to get killed by a practice. For me the culprit is usually Bio (although not tonight thank God, I finally did really well.)

I've been doing well in verbal, but I was originally an english major in college so it's one subject I actually have an advantage in. My one piece of advice is a skill that is honed when analyzing literature, learn to read between the lines and then answer with your gut. What I mean is when they ask you to infer something from the passage, go with what feels right based on the impression you got from the article more than what looks obvious. Much of verbal I've noticed is getting what the author "meant" rather than what they "said." Look for common conventions that authors use to emphasize a point. Generally they will use these conventions when stating things they feel more strongly about.

Just try different techniques and eventually one will stick. For example, I try to think of each author as a writer. Then I think if as if I'm peer editing an essay, trying to pick out why they put this here and that there. Things like, these paragraphs are not really about the theme of the article, they are just the author meandering towards what they really want to say-but I can tell by the slight transition that this is where the author really drives the theme home. Maybe it doesn't make any sense, I probably took one to many upper level Lit classes lol.
  26. torshi

torshi

Army SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes i noticed i didn't answer mt gut feeling and went with the answer thinking it applied more to the passage etc. Thanks and yea i will try different techniques. Do you recommend just reading it once or do you end up going back looking through the passage? I kept having a hard time remembering the minute details that i read, but i understood the gist of the passage.
  27. boesem11

boesem11

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    How have you done on your first three practice tests?
  28. gumbyj

gumbyj

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Took two thought I was golden then the second two murdered me.

I am not taking another practice test until June because I just didn't review the content enough so I am just wasting them.

I am only ~40% done with content review :eek: and the test is two months away.

I am starting to freakkkk out. I took the past 4 days off completely to prepare for a conference and now I am going to be in europe for the week so I am panicking a bit. :scared:

What about everyone else? How far along are you in your prep?
  29. torshi

torshi

Army SDN 2+ Year Member
    I just started Friday lol
    finished one lecture in EK chem and bio so far
  30. jevo

jevo

Pre-Medical
    Just finished the 1st 5 chapters of TBR Chem and Physics, as well as about 1/4 to 1/3 of each chapter's corresponding passages. I also finished chapter 5 in EK bio. And though I started off doing the corresponding TBR Bio passages, I stopped because I felt a big disconnect between the content I reviewed and the questions they were asking...on top of the fact that a lot of the passages didn't need to be read (or only skimmed) to answer the questions. I don't feel like it helps (thoughts?). I'm also in the middle of EK Ochem chapter 2 and doing corresponding passages in TPR science workbook (I think I'm going to start doing some bio passages from here as well)

I'm hoping to finish up with TBR and EK by mid May and then a 2-3 week crash course right after using nothing but EK and their 30-minute end of chapter exams (maybe some EK Bio 101), while starting AAMC exams by the end of May

Hopefully all goes according to plan, I get a high score, and head to Harvard :smuggrin:
  31. gumbyj

gumbyj

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I am so torn about the MCAT.

How much do you guys think moving my MCAT to end of July or early Aug would impact my app if it means a ~3 point or so difference? I am trying to make up for a low GPA, with no upward trend due to working to help my parents keep their home through undergrad and I am concerned that I could end up with a ~28 or so if I take it in July.

Ugggggg.
  32. jevo

jevo

Pre-Medical
    That sucks man. It depends,. how low is your gpa?
  33. sbuxaddict

sbuxaddict

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    For those of you using the SN2ED schedule, how are you faring with using EK BIO for content and then doing the BR questions?
    I did the first 2 chapters, and got completely annihilated in certain questions because the material wasn't as thorough in EK (Lineweaver Burke plots, for example). :scared:
  34. gumbyj

gumbyj

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.4 for DO and sGPA 3.3 for MD. Applying to NYCOM, Western U, TouroNY, PCOM, CCOM and Tufts
  35. gumbyj

gumbyj

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Don't worry about it - just learn from it! No sense worrying over getting questions wrong that pertain to material you have never seen before. I felt the same way, and now I am doing well with bio.
  36. torshi

torshi

Army SDN 2+ Year Member
    Taking the exam in July would give you time and I would def do it at that day so you'll get your score back early Aug. If you take it in Aug you'll most likely get scores back early September and might not finish secondaries until later which would make you late. Take in July and finish secondaries before hand which are posted on SDN, so right when you get yours scores back early Aug you can be complete and send the secondaries right away
  37. Renaissance Man

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey everyone! Here is how exactly I approached Verbal Reasoning (super simple) and scored a 13, I hope my method helps you. :thumbup:
  38. torshi

torshi

Army SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks, I am struggling in verbal pretty bad, I'll try it.
  39. sbuxaddict

sbuxaddict

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So you've been sticking with EK for content and doing BR questions?
    By the way do you have any tips for bio? I thought it was my strength (biochem major here) but for some reason I am not doing as well as I thought.
  40. GottabeaDoc

GottabeaDoc

Pre-Medical
    I have a full time job, husband and 5 month old infant so needless to say getting time to study has been hard. :eek: I was hoping to buckle down and be able to take the exam 06/21 but it looks like I that really wont give me enough time to study. If I have to then I can hustle but I would prefer to take it 7/6. Is eveyone also applying this round?or for future classes? In essence I just want to know if this is considered too late for this round?

Thanks! Happy MCAT studying!
  41. Dropit

Dropit

Pre-Medical
    Only 2 more months, hopefully everyone is studying their ass off. Anyone has quick tips how to get LORs from the professors? I am non-native English speaker so I tend to be very timid and don't really talk to my professors much.
  42. jevo

jevo

Pre-Medical
    As long as your GPA gets verified and your LORs are turned in within a week or so of receiving your scores back in August, then you're fine. However, if you wait to submit your app after you receive your score, then you're not going to as good as you hoped
  43. mp37210

mp37210

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi,

I am considering changing the day of my test to 07/06. I am currently scheduled for May 31. I have been prepping with Kaplan and scored a 23 (BS 8, VS 7 PS 8) on my last practice test.

Should I make the change? I want to score 30+
    Also, is there any material that could be suggested to help raise my section test?
    I have been considering buying additional material for Verbal.. Any suggestions?
  44. torshi

torshi

Army SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm using EK and Chad's Videos which i find very helpful for understanding concepts.
    I tend to watch Chad's topic videos then head to the EK lecture that corresponds to it.

I haven't done any prac tests, and won't any time soon until most likely in June. But I'm scurrrrrred lol...

If anyone is having trouble understanding concepts, I would recommend Chad's videos - just google it and it cost money to purchase the videos though, but worth it imo.

I also have TBR, but I find it very dull and i can't read those books, EK is an easier and more straightforward read even though they leave out some info - well at least I feel like they do.

Good luck to all, and I'm studying around 5 hours a day while taking 20 credits! ;/
  45. impact2d

impact2d

Pre-Medical

I had the same problem, to me it seems like a waste of time to do passages that are not connected to what I'm currently learning/reviewing. Maybe if you have all the time in the world and are floating around a 34 or 35 and looking for an extra boost it's worth it-but not for me. I started doing the corresponding science workbook questions and since TPRH follows almost the same exact lecture sequence as EK, it's easy to correlate. Make sure to do the advanced passages as I've been told they are most similar in style to the recent versions of the test. I also got killed on those plots, my brother who is a math major had to actually explain to me how the linweaver burke double reciprocal plot worked. Once I understood the questions were actually easy to answer, but if you didn't know how to understand what the different spots on the plot meant the passage didn't tell you. It was an awful feeling and not good for morale, shortly after that, I made the choice to switch to TPRH for phase 1 and 2.
    I figure after I finish all of the content review and do my EK and TPRH problems, I will hand pick some TBR passages for my phase 3 review.

Too late, not at all. Certain schools do not review during the summer, meaning all scores that are complete before mid august get reviewed together, while other schools do review during the summer. Even in this case they are only just under 2 months into reviewing apps. Still plenty early.

Just ask! seriously, what's the worst they say, NO? I've asked all of my science professors and not one has said no. Usually I ask them what they would expect from me in order to consider writing a LOR. This is a way to ask while keeping the responsibility on you.

I do the same with Chad's! I started out studying about 6-8 hours with 12 credits, but recently have burnt out a little bit with finals-skipping way more days than I had planned.

I usually read once for understanding, making notes of the location of what I consider major points as I read. Then after reading the questions I do often revisit the passage. For me, I save time in once I have a gut feeling on an answer I pick it and move on without giving it any extra thought. To me, too many people try to save time by skimming and reading fast rather than answering fast. I think the key is read carefully, intuitively and answer quickly and instinctively.
  46. jevo

jevo

Pre-Medical
    I have this problem too, though I haven't been studying verbal lately to correct it (I'll start now :)). I skimmed the passage and constantly found myself referring back to it for almost every question. I realized this is no bueno and when I start up again, I'm going to focus on reading the passage thoroughly the 1st time to save my self! Hopefully it starts working
  47. torshi

torshi

Army SDN 2+ Year Member
    you guys are taking the test in hopes of applying for this coming cycle right? Just curious
  48. impact2d

impact2d

Pre-Medical
    Correct. I am applying for the entering class of 2013.
  49. torshi

torshi

Army SDN 2+ Year Member
    I started studying using EK, I'm almost done with EK bio, but recently have had a hard time trying to find time to study during finals and my classes won't be over until next week ;/ ahh
  50. smithle85

smithle85 PCSOMHopeful

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'll be there July 6th too, I am worried it's a bit late though. I'm apply to mostly D.O. programs, a semi-non-trad student (26 years old) low undergrad GPA, 4.0 and almost finished with my MPH program.

I'm following the SN2ED schedule.