The Official 07/06/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impact2d

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm usually on SDN mobile and have been meaning to open this thread for a while. I guess I'll introduce myself first.

I'm somewhere towards the traditional side of the non-trad. I'm only 4 years out of undergrad, and am only a year older than the average med school matriculant-but I am a career changer who is married and completing my final prereq's post bacc (all finished in May).

I am using a hybrid of a few different MCAT studying styles posted here-but at the core it's most similar to SN2ed and the standard TBR schedule.

I am using TBR for Chem, O.Chem, and Physics (2012 edition). I am using TPRH and EK for Bio.

I don't really stick to the 1 chapter a day set up of SN2ed, I customized each chapter based on what my strengths and weaknesses were and how long ago I learned the topics in undergrad.

I almost always spend 2 days on Bio (this is the subject with the most "Content Gaps" for me) Oftentimes I can double up Ochem with Physics. Physics usually goes very fast, and O.Chem I find relatively easy compared to class (It helps that I just finished O.Chem 1, and am currently in O.Chem 2)

I'm also working part time and still in Ochem 2 and Physics 2, so studying full time is not an option until after May 4th, and even then I still have work. That is why I started at 4 months instead of 3, to try to get ahead since I know I will lose days over time.

I don't really do the 1/3's method in physics or chem. The books come with tests split into 3 phases and I prefer to just use it that way. After reading the chapter I do the untimed phase, a week later the timed phase, and am saving the final phase for review. I am not doing much TBR Bio in the early chapters-too much skipping around and testing obscure information I haven't reviewed yet. I know it's important to develop critical thinking, but I want to make sure I have the foundations down first. I stick to the EK in class and the TPRH science workbook. I will probably spend some time on TBR after I'm done with content review.

Also I use Chad's Videos like crazy, I watch them on fast forward and they really help give a quick overview. I wish there was a similar solution for Bio.

Well that's the rundown. Hopefully there are some people on here taking the same day. I know I can definitely use the motivation at times. My goal is to score >or=30.
Good luck!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I started studying using EK, I'm almost done with EK bio, but recently have had a hard time trying to find time to study during finals and my classes won't be over until next week ;/ ahh

I am having a hard time studying as well. Just got back from Europe when I took almost the entire week off and it is a struggle to stay focused.

Never-mind that my study schedule is making me a bit crazy-pants. I usually study 5:00 AM - 9:00 AM every weekday and maybe an hour or two in the evening.

Everytime I want to just throw all my MCAT studying **** out the window I just remind myself to take a few deep breaths, I take an hour off and watch some trashy TV and re-charge. Always helps. :laugh:

I am having a hard time studying as well. Just got back from Europe when I took almost the entire week off and it is a struggle to stay focused.

Never-mind that my study schedule is making me a bit crazy-pants. I usually study 5:00 AM - 9:00 AM every weekday and maybe an hour or two in the evening.

Everytime I want to just throw all my MCAT studying **** out the window I just remind myself to take a few deep breaths, I take an hour off and watch some trashy TV and re-charge. Always helps. :laugh:

I hear you I do the same. I'm also doing July 6th. If anyone is in the Seattle area I'd love a study buddy. I'm doing the Kaplan classroom anywhere. And am really liking it.

I am still only ~50% done with content review (doing some passages as well - using TBS Ochem, Physics and GenChem and EK Bio and EK 101 Verbal and TPR Verbal).

I am aiming to take my first post-content review by June 1... so I can decide whether to apply MD or not.

How far along is everyone else?

I feel like I am so behind... :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still only ~50% done with content review (doing some passages as well - using TBS Ochem, Physics and GenChem and EK Bio and EK 101 Verbal and TPR Verbal).

I am aiming to take my first post-content review by June 1... so I can decide whether to apply MD or not.

I'm not even 50% done with content. I haven't started physics or ochem yet due to finals week. I rather focus on classes so I won't screw up my whole semester. Couple chapters of EK bio and EK chem left and that's about it for those sections - then next week I'm starting physics/ochem.

Lol if anything I'm the one behind, I'm only about 25-30% done with content review. I'm doing my own modified SN2ED schedule and leaving 3-4 weeks for finishing up BR passage as and taking practice exams.

Let's be friends! I also take notes :)

Hey Folks. I just switched my MCAT date to this one last night (from May 31st, which was a switch from Apr 28).

Add me to the cadre of note-taking studiers who will be applying this cycle (entering 2013) while balancing a full-time internship. :cool:

Good luck on your studying!

I don't know what's wrong with me but I have been avoiding this thread like a plague. I guess it's b/c I've realized how much work I have to get done :eek:. But reading everyone's progress has kept me motivated. Keep up the great work!!!

Less than 2 months guys....ahhhhhhhhhhh

:eek: :scared:

Microbio is so boring... I should have saved it for later on in the morning, I can't keep my eyes open.

On the other hand my verbal is becoming more consistent, but my scores have dropped a bit - pretty depressing.

How is everyone else doing on verbal? I am using EK 101.

Anyone else find they completely space out while reading verbal passages? I just noticed this the other day. I caught myself, in the middle of reading a passage, thinking about what I wanted for dinner and how I was going to cook it. :laugh:

Sorry I haven't been on in a while, finally took my last final on Monday! I'm pretty sure I did really well (O.Chem) I also got a 97 on my physics final. I'm About half way done with content but def. running about 1 week behind. I started chapter 5 in TBR Chem and Physics this week, and am doing EK lecture 5 in Bio tomorrow, but I've still only done O.Chem chapter 1. I decided to save O.Chem for last since I just took it and was pretty strong in it-so if I needed to rush anything I figured that should be it.

It's hard, because I want to relax after a really hard semester, but i have to crack down and get caught up. Also, I'm a diehard rangers fan and these playoff games aren't helping my focus lol I'm going to try to double up a couple of days. Keep up the good work, and welcome to the new 07/06ers

Hey Folks. I just switched my MCAT date to this one last night (from May 31st, which was a switch from Apr 28).

Add me to the cadre of note-taking studiers who will be applying this cycle (entering 2013) while balancing a full-time internship. :cool:

Good luck on your studying!

Welcome! Also does anyone else read everything doublefrick writes as if it is Eliot from scrubs saying it lol.

:eek: :scared:

Microbio is so boring... I should have saved it for later on in the morning, I can't keep my eyes open.

On the other hand my verbal is becoming more consistent, but my scores have dropped a bit - pretty depressing.

How is everyone else doing on verbal? I am using EK 101.

Anyone else find they completely space out while reading verbal passages? I just noticed this the other day. I caught myself, in the middle of reading a passage, thinking about what I wanted for dinner and how I was going to cook it. :laugh:
Microbio is alright, I can't focus on genetics for my life :/

Yeah I space out in verbal too! Especially when it's really boring, my mins just starts to wander/panic about the science sections, heh.
I'm using EK 101 too, and some from the TPRH series.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I haven't been on in a while, finally took my last final on Monday! I'm pretty sure I did really well (O.Chem) I also got a 97 on my physics final. I'm About half way done with content but def. running about 1 week behind. I started chapter 5 in TBR Chem and Physics this week, and am doing EK lecture 5 in Bio tomorrow, but I've still only done O.Chem chapter 1. I decided to save O.Chem for last since I just took it and was pretty strong in it-so if I needed to rush anything I figured that should be it.

It's hard, because I want to relax after a really hard semester, but i have to crack down and get caught up. Also, I'm a diehard rangers fan and these playoff games aren't helping my focus lol I'm going to try to double up a couple of days. Keep up the good work, and welcome to the new 07/06ers

Congrats on finishing finals! One last push for this MCAT, and then you'll be free (unless you're applying, but at least it's not studying!)

What section?

Nervous System

I was a Neuro major... not sure what happened there.

Is anyone else concerned about taking the MCAT this late?

I am trying to switch to a June test day, but alas there are none within a 2 hour flight of me.

Nervous System

I was a Neuro major... not sure what happened there.

Is anyone else concerned about taking the MCAT this late?

I am trying to switch to a June test day, but alas there are none within a 2 hour flight of me.

Its alright man ima neuro major as well and got stumped on the neuro questions as well

anyone have trouble retaining concepts and how to work problems?
I took a week off so are because of finals and I feel like I need to start all over again....

Ahh I got a 10 on one of the EK chem passages, I feel good now since they tend to be a tad hard :p
so far 8, 10, 12 on the EK chem passages

Last edited:
Count me in. I tried signing up for the June 21st date, but it was full for my entire state :(. How's everyone's studying coming along? Has anyone started doing FLs?

Cool, me either. I'm using The Berkeley Review books for General Chemistry and Physics. And I'm also using Examkrackers for Biology. I have the Examkrackers 1001 for Biology, but I don't like it that much for some reason. I have The Princeton Review Science Workbook for a lot of practice, as well as their verbal workbook. I'm hoping to do my first FL by May 21st at least. This way, if I am progressing sufficiently, I might even try to reschedule my mcat to 6/21/12 in a different state if I have to lol.

I just want this to be over already. I've been studying for it so much, during school, and it sucks. I'm focusing a lot less on school and more on this thing.

Cool, me either. I'm using The Berkeley Review books for General Chemistry and Physics. And I'm also using Examkrackers for Biology. I have the Examkrackers 1001 for Biology, but I don't like it that much for some reason. I have The Princeton Review Science Workbook for a lot of practice, as well as their verbal workbook. I'm hoping to do my first FL by May 21st at least. This way, if I am progressing sufficiently, I might even try to reschedule my mcat to 6/21/12 in a different state if I have to lol.

I just want this to be over already. I've been studying for it so much, during school, and it sucks. I'm focusing a lot less on school and more on this thing.

it's hard for me to study for it because of school. I have my last final on Monday so hopefully after that is over I will study 10x more. But till then I have to study for my final ;///

it's hard for me to study for it because of school. I have my last final on Monday so hopefully after that is over I will study 10x more. But till then I have to study for my final ;///

Yeah, school + mcat = the suck, but what can you do? Do you have any other commitments after your finals, or is it all mcat studying til the test date?

Ahh, my finals aren't till mid June. And even then, I'm starting summer session I a week after finals. So that'll be my only week dedicated to MCAT :(. I wish I didn't need the summer funds to survive or I'd bypass summer school altogether.

You guys are planning on applying this cycle, right?

Yeah, school + mcat = the suck, but what can you do? Do you have any other commitments after your finals, or is it all mcat studying til the test date?

Ahh, my finals aren't till mid June. And even then, I'm starting summer session I a week after finals. So that'll be my only week dedicated to MCAT :(. I wish I didn't need the summer funds to survive or I'd bypass summer school altogether.

You guys are planning on applying this cycle, right?

I have my last final on Monday along with a paper to do ;/ Then after I'm done with finals it's MCAT studying time along with TA/Research so there is no break for me..The day literally after this MCAT date I start a statistics course that ends before Fall semester starts. Ahh yea I will have less then 2 months to study hardcore for the MCAT, I've been leisure studying every now and then during the end of the semester, but nearly impossible since I was taking 20 credits of all upper-lvl science

Also, I've never taken a break since I started school. Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring, and Maymesters! And yea I plan on applying for this coming cycle, and I believe everyone else is as well.:xf::xf: Hopefully I do well so I don't have to study for it all over again.... I hoping by next summer I will volunteer abroad, then Med school and no break like usual, but it's all good - might as well get everything over with early, I don't mind.

I will be there 7/6!! Excited/anxious/nervous...I am moving along in my content review but still alot to do. I have heard that taking the test on 7-6 is not a problem and then I have heard that it could be. I actually emailed admissions at one DO school asking him and he said I would be fine. What does everyone think? Is taking the test at this time, assuming you have your app and everything submitted, going to be "late" or not? Personally I think we are cool, but then again what do I know haha

I will be there 7/6!! Excited/anxious/nervous...I am moving along in my content review but still alot to do. I have heard that taking the test on 7-6 is not a problem and then I have heard that it could be. I actually emailed admissions at one DO school asking him and he said I would be fine. What does everyone think? Is taking the test at this time, assuming you have your app and everything submitted, going to be "late" or not? Personally I think we are cool, but then again what do I know haha

It's like the date before things start getting late. As long as you prewrite secondaries which are posted on SDN before you receive your MCAT scores you'll def be good to right when you get your scores which should be early Aug you can submit secondaries right away
For Texas schools this is pretty late and it's def gonna hurt me, that's why I'm applying D.O as well

As long as your app gets submitted and it gets verified either before our mcat score release or within a week, then we are good to go. I believe I read that peak SUBMISSION time is mid august. So if you already submit, get verified, turn in your LORs, etc...by August 8th, while we won't be as early as the neurotic a-types, we'll be earlier than most.

Just make sure your app is submitted and verified prior to getting our scores back and you have nothing to worry about.

With that said, I need to get my damn LORs from my professors. It sucks though because one of the LORs that I need are from a professor I'm taking this quarter. And even then, I don't think he'll be able to write it until the end of July or beginning of August, fml!

It's like the date before things start getting late. As long as you prewrite secondaries which are posted on SDN before you receive your MCAT scores you'll def be good to right when you get your scores which should be early Aug you can submit secondaries right away
For Texas schools this is pretty late and it's def gonna hurt me, that's why I'm applying D.O as well

Ok cool. And I plan to apply broadly for DO and only MD in state. So hopefully that is beneficial for me.

Anyone else starting to panic a bit? :scared:

I started off strong, but I am still stuck at ~60% content review because I am swamped at work. My verbal scores (EK 101) are also ALL over the place.

Anyone else starting to panic a bit? :scared:

I started off strong, but I am still stuck at ~60% content review because I am swamped at work. My verbal scores (EK 101) are also ALL over the place.

I'm panicking too...I'm almost 50% with content but some of the BR passages are KILLING me. :mad: :(

I just finished EK Bio/Chem just with notes though not exactly the content. I'ma finish up ochem and physics by the end of this week. Then after that, it gives me about 46 days to fully read through my notes and understand content material, and do some prac tests etc. I'm pretty stressed/nervous. Hopefully it's enough time to break a certain score so I can apply obv..

I'm panicking too...I'm almost 50% with content but some of the BR passages are KILLING me. :mad: :(

I also got TBR on the side, havent really looked through it and I bet! TBR is too dull for me to do content review so i decided EK review, and go back to check out the TBR passages. I'll do it after I'm done taking notes for all the content though.

Idk this shiz is hard lol

I've been studying since Monday - since that was my last final - 8 hours a day finished the EK chem/bio books. Today though I only did for 5 hours, but i needa take a nap then do some review. I forget some of my ochem which is sorta slowing me down regarding best leaving group stuff I totally forget

Starting to feel like I am just never going to be able to score well in the sciences. 8s and 9s on EK 30 min exams and 55% on EK 1001 and TBR. :(. Discouraged. Also still have about 10 chapters on content review.

Starting to feel like I am just never going to be able to score well in the sciences. 8s and 9s on EK 30 min exams and 55% on EK 1001 and TBR. :(. Discouraged. Also still have about 10 chapters on content review.

I got 8, 10, 12 on a few Gen chem EK 30 min exams
EK verbal 101: the first two exams I got 4, 5 :thumbdown:thumbdown
Physics not sure
Ochem not sure
Bio usually 70 -100% correct on problems

I mean the MCAT feels like your studying for 5-6 finals in one day!

People and the prep companies say to not memorize, but it seems like that's what you have to do for everything, memorize key facts for concepts, equations, everything from biology. Idk how some people do well on FLs without or very little prep..geniuses. Lol i think im doing it wrong..no idea

I also got TBR on the side, havent really looked through it and I bet! TBR is too dull for me to do content review so i decided EK review, and go back to check out the TBR passages. I'll do it after I'm done taking notes for all the content though.

Idk this shiz is hard lol

I feel uncomfortable with the level of depth of EK (aka too little), and since I'm a year out of undergrad I thought I'd be safer with TBR. It does get really dull though...even though sometimes they attempt to crack a joke -_-

Don't let this test beat you, keep going at it!
I've got lots of content review too, so I feel your pain.

I got 8, 10, 12 on a few Gen chem EK 30 min exams
EK verbal 101: the first two exams I got 4, 5 :thumbdown:thumbdown
Physics not sure
Ochem not sure
Bio usually 70 -100% correct on problems
Wow...I thought I was the only one struggling in EK 101 VR...I did the first two...7 and 6...Doing a lot better in EK bio 1001 and organic 1001. I use TBR for PS...Doing ok in Gen Chem averaging almost 10 but physics is killing me (averaging 8)...Not finding any tricks that can help me increase my score on VR...just need a 9 on it.

Hey guys.

I have EK and TBR (and TPR too lol). I've been mainly focusing on TBR for Physics and Chem and getting on average 4-6 out of 7 right with the occasional 7/7 and the occasional 3/7 (pos kinetics/buffers/equilibrium). I'm just about done with the content review for TBR, so now I think I might start reading Gen Chem and physics through EK and doing the 30min exams after. I'm not sure if I should do that first, or take practice tests while doing that. What do you guys think?

For bio I've been using EK Bio but haven't done any kind of passages for it. From hearing all the commotion of the most recent MCATs, it seems that bio is extremely different from the practice exams in EK or anywhere else for that matter. What have you guys been doing to test your Bio Knowledge. I do have TPR Science workbook,so I guess I can give that a look.

Anyhow, I need to at least get a 30 on this thing. I'm shooting for 35+ but will be happy with a 30. Actually, I wouldn't be too mad about a 27 to 29, but I wouldn't bee too happy either. Either way, I can't wait for this thing to hurry up and come so I can apply!

Wow...I thought I was the only one struggling in EK 101 VR...I did the first two...7 and 6...Doing a lot better in EK bio 1001 and organic 1001. I use TBR for PS...Doing ok in Gen Chem averaging almost 10 but physics is killing me (averaging 8)...Not finding any tricks that can help me increase my score on VR...just need a 9 on it.
Dude EK VR is ridiculous.
Physics is going to be a pain, not looking forward to it in the next few days...

Hey guys.

I have EK and TBR (and TPR too lol). I've been mainly focusing on TBR for Physics and Chem and getting on average 4-6 out of 7 right with the occasional 7/7 and the occasional 3/7 (pos kinetics/buffers/equilibrium). I'm just about done with the content review for TBR, so now I think I might start reading Gen Chem and physics through EK and doing the 30min exams after. I'm not sure if I should do that first, or take practice tests while doing that. What do you guys think?

For bio I've been using EK Bio but haven't done any kind of passages for it. From hearing all the commotion of the most recent MCATs, it seems that bio is extremely different from the practice exams in EK or anywhere else for that matter. What have you guys been doing to test your Bio Knowledge. I do have TPR Science workbook,so I guess I can give that a look.

Anyhow, I need to at least get a 30 on this thing. I'm shooting for 35+ but will be happy with a 30. Actually, I wouldn't be too mad about a 27 to 29, but I wouldn't bee too happy either. Either way, I can't wait for this thing to hurry up and come so I can apply!
You can do EK 1001 bio if you are weak in biology. If you are not, you would better off using TPRH. TPRH has a lot experimental passages. I heard they seem to be in line with the BS section of the MCAT test lately.

You can do EK 1001 bio if you are weak in biology. If you are not, you would better off using TPRH. TPRH has a lot experimental passages. I heard they seem to be in line with the BS section of the MCAT test lately.

This is true. Several people that recently took the MCAT have confirmed that the advanced passages in TPRH are very similar to the MCAT. They also have said the the TBR passages are similar in style to the real thing, even though the questions are sometimes far more specific/require too much outside knowledge.

I am really far behind. I just wrapped up finals, and I'm still working 20 hours a week. I also have to fly down to Dallas, TX tomorrow to see my sister graduate this weekend.

I am on chapter 6 in TBR Chem and Physics, and EK BIO. I am really confident in chemistry and o.chem. I've been scoring an average of 13 in TBR chem through book 1. Not quite as confident in physics, I've been scoring an average of about 12 through book but with more highs and lows. For verbal, I'm pretty confident, I got a 14 on EK 101 test 1.

Then comes Bio, scared about that one! I scored 13 on Ek in class 1 and a 10 on Ek in class 2, but scored 9's on 3 and 4. I am not happy that my score is declining as I move along. It's not like I don't know the physio or the details, I just miss the point of the questions or mis-interpret the graphs more than I should.

I am hoping if I double up and put in a few 10 hour days I can catch up and start FL's in 2 weeks.

As far as this date being late, I have to say that for many schools (assuming your app is completely done and verified sans MCAT) you are actually still early (they don't review apps until mid august) for others you are right on time, and for very few you might be "late" if your stats aren't stellar.

This is true. Several people that recently took the MCAT have confirmed that the advanced passages in TPRH are very similar to the MCAT. They also have said the the TBR passages are similar in style to the real thing, even though the questions are sometimes far more specific/require too much outside knowledge.

I am really far behind. I just wrapped up finals, and I'm still working 20 hours a week. I also have to fly down to Dallas, TX tomorrow to see my sister graduate this weekend.

I am on chapter 6 in TBR Chem and Physics, and EK BIO. I am really confident in chemistry and o.chem. I've been scoring an average of 13 in TBR chem through book 1. Not quite as confident in physics, I've been scoring an average of about 12 through book but with more highs and lows. For verbal, I'm pretty confident, I got a 14 on EK 101 test 1.

Then comes Bio, scared about that one! I scored 13 on Ek in class 1 and a 10 on Ek in class 2, but scored 9's on 3 and 4. I am not happy that my score is declining as I move along. It's not like I don't know the physio or the details, I just miss the point of the questions or mis-interpret the graphs more than I should.

I am hoping if I double up and put in a few 10 hour days I can catch up and start FL's in 2 weeks.
You are doing very good. My average in EK bio 1001 is a 10+. TPRH bio is probably 65%+, which might translate to an 8 . TBR gen chem is about 10...TBR physics is an 8....EK VR is 6...But again I am applying to DO only...All I need is 27+ to have a shot.

Just curious, why are you applying DO only? What kind of stats are you applying with?

I am only applying DO as of now as well. Possibly 1 MD school depending on my MCAT score (may submit to one school I am moderately interested in then add the school I really want to go to if my MCAT score is good enough to have a shot).

Guys don't get discouraged with EK 101 verbal. My first two tests were a 6 and 7 respectively and now I have am scoring 11 - 15. Verbal is HARD and if you are a fast reader my strategy is to map the passage in your mind and use it to go back to re-read one/two sentences that pertain to the question. It has worked wonders for me. I have also been doing scattered passages from TPRH Verbal Workbook everyday.

It sounds like if we put my verbal together with your guys sciences we would be kicking a** haha. I am struggling in the sciences and I think it is a symptom of being 4.5 years removed from my Gen Bio, Chem and Physics classes. I am literally re-teaching myself almost everything.

I am pretty much only applying to east coast DO schools - what MCAT score should I really be aiming for (3.4/3.4 GPA and lots of ECs with a slew of posters/pubs/talks)?

Took two AAMC's 3 and 4 and scored 35 and 30 BUT with 10 BS 15 VR 10 BS and 8 PS 14 VR 8 BS and the science scores were almost solely the product of very lucky guesses. Fml.

I'm still on content review, and starting to panic as I'm realizing this test can play a large portion in whether I go on to med school at all next year (3.7gpa, lots of ECs, lots of research, likely good LORs, but under 30 for last 2 MCATs).

I'm hoping to finish content review by the first week of June, which will give me 1 month for full-lengths and finishing up EK. I'm terrified to take any full-lengths right now.