The Official 07/06/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impact2d

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm usually on SDN mobile and have been meaning to open this thread for a while. I guess I'll introduce myself first.

I'm somewhere towards the traditional side of the non-trad. I'm only 4 years out of undergrad, and am only a year older than the average med school matriculant-but I am a career changer who is married and completing my final prereq's post bacc (all finished in May).

I am using a hybrid of a few different MCAT studying styles posted here-but at the core it's most similar to SN2ed and the standard TBR schedule.

I am using TBR for Chem, O.Chem, and Physics (2012 edition). I am using TPRH and EK for Bio.

I don't really stick to the 1 chapter a day set up of SN2ed, I customized each chapter based on what my strengths and weaknesses were and how long ago I learned the topics in undergrad.

I almost always spend 2 days on Bio (this is the subject with the most "Content Gaps" for me) Oftentimes I can double up Ochem with Physics. Physics usually goes very fast, and O.Chem I find relatively easy compared to class (It helps that I just finished O.Chem 1, and am currently in O.Chem 2)

I'm also working part time and still in Ochem 2 and Physics 2, so studying full time is not an option until after May 4th, and even then I still have work. That is why I started at 4 months instead of 3, to try to get ahead since I know I will lose days over time.

I don't really do the 1/3's method in physics or chem. The books come with tests split into 3 phases and I prefer to just use it that way. After reading the chapter I do the untimed phase, a week later the timed phase, and am saving the final phase for review. I am not doing much TBR Bio in the early chapters-too much skipping around and testing obscure information I haven't reviewed yet. I know it's important to develop critical thinking, but I want to make sure I have the foundations down first. I stick to the EK in class and the TPRH science workbook. I will probably spend some time on TBR after I'm done with content review.

Also I use Chad's Videos like crazy, I watch them on fast forward and they really help give a quick overview. I wish there was a similar solution for Bio.

Well that's the rundown. Hopefully there are some people on here taking the same day. I know I can definitely use the motivation at times. My goal is to score >or=30.
Good luck!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

That's def a good start! Keep it up bro.

Also the EK electrochemistry i thought was pretty sufficient, I scored a 10 on the EK 30 min exam in the back. But I did finish Gen Chem 2 this spring so that might help as well, Acids and bases is my strong point, scored a 12 for that.

Stochiometry they left out big time... i might do the TBR stochio, it seems good

hahahaha im not a bro im a girl!!! but yeah, i havent had genchem in a minute, so all that stochiometry and stuff is a major weakness for me. guess i'll have to try TBR...

Also, what did you think of AAMC 3 regarding material needed in order to do well? I know it's the outdated ones, and the newer AAMCs are better predictors.

honestly i really thought that the material was more of the bigger concepts that i still remembered. it helped a lot that the wording of the scientific passages was more straightforward too!

hahahaha im not a bro im a girl!!! but yeah, i havent had genchem in a minute, so all that stochiometry and stuff is a major weakness for me. guess i'll have to try TBR...
Lol my bad! ;) And yea stochio TBR is good, but the rest of TBR IMO it's hard to motivate yourself to read through the bland pages. But i heard TBR is really good, lol I have all the books as well, but haven't really looked through it

Members don't see this ad :)
So where is everyone at with content review and what are you using? I am starting to panic... My sciences just are not clicking. I still have to review all of the TBR Physics II book and the last two chapters in TBR Gen Chem and EK Bio. I just don't known how to find the time. Is 30 days leaving enough time for AAMC 6-11? Trying not to panic but I feel like I barely know anything. Uggg.

So where is everyone at with content review and what are you using? I am starting to panic... My sciences just are not clicking. I still have to review all of the TBR Physics II book and the last two chapters in TBR Gen Chem and EK Bio. I just don't known how to find the time. Is 30 days leaving enough time for AAMC 6-11? Trying not to panic but I feel like I barely know anything. Uggg.

Your not the only one, I don't know any physics, I finally finished the physics EK with notes, but can't answer any of the questions. I think couple more days Ill be fine with chem ,the only things that trip me up on PS section are the diagrams in passages/ machines etc being used followed with the questions I have no idea what's going on.

Since ppl are complaining about BS lately from previous threads, idk I'm just memorizing my notes from EK bio, still need to brush up on ochem..

Verbal score is increasing..

Overall I feel F'ed... Taking my first AAMC prac next week hopefully that would give me some confidence in material. I feel like I'm missing a lot of info from using EK in regards to calculating problems.

hey! yeah, i did and if you took the core classes you did too ;) the mcat prides itself on only having to have a 'basic' science knowledge. i used to think the same thing though, especially in regards to diagrams in passages (i sat for the MCAT two years ago when the stuff was still fresh in my head from undergrad but did NOT submit my score) in the physical sciences question.

yeah, very different from the LSAT. i wish all you needed for this test was logistical reasoning!

Huh :confused:

Your not the only one, I don't know any physics, I finally finished the physics EK with notes, but can't answer any of the questions. I think couple more days Ill be fine with chem ,the only things that trip me up on PS section are the diagrams in passages/ machines etc being used followed with the questions I have no idea what's going on.

Since ppl are complaining about BS lately from previous threads, idk I'm just memorizing my notes from EK bio, still need to brush up on ochem..

Verbal score is increasing..

Overall I feel F'ed... Taking my first AAMC prac next week hopefully that would give me some confidence in material. I feel like I'm missing a lot of info from using EK in regards to calculating problems.

You know what man, I started off taking notes on EK bio, but then I realized that EK Bio is so condensed as it is, that I might as well focus on just reading the chapters carefully. Seriously, I find that rereading the actual chapters is a lot better than reading the chapter once, making notes, then rereading the notes. Because the more times you go over the chapter, the more things you pick up that you probably completely missed the first time.

But yeah, I'm done with Bio and Chem/Physics (gonna do a few more passages in TBR). But yeah TBR is very bland in a few chapters. I mean, it's ok for the most part, but some chapters start talking about some off-the-wall stuff that will only make you more confused (they have 2 pages on refrigerators in the work/energy chapter) and the electrochemistry chapters have like 2 or 3 pages of dense random experiments that you definitely won't grasp unless you reread it like 5 times.

I just gotta finish ochem, which I know slightly for the most part, but definitely need to memorize chapter 4 in EK Ochem.

I'm so ready to take a practice test. I think I'm gonna take on on Tuesday (If I don't end up going to Disneyland) and If I get at least a 30, then I might try to change my date to 6/21.

We'll see

ahh i already want this test to come and go....I'm so anxious to do some FLs, but at the same time scared...

This MCAT is the only thing to worry about for the whole app....it's scary.

ahh i already want this test to come and go....I'm so anxious to do some FLs, but at the same time scared...

i know :( these next six or so weeks are going to drag on. at least we can all complain to each other here :p

lol this is a venting thread.. I'm using some khan academy right now looking over some stoichiometry. Also looked over some physics, but it's just too much info to retain

i need to do that. stoich and i do not get along. i did chapter 3 today and i feel like i had to read everything seven times. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you go back looking through the passage? Because on the EK verbal passages it always seems like you have to go back for one question or a few and scan around just to double check.

I do go back sometimes, but because I read carefully I usually know exactly where to go back to. Many times for me, by reading carefully the first time I don't need to go back a second. If I have extra time at the end, I will confirm any answer I was unsure of.

Do you feel as if your retaining the concepts/questions etc? I tend to understand the concepts etc, but the little EK 30 min exams or questions, I just don't know where to start to even answer it.. esp with physics and some chem problems. Bio i tend to feel fine it's more like straight memorizing facts and knowing what everything does.

For me it's kind of the opposite. I do really well with physics and chemistry, but using TBR, although I just had my first real bad practice test in physics in simple harmonic motion. Even though math is a weaker area of mine, I just finished physics so it is all very fresh in my head. As for Chemistry, I am a bit of a chemistry nerd and I absolutely loved the class.

I feel like Bio is where I get hurt. I know it's mostly memorization, but there are things they expect you to memorize that I just don't remember being in my classes. Then there are things EK says "don't memorize this" and then you get to the passages and it asks. Then they throw math in too, I didn't realize Bio was supposed to have math.

hi guys!:):) i'm registered for the 7/6 as well! just started studying last week -- i'm putting in 5-8 hour days, after 8 hours i hit a ceiling and my brain starts frying.

torshi -- i use EK too, and i feel the exact same way. i'll read and then take the mini quizzes and chapter exams and feel completely lost. it's only my first week so i'll be more worried if i still feel that way in a few weeks.

i'm taking one AAMC test every week, i have my first one tomorrow so we'll see how that goes...:scared:

is anyone using BR for physics or chem? i'm supplementing EK physics with PR physics. was looking for a good chem supplement too...

I personally think Chem is TBR's best subject and EKs worst, so you can't go wrong by supplementing with TBR

oh yeah! I forgot to ask--not to freak anyone out but since there's only ohh...i dont know...40something days until the test..what are you all currently doing & how many days/hours are you putting in?

Studying 8-10 hours at this point, theoretically. Some days I only get through 6 or 7. I am starting FLs first week of June even if content isn't 100% done. I'm going to try driving to the library tomorrow, see if it's easier to put in more hours there. When I was flying back from my sister's graduation in Dallas, I almost finished two TBR physics chapters in the 4 hour flight. I did 2 more hours in my hotel to completely finish. Usually it takes me 8-10 hours to finish two chapters w/passages. Something about not being able to get up and move or do anything else whatsoever for four hours. If I can replicate this at the library this will be good.

eek 7/6 is doomsday for me as well
originally I had signed up for may 12th...but thinking about it now
the idea that was going to be ready by then is :laugh: what was I thinking...
I took a TPR class that wrapped up the beginning of April it was ..eh. &now I'm just jumping on passages and freestanding ?'s.
no time to review my strategy has been that if I run into any question(s) I don't understand I go back directly to that section...which for physics seems to be EVERYTHING. But it narrows done what I know and don't know. I haven't taken a practice test as of recent but
on my 2 practice tests I've done so far the avg is 7 bio 6 phy. 10 ver --when I do I'm confident the bio score will be higher but that physical sciences boy....

I'm also taking a 6wk summer class..I wish I didn't have to because it makes studying even tougher but 1. need it to graduate and 2. not offered in the fall :uhno:
in short..i'm in a for a rough ride until 7/6 any tips to help with physics???

Welcome to the thread! Try Chad's videos for physics if you need BASIC review and some quick tricks. If you need something deeper get the 2011 or later edition of TBR.

Last edited:
i know :( these next six or so weeks are going to drag on. at least we can all complain to each other here :p

Very true. I like our thread. Everyone here is pretty awesome.

I purposely scheduled a vacation for right after the MCAT so I don't spend days stressing about it after it's over.

You know what man, I started off taking notes on EK bio, but then I realized that EK Bio is so condensed as it is, that I might as well focus on just reading the chapters carefully. Seriously, I find that rereading the actual chapters is a lot better than reading the chapter once, making notes, then rereading the notes. Because the more times you go over the chapter, the more things you pick up that you probably completely missed the first time.

But yeah, I'm done with Bio and Chem/Physics (gonna do a few more passages in TBR). But yeah TBR is very bland in a few chapters. I mean, it's ok for the most part, but some chapters start talking about some off-the-wall stuff that will only make you more confused (they have 2 pages on refrigerators in the work/energy chapter) and the electrochemistry chapters have like 2 or 3 pages of dense random experiments that you definitely won't grasp unless you reread it like 5 times.

I just gotta finish ochem, which I know slightly for the most part, but definitely need to memorize chapter 4 in EK Ochem.

I'm so ready to take a practice test. I think I'm gonna take on on Tuesday (If I don't end up going to Disneyland) and If I get at least a 30, then I might try to change my date to 6/21.

We'll see

Interesting thought with the EK Bio. I find that it takes me almost twice as long to read the chapter and take notes. Maybe I should try reading it twice for the next chapter. Honestly my notes usually end up only a few pages shorter than the EK chapter anyway. Even though I love taking notes this may be worth a try.
i need to do that. stoich and i do not get along. i did chapter 3 today and i feel like i had to read everything seven times. :(

Did you consider trying Chad's videos? I know I say that all of the time, but in Chem he really is invaluable.

I think I may be the only person that would be happy to take a 100% O.Chem Bio sciences section, with very little to no Gen. Bio. I loved O.Chem and I kind of hope the test has at least 2 O.Chem passages. Usually there is only 1, but I'd love to have one of the rare O.Chem heavy ones. As for physics, please just stay away from harmonics, for some reason I just didn't perform well on that section

I think I may be the only person that would be happy to take a 100% O.Chem Bio sciences section, with very little to no Gen. Bio. I loved O.Chem and I kind of hope the test has at least 2 O.Chem passages. Usually there is only 1, but I'd love to have one of the rare O.Chem heavy ones. As for physics, please just stay away from harmonics, for some reason I just didn't perform well on that section

:nono:

Just kidding. I don't know if I would mind 2 O-chem passages or not. it depends on how detailed they are and if they are based on low yield topics. If they are - I am screwed. I am only glazing over O-chem based on suggestions from everyone I know who has taken the MCAT (by glazing over I mean just reading TBR once and doing some passages).

I am taking my first real, post-content review full length next week and I am getting pretty freaking scared. I have taken two before, but the sciences for me were horrible, I guessed on half the questions, but ended up getting lucky with my guesses. Haha. I am sure this is why they tell you not to do any full length tests before content review because it was a total waste (except for verbal).

Has everyone else started taking full lengths, if not when are you starting?

I am thinking I am going to push through with 30 days left to go and do all the full lengths and as many passages from TPRH Workbook and Kaplan as I can possibly do.

Welp, guess it's about time I say hello.

Been watching this thread for a couple weeks now, and I am taking it 7/6 as well!

I'm currently doing 1 chapter from each of my books at a time, TBR for ochem, physics, and gen chem (and also watching Chad, who is freaking awesome), EK for Verbal, and EK/TPRH for Bio.

Currently things are going really slow, because I think I'm spending too much time on detail, averaging 1-1.5 chapters a day. I think I need to pick it up to at least 2 chapters a day? Oh and I plan on starting FL's the beginning of June.

Pleasure to meet you all my fellow 7/6 MCAT warriors!

Been watching this thread for a couple weeks now, and I am taking it 7/6 as well!

I'm currently doing 1 chapter from each of my books at a time, TBR for ochem, physics, and gen chem (and also watching Chad, who is freaking awesome), EK for Verbal, and EK/TPRH for Bio.

Currently things are going really slow, because I think I'm spending too much time on detail, averaging 1-1.5 chapters a day. I think I need to pick it up to at least 2 chapters a day? Oh and I plan on starting FL's the beginning of June.

Nice to meet you. Before I fell far behind I would only finish 1 chapter a day. It would take me two days to finish a Bio chapter.

Sent from my LePanII using SDN Mobile

:nono:

Just kidding. I don't know if I would mind 2 O-chem passages or not. it depends on how detailed they are and if they are based on low yield topics. If they are - I am screwed. I am only glazing over O-chem based on suggestions from everyone I know who has taken the MCAT (by glazing over I mean just reading TBR once and doing some passages).

I am taking my first real, post-content review full length next week and I am getting pretty freaking scared. I have taken two before, but the sciences for me were horrible, I guessed on half the questions, but ended up getting lucky with my guesses. Haha. I am sure this is why they tell you not to do any full length tests before content review because it was a total waste (except for verbal).

Has everyone else started taking full lengths, if not when are you starting?

I am thinking I am going to push through with 30 days left to go and do all the full lengths and as many passages from TPRH Workbook and Kaplan as I can possibly do.

Lol, I guess there are just so few places they can go with O.chem as opposed to Bio which is virtually limitless.

Nice to meet you. Before I fell far behind I would only finish 1 chapter a day. It would take me two days to finish a Bio chapter.

thanks for the advice! i will definitely look into TBR for chem. ha, i have no idea who this chad person is...

welcome! :) yeah i do two chapters everyday. i'm sticking to a strict study timeline.. i dont know how far along you are, but the 2 a day method will allow me ample time to get content review, practice problems, and practice tests done. just a thought :)

What is your take on the Organic Chemistry section - with respect to the reactions? Which reactions did you commit to memory? Thanks.

HELP!!!
Ok I just took my first kaplan assessment and got a 19 :oops: 6VR 5PS 8BS
I haven't looked at physics and gchem much b.c it scares me :( But i'm halfway done with bio info. Verbal I plan on doing a practice test every other day... How many full lengths is a good amount to take before the actual test?? I have a schedule so that I should be done reviewing info by July 8th... when should I begin practice full lengths? and how often should I take one? every other day? Am I behind? :(

also I heard kaplan sucks for verbal so I'm using EK for that

HELP!!!
I haven't looked at physics and gchem much b.c it scares me :( But i'm halfway done with bio info. Verbal I plan on doing a practice test every other day... How many full lengths is a good amount to take before the actual test?? I have a schedule so that I should be done reviewing info by July 8th... when should I begin practice full lengths? and how often should I take one? every other day? Am I behind? :(

it's gonna be okay!! deep breaths!! i'm trying to do a full length once every week, so seven total. between EK's VR (i agree, much better than Kaplan's!) and the AAMC tests, at least for me is a good verbal work out. (VR has so far been my highest scoring section anyway though). i don't think you're behind! i assume you mean you'll be done content review by june 8th? if so, you have almost a full month! i'd say take enough practice tests until you're happy with your with your score, but definitely leave enough room in between to review problem areas.

be confident :) we all have this info somewhere in our brains from undergrad, we just have to brush up on it.

it's gonna be okay!! deep breaths!! i'm trying to do a full length once every week, so seven total. between EK's VR (i agree, much better than Kaplan's!) and the AAMC tests, at least for me is a good verbal work out. (VR has so far been my highest scoring section anyway though). i don't think you're behind! i assume you mean you'll be done content review by june 8th? if so, you have almost a full month! i'd say take enough practice tests until you're happy with your with your score, but definitely leave enough room in between to review problem areas.

be confident :) we all have this info somewhere in our brains from undergrad, we just have to brush up on it.

Ok you are making me feel better! :) I have been on and off prepping all spring semester in between studying for classes. I just recently finished ochem part 2 and am fully reviewed thanks to the class, and finished biochem. I am taking 1 summer school class, a less difficult physio class (normally taken by kinesiology majors at my school) starting tomorrow, it will help me with bio review. I'm just worried about physics :/

HELP!!!

wow...yea i just did one today....17.................
I need to review my ochem big time....also i missed some easy ass questions...
and my highest score was verbal...lowest being in BS

wow...yea i just did one today....17.................
I need to review my ochem big time....also i missed some easy ass questions...
and my highest score was verbal...lowest being in BS

Come on Torshi, let's own this thing :x lol hope we have enough time!! :oops:

start off not timing, but then start timing yourself at the 2nd or 3rd test, then after that try mimicking actual test day schedule, w/ breaks and all. Yea ochem 2 really helped me!

start off not timing, but then start timing yourself at the 2nd or 3rd test, then after that try mimicking actual test day schedule, w/ breaks and all. Yea ochem 2 really helped me!

Yea I'll be doing that for sure.. When should I do another FL? Tom i'ma go over AAMC 3, and finish up some ochem 2 from EK

I'm no pro I haven't even taken one yet :/ But when I'm finished reviewing the material, I am gonna try for 1 every other day, and the in between days, look over my answers. Medpr suggested not wasting any more practice exams until we have a good grasp on the material. We might get burn out but I think as long as we do 3 a week we will progress nicely :)

I'm no pro I haven't even taken one yet :/ But when I'm finished reviewing the material, I am gonna try for 1 every other day, and the in between days, look over my answers. Medpr suggested not wasting any more practice exams until we have a good grasp on the material. We might get burn out but I think as long as we do 3 a week we will progress nicely :)

yea damn i don't have that many prac exams though..

i retook the bio section of aamc because i know that low of a score had to been a fluke.. 2nd time got an 8.
so roughly the first AAMC is 6 PS 7 VR 8 BS = 21

can't afford mistakes. gotta keep on truckin

i retook the bio section of aamc because i know that low of a score had to been a fluke.. 2nd time got an 8.
so roughly the first AAMC is 6 PS 7 VR 8 BS = 21

can't afford mistakes. gotta keep on truckin

No No No No brortha. Don't lie to yourself. If you retook the BS section like a month later, then that would be legit. But taking it right after is fraudulent lol. Just look at as you're going to go from a 17 to a 34. A 100% increase, I can already feel it!

No No No No brortha. Don't lie to yourself. If you retook the BS section like a month later, then that would be legit. But taking it right after is fraudulent lol. Just look at as you're going to go from a 17 to a 34. A 100% increase, I can already feel it!

lmao i know it just keeps me on feet not knowing i was in the "teens" but yea you're right. And thanks hopefully it works out!

I am TOTALLY underestimating Orgo. I have always sucked at it, but I haven't looked it over yet and just got an 8 BS on a practice exam... 28% of Organic questions correct and 77% of Bio questions correct. Should I be totally flipping out at this point? That is so demoralizing...

I am TOTALLY underestimating Orgo. I have always sucked at it, but I haven't looked it over yet and just got an 8 BS on a practice exam... 28% of Organic questions correct and 77% of Bio questions correct. Should I be totally flipping out at this point? That is so demoralizing...

did you do the whole prac exam? what was the breakdown?

Also I'm with you man, the majority of the orgo questions idk except a few easy ones, but the rest not sure, and AAMC 3 was considered "easy" so idk how I'll do on the real deal.

did you do the whole prac exam? what was the breakdown?

Also I'm with you man, the majority of the orgo questions idk except a few easy ones, but the rest not sure, and AAMC 3 was considered "easy" so idk how I'll do on the real deal.

Ug... I don't even want to talk about it. Verbal was high, as usual. PS sucked almost as much as Bio.

An 8 in Bio... WTF is wrong with me... it was the lower end of the 8 scale as well. Agh, I feel so defeated. Back to studying.

I'm reviewing AAMC 3 and I made the dumbest mistakes and when answering questions I noticed I was looking at things i shouldn't have. I wasted such a perfect test...this always happens. At least i know now. i knew half or the majority of the answers...I freakin wasted my time not being fully attentive. I could of scored in the higher 20s or maybe even broken 30