The *OFFICIAL* 2006-2007 EM Match Interviews Offered Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post your interview offers here... this is sure to be one of the most anticipated and viewed threads of the season (second only to docB's and Apollyon's banana hammock posing thread).

Q

Members don't see this ad.

Post your interview offers here... this is sure to be one of the most anticipated and viewed threads of the season (second only to docB's and Apollyon's banana hammock posing thread).

Q

Q is starting EARLY this year...

Could he be in the beginning throes of reviewing apps already ?!?:idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I be having interviews yet? I mean, I haven't even submitted.

Although I did add Q's program recently.

I just scheduled an interview at St. Vincent's in Toledo, Ohio. Anybody else scheduled any? I was totally surprised being my apps have been in for three days.:)

I technically have one interview done. Rotating students at UC Davis do not need to return for a formal interview. They are of the philosophy that they can learn all they want about you by working/interacting with you for one month. :D

I submitted my app on Sept 30th.. (which was a friday last yr) and i had 3 interview offers by monday morning..

One interview, but only because I am rotating there now. I'm half way through the rotation.

Beth Israel, Manhattan

Members don't see this ad :)
Drew Med in California

Drew Med in California

?! are you actually serious about going to Drew/King?!

anyway, I have not gotten any EMED interviews. BAH!!!!

I have some Fam practice and Int Med stuff, which I am less than excited about. :( I don't have gthe heart to schedule them yet becuase I need/want at least 1 emed interview. I feel like a **** cuz I'm not getting any EMED interviews.

I submitted my app on Sept 30th.. (which was a friday last yr) and i had 3 interview offers by monday morning..

plz tell me u are joking.. my mail is still empty.

Y'all. Relax. It's only Sept. 9. We haven't even started going through ours. You won't get the bulk of your offers until October and some programs don't START offering until November. So please don't stress yet.

plz tell me u are joking.. my mail is still empty.

Ray notice I said Sept 30th (the post is meant to be clear that this was last yr). As MaryJane said.. October you will get about 1/3 to 1/2 of your interview offers and then in November you will get the rest. Relax as best you can.

1 St Vincents in Toledo
2 Drew in L.A.

A lot of programs have not even retrieved my info yet.

For pedi EM fellowship (from pedi residency) -

Denver
Boston Med Center (BU affiliation)
Baylor College of Medeicine
Phoenix Children's

Our interview season starts earlier and ends earlier - I'll have my answer sometime late Dec/early January, if I understand the schedule correctly.

First interview Sept 25th. Cross your fingers for me!

1 St Vincents in Toledo
2 Drew in L.A.

A lot of programs have not even retrieved my info yet.

I'm guessing your letters have already been in?? That's the only thing I'm waiting on with the ERAS, depressing to see that none of mine have been uploaded according to the ADTS. Still think it's too early to harass my letter writers too....it's only Sept 9!

This means it's also time for the annual Febrifuge "Tech Buys A Drink" thing. If you get an interview at the place where I work, I'll buy you a beverage of your choice and tell you what I can, about the metro area, the program, the facilities, and whatnot. It's not gossip: it's perspective! (Plus it's almost all positive anyway).

I have a question. Can programs look at your photo before they decide to interview you? So, if I see that a program has downloaded my photo can I assume I have an interview there?

Also, I got an interview at St. Barnabas which is a DO program.

I have a question. Can programs look at your photo before they decide to interview you? So, if I see that a program has downloaded my photo can I assume I have an interview there?

Also, I got an interview at St. Barnabas which is a DO program.

No, they can't. So, if you're a grub, you get in by your merits.

Seems like yesterday I was on the other side of this thread. Just try and relax. The vast majority of interview invites will be sent to you via email and ERAS mail between the last week of October and the middle of November. A few rare programs will offer earlier, and you will get a few stragglers sending invites into early December. Don't sweat it though as you cannot predict why some people get invites early and some get them late. Just remember that BKN showed some nuclear physics style math stat a few months back that made it look like almost everyone matched into EM if they just played a smart hand.

still no EMED interviews. (insert tears here)

do you have to walk on water with perfect board scores, AOA, etc, in order to get interview offers this early? These programs haven't even downloaded my stuff! what up!!!

dude dont worry some programs just wait a lot longer.. so relax.. you can stress in mid oct or mid nov..

dude dont worry some programs just wait a lot longer.. so relax.. you can stress in mid oct or mid nov..

hmmm, that's dude-ette ! :)
yeah, I will have some gin and gin and calm down.

still no EMED interviews. (insert tears here)

do you have to walk on water with perfect board scores, AOA, etc, in order to get interview offers this early? These programs haven't even downloaded my stuff! what up!!!

If they haven't downloaded your stuff, then you probably have too many syllables in your name.

Or they just haven't gotten to it. Either way.

If they haven't downloaded your stuff, then you probably have too many syllables in your name.

Or they just haven't gotten to it. Either way.

I'm sure this is true, but even so I can't help obsessing about it. I keep looking at each school and for the ones that haven't downloaded me I start yelling at the computer screen "what is your PROBLEM UPenn!? are you too good for me?"

unfortunately since even my own institution has not downloaded my application (and I know they are going to interview me), I guess some people just aren't in any rush. But I think they should be, because I am giving extra points in my head to all the programs who download stuff quickly. :)

I'm sure this is true, but even so I can't help obsessing about it. I keep looking at each school and for the ones that haven't downloaded me I start yelling at the computer screen "what is your PROBLEM UPenn!? are you too good for me?"

unfortunately since even my own institution has not downloaded my application (and I know they are going to interview me), I guess some people just aren't in any rush. But I think they should be, because I am giving extra points in my head to all the programs who download stuff quickly. :)

I know this is tough, but each program has 300-800 apps to go through with up to 12 documents apiece. I'll probably spend more than 100 hours on this. Be patient, we're all over it but it takes time.

do all programs offer interviews through email/ERAS??
or are there programs that insist on last-century-style paper mail carried by those funny-looking mail carts?? I can't help to think they would misplace my mail.. I mean, even their steering wheel is on the wrong side.... Jeez :scared:
-nervous

do all programs offer interviews through email/ERAS??
or are there programs that insist on last-century-style paper mail carried by those funny-looking mail carts?? I can't help to think they would misplace my mail.. I mean, even their steering wheel is on the wrong side.... Jeez :scared:
-nervous

A few places call you, almost all email (check your spam filter) and the ones who send snail mail usually email the same thing to you as well.

Hope this helps..

has anyone gotten an email just saying that your application has been received from a program? I have heard of this happening with other specialities but havent heard from any EM programs doing this.

yup yup Beth Israel (HAEMR) sent a confirmation before my app was complete. it was missing 1 letter. -- (this is my first post, hi everyone!)

Yeah! Got my first EM interview today as well...go Buckeyes! Kinda weird, b/c i have no LORs on ERAS yet!

I got one from St. Vincent - Toledo (didn't rotate there) 2 days after I submitted on Sept 1st. I'm bummed people are getting OSU without rotating there already! Where's mine?

I got one from St. Vincent - Toledo (didn't rotate there) 2 days after I submitted on Sept 1st. I'm bummed people are getting OSU without rotating there already! Where's mine?

Don't freak out and don't read too much into things. For instance, everyone that rotates at our program gets interviewed (unless you urinate on the PDs desk or something). They aren't even "considered" in our early batch of interviewees although I'm not sure when their letters go out.

Some programs also "interview" you at the end of your rotation, especially is travel is a big consideration.

mike

I'm in the same boat...I'm checking my email every chance I get! Talk about obsessive compulsive behavior....I'll be so glad when all of this is over. Does anyone know if a program if going to invite you do they usually send out invites soon after downloading your stuff? Its been like a week or so since some programs have downloaded my stuff but no word from them yet. :scared:

yup yup Beth Israel (HAEMR) sent a confirmation before my app was complete. it was missing 1 letter. -- (this is my first post, hi everyone!)

Me too...got an email from Beth Israel saying they received my app and will contact me by email for anything else. Congrats to all y'all who already have interviews! For the rest of us, it's way, way, WAY too early to be worrying about not having interviews. Besides...it's fourth year...shouldn't we be having fun and relaxing this year?? Well, that's my plan at least. :cool:

I'm in the same boat...I'm checking my email every chance I get! Talk about obsessive compulsive behavior....I'll be so glad when all of this is over. Does anyone know if a program if going to invite you do they usually send out invites soon after downloading your stuff? Its been like a week or so since some programs have downloaded my stuff but no word from them yet. :scared:

NO! We can't see your stuff until we download it, but that doesn't mean it comes individually nor that we look at it immediately. Every new document on every applicant to the program comes through when we update. We don't get packages separately for an applicant. Once downloaded, it sits in a pile of thousands of documents organized by applicant that we can slice and dice with a variety of filters.

How each program apoproaches the task varies:

1. Some handle it by not even worrying about it till mid-October or even after the MSPEs (Dean's letters) are released on 1 November.

2. Some programs that do a lot of interviews relative to their number of slots just apply a minimal standards screen and send out the invites. They figure that they'll do the real sorting at the interview. They may do this early or late.

3. Some do it the way I do: I look at the database several times a week. I sort as yes, no, or hold for more info. I do it this way because:
a. I've got many hours of this to do, and I want to spread it out.​

b. I don't want to invite those who have little chance of being ranked. This requires that I look at each app pretty carefully, but it saves their money and our time.​

My point in going through this again is to try to calm you down (as if that were possible).

Just remember:

1. You can't know the screening habits of a particular program. Don't worry about your interviews unless you haven't got a lot of invites by the 10th of November. If that happens, you didn't apply to enough programs for your level of competitiveness. Add some more.

2. Unless you have a unusually bad record as a USMG, you'll get plenty of interviews and a match that you'll be happy with.

3. D.O.s have a somewhat harder time in the allopathic match, but since they also have the outlet of the D.O. programs, it appears that most who want EM training get it.

4. The IMGs among you clearly understand that you have it tougher and those with marginal records don't apply to EM. Those with a good record have a reasonable chance.

5. Mellow out, it's gonna be good.

So for those of you applying this year, read BKN's post FOUR times. Then one more time. Then close your eyes, count to 10, then read it again. Relax! Its still sooooo very early!

NO! We can't see your stuff until we download it, but that doesn't mean it comes individually nor that we look at it immediately. Every new document on every applicant to the program comes through when we update. We don't get packages separately for an applicant. Once downloaded, it sits in a pile of thousands of documents organized by applicant that we can slice and dice with a variety of filters.

1. Some handle it by not even worrying about it till mid-October or even after the MSPEs (Dean's letters) are released on 1 November.

2. Some programs that do a lot of interviews relative to their number of slots just apply a minimal standards screen and send out the invites. They figure that they'll do the real sorting at the interview. They may do this early or late.

3. Some do it the way I do: I look at the database several times a week. I sort as yes, no, or hold for more info. I do it this way because:

b. I don't want to invite those who have little chance of being ranked. This requires that I look at each app pretty carefully, but it saves their money and our time.​

My point in going through this again is to try to calm you down (as if that were possible).

Just remember:

1. You can't know the screening habits of a particular program. Don't worry about your interviews unless you haven't got a lot of invites by the 10th of November. If that happens, you didn't apply to enough programs for your level of competitiveness. Add some more.

2. Unless you have a unusually bad record as a USMG, you'll get plenty of interviews and a match that you'll be happy with.

3. D.O.s have a somewhat harder time in the allopathic match, but since they also have the outlet of the D.O. programs, it appears that most who want EM training get it.

4. The IMGs among you clearly understand that you have it tougher and those with marginal records don't apply to EM. Those with a good record have a reasonable chance.

Me too...got an email from Beth Israel saying they received my app and will contact me by email for anything else. Congrats to all y'all who already have interviews! For the rest of us, it's way, way, WAY too early to be worrying about not having interviews. Besides...it's fourth year...shouldn't we be having fun and relaxing this year?? Well, that's my plan at least. :cool:

oops i wanted to clarify in case i was panicking someone, my original post was in response to shortbread9's q asking if programs were giving receipts for applications -- sorry shoulda quoted the original post in my reply, i am new here.:oops: so, no interview offers for me yet, just trying to get all my letters in right now. my program will not start offering interviews for another month, and they have a yes/no pile and then different flavors of maybe (strong, solid, weak). they've been downloading applications but no file has been actually read yet.

BKN -

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to come on SDN and post some extremely helpful and calming information. You have been doing this on a regular basis and I am sure I speak for all of us MS III and IVs when I say thank you. I have a question for you Sir. I am an USIMG applicant with a subpar Step 1 score (79/194) and an average Step 2 score (88/217). While I understand that there is more to an applicant than his board scores, will I even get passed the initial screening process by most programs? Thank you again

CJ

Just remember:

thanks for the rad post. I was spazzing out. Still am, but less so I guess.