The Official 3/24 2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor712

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm registered, 8am. Will be on the 4 month S2N study plan, all materials in hand. This is a retake for me.

Good luck all.

D712

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to sign up for that date too. Retaker as well.

I'll be doing a modified SN2ED 4 month plan. Started studying already, will start the plan in december.

Already signed up. First timer here. Signed up to the Kaplan class starting 1/7.

Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump!
:D

I just signed up and it feels so real. Its time to get serious. How is everyone studying????? I am using TBR, and TPRH.

I've been waiting for this thread. Signed up for this date the other day. I'll be following the sn2ed schedule. I'm waiting on the TBR materials and have the EK stuff already. Good luck everyone!

I've been waiting for this thread. Signed up for this date the other day. I'll be following the sn2ed schedule. I'm waiting on the TBR materials and have the EK stuff already. Good luck everyone!
I got the TBR stuff about a year ago and now I see that EK Bio 1001 isnt used and I should use TBR bio for passages
I have The Princeton review and Cracking the MCAT(the princeton review0 passages/materials, Bio is my strongest subject on old Mcat tests. what is the consensus? should I get TBR bio?

SN2ed he prefers what I already have,

Materials:

- Berkeley Review (BR) General Chemistry
- BR Organic Chemistry
- Examkrackers (EK) Biology for non-detailed approach OR The Princeton Review Hyperlearning (TPR) Biology/BR Biology for a detailed approach (In the schedule, I will use EK Bio because most prefer a non-detailed approach)

I got the TBR stuff about a year ago and now I see that EK Bio 1001 isnt used and I should use TBR bio for passages
I have The Princeton review and Cracking the MCAT(the princeton review0 passages/materials, Bio is my strongest subject on old Mcat tests. what is the consensus? should I get TBR bio?

You might want TBR Bio for the passages if you can spare the 60$ plus shipping. Or you might check the for sale section. I can't personally speak to how great TBR Bio is though b/c I haven't received mine yet.

Maybe someone that has it already can weigh in on this.

So I bought all the books over the summer in preparation for the 4 month (give or take a few days with the holidays and maybe more because I work and have a family) plan anticipating on starting this month, which I have. I started doing TBR Chem I and got so disheartened on how much I forgot. So instead of doing anymore passages, I've been doing practice problems online, Khan's etc. This stoicheometry is just not getting into my brain. :bang:

I'm wondering if I should just keep going with the next set of passages on the schedule even though I didn't get the ones I did for Chem I.

I stopped yesterday and now I'm doing practice verbal passages, again from online. I don't want to "waste" my books if I don't know the content. What do you guys think? I don't want to deviate too much from the schedule bc what would be the point, right?

Was about to register and wimped out. Uggh

So I bought all the books over the summer in preparation for the 4 month (give or take a few days with the holidays and maybe more because I work and have a family) plan anticipating on starting this month, which I have. I started doing TBR Chem I and got so disheartened on how much I forgot. So instead of doing anymore passages, I've been doing practice problems online, Khan's etc. This stoicheometry is just not getting into my brain. :bang:

I'm wondering if I should just keep going with the next set of passages on the schedule even though I didn't get the ones I did for Chem I.

I stopped yesterday and now I'm doing practice verbal passages, again from online. I don't want to "waste" my books if I don't know the content. What do you guys think? I don't want to deviate too much from the schedule bc what would be the point, right?

Was about to register and wimped out. Uggh
You should get the EK 1001 books for even more problems to practice with, costs maybe $15-30, I got mine off Amazon. They only test content, which you need. Just hammer out question after question in these EK books. Those khan vids are good, but you still need to just hammer out question after question. Literally drill it into yourself by just doing problem after problem. I've had to that in Organic chem for a while and it's finally starting to show good results.

Once you seriously got your content down, use the TBR passages. But don't worry if you're getting hammered, if you're following a schedule that alternates passages, you'll be coming back to the same chapter at least 2 more times. Just hammer out even more content questions.

Some more good sites to check out...wikipremed, Chad's videos (highly recommended on SDN...have small fee though), some freelance one I forget the name of....

Bottom line is practice the shat out of the sections you are weak on.

You might want TBR Bio for the passages if you can spare the 60$ plus shipping. Or you might check the for sale section. I can't personally speak to how great TBR Bio is though b/c I haven't received mine yet.

Maybe someone that has it already can weigh in on this.
its been too long since I ordered the books
how do i order them now? do they have a email/fax number or do I still have to mail in a order?
thanks

its been too long since I ordered the books
how do i order them now? do they have a email/fax number or do I still have to mail in a order?
thanks

I printed the order form from their website. Then you either mail the form along with a check, money order, or enter your credit card info on the form. I've heard not to use a check though bc apparently that delays the process even further.

Herbal, I do have all the EK's. I was including those as well in reference to wasting study material.

Members don't see this ad :)
Herbal, I do have all the EK's. I was including those as well in reference to wasting study material.

Those aren't really wasting materials, I think. MCAT questions are not like the ones in EK 1001, so it's fine if you do them just to get content down. Not a waste at all, that's what I use them for...generally I suck at the start, but once I see the explanation to a question I got wrong, I get a lot better towards the end of the EK 1001 sections and move onto passages.

You should definitely move onto the next section. There's lots of passages in each section + don't forget the main practice is AAMC FLs. You'll definitely be coming back to Chem 1 quite a few times, don't worry about that.

Hey Guys!! Im signed up for the March date & im getting nervous :(
Here is my plan...
Get through all the EK material including 1001 questions
Start Kaplan class books (borrowed from a friend who took the class)
Pick up additional study material with the Princeton Review series
AAMC FLs everyweek in the final month or so.

Does that sound legit?
& how r u all managing with classes? Im taking a full load of 17 credits and working partime!

I registered last week! So excited and nervous at the same time. :scared:

Has anyone started studying yet? I've been studying here and there since October.

taking this train...
I will take this test no matter what.
Taking it for second time, I'll make sure I study on weekdays and saturdays, and just a light review on sunday (break day). The balance of break + focused study over 3 months should be enough...After all this is not a test designed to study 4+ months anyways...

Gluck to all, let's keep up our work guys!

taking this train...
I will take this test no matter what.
Taking it for second time, I'll make sure I study on weekdays and saturdays, and just a light review on sunday (break day). The balance of break + focused study over 3 months should be enough...After all this is not a test designed to study 4+ months anyways...

Gluck to all, let's keep up our work guys!

That's the spirit!!!!! :thumbup:

I'm halfway trough reading should be done by the 2nd week of jan then is practice,practice and more practice

let's keep ourselves up with the study + plan by sharing our status here more often...
Although March sounds far away, it's only about 13 or so weeks left...
I just set my home web page to this so I frequently remind myself about the exam haha...
Let's stay focused and show consistency!

How's everyone studying on Verbal?

Hi all. I signed up a bit ago, but haven't really been able to start studying until recently because of finals. I'm hoping to hit all of my content really hard between now and when my next semester starts. I have about a month, so I think I can knock out all of TBR's content and 1/3 of the passages before I head back to classes.

Wow time flies...
Started it as "100" day project, and it's ALREADY d-92!!!

1 week gone, 13 weeks left!

Originally was going to go for January...but did not work out. Here's what I am doing--
if anyone wants to follow...message me your skype name so we can stay on track!

12/22/2011 – 1 Chapter in Biology
12/23/2011 – 2 Chapters in Physics
12/24/2011 – 2 Chapters in Chemistry
12/25/2011 – 2 Chapters in Biology
12/26/2011 – 2 Chapters in Physics
12/27/2011 – Wrap-up Physics I
12/28/2011 – Wrap-up Chemistry I
12/29/2011 – 2 Chapters in Biology
12/30/2011 – 2 Chapters in Physics II
12/31/2011 – Finish all of Physics
1/1/2012 – 2 Chapters in General Chemistry II
1/2/2012 – 2 Chapters in Biology
1/3/2012 – 1 Chapter in Organic, 1 Chapter in Biology
1/4/2012 – 2 Chapters in General Chemistry II
1/5/2012 – 1 Chapter in Organic, 1 Chapter in Biology
1/6/2012 – Finish all of PS
1/7/2012 – 1 Chapter in Organic, 1 Chapter in Biology
1/8/2012 – 1 Chapter in Organic, 1 Chapter in Biology
1/9/2012 – 1 Chapter in Organic, 1 Chapter in Biology
1/10/2012 – 1 Chapter in Organic, 1 Chapter in Biology
1/11/2012 – Wrap-up Biology
1/12/2012 – Finish Organic
1/13/2012 – Finish all of content review
1/14/2012 – 1/17/2012 – review all the passages; take a FL

I'm going to start hard-core studying today! 3 months until the test. :scared:

Happy Holidays, everyone!

I made myself my own "syllabus" but I'm basically rotating through content review right now. I do a section of g chem, then bio, then o chem, then physics. I have been going pretty quickly through all of them except physics which is my weakness. Will probably be doing content reviewing by the end of winter break ish.. then its practice till test day..

I made myself my own "syllabus" but I'm basically rotating through content review right now. I do a section of g chem, then bio, then o chem, then physics. I have been going pretty quickly through all of them except physics which is my weakness. Will probably be doing content reviewing by the end of winter break ish.. then its practice till test day..

I am not sure when your "winter break" ends, but that sounds like a legit plan :)

I realize that without a proper, detailed study plan, we can't successfully finish this exam. Although i know everyone has plans, it's the execution that many fail... (MCAT really is 1% plan, 99% execution of the plan)

I utilized the popular "3 month plan" and modified a bit to make my own schedule (I have more FL to play around with, I do not need TBR stuff for Bio and Orgo since Kaplan books are sufficient for me in those sections).

My plan also says I'll be done with all Subject reviews by mid January, and will be doing full length + detailed review of weak topics.

Let's Keep up!!!

Happy New Years!

Took a quick break from studying today to join the discussion.

I've been following a modified form of SN2ED's 4 month plan which I started a little over a month ago. The holidays were kinda challenging for me as far as keeping up with my schedule, but at least I didn't get too far behind.

This is my first time taking the MCAT, and I've never done a practice test or diagnostic, so I'm just plugging ahead with my studying and hoping I'm on the right track. Fingers crossed!

How far is everyone in their studying?

I will be done with content review in a few days (January 8th).

And then it will be TPR Science Workbook for a week, and the 1001 books for another 6 days.

After that, BR phases throughout January/mid-February. And then FL! If time permits, I will go through Kaplan as well (signed-up for the online class).

Have been doing content reviews only for the weak sections of Orgo and Bio ~2 times a week and doing TBR chapters for physical sciences.
Doing verbal at LEAST 3 passages a day, but have been slacking off a little since christmas so a little behind... but now time to catch up!

i called this the 100 day project, already 1/5 of time gone! only 81 days left!!!

Hi everyone! ,

I have been reading this forum for a while and I have found it very useful!

I am in for the mcat on march 24th as well! I just finished the first week of S2N 3-month study plan! I know I am late but it was hard to keep up with the holidays and all the celebrations going on.. anyway, I am pretty much dedicating the next three months to study for the exam, volunteering, going to they gym and hanging out so it should not be so stressful. Good luck to you all!

So I've decided physics is basically the devil. Definitely my worst subject. It's a really good thing I've been breezing though the other subjects, because I'm spending so much time with my EK 1001 and TBR physics stuff that I need the spare time.

So I've decided physics is basically the devil. Definitely my worst subject. It's a really good thing I've been breezing though the other subjects, because I'm spending so much time with my EK 1001 and TBR physics stuff that I need the spare time.

To give you a little tip (or basically ppl know already), all you gotta follow is TBR physics and THATS it for Physical Science section.
Why? If you look at the MCAT guide on the official AAMC that illustrates all topics covered in MCAT, the TBR physics chapters EXACTLY follow ALL Topics listed IN ORDER. What more can we ask for?

You have plenty of time. Breeze through chapters, do probably 1/3 ~1/2 questions while you read each chapter. Later, when you are doing couple FL a week, use those Non-FL days to do cover your weak topics within physics + do rest TBR chapter questions.

By the way, 79 days left already.... Started d-100, covered chapters and did some verbal / day, I feel like i didn't do much...hopefully once i start FL and do concentrated reviews on weak topics I'll find a path...

Physics is also my worst subject...

I'm with you here , but i have found watching Chad's videos after doing a lecture helps me a lot if i don't get something i will rewatch that lesson then its practice practice practice

^^ Thanks guys.

Yup, just venting my frustrations. There had to be a weak subject after all and there isn't much I can do about it but practice, practice, practice. It's just obnoxious when every other area is coming easy. I've got no one to blame but myself--it's the one subject where I never really learned the material and just accepted my B+/A for the two semesters.

Well, back to it.

How are you guys managing the time to study?

Anyone fully committed to MCAT until March and studying morning time?
Anyone studying night time?
Anyone taking this as "full time" and studying 9 - 5?
How long do you study a day?

How are you guys managing the time to study?

Right now I'm on break until the 18th, so I'm studying pretty much every spare second I can until classes resume, since things are bound to slow down at that point. I'm basically hoping to barrel through all of the time eating content review before classes are back in full swing and I won't have adequate time. Practice passages and passage review are something I can do in an hour a day after that. Then FLs weekends starting late February and most of my spring break and ta-da--MCAT time.

Uck.

another week begins...
11 weeks until exam!

I'm spending this week and next week to finish up reviewing contents, and after that it will be 1~2 FL a week + specific topical review the rest week days.

Hey Guys!! Im signed up for the March date & im getting nervous :(
Here is my plan...
Get through all the EK material including 1001 questions
Start Kaplan class books (borrowed from a friend who took the class)
Pick up additional study material with the Princeton Review series
AAMC FLs everyweek in the final month or so.

Does that sound legit?
& how r u all managing with classes? Im taking a full load of 17 credits and working partime!

You are wasting your time reviewing from too many sources.
Review from one source and practice from many. Review the practice.

You are wasting your time reviewing from too many sources.
Review from one source and practice from many. Review the practice.

I agree with ridethecliche. Knowing the content only gets you so far for the MCAT. Practice, practice, and practice even more.

I am trying to wrap-up content/TBR Phase I/most of the workbook before school starts!! And then it's chugging passages and FL exams!!