The Official 3/24 2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor712

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm registered, 8am. Will be on the 4 month S2N study plan, all materials in hand. This is a retake for me.

Good luck all.

D712

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC Range: 25-30
AAMC Average: 27.3 (8.3P, 9.4V, 9.5B)
Predicted: ???
Actual: 28Q (10P, 9V, 9B)

Was hoping for a higher score, but I definitely can't be disappointed with what I got.

Last edited:
Some of the reactions here are making me sick....

I am baffled that almost all of you are 31+ and many of you are not screaming in joy? I am at a 33-36 on my AAMCs WITH lower verbals and would be ECSTATIC with a 31. I think you all are GROSSLY underestimating your stats with respect to competitiveness.

Also. Going to a "top 20 school" means jack. Ask anyone who is in medical school or any of the physicians you shadow... push yourself to learn the material WELL, rock the USMLEs, get a great residency and be the best you can be where you get in. You will only succeed if you take initiative to succeed.

Sometimes I love SDN but other times it makes me so sad that so many people have such materialistic goals, don't look at the big picture, and have such little faith in themselves.

Celebrate. You're done. You worked hard and accomplished great scores. Move on to the the next chapter of becoming excellent physicians. A better MCAT score isn't going to make you a better physician if you tried your best the first time.... spend the time you would restudying and retaking on something more meaningful.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was a January test taker, but I like creeping in these threads :p good job everyone!!

I hope so! After this semester, I expect to have an overall GPA of 3.7 − 3.71 and a science GPA of 3.67. With that and a 34T on the MCAT, do you really think I stand a chance to get into a top tier school? I would love anyone's opinion here! I'm hoping for any top 20 (or ideally a top 10) school. I have really amazing extracurrics and research (I have 1 publication and 5 other papers being submitted for publication, and I'm a first author on 2 of them), and I know my letter of recs will be great. Do I have a shot of getting into a top school? Or should I retake MCAT?

It's worth a shot. I've heard that top tier schools can kind of be a crap shoot so make sure to apply to some mid and low tiers too. In the end an acceptance is what really matters so I would advise not counting out lower ranked schools. I think you'll have a good chance at some excellent schools though!

averaged 36 (PS 12 V 11 BS13)

got a 32S. (PS 11 VR 11 BS 10)
with my stats that means no med school. who's on the retake train? :(

EDITED: added in my section stats

10/13/11/T (34T)
Do you think the 10 on verbal will ruin me?

Seriously ? So you guys want a 45T with a 15 on Verbal or something ? Before getting in med school, you guys should learn how to appreciate what kind of gift you have first ! Sorry, not trying to flame a war but some of the reactions here really annoy me.

This was a retake for me:
8/5/11: 29N (12ps,8vr,9bs)
AAMC average: 35 (range 30-37)
Predicted: 32
Actual: 36O (12ps,10 Vr,14bs)

Improvement is very possible!

Seriously ? So you guys want a 45T with a 15 on Verbal or something ? Before getting in med school, you guys should learn how to appreciate what kind of gift you have first !

Seriously, this is obnoxious. I have 2 friends who got in with 29 and one friend with 31. When people complain about 30s, it sort of freaks me out...

Seriously, this is obnoxious. I have 2 friends who got in with 29 and one friend with 31. When people complain about 30s, it sort of freaks me out...

I know tons of medical students with 3.5ish GPAs and 29 MCAT scores (ORM not URM) so guys if you scored > 30 you're in a good position stats wise. Keep in mind though stats are only a portion of an application there is so much more e.g ECs, LORs, Personal statements, secondaries, applying to the right amount of schools at the right time and most importantly communicating passion during an interview.

10 PS, 13 VR, 12 BS --> 35Q

Average AAMC was 34. I was predicting a 34, with a 12 in VR.

Very happy about the 35, but less excited about the distribution. I'm hoping that my grades in Physics and Chem will balance out the 10 in PS.

Eeek...

Undergrad gpa: 3.6
Score: 26Q
VR 9 ok
BS 10 ok
The kicker... PS: 07 not so okay...

Retake?

I've also got a BME masters and full-time job with clinical trial experience... I think I'm a unique applicant and the score isn't super terrible, but I don't know if I can do better and still apply by this fall...

This is just my opinion, but I think anyone who has a 32+ should just accept their score and move on, unless they got an 8 or lower in one section. If you have double digits in all subsections, that's awesome. If you have a 9 in one subsection, that's okay too...assuming the other two sections are double digits. For those 31 and below, it depends on the subsection. If you got a 7, I would suggest a retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eeek...

Undergrad gpa: 3.6
Score: 26Q
VR 9 ok
BS 10 ok
The kicker... PS: 07 not so okay...

Retake?

I've also got a BME masters and full-time job with clinical trial experience... I think I'm a unique applicant and the score isn't super terrible, but I don't know if I can do better and still apply by this fall...

If you're applying MD you most definitely need a retake you're far off from matriculant Stats. If you're applying DO you should be fine.

I'm not so happy about my score for one pretty obvious reason. I got a 31L. I am not an international student and English is my first language.

When I took practice tests I wrote out essays but I never looked at sample essays. When I took the test I didn't really flesh out my essays, I just wrote enough to cover the requirements and make my point, which I thought would be enough to give me a decent score, but apparently not. I also wasn't sure how to format the essay since the tab key is worthless. I just made a one line break in the passage in between each paragraph I wrote. So maybe some of that contributed to my low score.

I can't remember what score in writing is unacceptable for med schools and I have a feeling that an L is unacceptable.

Here is my breakdown:
PS: 8 (also not happy about this, I was getting 11s consistently with the occasional 12)
VL: 12
BS: 11

Obviously I'm not an idiot when it comes to reading or writing as evidenced by my verbal score, I just underestimated the writing section.

Someone please remind me what an acceptable writing score is and/or advise me about whether I should retake the test based on an L.

Thanks.

**** you all, I didnt even get a 20. have fun being doctors you bitches. I hate you all

34Q (PS: 10/Verbal: 13/ Bio:11). Had gotten between a 28 and a 40 on practice tests, and was hoping for a 36 but

A little disappointed with the Bio score and Writing, but not taking it again. So relieved and happy it's over! I think with a 3.9, great extracurriculars, 2 years work experience, and lots of research experience, I should be able to get in somewhere good? Will the weird distribution hurt (e.g much lower PS than verbal?)

CONGRATS EVERYONE!! YAY we're done!! :love:

Retailer here, scored a 28 in August last year. Ended up with a 32 this time around 9v/12ps/11bio and P writing. Just goes to show you retakes CAN be worth it.

AAMC practice: 31-34
Predicted: 30+
Actual: 32

Very happy, time to start thinking about application composition now! PM me if you are interested in what I did different for my 32 opposed to my 28. Thanks.

Retake:

July 28, 2011 - PS -11, VR -9, BS - 12 = 32P

March 24, 2012 - PS -13, VR - 8, BS- 13 = 34Q

Verbal killed me this time around. Will this hurt my application, as a reapplicant?

It would be great if we could remain kind on this forum! After all, it's instructive--sometimes even encouraging--to some of us to see how people are doing.

If we discourage people from sharing their success by replying with negative comments, we're harming the strength of the SDN community. And mostly, we're not speaking well of ourselves. Please be kind.

Retake:

July 28, 2011 - PS -11, VR -9, BS - 12 = 32P

March 24, 2012 - PS -13, VR - 8, BS- 13 = 34Q

Verbal killed me this time around. Will this hurt my application, as a reapplicant?

From what i've read on here, you should be okay with an 8 as long as you're not aiming for top schools. What do you think prevented you from getting in last cycle?

You guys are a bunch of whiney ass b.itches. I'm so glad I didn't take the test with you douches. Quit b.itching about 35s you fu.cking nerds

Post of the Year! :laugh:

Not thrilled but satisfied.

8PS 10VR 8BS 26M

I was hoping for a 30.
Good job everyone!

No offense, but how can you be satisfied with a 26M?

First time taking the mcat: 29P (9/2/11)

My re-take:
AAMC practice tests: 30-34 (ave. 32)
Predicted: 30 (if I was lucky)
Actual: 33O (3/24/12); 10 PS, 11 VR, 12 BS

Not happy with the O on the essay, but then again I didn't prepare for it at all this time around

Last edited:
AAMC Range: 31-35
Predicted: 26-30
Actual: 31

Very happy!!!! Thank you all for the support, good luck :)

No offense, but how can you be satisfied with a 26M?

People are on this thread complaining about 35's, but you think it is strange someone is satisfied with a 26M. Shouldn't you be questioning them about their absurd standards?

Oh and I forgot to mention, I am VERY happy about my 33O score, in case it sounded like I was complaining about my essay score. I wasn't expecting a stellar grade on the essay because I didn't put much effort into it and I feel lucky to even get what I did on the other sections.

Well done to everybody, I know we all worked hard to get where we are :highfive:

People are on this thread complaining about 35's, but you think it is strange someone is satisfied with a 26M. Shouldn't you be questioning them about their absurd standards?

It's always better to aim too high than to settle for something so low (It's in our nature to strive for greatness my brethren)...If you don't know why I am questioning you being "satisfied" with a 26M, then I don't know what to tell you :(.

Either way, if you are satisfied, then congrats on being done with the exam and not having to stress about it anymore :)

AAMC practice tests: 32 - 37 (Avg. 34)
Predicted: low 30s with a poor verbal
Actual: 34Q -- PS - 11, VR - 10, BS - 13

So grateful and so relieved.

nah man, 3.3 cGPA 3.5 sGPA 32S MCAT? I'm like not even DO competitive.

You're an idiot. Either that or SDN has severely warped your perspective.

You're extremely competitive for DO programs and probably have a better-than-decent shot at your state school(s).

All you people complaining "woe is me" about your 30+ scores need to get a clue.

This was a retake for me:
8/5/11: 29N (12ps,8vr,9bs)
AAMC average: 35 (range 30-37)
Predicted: 32
Actual: 36O (12ps,10 Vr,14bs)

Improvement is very possible!

Wooohooo, congrats on the retake and score improvement

Retailer here, scored a 28 in August last year. Ended up with a 32 this time around 9v/12ps/11bio and P writing. Just goes to show you retakes CAN be worth it.

AAMC practice: 31-34
Predicted: 30+
Actual: 32

Very happy, time to start thinking about application composition now! PM me if you are interested in what I did different for my 32 opposed to my 28. Thanks.

and same for you, nice job with the improvement.

Explain what you meant by poor verbal, because I'm scoring LOW.

I lost my steady pace during the verbal and ended up having 10min and 2 passages left, forcing me to triage the passages. I've found that it's better to dedicate 7 of those minutes to 1 passage and try to answer all Qs correctly, then use the last 3 min to basically guess on the other passage as opposed to applying a 5min, half-assed effort to both passages. I was worried this timing mishap would result in a poor verbal score of 7 or 8. My fear was that I'd end up with an ugly, poorly distributed 30 or 31...something like an 11/7/12. Anyways, that wasn't the case and I'm very happy with my score. I can not stress enough the importance of taking practice tests under realistic conditions, that's the only way I know of to effectively train yourself to deal with timing issues.

I lost my steady pace during the verbal and ended up having 10min and 2 passages left, forcing me to triage the passages. I've found that it's better to dedicate 7 of those minutes to 1 passage and try to answer all Qs correctly, then use the last 3 min to basically guess on the other passage as opposed to applying a 5min, half-assed effort to both passages. I was worried this timing mishap would result in a poor verbal score of 7 or 8. My fear was that I'd end up with an ugly, poorly distributed 30 or 31...something like an 11/7/12. Anyways, that wasn't the case and I'm very happy with my score. I can not stress enough the importance of taking practice tests under realistic conditions, that's the only way I know of to effectively train yourself to deal with timing issues.

Great to hear your story. I took my test on 4-13 and I had a similar situation. I had about 5 minutes left on my 7th passage. Skimmed the beginning of each paragraph and then made educated guesses on the questions. Luckily I put a lot of work into verbal toward the end of my studies and I pulled off an 11 and a 13 on AAMC 10 and 11 respectively. I know people have this happen all the time (rushed at the end of verbal) but I am still nervous about my score. I felt really good about the first 6 passages so I hope the 7th didn't hurt me too badly. Thanks for sharing that, makes me feel better.

First of all I would like to congratulate everyone here on your hard work! You guys deserved it!

But I really cannot believe some people are actually complaining about 30+ MCAT scores. Seriously? Are you guys aware how many people would LOVE to get your scores? C'mon.

Was wondering if people who took the 3/24 could post their aamc 10 and 11 scores and if they were accurate in determining your Mcat

Was wondering if people who took the 3/24 could post their aamc 10 and 11 scores and if they were accurate in determining your Mcat

Actual- 9/9/10 (28)

AAMC8- 10/8/10 (28)
AAMC9-10/8/12 (30)
AAMC10- 9/9/11 (29)
AAMC11- 9/11/10 (30)

I took them in that order.

AAMC 10 : 14/14/10
AAMC 11: didn't take
Average for all: 38+
Actual: 36 (this is a retake, first attempt last year same date: 30)

Thanks a lot. No reason to brag though, my VR is a bit low (9). Was 6 the first time. So I have improved. That's what matters...

AAMC10: BS 13, VB 11, PS 13 (Overall: 37)
I didn't take the AAMC11 practice test.
My actual was BS 11, VB 10, PS 13. (Overall: 34)

I actually didn't take many practice tests while I was studying. I spent more time reviewing material than practicing, which was not a wise decision. To be honest, the AAMC tests are MUCH easier than the real thing, as odd as that sounds. I do think they post deceivingly easy tests, but that might just be me. Even then, it's still good to do practice.
For those of you who were unable to register in a test center in your city or state, be careful when you're picking a hotel. I had to stay in a hotel the night before my MCAT to be closer to my test center, and since there was a night club right next to the hotel, there was so much noise that I ended up getting a headache. Not a good experience, and I think I could have done better had that not happened. Not that med schools would care, so I can't really tell them that. But if you have to stay in a hotel to be near your test center, do look up reviews of that hotel; I did that too but unfortunately, no one had mentioned a similar experience so there was no way for me to know. -.-
Last advice, another obvious one but really important, make sure you do your best to stay calm during the actual test. I had 5 minutes left for the last passage on my verbal and really freaked out. I probably could have done better by staying calm and being rational.

But I'm still happy with my score. :) I really thought I had done worse.