The Official 4/26/13 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clothcut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In lieu of the other threads popping up, I thought it'd be good for those of us taking the test to identify ourselves :thumbup:

I'm not planning on following a rigid study schedule until January, but I think I'm going to watch a single video off of wikipremed daily to lightly review.

Good luck to everyone... we will crush this exam..

Members don't see this ad.

Just realized that I have yet to provide this.

AAMC 3: 26 (8/9/9)
AAMC 4: 28 (8/10/10)
AAMC 5: 26 (6/10/10)
AAMC 7: 28 (8/10/10)
AAMC 8: 28 (8/10/10)
AAMC 9: 30 (9/11/10)
AAMC 10: 30 (10/10/10)
AAMC 11: 26 (7/11/8) (burn out at last minute?..ugh)
AAMC average: 28

Post test prediction: 28 (7/11/10)
Actual: 24 (7/9/8)

4 points below my avg...wtf

Only scored that low on verbal and bio once during practice and I felt really solid about both of these sections post test. Late August retake planned. Any suggestions for practice test material since I have done ALL of AAMC? Looking at the spinach dip method.

Are you going to go ahead and apply then and just indicate a retake date?

Thats the plan. And yes, the 4/26 thread has been legendary! You should join us on the 8/16 thread, its a pretty supportive group over there :)

Congrats osprey, Alnafis, gandalf, back and the rest who achieved their goal. I didn't mean to miss anyone but these felt like the people I spoke to most. I got a 29 ( 6 pt increase from last year) with a 9-9-11. I wish I would've hit 30, but I guess it could've been worse since the guidebook said only 5 % of retakers with my score improved by 6. I hope some SUNY interviews me although my GPA is a little low because I feel I can wow them with that. I will be applying DO and some reach MD schools. A lot of it is what you put into it (in med school) so don't let this test get you down. To those who didnt do as well as you had hoped, if I can improve, so can you. I guarantee you that and I'm sure you will, tanner and Grady specifically. Good luck all!

Thanks a lot man, I am legitimately happy for all you guys who have had great success. I'll be interested to see how the app season goes for everyone here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats the plan. And yes, the 4/26 thread has been legendary! You should join us on the 8/16 thread, its a pretty supportive group over there :)

Maybe. That's my bday so that would be cool. Looking for a 1pm test date this time around. Im a night shift person and cant start thinking until afternoon.

I need a few days to lick my wounds, collect my thoughts and pray. I know I'm not giving up but need to hear back from a few people I trust about what my next steps should be and when I should shoot for a retake. I have been completely out of the material since test day.

Maybe. That's my bday so that would be cool. Looking for a 1pm test date this time around. Im a night shift person and cant start thinking until afternoon.

I need a few days to lick my wounds, collect my thoughts and pray. I know I'm not giving up but need to hear back from a few people I trust about what my next steps should be and when I should shoot for a retake. I have been completely out of the material since test day.

Yeah I totally understand. It was hard picking up my study books right after sitting for the exam. btw is it weird that because of your avatar, I read all of your posts in Conan's voice?

Got the "workingman's score": 11/11/11///33 (ie the mean matriculant score for residents of my state).

Not pretty but I'm hoping it gets the job done.

On one level it's a great disappointment - 2 points below my AAMC average, and I'd actually hoped for/felt capable of some upside above my average, but it's a score that shouldn't close too many doors with a well-rounded application.

It stings, though - I was convinced I murdered that PS section. I had multiple 13's, a 14, and a 15 on FL's, and I felt incredible about my PS performance. To fall back to an 11 after leaving the test feeling like that was an unwelcome surprise.

I also felt good on VR, but 11-15 scaled is an incredibly tight raw range in that section. For kicks, look at the percentage results. An 11 is an 83%tile to a 95%tile!

Pre-test average: 35
Post test guess: 13/13/10///36
Actual: 11/11/11///33

PS - I have become a FIRM believer in the "your score will be what you get on AAMC 10" line that I've often seen tossed around SDN.

For me, the Princeton Review books seemed to be most helpful in that it taught me how to think, rather than just feeding me information (especially for BS). I used Princeton Review books this second time around, and it really helped me up my score.

For me, the Princeton Review books seemed to be most helpful in that it taught me how to think, rather than just feeding me information (especially for BS). I used Princeton Review books this second time around, and it really helped me up my score.

I thought they were too long.

i used TPR the first time around
TBR the second time around

Ended up with a 39 overall (15BS, 12VR, 12, PS). My AAMC average was around 32-33 with one 34. I am so surprised and happy with this!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you follow SN2ed? If so, was there anything different that you did that you would recommend?

Yes I did. Stayed pretty much within the timeline but I condensed the first month into two weeks to create a bigger buffer.

if youre not holding a job or you are staying with the rents, then you should be up at 8 and studying at 10-3PM take a break and get back to it from 6-9.

dont go out, party, drink.
Study, eat, sleep, workout, repeat.

Haven't been on the forum since posting my score (work+Giants game), but I just went through the last few pages, and I wanted to commend everyone. Not just for the good scores, which abound, but for truly caring about the niche.Keep plodding away! Next step, AMCAS

Averaged 31 on the practice AAMC tests (about 11P/10V/10B) but ended up with a 37 on the actual thing (12P/11V/14B)! Relieved to be done with this test

Reactions: 1 user
I'm very sorry for your disappointment. Last year, I was more disappointed when I received 20, so don't beat yourself too hard. For some of us, it takes more than one try to get it done with. At least now you have an idea of how the real thing looks like. On the bright side, we are still early in the application season, so if you retake in August, and score well, you will definitely have a good shot at getting interviews. Your score would have been acceptable if you didn't score 6 on the BS section, but you could still submit your application with the intention of retaking. Like that, you could have your application verified and ready once you get back your retake score. Don't lose hope. You are only two points away from the average for DO. I was able to improve my score by 8 points, so improving yours by 2 shouldn't be too hard. Just focus your strength now on bio. Do the TPRH SW and ICC books and read some pubmed articles and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Hey Ibn... do you think that is true? I am signed up to retake July 25th... I am nervous about work and applications... I feel that I am having a lot thrown on top of me right now and I haven;t been focusing on MCAT... i got a 27 (9PS/8VR/10BS)... do you think I could reschedule for early/mid-August and still have a decent shot or just go for the July 25th retake? I really want to get my 34+.... I would be happy with a 31 though... :) I am really trying to get into University of Maryland... which is competitive as heck... but I will be happy with a local DO school....

Thanks... and congratulations on your 28!!!! :) I may be hitting you up with physics questions!!! :)

Hey all! Long time lurker.

I got a 32 which is nice, but it's a mixed bag:

7PS, 13VR, 12BS

The 13 in VR blew me away! I felt good about that section, but that doesn't mean much, so to see that 13 was beyond awesome. The 12 in BS is pleasing as well. I knew I messed up PS, but I was surprised with just how badly I did. Several things went wrong during that section that are not worth getting into, but I did not throw up my hands, or cry, or crumble. Clearly, I forged on and managed to do very well on the rest of the exam. So, I feel good about that fact. I am so unsure of whether or not to retake. My VR is great and my BS is competitive for the schools I want to apply to (MD schools). My sgpa is 3.9 cumgpa is 3.8 or higher (hard to say because of two schools to compute, but it's high). I also have great Letters (5 of them), lots of experience (shadowing, 200 hrs hospital volunteering, solid work history). That being said, I am very hesitant about retaking a 32 with strong VR and BS scores. The PS score is an anomaly, though I did find PS hard. I would say if certain things had gone "right" on the exam I could have gotten a 9 or maybe a 10 so it's not that I think I was in capable of a 12 on this PS or anything, but I certainly can do better than a 7! I just don't think I want to retake, though. If my VR was 7 the answer would be yes, but PS? Not so much actually. I think the rest of my application including a strong gpa might help me on this one. Any thoughts? Please be kind.

Last edited:
Your 24 is the best 24 you could have wished for (balanced). Your GPA's combined with your mcat score should get you some love in the DO world. Good luck!

Thanks, I am hoping that it work out for me. I am so tired of this standardized exam: standardized exam is my weakest point in an kind of exam.

Congrats to everyone that did great, and best of luck to everyone that is retaking.

Hey everyone!

Long time lurker and finally decided to post. . . Looking for some advice. I took the MCAT back in August of 2012 and received a 27 (10V/08PS/09BS) and just received a 28 on April 26 (09V/10PS/09BS). I didn't make the smartest decision and tried to study during my final semester of undergrad AND during finals week :( I already have my AMCAS complete and am at the beginning of my gap year. I want to apply this year to MD, but I honestly don't know if taking the MCAT again will be the best thing because it will postpone my application and be considered incomplete at many schools until they receive the new score. I have a 3.9 GPA, many extracurriculars including a traveling collegiate choir for 3 years, research experience, TA, tutor, student worker, shadowing, volunteering clubs, etc. Any suggestions? I've always wanted MD, so DO is not an option.

Hey Ibn... do you think that is true? I am signed up to retake July 25th... I am nervous about work and applications... I feel that I am having a lot thrown on top of me right now and I haven;t been focusing on MCAT... i got a 27 (9PS/8VR/10BS)... do you think I could reschedule for early/mid-August and still have a decent shot or just go for the July 25th retake? I really want to get my 34+.... I would be happy with a 31 though... :) I am really trying to get into University of Maryland... which is competitive as heck... but I will be happy with a local DO school....

Thanks... and congratulations on your 28!!!! :) I may be hitting you up with physics questions!!! :)
Tinylilron.

With hard work, it is possible to hold a job and do well on the MCAT. I got a 36 (11VR 12PS 13BS). My avg. AAMC was around a 32. The first time I took a FL practice test, I bombed it (22). I'm a non-trad applicant and its been around 8-10 years since I took my pre-req classes, though I have recently taken several upper division bio classes.

I worked 30-40 hours a week while studying. For the 4 months prior to the test, I was up at 5am every morning to study before work. I studied almost every lunch break. I also studied almost every weekend. I read and took notes on every page of TPR review series books (all subjects). My main book for practice problems was TPR hyperlearning science workbook and I did every problem in it. I also used EK 1001 chemistry, EK 1001 Physics, EK 101 passages in MCAT VR, and again did every problem in all of those. It's tough, but it is possible!

A good friend of mine took the MCAT last summer and we were both members of a full-time research program (Amgen, if anyone's heard of it). He was in lab at least 9-5 everyday and he took it at the end of the summer and got a 40. I'm doing something similar this summer, except I'll be part time in the lab, working 9-12, 4 days a week. But it's possible. In his words, "You gotta want it as bad as you want to breathe"

I believe him.

What are people's thoughts about scores vs. balance among the sections? I'm super pleased with my 33, but i'm a bit skewed with 12PS 10VS 11BS.. i.e I know that a 35 is great, but not at the expense of getting a 15/15/5 on one of the sections!

What are people's thoughts about scores vs. balance among the sections? I'm super pleased with my 33, but i'm a bit skewed with 12PS 10VS 11BS.. i.e I know that a 35 is great, but not at the expense of getting a 15/15/5 on one of the sections!

Your score is not skewed. Everything is above a 10 so quit worrying

That score is very good. It's not unbalanced when you have 10+ on every section.

Hey everyone!

Long time lurker and finally decided to post. . . Looking for some advice. I took the MCAT back in August of 2012 and received a 27 (10V/08PS/09BS) and just received a 28 on April 26 (09V/10PS/09BS). I didn't make the smartest decision and tried to study during my final semester of undergrad AND during finals week :( I already have my AMCAS complete and am at the beginning of my gap year. I want to apply this year to MD, but I honestly don't know if taking the MCAT again will be the best thing because it will postpone my application and be considered incomplete at many schools until they receive the new score. I have a 3.9 GPA, many extracurriculars including a traveling collegiate choir for 3 years, research experience, TA, tutor, student worker, shadowing, volunteering clubs, etc. Any suggestions? I've always wanted MD, so DO is not an option.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

They weren't saying their own score was unbalanced, they were using a confusing word choice ("skewed") and adding completely unnecessary information (their score) to say that a 35 composite score sounds great to them, but that's because their mindset is "skewed" due to their perfectly balanced score, whereas a 15/15/5 wouldn't look so good.

It was really poorly written and this explanation isn't much better.

The MCAT rescoring option is a suckers bet right...........I just hate that they even give you that option.

Hi all,
I hope that you can provide me with some advice as I am feeling very lost about things right now. I need advice as to whether I should retake the exam or not.

I go to a top 45 undergraduate school and have a 3.69 GPA. I originally got a 21 on the MCAT (was not prepared) and on my April retake got a 26. While I understand that this score is on the low end, I dont know whether I should retake or not. Aside from my MCAT score, I have the following credentials:

Clinical Research: Have one publication from this (I am Senior Author) and am awaiting a response on 2 other manuscripts that I have submitted. Also, I did more research the following year at another hospital

Lab research: past year at a very esteemed hospital in Boston. Before then, research at my UG school

Have a clinical research position locked up for next year.

Basically what I am trying to say is that I feel that I have excellent medical experience and credentials aside from my MCAT. I am scheduled for a MCAT retake on 7/2 but do not know whether I should take it or not, given that this will delay my application verification and also am nervous if I dont go up in score.

Please, PLEASE provide me with some feedback. Thank you all and congrats to those who did well on the 4/26 exam. Thanks

Please

A good friend of mine took the MCAT last summer and we were both members of a full-time research program (Amgen, if anyone's heard of it). He was in lab at least 9-5 everyday and he took it at the end of the summer and got a 40. I'm doing something similar this summer, except I'll be part time in the lab, working 9-12, 4 days a week. But it's possible. In his words, "You gotta want it as bad as you want to breathe"

I believe him.

I was working a 9-5 job all while I was studying for the MCAT. I just studied over 5 months instead of the usual 3/4. 2 hours a night, and it meant I didn't ever truly get burnt out on material. I would highly recommend taking longer with less each day as opposed to more hours each day.

Partially because I hoped that I would have done a little better. Partially due to my advisors advice of taking it in April so I can apply early, get secondaries out and then update my app with my new score when I retake. If I waited until Sept to apply that would be far too late for comfort.

I'm in the exact same boat as you are, except maybe 4 feet under.
I made a 20 on this MCAT. I'm so depressed. Reading about ppl's stories of improving their scores with hard work gives me hope though. If I'm truly honest with myself, I studied for maybe 2 weeks, and did 1 week of AAMC tests where my scores when from 17 to 24. Within a week.
In retrospect, obviously with more time, I could've have perhaps improved my scores significantly. I mean that 7 point improvement was in a week of cramming and content reviewing. However I went ahead and took the April MCAT anyway because I needed a score to put on my applications. I did not expect a 20 of all things. I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

But now I'm in that phase where I'm incredibly determined to ace the next one (retaking 8/3). I can do it. Although I do work 27 hours a week, and I'm taking a class in Summer I (I'm going into my senior year in UG, 20 y.o, applying this cycle in TX, 3.86 GPA, 670+ of ER scribing experience), I'm confident I can do it.

Sort of. Does anyone know of ppl who have re-submitted their scores late in the application cycle and received an admission? I'm coming to terms with the idea of reapplying.

Congrats to everyone who is happy with their scores. I'm sure you worked much MUCH harder than I did, and I'm looking to emulate you all this coming August. Wish me luck and if you have tips or experienced a similar circumstance, PM with words of comfort T_T

Last edited:

Your scores as is don't seem very competitive even for the lower-end MD schools. I think you should consider applying to a DO school. You could try studying more and see what kind of practice test scores you get. If you consistently get 30+'s I'd consider a re-take.

Thanks bud. I know I can do better. Maybe it was nerves maybe it was lack of prep. Idk. I have to think I can improve because I got a 30 on AAMC 9 & 10. Something went wrong and I will redeem myself.

To those who achieved their goals...I hate you. lol...I'm jk. I'm really excited for you and hope to work with some of you some day. 4/26 group has been epic and I'm sad that I will have to join another thread soon. I wanted to move through with you guys.

Or maybe, as you said earlier, the AAMC could have intentionally given you a bad score..?

Sorry for my late response, but I just got a chance to respond.

Since you are fine with DO, I suggest you submit your AACOMAS as early as possible (aka next week). You are golden as is for all DO programs. Meanwhile, study hard for the retake, and yes, you should postpone your test. This should be your last attempt at it, so make it count. If you end up scoring 34+, combined with your GPA, you should have some luck with MD schools. If you don't score as good as you hoped, or if you end up being rejected, you still have the DO application in progress. In other words, make sure you get into any medical school this cycle.

Again, don't rush the MCAT. It's like having a baby. Do it when you are ready.

Is Gandalf still around? It's ridiculous but I can't calculate my own GPA due to all the different schools I have grades from, different credit hours, etc., so does anyone know if TMDSAS and AMCAS let you know what your GPA is at some point during/after submitting your application?

Not related to the MCAT but this thread is the best place to go for answers...

Sorry for my late response, but I just got a chance to respond.

Since you are fine with DO, I suggest you submit your AACOMAS as early as possible (aka next week). You are golden as is for all DO programs. Meanwhile, study hard for the retake, and yes, you should postpone your test. This should be your last attempt at it, so make it count. If you end up scoring 34+, combined with your GPA, you should have some luck with MD schools. If you don't score as good as you hoped, or if you end up being rejected, you still have the DO application in progress. In other words, make sure you get into any medical school this cycle.

Again, don't rush the MCAT. It's like having a baby. Do it when you are ready.
I rushed my MCAT and took it when we all did, but I know I would have performed much better had I postponed a month or so and crunched more problems.

Hindsight is 20/20. If I had it all to do again, I would have spent the vast majority of time working problems versus watching videos and content review.

Is Gandalf still around? It's ridiculous but I can't calculate my own GPA due to all the different schools I have grades from, different credit hours, etc., so does anyone know if TMDSAS and AMCAS let you know what your GPA is at some point during/after submitting your application?

Not related to the MCAT but this thread is the best place to go for answers...

I'm always around! :D

TMDSAS will calculate your GPA in a variety of ways AFTER you submit your application.

Check out my WAMC thread to see all the kinds of GPA they show you.

:) 42!!!

VR:13, PS: 14, BS:15

My average on the AAMC practice exams was 36.25 (range: 33-39)

I may or may not have jumped up and down and cried at work...so unprofessional, but I don't even care.

If I had it all to do again, I would have spent the vast majority of time working problems versus watching videos and content review.

That's what I'm doing for my retake. No content review unless I discover its a weak point in my practice questions. I started working some passages last night and to my surprise haven't forgotten much. Same issues still exist. I'm slow. I can walk the marathon, I just can't run it.

:) 42!!!

VR:13, PS: 14, BS:15

My average on the AAMC practice exams was 36.25 (range: 33-39)

I may or may not have jumped up and down and cried at work...so unprofessional, but I don't even care.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

I waited almost 7 hours after the scores were posted to fly back and see it with my parents - but it was worth it!!

AAMC Practice Test Scores (PS/VR/BS)
AAMC 3: 10/12/8 - 30
AAMC 5: 10/11/8 - 29
AAMC 7: 10/10/10 - 30
AAMC 9: 11/10/11 - 32
AAMC 8: 11/13/14 - 38
AAMC 10: 12/10/12 - 34

Before I took 8 or 10 I hadn't done much of any content review. I essentially wasted all those AAMC's which made me nervous :( But I had access to Kaplan and took 4 tests scoring, 34, 36, 39, and 39 much after my content review. I was really nervous because everyone on here talked about how the Kaplan FLs were inflated (which I agreed with, but tried to convince myself of otherwise).

I left the real thing feeling great about verbal, fine about PS and worried about BS. I really wanted above a 35, and my gut feelings were the opposite of the real thing.

Actual MCAT: 12/10/15 - 37

I have no idea what happened on verbal - but with a 15 in bio, I couldn't care less. I'm ecstatic about my score - congrats to everyone who reached their goals!!

I waited almost 7 hours after the scores were posted to fly back and see it with my parents - but it was worth it!!

AAMC Practice Test Scores (PS/VR/BS)
AAMC 3: 10/12/8 - 30
AAMC 5: 10/11/8 - 29
AAMC 7: 10/10/10 - 30
AAMC 9: 11/10/11 - 32
AAMC 8: 11/13/14 - 38
AAMC 10: 12/10/12 - 34

Before I took 8 or 10 I hadn't done much of any content review. I essentially wasted all those AAMC's which made me nervous :( But I had access to Kaplan and took 4 tests scoring, 34, 36, 39, and 39 much after my content review. I was really nervous because everyone on here talked about how the Kaplan FLs were inflated (which I agreed with, but tried to convince myself of otherwise).

I left the real thing feeling great about verbal, fine about PS and worried about BS. I really wanted above a 35, and my gut feelings were the opposite of the real thing.

Actual MCAT: 12/10/15 - 37

I have no idea what happened on verbal - but with a 15 in bio, I couldn't care less. I'm ecstatic about my score - congrats to everyone who reached their goals!!

Dang 15 in bio, congrats! What was your trick to tackle that section?

I took the 4/26 MCAT and I plan on retaking the MCAT again. I have a question if you guys can help me with it please. If I submit my AMCAS and TMDSAS early by next week and indicate a retake, will my application be on hold pending the new MCAT score or will i be able to still receive secondaries or interview invites with my old MCAT scores?

Last edited:
Dang 15 in bio, congrats! What was your trick to tackle that section?

Honestly it was a ton of content review, which I think most people would avise against...I read my princeton review bio book 2.5 times and the kaplan one once. And I'm almost 100% sure that most of the one really hard orgo passage we had had to be experimental. But the most helpful thing I did was go through my old FL's - not just the questions I got wrong, but EVERY question and passage. In terms of test taking this helped me the most.

Honestly it was a ton of content review, which I think most people would avise against...I read my princeton review bio book 2.5 times and the kaplan one once. And I'm almost 100% sure that most of the one really hard orgo passage we had had to be experimental. But the most helpful thing I did was go through my old FL's - not just the questions I got wrong, but EVERY question and passage. In terms of test taking this helped me the most.

How many questions in BS and PS did you know you definitely got wrong after the test? From what you remembered.