The Official 4/5/12 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's kind of already a thread, but this is the official one ;)

I'm registered at 1PM (I think the only time offered on 4/5?) and this is a retake for me.

Using a variation of SN2ed's 3 month schedule (109 days) and started studying a few days ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Cool, was wondering when someone will start this post, I was about to start it myself but I guess you beat me to it. I signed up yesterday. I plan on studying for biology content review by using first TPR Hyperlearning Biology book and EK biology book. For Organic Chemistry content review I plan on useing only TBR Organic chemistry book. For Physic and chemistry content review I first plan on using TPR Hyperlearning books and then skim through TBR book for quick problem solving strategies. After I am done with a lecture in a specific subject I intend to complete all the problems in the EK 1001 book for that corresponding lecture and then move on to TPR Hyperlearning Science workbook and do the passages for that corresponding lecture and then finally end off practicing for that lecture using TBR passages for that corresponding lecture. After all this Practice I intend to do the full length AAMC Exams. I intend to finish all this in 3 months studying at least 12 hours a day, and no break days. I am also working full time in a lab. What about you?

Last edited:
1 pm as well.

i've got BR, TPR, and Kaplan ready to go. Not doing a Kaplan/Princeton. Doing a modification of SN2 schedule with online tutoring to clear up questions/get advice. First go around... we'll see what happens!

1 pm as well.

i've got BR, TPR, and Kaplan ready to go. Not doing a Kaplan/Princeton. Doing a modification of SN2 schedule with online tutoring to clear up questions/get advice. First go around... we'll see what happens!

Online tutoring? Where?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! Me too :)
Using SN2ed's 3months as well, but spread it out over almost 4months because I'll get a bit busy here and there.

Online tutoring? Where?

I got referred to an online prep thing. i had a few reservations about doing it at first, but they were offering free mcat and med school consultations. and cause their instructors are med students that were former kaplan/princeton and did well on the mcat, i figured it was worth a shot. that... and they were charging a lot less and i couldnt afford kaplan/princeton. polaristestprep.com-- i think they're still doing the free consultation thing.

you taking the april fifth test too?

I'm signed up for this date as well. It's in exactly 99 days. :eek: I am starting the SN2ed schedule tonight. I tried studying my own way but it didn't work out, so I figure this will be better.

I got referred to an online prep thing. i had a few reservations about doing it at first, but they were offering free mcat and med school consultations. and cause their instructors are med students that were former kaplan/princeton and did well on the mcat, i figured it was worth a shot. that... and they were charging a lot less and i couldnt afford kaplan/princeton. polaristestprep.com-- i think they're still doing the free consultation thing.

you taking the april fifth test too?

Yup, April 5 at 1PM!

I just re-scheduled from Jan 28th to Apr 5th. I was about a week behind on the EK schedule and just not feeling like I'm confident enough yet. This will be my retake after my last September a** kicking in Bio.

Now trying to mentally prepare myself to stay focused for another 3 months. Wish they had one late Feb or early March.

Retaker here as well. I'm just finalizing my modified SN2ed schedule today and I'm deciding what to use-- I think I bought too much materials. How does this sound guys?

Bio: start with TPR and later do a quick review with EK + TPR science workbook
Physics: TPR + TPR science workbook (should I use NOVA as well?)
GChem: BR + TPR science workbook
Ochem: BR + TPR science workbook

Now, for O/G Chems I'm debating whether or not I should read from BR or TPR. I mean, the pro for using BR is their passage but the con is it's too long...TPR seems to make it simpler (i dunno...). I just don't want to regret not using BR and waste it (shipping fee was over $100) but at the same time, I am constraint with time as being a FT student with thesis and all those other 'stuff' I do...

Any thoughts?

Retaker here as well. I'm just finalizing my modified SN2ed schedule today and I'm deciding what to use-- I think I bought too much materials. How does this sound guys?

Bio: start with TPR and later do a quick review with EK + TPR science workbook
Physics: TPR + TPR science workbook (should I use NOVA as well?)
GChem: BR + TPR science workbook
Ochem: BR + TPR science workbook

Now, for O/G Chems I'm debating whether or not I should read from BR or TPR. I mean, the pro for using BR is their passage but the con is it's too long...TPR seems to make it simpler (i dunno...). I just don't want to regret not using BR and waste it (shipping fee was over $100) but at the same time, I am constraint with time as being a FT student with thesis and all those other 'stuff' I do...

Any thoughts?

For Bio, I agree TPR is better. It's hard to follow along with BR because it is too detailed. The passages, though, for BR, are very similar to those that were on the MCAT. I think there's a lot of merit to practicing on BR passages. Personally, I think that BR is a huge upgrade over PR physics. Their passages are harder and their material is easier to understand and apply.

I've found EK to be fine for bio so far. I think the only things I've got left to learn/review are physio, and I took A&P 1 last semester and will be taking A&P2 this semester.. Too bad the excretory part of my physio class starts on 4/13, the week after MCAT.

How is everyone doing?

I'm doing okay. I'm finishing up chapter 5 of every subject so I guess a bit more than halfway through. It's tough with school though. I'm not really sure how I can improve my Verbal. I averaged a 10 on the AAMC practices and received a 9 on the actual. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
ugh not on track. i start a once/week mcat review course next week so that should help a little..

For Bio, I agree TPR is better. It's hard to follow along with BR because it is too detailed. The passages, though, for BR, are very similar to those that were on the MCAT. I think there's a lot of merit to practicing on BR passages. Personally, I think that BR is a huge upgrade over PR physics. Their passages are harder and their material is easier to understand and apply.

Count me in for the 4/5 exam too :X And I've been trying to go through TBR Bio but it's kicking my butt...there's SO much detail.

Are any of you working/taking classes while you study? How do you stay focused? I'm having a hard time studying before/after work. :confused:

Last edited:
I study in the mornings for about 3 hours, then go to work. If I feel like putting in some time after I will, if not I don't bother because it just causes stress and gains nothing. I will do something like preview assignments or a quick tutorial online (youtube). From what I've read TBR Bio content is very detailed...almost too much, but the passages are what are useful.

Are we all too busy studying to post in this thread anymore? lol
Just took my first practice exam, since I'm nearly halfway through my studies. Got 9/8/9 (26). It's what I expected but different scores.

My final goal is a 36............ We'll see how that goes XD

I'm about halfway through the content (should be finished at the end of february) and don't plan on taking a practice aamc test until the first week of march where in march i'll strictly take and review practice exams and passages. I already know that I have a glaring weakness in gen chem as i'm getting murdered by tbr practice passages but 26 seems like a good starting point for only being halfway through the material. I would assume after you've covered all the content that should definitely put you over 30. A little over two months left...def. time to buckle down

How are you guys doing practice passages?

I'm taking my test on 4/13 and I'll be done content and 1/3 passages by the end of next week.

To do all the remaining passages (about 310 of them) in the next two months while reviewing them and doing practice exams and verbal.

Probably going to try to do 5 passages from every chapter in 4 weeks, then do the last 3 in the last 3 weeks.

What is everyone else's plan?

How are you guys doing practice passages?
I'm taking my test on 4/13 and I'll be done content and 1/3 passages by the end of next week.What is everyone else's plan?

I'm so encouraged to see so many re-testers on this thread! It makes me feel like I'm part of a big re-testing family, lol.

I work crazy hours, so I'm just trying to fit in studying whenever I can. I'm "late" to the study party (holding out hope for interviews this cycle) so I just started last week. I'm definitely studying weekend heavily, though and am very very determined. 35+ or bust, baby.

I'm ExamKrackering and I picked up some old paper practice tests from a garage sale (yay thriftiness). I think I'm going to purchase Berkley Review tests when the test gets closer, but you can only buy them 45 days in advance, so I need to wait a few more weeks. I've taken all the AAMC tests, so I'm looking for creative alternatives for practice problems, lol.

I'm chunking by test subject: PS first and extensively( Physics and Gen Chem are my weaknesses), then BS (I'm good on the Bio 'cause I teach it,but I'm out of practice with o-chem!), and Verbal I am fortunate enough to consider a strength.
Yay Friday night studying. :rolleyes: What is everyone else's plan of attack?

Last edited:
Are we all too busy studying to post in this thread anymore? lol
Just took my first practice exam, since I'm nearly halfway through my studies. Got 9/8/9 (26). It's what I expected but different scores.

My final goal is a 36............ We'll see how that goes XD

P.S. Hello Pokemon study buddy. ;)

I'm so encouraged to see so many re-testers on this thread! It makes me feel like I'm part of a big re-testing family, lol.

I work crazy hours, so I'm just trying to fit in studying whenever I can. I'm "late" to the study party (holding out hope for interviews this cycle) so I just started last week. I'm definitely studying weekend heavily, though and am very very determined. 35+ or bust, baby.

I'm ExamKrackering and I picked up some old paper practice tests from a garage sale (yay thriftiness). I think I'm going to purchase Berkley Review tests when the test gets closer, but you can only buy them 45 days in advance, so I need to wait a few more weeks. I've taken all the AAMC tests, so I'm looking for creative alternatives for practice problems, lol.

I'm chunking by test subject: PS first and extensively( Physics and Gen Chem are my weaknesses), then BS (I'm good on the Bio 'cause I teach it,but I'm out of practice with o-chem!), and Verbal I am fortunate enough to consider a strength.
Yay Friday night studying. :rolleyes: What is everyone else's plan of attack?

Glad to see another retaker! I've purchased the BR practice tests but haven't gotten access to them yet. If you indicate to them that you will be wanting to activate your tests on a certain date, they will allow you to do so. I am the same way for phys sci and bio (TA) but Verbal is a weakness for me...after averaging a 10.5 to 11 on the practice exams, I received a 9 on the real thing. I've been using the BR Verbal practice and it is much easier than the real thing. I've already finished the 101 from the September test, which was very similar and the PR Hyperlearning Wkbk (also similar). Anyone have any suggestions as to which Verbal material is worth purchasing?

Glad to see another retaker! I've purchased the BR practice tests but haven't gotten access to them yet. If you indicate to them that you will be wanting to activate your tests on a certain date, they will allow you to do so. I am the same way for phys sci and bio (TA) but Verbal is a weakness for me...after averaging a 10.5 to 11 on the practice exams, I received a 9 on the real thing. I've been using the BR Verbal practice and it is much easier than the real thing. I've already finished the 101 from the September test, which was very similar and the PR Hyperlearning Wkbk (also similar). Anyone have any suggestions as to which Verbal material is worth purchasing?

That's good to know, thanks! I have Orgo Blues today. Can't seem to focus. :mad: Going to take an SDN break and then hit the bonds again... lol.

How's everyone's studying going? I finishing up the content for a second time (used BR this time instead of TPR) and starting practice tests next Sunday (BR 1-7 & retaking AAMC 7-11). Anyone starting practice tests soon or already started?

How's everyone's studying going? I finishing up the content for a second time (used BR this time instead of TPR) and starting practice tests next Sunday (BR 1-7 & retaking AAMC 7-11). Anyone starting practice tests soon or already started?

I don't want to start too early - I'll probably start 4 weeks before the test date (so I guess that means I'll be starting practice exams in 2-3 weeks?) If you're already done with content though, by all means, start!

Hey guys. I will be taking it then as well. On and off studying since summer but not during fall sem. Chickened out of it after the summer of studying. Using mostly princeton material and barrons flashcards. I am most worried about my verbal and do not know what I am gonna do about writing.. Lets keep one another going full throttle! I am also using study droid to make and study flash cards .

Hey everyone,

I was signed up for the 3/24 test date, but I switched to this one primarily because of testing locations (5 minutes away on 4/5 vs. 2 and a half hours 3/24). Also, the extra 2 weeks of studying doesn't hurt ;) I'm taking my first AAMC practice test later today. I took a free, written Kaplan diagnostic test which did not resemble the actual MCAT at all a week ago and got a 28 (10 PS, 8 VR, 11 BS) so hopefully AAMC 3 will be a little kinder. We'll see

Woo! This thread is jumping today. :D

I'm still plodding along with content review. I put my check for tests from Berkeley Review in the mail today...Has anyone ordered those exams? (aside from cfive22 ^^) Anyone know how long it will take to recognize an order and send me an e-mail? SDN reports that it takes forever and a day for the books to arrive. I hope the test only requests are processed more quickly...

Woo! This thread is jumping today. :D

I'm still plodding along with content review. I put my check for tests from Berkeley Review in the mail today...Has anyone ordered those exams? (aside from cfive22 ^^) Anyone know how long it will take to recognize an order and send me an e-mail? SDN reports that it takes forever and a day for the books to arrive. I hope the test only requests are processed more quickly...

I ordered BR test (1-5) for my son about Jan 16 and on the form we put down the test date 3/24 and liked to activate on Feb 3 (we mapped out the schedule already based on modified SN2ed).

I called them I believed ~ Jan 26 to confirm if BR received our letter with credit card information. They did. However, they will activate the login on Feb8 instead of 3rd which we asked. That messed up our schedule & we had to modified again.

Anyway, as it turned out they used 45 days as reference from your test day and calculate backward for about 45 days plus may be few days. I believe BR activate group requests at one time for computer "labor" or internal "logistic" reason. I think that is why they ask you what is your test day on the form. You just can't pick a random date based on your preference. I can be wrong. Call them.

P.S. My son received the email with login info on the evening of Feb 7. (make sure to check your junk mail folder. According to BR, a lot of school firewalls don't like the BR email and "thought" they are junk mail) We started the BR#1 on Feb 11 Saturday morning.

I'm starting chapter 8 of tbr chapters tomorrow meaning i should be finished with content by the first week of March. I think I'm going to take my first aamc practice exam at some point next week and I've definitely been slacking on the review problems which I know is terrible but hopefully a full month during March of pretty much exclusively practice problems and practice tests will help with success on test day. Starting to freak out a little b/c I haven't followed SN2's schedule as closely as I had planned but there is still a decent amount of time before Thursday the 5th. Godspeed everybody.

I'm starting chapter 8 of tbr chapters tomorrow meaning i should be finished with content by the first week of March. I think I'm going to take my first aamc practice exam at some point next week and I've definitely been slacking on the review problems which I know is terrible but hopefully a full month during March of pretty much exclusively practice problems and practice tests will help with success on test day. Starting to freak out a little b/c I haven't followed SN2's schedule as closely as I had planned but there is still a decent amount of time before Thursday the 5th. Godspeed everybody.

Hey man, don't stress. Most people (myself included) have a hard time finishing that schedule - it's brutal! Doing practice problems for a month should be more than enough time to solidify what you already know. I'm at the same position as you are, but I'm not freaking out. We have time, don't worry!

I've been modifying SN2ed schedule quite a bit, because I've come to realize I can't keep it up with full-time school work. Do you think it's a terrible idea to just finish the content (readings, in-chapter questions, end chapter questions) ONLY, then about two weeks before starting the FLs, just do the exercise problems from TPR workbook along with FLs when the time comes?

I ordered BR test (1-5) for my son about Jan 16 and on the form we put down the test date 3/24 and liked to activate on Feb 3 (we mapped out the schedule already based on modified SN2ed).

I called them I believed ~ Jan 26 to confirm if BR received our letter with credit card information. They did. However, they will activate the login on Feb8 instead of 3rd which we asked. That messed up our schedule & we had to modified again.

Anyway, as it turned out they used 45 days as reference from your test day and calculate backward for about 45 days plus may be few days. I believe BR activate group requests at one time for computer "labor" or internal "logistic" reason. I think that is why they ask you what is your test day on the form. You just can't pick a random date based on your preference. I can be wrong. Call them.

P.S. My son received the email with login info on the evening of Feb 7. (make sure to check your junk mail folder. According to BR, a lot of school firewalls don't like the BR email and "thought" they are junk mail) We started the BR#1 on Feb 11 Saturday morning.

Awesome! I put my order in the mail today, so hopefully it will be processed within a week or so. I'm running "late" in content review, so I could use an extra few days of studying... Ok, enough SDN. Back to bonds... :rolleyes:

Has anyone done the Berkeley Review Bio passages for Chapter 8 (Metabolic Pathways)? I am getting rocked on these...the really specific ones I get about half wrong. Interestingly enough I average a 13 on every other chapter except for this one. Anyone getting the same results? Btw, I know that the questions that they ask for this chapter are way too specific...but still. Doesn't make you feel good.

Has anyone done the Berkeley Review Bio passages for Chapter 8 (Metabolic Pathways)? I am getting rocked on these...the really specific ones I get about half wrong. Interestingly enough I average a 13 on every other chapter except for this one. Anyone getting the same results? Btw, I know that the questions that they ask for this chapter are way too specific...but still. Doesn't make you feel good.

I did ok on them (scaled 10).

How's everyone doing? Coming up on 1 month!

Just took AAMC 3 last Saturday and got a 30 (10s throughout). I haven't finished my content review (about 60% done) so hopefully I'll manage to bring that score up a little bit. I'm really looking forward to spring break when I can just dedicate a full week without school, research, or work bogging me down.

Berkeley Review Verbal is one of the most frustratingly inaccurate jumble of questions I have ever encountered...I'm in such a rut because I have no more good verbal material left (EK, TPR) and only have BR verbal. Thus, when I try to take their diagnostics, I know what I will see and will not see on the real thing...and this is not it. Does anyone have any good verbal books that they are using that they would like to recommend (not TPR & EK - already completed)?

I agree about TBR verbal. The questions are too long! If you combined the length of the questions for one passage, they would probably make up an entire passage! Also, I'm not sure if you noticed this as well, but on the questions that have the Roman Numerals (I, II, III, etc.) TBR has up to IV whereas the AAMC tests and EK101 tests only have I-III. TBR is definitely a lot harder.

On a side note, I took AAMC #4 yesterday and got a 35 (12 PS, 9 VR, 14 BS); skipped the writing section. How's everyone else doing?

Getting smoked on the verbal ek 101 passages which is not confidence instilling but still have a little over a month to try and figure it out, first full length practice will be thursday

Just took kaplans full length. bio 9, ps 6 and Vr 6.. I am SO discouraged. I have 1 month and 10 days. I feel like i am lost in the middle of the sea with nothing but dumbbells on my toe. yah.

Getting smoked on the verbal ek 101 passages which is not confidence instilling but still have a little over a month to try and figure it out, first full length practice will be thursday

Good luck dude. Best advice is to keep doing it every day. The best predictor of how you'll do on the Verbal on the real test is EK 101 full lengths. Berk Review is too hard and ridiculous. If you have a chance, use the Verbal workbook from TPR. It's really good to work through those passages.

On another note, just took TPR full length and got 11 PS 7 V 12 BS. Verbal is a bit discouraging but I averaged a 10 to 11 for AAMCs and so not too discouraged. Anybody using TPR material to review?

I don't have the TBR books, but for TBR Full length #1 I was 8/14/8 today :rolleyes:*raises a skeptical eyebrow at the 14 in VR*

Unless my scores skyrocket in the next two weeks, I'm gonna try to postpone til May.

I don't have the TBR books, but for TBR Full length #1 I was 8/14/8 today :rolleyes:*raises a skeptical eyebrow at the 14 in VR*

Unless my scores skyrocket in the next two weeks, I'm gonna try to postpone til May.

I feel you man. I took TBR 1 on Thursday and got 8/12/10. Verbal was way too easy. At the same time, I thought PS & BS too challenging. Let's hope our scores improve...although I hear that TBR 1 is the easiest of the 7. Best of luck!

I feel you man. I took TBR 1 on Thursday and got 8/12/10. Verbal was way too easy. At the same time, I thought PS & BS too challenging. Let's hope our scores improve...although I hear that TBR 1 is the easiest of the 7. Best of luck!

Whew! Glad to hear the BS and PS were fairly "challenging". I've been studying like crazy since yesterday in panic mode. I feel like I can take some deep breaths and just sort of chug along now.

Yeah, verbal was a bit too straightforward. When I got to the problem that had the word "jackass" in it, I was like... :eek: If the MCAT ever said "jackass", I would kill myself laughing. Not exactly aligned there guys...

Whew! Glad to hear the BS and PS were fairly "challenging". I've been studying like crazy since yesterday in panic mode. I feel like I can take some deep breaths and just sort of chug along now.

Yeah, verbal was a bit too straightforward. When I got to the problem that had the word "jackass" in it, I was like... :eek: If the MCAT ever said "jackass", I would kill myself laughing. Not exactly aligned there guys...

The following is from a thread dated3/2/11 from a SDN member BerkReviewTeach:
He compared the 7 BR FL exams.

BR1 - PS (difficult), VR (easy), BS (medium)
BR2 - PS (medium), VR (hard), BS (medium)
BR3 - PS (difficult), VR (difficult), BS (difficult)
BR4 - PS (medium), VR (medium), BS (hard)
BR5 - PS (hard), VR (medium), BS (hard)
BR6 - PS (semi-easy), VR (medium), BS (medium)
BR7 - PS (hard), VR (medium), BS (hard)

Hope that helps :)

The following is from a thread dated3/2/11 from a SDN member BerkReviewTeach:
He compared the 7 BR FL exams.

BR1 - PS (difficult), VR (easy), BS (medium)
BR2 - PS (medium), VR (hard), BS (medium)
BR3 - PS (difficult), VR (difficult), BS (difficult)
BR4 - PS (medium), VR (medium), BS (hard)
BR5 - PS (hard), VR (medium), BS (hard)
BR6 - PS (semi-easy), VR (medium), BS (medium)
BR7 - PS (hard), VR (medium), BS (hard)

Hope that helps :)

Ah I've seen this thread before. I didn't think that the Ochem on the BS was representative of the real thing. That's where I had some trouble with the BS. Oh well, it's all good practice.