The Official 5/12/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow May 12ers! I didn't see a thread for our test day and considering we are 5 weeks away, I decided to make one! I hope everyone's preparation is going well!

Members don't see this ad.

joonage, maybe you need to take a day off. I had a week where my scores were dropping and because I was getting so frustrated and telling myself there is no way I'm going to be ready in time, I felt like I was digging myself into a ditch. Not a good mental state for going over those full lengths and was definitely not productive studying. Once I crawled out of my little library cubicle and took the weekend off form studying, my scores were my personal highest! It is hard to not feel burnt out by this test.

Took AAMC #5 yesterday
PS 9 VR 11 BS 10

Scored my first 30 which made me pretty happy. Taking another practice test tomorrow, learning from my mistakes. Hopefully all turns out well.

Alright so,

[4/21/12] AAMC 3: 8/8/11 (27)
[5/1/12] Kaplan FL 2: 7/9/10 (26)

I'm doing practice test by day and review by night starting this week.

Three questions:

1.) When did you guys start seeing improvements on tests?

2.) At this point should I even bother with Kaplan?

3.) Should I reschedule?

Also, I'm not too discouraged about the 27 -> 26 decline. The material that wasn't covered on AAMC 3, came up in Kaplan 2 and vice versa. I don't think I made the same mistakes (atleast on the PS) just some careless math errors because Kaplan was more math intensive

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Alright so,

[4/21/12] AAMC 3: 8/8/11 (27)
[5/1/12] Kaplan FL 2: 7/9/10 (26)

I'm doing practice test by day and review by night starting this week.

Three questions:

1.) When did you guys start seeing improvements on tests?

2.) At this point should I even bother with Kaplan?

3.) Should I reschedule?

Also, I'm not too discouraged about the 27 -> 26 decline. The material that wasn't covered on AAMC 3, came up in Kaplan 2 and vice versa. I don't think I made the same mistakes (atleast on the PS) just some careless math errors because Kaplan was more math intensive
Hmm i think it's difficult to compare AAMC with Kaplan. Kaplan's score scale is more forgiving in my opinion, though I do think that their passages for PS and BS are a lot longer and somewhat more convoluted than AAMC, which is likely the reason their scale is less harsh. Still I would not rely too much on Kaplan for actual MCAT score prediction.

I'm also using Kaplan full lengths just so I have more practice but I am not planning on finishing all 11 of them. I am def going to do all the AAMCs though. I'm assuming that you haven't done any other AAMC FLs besides #3? I think at this point you should definitely focus more on AAMC and only do Kaplan if you have time. In my case I already did AAMC 3-8 and I plan on doing the last 3 and likely at least 2 more Kaplans between now and test day, which I think would really be a stretch already. I highly doubt you can do AAMC 4-11 in this time in addition to more Kaplan and still reap full benefits from the AAMC exams.

Getting pretty tired in the middle of practice tests which are making more score worse and worse. Anyone else in the same boat?

Hmm i think it's difficult to compare AAMC with Kaplan. Kaplan's score scale is more forgiving in my opinion, though I do think that their passages for PS and BS are a lot longer and somewhat more convoluted than AAMC, which is likely the reason their scale is less harsh. Still I would not rely too much on Kaplan for actual MCAT score prediction.

I'm also using Kaplan full lengths just so I have more practice but I am not planning on finishing all 11 of them. I am def going to do all the AAMCs though. I'm assuming that you haven't done any other AAMC FLs besides #3? I think at this point you should definitely focus more on AAMC and only do Kaplan if you have time. In my case I already did AAMC 3-8 and I plan on doing the last 3 and likely at least 2 more Kaplans between now and test day, which I think would really be a stretch already. I highly doubt you can do AAMC 4-11 in this time in addition to more Kaplan and still reap full benefits from the AAMC exams.

Thanks for the input, I'm just going to focus on AAMC and weaknesses, how are you with your tests? Should I expect a substantially larger score from reviewing content? I'd like around a 34 and at this point seems unrealistic but optimistic

My scores so far are from 31-35, but I know the 35s are inflated since I've allowed myself to go over time for PS and VR for all the exams except for #3. It really depends why you think you're getting questions wrong. Is it the test format or is it content comprehension? When you went over the exam did you go oh yeah, I knew that! ? It's really hard to say but I think it's possible to jump from 27 to low 30's in a week and a half, but probably not much more.

Random digression, but are any 5/12ers using EK101?

I want to rant about how bad the questions are made. EK 101 likes to test on the peculiars or nuisances more often than AAMCs. That wouldn't bother me alone, but when you add in the fact that the "correct" answers are so arguable it makes me so angry. EK101 is nothing like the AAMC, NOTHING.

I literally want to burn my EK101 book, but I'm simply going to use it to improve on timing from now on.

Agreed CoolWhip.

Hey guys...we are on deck. Our MCAT is in 9 days and 16 hours.

I'm going to go have diarrhea now.:help:

Where EK 101 helped me is making me stronger at retaining passage information and looking at the big picture. A few questions are highly suspect but most are reasonable. Im averaging 10-11 with the ever so elusive 12.

I use a combo of EK 101 and Kaplan stuff for VR. Kaplan forces me to keep pace because their section tests are timed, EK I usually do better in but usually go over time since its just out of a book. I've been stuck in the 9-10 range with the once in a blue moon 11. Things will be moving along swimmingly until I hit 1 or 2 wtf passages that I just can't make any sense of and then I'll miss almost all the questions with those passages. Here's to hoping we don't get hit with anything philosophy related next Sat!

agh!!! I finally improved xD ... I guess relaxing does help alot with the scores ...

AAMC #8, got 34 - 10/12/12 (PS/V/BS). I expected better for PS, but glancing at it, I made some dumb mistakes. Verbal was a pleasant surprise, but I think it helped that all the passages were somewhat interesting. And for BS, crazy that only missing 4 drops you to a 12. How good do you have to be?!?!? o.o

Anyways, time to use this high to study some more ... haha

Holy MCAT gods...

AAMC #10 today:
14/11/13 (PS,VR,BS) 38

The computer lab I was in almost caught on fire due to a fuse blowing and creating a huge electric spark... TWICE... both during my verbal of course. Everyone was freaking out and I have never been so frustratingly distracted in my life. Funny part is even in the event of a fire, I would contemplate finishing my section. Haha. Would have bet my right testicle I got <8 on verbal.... end result: best score on verbal so far? WTH? I haven't gotten above a 10 on any verbal including EK practice. Clearly when you use bare minimum (main argument and tone), you get caught in less traps. That or my body responds well to adrenaline/slight panic.

Side note: TBR is just absurdly good at preparing you for these AAMC BS and PS sections. It's becoming clear to me that going through every page of TBR bio, physics, gen chem and orgo as well as every passage (just finished last one the other day) is extremely great prep. I have been fortunate enough to kill these passages with 8+ minutes left because they are so simple compared to TBR.

AAMC 11 friday... then a week of straight verbal only. Maybe a little light science refresh for weak areas.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
agh!!! I finally improved xD ... I guess relaxing does help alot with the scores ...

AAMC #8, got 34 - 10/12/12 (PS/V/BS). I expected better for PS, but glancing at it, I made some dumb mistakes. Verbal was a pleasant surprise, but I think it helped that all the passages were somewhat interesting. And for BS, crazy that only missing 4 drops you to a 12. How good do you have to be?!?!? o.o

GET ITTTTTT! Well done, glad to see things picked up. Be like this ---> :cool: guy and you will do better than this ---> :scared: guy. It really does make a difference when you feel in control.

Keep up the good work boys and girls, almost done.

Are you kidding about verbal?? I thought this was the most difficult verbal ever!

Are you kidding about verbal?? I thought this was the most difficult verbal ever!

Really? It was a little challenging, but the passages were WAY more interesting than the past FLs. Or they at least didn't bore the crap out of me to the point of losing focus. I think that's my problem with verbal. I just lose focus because of the sheer boringness of the passage. haha

Hopefully I can keep my scores up for FL9 on Friday! And damn Enginr! I thought I did well, but you killed it! Hope you keep it up~!

Hey I am taking my mcat on May 12th as well!
Does anyone have solutions for aamc 9/10/11 my account expired today and I have the tests saved just needed solutions-- if anyone could pm me, that would be very helpful!! thanks in advance

Really? It was a little challenging, but the passages were WAY more interesting than the past FLs. Or they at least didn't bore the crap out of me to the point of losing focus. I think that's my problem with verbal. I just lose focus because of the sheer boringness of the passage. haha

Hopefully I can keep my scores up for FL9 on Friday! And damn Enginr! I thought I did well, but you killed it! Hope you keep it up~!
I got a 9 for this verbal, my lowest score. In disbelief of how bad I felt while taking it, I actually retook it before reviewing the solutions under the impression that maybe I was for some reason out of it the first time, and I got the same score again. It was really a tough one for me, every passage seemed so abstract and hard to understand. Even during review I was not understanding the explanation. I guess everyone is different!

So tired of studying, 7am to 12am for the last month. def feel burt. What's even more frustrating is all the stupid mistakes u make on questions u know for sure. Think my brain feels the way people do on a packed elavator with one more person trying to squeeze in, Not gunna happen. need a break but will not take one. stay Strong!

Finally done with every AAMC practice exam :D :D :D YES. This is coming to a close, finally. It's kind of surreal that SN2ed schedule is essentially completed... went so fast and so slow.

AAMC #11: 14,11,11 (PS, VR, BS) 36

First off. Physics section, I want to make love to you for being my saving grace :laugh: every single time. I pray to the gods of physics that our PS section on the real deal is a joke.

Second, (Slight detail Spoiler of AAMC 11 in red): EFFF the second to last passage of BS. That not only ate all my time but killed my score. WOW. Man is it frustrating when it's not knowledge but a single ridiculous graph that stands in the way of 1-2 more points. That thing was simply unreadable. I can think of 10 different ways to present those results clearer.

Thirdly... verbal is picking up baby! Feeling more comfortable, getting a verbal groove going.

Hope all is going well with you guys. 1 week is a lot of time!

So tired of studying, 7am to 12am for the last month. def feel burt. What's even more frustrating is all the stupid mistakes u make on questions u know for sure. Think my brain feels the way people do on a packed elavator with one more person trying to squeeze in, Not gunna happen. need a break but will not take one. stay Strong!

Bad idea.

Awesome job Enginr! I would probably cry if I ever got a 14 on PS, you're going to rock this test next week! I took another Kaplan FL yesterday and am in the process of going over it. I don't know why I always score lower on the Kaplan tests than I do the AAMC ones if Kaplan's score conversion is supposed to be inflated. I'll take AAMC 11 sometime this weekend but I'm sort of scared to!

Finally done with every AAMC practice exam :D :D :D YES. This is coming to a close, finally. It's kind of surreal that SN2ed schedule is essentially completed... went so fast and so slow.

AAMC #11: 14,11,11 (PS, VR, BS) 36

First off. Physics section, I want to make love to you for being my saving grace :laugh: every single time. I pray to the gods of physics that our PS section on the real deal is a joke.

Second, (Slight detail Spoiler of AAMC 11 in red): EFFF the second to last passage of BS. That not only ate all my time but killed my score. WOW. Man is it frustrating when it's not knowledge but a single ridiculous graph that stands in the way of 1-2 more points. That thing was simply unreadable. I can think of 10 different ways to present those results clearer.

Thirdly... verbal is picking up baby! Feeling more comfortable, getting a verbal groove going.

Hope all is going well with you guys. 1 week is a lot of time!
yeah your PS have been rocking every time! how have you been able to improve your verbal?? my verbal is getting worse...another freaking 9 today on aamc 9. what is going on?!?!?! so frustrating! it's the main thing pulling my score down yet i'm hesitant to waste more time on it cause i've seen only a worsening trend since i started my prep, whereas i can always get more comfortable with PS since while i'm scoring in the 11-13 i'm still strap for time. verbal or ps for the last week?? don't know....

Question for you guys.

I have 2 AAMC's left, 10 and 11.

I can't resume my studying until monday - family is in town for graduation.

Do you think it would be better to take 1 on Tuesday and be done with them before the actual test. If so 10 or 11?

OR

1 Monday and 1 Wednesday?

Take both if you can... but if you have to take one I suggest 11. I found it more challenging and I feel most people do. For that reason I would recommend pushing yourself a little and hopefully the real thing will be less of a surprise.

Best of luck! Congrats on graduation.

Question for you guys.

I have 2 AAMC's left, 10 and 11.

I can't resume my studying until monday - family is in town for graduation.

Do you think it would be better to take 1 on Tuesday and be done with them before the actual test. If so 10 or 11?

OR

1 Monday and 1 Wednesday?
Yeah, I'm most likely be taking 10 tomorrow, then 6 and 11 next week. Might as well get as much practice in as possible! Can only help, that is, if you are not prone to burning out. If you are afraid of that then maybe take 11 timed and 10 just as more practice.

Just took #9. Got a 32 - 11/11/10 (PS/VR/BS).

So I'm back to being consistent which is good. Got my lowest BS score, but eh, can't complain with a ten. This BS section seemed pretty hard too compared to the other ones ...

Now time to study some more! haha

Just think guys, in exactly one week from now it will all be over! :hardy:
I know! How is everyone feeling? I personally go from nervous to nonchalant (only when I convince myself that it's just another test), but mostly really really nervous!! I am praying that I won't get so nervous and freeze up on test day. God knows I can't afford to be any slower than I already am since the ticking clock has been my worst enemy!!

Take both if you can... but if you have to take one I suggest 11. I found it more challenging and I feel most people do. For that reason I would recommend pushing yourself a little and hopefully the real thing will be less of a surprise.

Best of luck! Congrats on graduation.

Yeah, I'm most likely be taking 10 tomorrow, then 6 and 11 next week. Might as well get as much practice in as possible! Can only help, that is, if you are not prone to burning out. If you are afraid of that then maybe take 11 timed and 10 just as more practice.

Thanks guys. I'll definitely be taking 11 next week. Depending on when family leaves I might take 10 tomorrow night.

I'm not too prone to burning out I think. Spending time with family over the past few days was a really nice refresher. I've learned that my social skills kind of took a decline over these past three months...:laugh:

Good luck to everyone and keep it up. We're closing in on having this beast behind us. Then we can all dive into filling out our applications! :thumbup:

Enginr---congrats!! You've made awesome improvement. Did you use BR for PS?

I used BR for everything. For a few concepts in physics I skimmed the princeton review book I have too. Sometimes the BR physics content review didn't click so that was helpful but not necessary. I used examkrakers for BIO review but usually ended up reading the TBR matching chapter/material too. Bio was my weakest of all sciences coming in because I essentially majored in physics and took 3 years of chem in high school on top of re-doing them all in college right before this content review. So I put in the extra time there with both BR and EK bio but TBR for everything else.

Just finished AAMC 11 and feel like someone punched me in the face. PS: :confused: VR: :sleep: BS: :eek::eek: especially that ebola passage. I ended up with a 33 (11/10/12) but felt like I was flubbering through it and just happened to guess right more often than not. If I missed all of the questions I should have I probably would have scored below 30. Definitely the most difficult out of the AAMC exams!

Just finished AAMC 11 and feel like someone punched me in the face. PS: :confused: VR: :sleep: BS: :eek::eek: especially that ebola passage. I ended up with a 33 (11/10/12) but felt like I was flubbering through it and just happened to guess right more often than not. If I missed all of the questions I should have I probably would have scored below 30. Definitely the most difficult out of the AAMC exams!

Haha... I feel ya. But The fact that we both scored in the mid 30s is solid stuff. Nice even distribution for you at least! I think you're ready.

I'm just trying to stay sharp this week. Going over AAMC 11 today, gunna do 2 verbal FLs each day up to Friday with a little content review of my rough subjects like reproduction and genetics... doubly check through my physics formula memorization, etc.

Took aamc 11 today. Scored a 29. I don't know what to think right now. I'm so upset and I'm so tired. I don't know what happened and I don't know if it's just today was a bad day or if I'm really not ready. I've been scoring consistently in the 34 and 35 since from aamc 4-9, with a 31 for aamc 3. How did I suddenly drop to a 29? I've never felt so defeated in my life over anything. Nothing. I've never in my life shed a tear over anything related to school or exams but tonight is different...

I guess I made the right decision to take 11 first before 10. At least I still have about a week to recover from this.

Took aamc 11 today. Scored a 29. I don't know what to think right now. I'm so upset and I'm so tired. I don't know what happened and I don't know if it's just today was a bad day or if I'm really not ready. I've been scoring consistently in the 34 and 35 since from aamc 4-9, with a 31 for aamc 3. How did I suddenly drop to a 29? I've never felt so defeated in my life over anything. Nothing. I've never in my life shed a tear over anything related to school or exams but tonight is different...

I guess I made the right decision to take 11 first before 10. At least I still have about a week to recover from this.

11 was really really tough.... keep your chin up, your other scores show you know your stuff! Go in an rock 10, walk into the real thing confident because that's more important than anything.

agh ... I'm taking 10 tomorrow and 11 on Wednesday. Maybe I should switch them around. xD

Less than a week ........... as I'm reviewing things, every hours my mind goes to "I'm so ready! I'm going to own this and get a 35+" to "FML... I don't know anything. I'm going to get a 25..."

MCATs make you bipolar.

11 was really really tough.... keep your chin up, your other scores show you know your stuff! Go in an rock 10, walk into the real thing confident because that's more important than anything.
Thanks. I'm gonna review the test tonight except for the verbal section because I scored an 8. I want to retake it tomorrow and see if I do better. I know it doesn't really count but I refuse to think I am that bad at verbal. And plus might as well not totally waste this verbal practice since I really had no idea what was going on when I was taking it. For some reason I couldn't think straight at all. Maybe I'm just burned out. Either way this experience is making me feel like a weak little girl crying over a stupid exam. I can't believe it. I am not a little junior in college for christ's sake. I'm a 28 year old woman who has gone through way more **** than this and never had to cry over it like a baby!...At least I just laughed a little as I typing this.

Joonage-yes I'd advise you switch it. Give yourself more time to prep or recover if needed according to 11 since it's the closest thing to the real thing as most say.

MzAires, your scores are great! Please don't let one test get to you too much and definitely don't feel bad for crying about it! If it makes you feel any better, I've had so many MCAT induced meltdowns this month that my mom keeps asking if I'm about to start my period. Probably didn't need to share that. In all honesty though, its just a test. And I feel like a hypocrite for saying it like that but it is so easy to get caught up in feeling like your entire future medical career hangs on it. If you've done everything you possibly could to prepare for it, then you're ready! We all just need to stay calm, use our brains and not get caught up in the whole "omg this is it" mentality. Thats when you begin to doubt yourself and make stupid mistakes. At least this is what I'm telling myself to get me through these next few days!

Took the last practice test I'll have time for before the real deal. AAMC #9. Got a 10/11/12. The five practice tests I've taken have been 33/32/32/32/33, so I guess I know what score I'm getting! :xf:

Took the last practice test I'll have time for before the real deal. AAMC #9. Got a 10/11/12. The five practice tests I've taken have been 33/32/32/32/33, so I guess I know what score I'm getting! :xf:

You got an 11 on verbal, I got a 9 on this one. I literally did not understand anything I read.

I generally find the verbal passages fairly interesting. I got a 13 on the verbal in AAMC #11, but it got balanced out with a 7 in PS. Luckily all my other tests have been pretty evenly distributed.

I generally find the verbal passages fairly interesting. I got a 13 on the verbal in AAMC #11, but it got balanced out with a 7 in PS. Luckily all my other tests have been pretty evenly distributed.

Interesting? INTERESTING?!?!?!

I'm calm now.

Just took AAMC#11

11/11/11

Holy Ebola. Wtf.

Happy with the score, I would be thrilled to get this on Saturday.

Just took AAMC#11

11/11/11

Holy Ebola. Wtf.

Happy with the score, I would be thrilled to get this on Saturday.

I hope we all get 11's across the board...

Anyone else feel like they have nothing really to do and kinda just want to take it? I feel like I'm becoming less sharp by the minute! Legit finished every BR passage so kinda don't know what to do but read and do FL verbal practice?

I just did aamc 3 today got a lousy 30, after all this hardwork i get 12,6,12
a 6 on verbal hit me hard.
I don't agree that aamc 3 is easier than others because i did the other exam, some of the questions were worded really vaguely and awkwardly even in the science sections.
I am not that good on verbal but a 6 is devastating i usually score 8-9
anyways i might have to throw another 240$ and cancel my registration to see if i can make it to 13-14 in sciences just to cover my **s in the following weeks.
Going to make a decision tonight whether to cancel or not.
PS: BR average for 7 cbts was 31 , i did aamc 4 i got 31 aamc 3 30 , the other aamc's i did last year when i got a 28 on real thing ( 9 on verbal)
anyways that was me Venting, hope everyone is doing well

I just did aamc 3 today got a lousy 30, after all this hardwork i get 12,6,12
a 6 on verbal hit me hard.
I don't agree that aamc 3 is easier than others because i did the other exam, some of the questions were worded really vaguely and awkwardly even in the science sections.
I am not that good on verbal but a 6 is devastating i usually score 8-9
anyways i might have to throw another 240$ and cancel my registration to see if i can make it to 13-14 in sciences just to cover my **s in the following weeks.
Going to make a decision tonight whether to cancel or not.
PS: BR average for 7 cbts was 31 , i did aamc 4 i got 31 aamc 3 30 , the other aamc's i did last year when i got a 28 on real thing ( 9 on verbal)
anyways that was me Venting, hope everyone is doing well
Cancel? Don't cancel! Go and take it then void it so you can at least use it as real practice!

Cancel? Don't cancel! Go and take it then void it so you can at least use it as real practice!

I second that... You might as well go in and see how it goes. You might go in and really rock a section and say what the hell, let's grade it. At this point canceling is like buying an AAMC practice exam and never using it. Best practice exam you can get is the real deal and you have literally nothing to lose except money... which you're losing either way :p Hell, going in knowing your going to void may take enough nerves off to give you an advatage

Good luck!!!