The Official 5/12/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow May 12ers! I didn't see a thread for our test day and considering we are 5 weeks away, I decided to make one! I hope everyone's preparation is going well!

Members don't see this ad.

NO!!!! :laugh:

In all seriousness, it would be good practice to do them as individual sets of passages. Maybe 2 passages at a time, but the exam was rough and if you don't want to risk your zen, I would take the simpler route. I could have bombed the exam and been scared as hell going into saturday because there's not much time to adjust. I don't want to see anybody going in without confidence, and in retrospect it was a risky decision on my part.
So you really think 6 was harder than 11?? I did so bad on 11 (29). With 6 I got back to my usual 35.

I am still very worried since I have to honestly say that I have used the pause button almost during every single practice, though not for a long time, but usually when I'm really frantic with spending too much time during a calculation. I know I shouldn't but I couldn't help it. I am scared on the real thing I will run out of time. It's actually a very likely possibility so I'm ready to accept that my score may be a few points less than average due to timing. Though I still have aamc 10 to take tomorrow so I will try my absolute best to pretend the pause button isn't there and see what happens!

Just took AAMC 10

9/11/11

Disappointed with the score, especially because I've been scoring a couple points higher on the PS section and apparently this FL is supposed to have an easy PS.

I'm finding a little solace in the fact that I was one question away from the next higher point on all three sections. But still.. 31.. Hmm

I guess its normal to have a score range +/- 2 your average.

So, for me my test on Saturday should be a 32 +/- 2.

Hopefully I'm on the upper end of the average but any score that starts with a 3- is A OK in my book.

Keep up the hard work, patch up the weak areas and take some time to get in the zone!

Last edited:
In my experience, I'd say the majority of the variance in difficulty level for each exam was 30% content depth, 70% time. If I had a lot of time on 6 I probably would have done a lot better (cough bio cough). We all know this stuff for the most part, if we all had 30 more minutes per section, we would all probably get the same score +/- random accidental mistakes... the time factor is what makes it hard I think.

I'd hate to see you get to the real thing and not know what to do because the pause option isn't there. Definitely simulate the real deal so that you feel comfortable Saturday!

Any time you feel like you should press pause, check your time table, see if you can spend the time and stay within the cushion. If you can't, mark an answer that isn't crossed out and move on!!!!!

Your scores have been solid, you obviously know this stuff, now hammer down that strategy and you'll be golden.

Hope everything is going well for everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, I'd say the majority of the variance in difficulty level for each exam was 30% content depth, 70% time. If I had a lot of time on 6 I probably would have done a lot better (cough bio cough). We all know this stuff for the most part, if we all had 30 more minutes per section, we would all probably get the same score +/- random accidental mistakes... the time factor is what makes it hard I think.

I'd hate to see you get to the real thing and not know what to do because the pause option isn't there. Definitely simulate the real deal so that you feel comfortable Saturday!

Agree.

Aries - No pause button for you tomorrow. Deal with the panic, so you can handle it on Saturday. Better to mess up here and learn then to "learn" on Saturday.

Thanks! Okay, I think I know what you mean. I was thinking more on the lines of component velocity. Like light travels at 3x10^8 m/s but it was going toward earth at a 40 degree angle so it's component velocity would be less, vsinetheta. The difference between this situation and a situation where you would take into account the angle seems very similar. Tricky! Not sure if I can differentiate it if this kind of problem comes up again.

I didn't finish the BS on time. I think mainly because I took my time cause I didn't realize there was that last set of discretes since it printed on the back of the bubble sheet and I was using the bubble sheet. When I realized I had used up the 100 minutes. But it was very long and if I had to finish it in time I would've definitely had to rush and likely make more mistakes.

Light always travels at 3 x 10^8 in a vacuum, so keep that in the back of your mind. I see what you mean though.

I'm planning on taking and reviewing aamc 10 tomorrow, then maybe spending the morning on Friday going over formulas, the NMR and IR stuff, review mistakes on the practice aamcs if I haven't already done so between now and then, and another other thing that pops into my head. Then I will either go get a one day pass at Equinox and work out like mad to tire myself out so I can fall asleep that night or get a massage somewhere to help me relax. Then relax for the evening, get a good night sleep (hopefully, since I've been having lots of trouble falling asleep and have always been somewhat of an insomniac).

Question, we don't have to bring out own lock to the test center right? They provide the locks?

Am I invisible? Can no one see my comments? I'm feeling lonely and looney i think.

I think you would have to be pretty vague to be able to come up with a singular idea in physics, or in any subject for that matter.

I think it's better to come up with concepts, and start understanding a few concepts of physics, biology, etc.

It's really too late to be learning an entirely new concept right now, everything should just be coming together at this point.

I was having the same issue this week which is why I chose to do aamc 6... I was nervous I was losing my momentum and sharpness. Here's my advice since I was just in your shoes:

Whip out aamc 6. Break it up into chunks and do them with roughly the correct time (2 minutes/passage 1 minute per problem for sciences, 3 min/ passage + just under 60 seconds/question for verbal).

This should give you good practice with unfamiliar material,and it will feel more like TBR practice than a practice test that reflects a "score".

Thank you for your advice. Like a robot i printed the exam and just gave myself 7-8 minutes to do each passage, no anxiety what so ever for some reason. AAMC format calms me down (when i see TBR i freak out!). I think I might have done this one before (this is my retake, not sure some of it may have been familiar but i have taken so many by now its all the same LOl). Definatly did not remember a single question that is for sure. I did each passage and then checked my scores as I went along. Only one passage gave me terrible trouble (comets, WTF?) LOl. All in all i got a 11 :) in PS. Which is not too shabby considering i am freaking out. Thank you for your advice, i actually focused for the first time in 3 days ! I think tomorrow I will do the same for verbal and for bio. Focus on pacing and getting that extra bit of confidance. There were 4 questions where I totally made careless errors which reminds me that each error i make now is an error i will not make on the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you would have to be pretty vague to be able to come up with a singular idea in physics, or in any subject for that matter.

I think it's better to come up with concepts, and start understanding a few concepts of physics, biology, etc.

It's really too late to be learning an entirely new concept right now, everything should just be coming together at this point.

Yay! I'm not alone in the world :D

I think I meant a unifying idea, a foundation which ties every concept together. My frustration is that everything is coming together smashingly, except with physics. I haven't scored below a 12 on verbal ever... after I nailed down some orgo specifics, my BS is up there too... but PS, I vary from a 7 one day to a 10 the next and it seems to be random light refractions or something that is the difference maker. I don't know if that makes sense... maybe I'm just tired.

Yay! I'm not alone in the world :D

I think I meant a unifying idea, a foundation which ties every concept together. My frustration is that everything is coming together smashingly, except with physics. I haven't scored below a 12 on verbal ever... after I nailed down some orgo specifics, my BS is up there too... but PS, I vary from a 7 one day to a 10 the next and it seems to be random light refractions or something that is the difference maker. I don't know if that makes sense... maybe I'm just tired.
Then spend these last couple days focusing on optics! I think you mentioned optics before too so that is an obvious area you can improve on. I haven't come across any aamc optics questions that were too hard yet, they all seem pretty simple like just know the formulas: 1/f = 1/s + 1/s' and m=h'/h=(-s'/s). Seriously if you don't feel you can really wrap your head around it then at least just understand these formulas and how to assign the +/- signs based on the type of lens or mirror and whether the image is real or inverted. For me this section seemed really hard to grasp in the beginning. I even skipped the whole chapter in my physics class during my postbac cause I found it so annoying and I knew with the structure of my final exam I could still get an A without knowing that particular chapter. Anyway, I learned it using TBR and it's not so bad. Come to think of it though I should probably make sure I didn't forget how to draw light rays...

I'm very envious of your verbal skills that comes so easily! Just shows we all have our strengths and weaknesses! But let me tell you, improving on physics is easier than verbal! I feel extremely happy that somehow I have managed to improve verbal a little in the past couple days.

It seems to me like kaplan's FL have alot of PS and Bio passages that are "harder" than the practice AAMC's test. Does anyone else feel this way. Just considering spending the remander of my time doing tough kaplan passages.

I'm pretty much expecting to be blown away when the real thing comes but since I've already determined this I will not let it get to me. I imagine PS is going to be super hard and will try and shake people up. The most important thing is to stay calm, work fast, and stay confident. Don't let the first couple of tough passages rattle you. gotta pull it back together and finish strong.

Then spend these last couple days focusing on optics! I think you mentioned optics before too so that is an obvious area you can improve on. I haven't come across any aamc optics questions that were too hard yet, they all seem pretty simple like just know the formulas: 1/f = 1/s + 1/s' and m=h'/h=(-s'/s). Seriously if you don't feel you can really wrap your head around it then at least just understand these formulas and how to assign the +/- signs based on the type of lens or mirror and whether the image is real or inverted. For me this section seemed really hard to grasp in the beginning. I even skipped the whole chapter in my physics class during my postbac cause I found it so annoying and I knew with the structure of my final exam I could still get an A without knowing that particular chapter. Anyway, I learned it using TBR and it's not so bad. Come to think of it though I should probably make sure I didn't forget how to draw light rays...

I'm very envious of your verbal skills that comes so easily! Just shows we all have our strengths and weaknesses! But let me tell you, improving on physics is easier than verbal! I feel extremely happy that somehow I have managed to improve verbal a little in the past couple days.

Thanks so much for this, really... helpful advice and encouragement is such a blessing in these last couple of days.

DrRichard, thats been my plan. I did a PS and VR kaplan section test today, went over both of them and the AAMC full length I took yesterday plus did some light review book reading. I'll probably do the same tomorrow. I wasn't planning on studying Fri but I know I'll just be thinking about all the things I still don't know and will make myself go over equations with some added flashcard action.

viva, I think the consensus is that 11 is the most difficult but most like the real deal. I would say take it just so you have an idea about what is going to go down Sat, just don't be too discouraged if your score takes a hit.

Just finished #11. 34! So staying consistent which is good. To break it down PS/VR/BS - 10/10/14.

Sorta bummed about PS. I was short on time which sucked ... but when I glanced at it, I got some stupid questions wrongs ... like blatantly easy ones.

VR - eh ... I don't think I can change anything anymore. I've ranged from 9 to 12 so hopefully come test day it'll be on the high side.

BS - Holy frekin ebola baby. I'm surprised I got so high! I actually enjoyed it more since it was more bio oriented. I always seem to have extra time in BS and thank God I did since I went back to check my answers and ended up changing 3 answers which I completely answered incorrectly. haha

But yeah ... call me crazy, but I'm actually stoke for Saturday. This test was a good way to finish!

Sometimes I get stressed that I might accidentally click "void this exam" when I'm prompted at that screen.

Just thought I'd confess that and put it out in the open.

Sometimes I get stressed that I might accidentally click "void this exam" when I'm prompted at that screen.

Just thought I'd confess that and put it out in the open.
From what I hear a LOT of people consider it at the end. I think I probably will consider too. I mean it all depends on how we do on test day right? If I really truly felt I did terrible, I will void. It will be stupid not to if for some reason you're not on your game and you know you missed a lot of moderate difficulty questions. You know the curve won't help you any. It's different I think if you found some questions really difficult and hard to comprehend because many other test takers may also feel the same. There might be a nice curve in that case and you're better off sticking to your guns and submitting! Hopefully we all submit this saturday! GL all!!!!

From what I hear a LOT of people consider it at the end. I think I probably will consider too. I mean it all depends on how we do on test day right? If I really truly felt I did terrible, I will void. It will be stupid not to if for some reason you're not on your game and you know you missed a lot of moderate difficulty questions. You know the curve won't help you any. It's different I think if you found some questions really difficult and hard to comprehend because many other test takers may also feel the same. There might be a nice curve in that case and you're better off sticking to your guns and submitting! Hopefully we all submit this saturday! GL all!!!!

I think the only time to consider voiding is if you legitimately didn't answer questions/missed at least an entire passage somewhere.

Feeling like you didn't know the stuff has given people some good results as of late (4/5ers and physics)

So, lets get a snack list going.

We get three breaks and our glucose levels need to be kept up so we can operate at our highest capacities. Here's what I'm thinking:

Break PS--->VR:
Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup Nuts
Green Tea

Break VR---->WR:
Protein Bar
Apple

Break WR--->BS:
Caffiene Jolt - Whatever it may look like for you. Probably a "Neuro Sonic" for me.
A small bowl of a light chicken pasta - 200-300 calories worth.

As for breakfast... Tough.

I'm going to roll with 2 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 1 piece of toast and a breakfast smoothie. Coffee of course.

Idk about the caffeine. I drank redbull throughout a practice test and it was my worst result. I did granola bars, Gatorade, goldfish crackers on test day.

We get three breaks and our glucose levels need to be kept up so we can operate at our highest capacities. Here's what I'm thinking:

Break PS--->VR:
Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup Nuts
Green Tea

Break VR---->WR:
Protein Bar
Apple

Break WR--->BS:
Caffiene Jolt - Whatever it may look like for you. Probably a "Neuro Sonic" for me.

I'm going to roll with 2 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 1 piece of toast and a breakfast smoothie. Coffee of course.
Haha that's a lot of food! You have a great appetite, not to mention must eat really fast! I'm just bringing some granola bars. Some type of caffeine during the second break is a good idea! Didn't think about that, thanks!

Idk about the caffeine. I drank redbull throughout a practice test and it was my worst result. I did granola bars, Gatorade, goldfish crackers on test day.

Personal preference I guess. I start to glaze during the BS section if I don't have something.

Break PS--->VR:
Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup Nuts
Green Tea

Break VR---->WR:
Protein Bar
Apple

Break WR--->BS:

Here's what I've done for every practice exam and it seems to have worked so far:

Breakfast:
1 bowl of raisin bran crunch with about 1/2 banana sliced in. Enough water to not make me have to pee during the exam.

Break after VR before WS:
1 granola bar of any sort. Nature valley (green wrapper) was my 38 so I'll probably stick with that :laugh:

The key is to go to the bathroom before you leave the house and then right before the test. Haha, it's funny because I am only halfway joking.

Here's what I've done for every practice exam and it seems to have worked so far:

Breakfast:
1 bowl of raisin bran crunch with about 1/2 banana sliced in. Enough water to not make me have to pee during the exam.

Break after VR before WS:
1 granola bar of any sort. Nature valley (green wrapper) was my 38 so I'll probably stick with that :laugh:

The key is to go to the bathroom before you leave the house and then right before the test. Haha, it's funny because I am only halfway joking.

Oh totally. My best score I laid on the ground and did stretches during one of my breaks. You better believe on Saturday I'll be doing some stretches on my breaks...I don't care who watches.

What are you guys doing tomorrow? 75% of me says I should do nothing, and 25% says I should do light review.

So I decided to take one last exam last night.

AAMC #10- 12/11/13

I haven't gone through it yet but what a boost of confidence to see a 36 before test day! I'm with you Joonage, bring on test day!

I like Kinestudent's food choices. I know for myself, when I'm doing heavy brain work, im constantly hungry, so lots of food is good (but not to the point of food-coma, of course). Feed brain, feed!!!

Ok, final game plan.

Today Review AAMC 11. Then do passages from TPRH Gen Chem & Bio until nightime.

Then tomorrow just review MCAT-Review.org starting in the morning. Look over Kaplan sheet in the evening.

Saturday....la bamba

Break PS--->VR:
Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup Nuts
Green Tea

Break VR---->WR:
Protein Bar
Apple

Break WR--->BS:

shoot ... so much food. haha I'm going with the classic as I've done with my SATs in high school - Bananas, granola bars, and water! Possibly a banana peanut-butter sandwich if I'm feeling adventurous :cool:

I like Kinestudent's food choices. I know for myself, when I'm doing heavy brain work, im constantly hungry, so lots of food is good (but not to the point of food-coma, of course). Feed brain, feed!!!

shoot ... so much food. haha I'm going with the classic as I've done with my SATs in high school - Bananas, granola bars, and water! Possibly a banana peanut-butter sandwich if I'm feeling adventurous :cool:

Yeah..I like to eat a lot. It helps me to structure my breaks too, so I not just chewing on my fingernails.

Bananas and granola seem to be common choice though hmm...

I wish i could put a big lipper in during the writing section, but think they would prob frown on that. Just gunna have to wait 5 hr's.

Hea i think i learned my leason last time i took the real mcat, def was brain dead by the time Bio roled around, and the mountain of trail mix I ate just prior wasn't digested in time due chymotrypisins and trypsin not acting fast enough. So i think simple carb's like granola and maybe an apple will give me the quick glucose surge to finish strong.

I have the worst luck/glaring weaknesses

range 26-29 (I KNOW SHUT UP it's awful)

PS - 7-11
BS - 9-11
Verbal 7-10

I'm banking on luck right now. aamc 11 was a grim 26 7/10/9 missed a passage on PS cause I forgot to guess on a whole passage.

but today I'm doing some vigorous reviewing of every weakness and tomorrow spending the day fishing. Oh well, luckily I've alot of practice dealing with failing so no loss of confidence on my end. I may just have to rejoin the ranks of the June or late may thread

I wish i could put a big lipper in during the writing section, but think they would prob frown on that. Just gunna have to wait 5 hr's.

Hea i think i learned my leason last time i took the real mcat, def was brain dead by the time Bio roled around, and the mountain of trail mix I ate just prior wasn't digested in time due chymotrypisins and trypsin not acting fast enough. So i think simple carb's like granola and maybe an apple will give me the quick glucose surge to finish strong.

I'm quite confused at what you mean... trypsin and chymotrypsin are proteases. Trail mix should be mostly carbohydrates therefore it was you pancreatic amylases that were not acting in time... :laugh:

Bring it on AAMC, bring it ON

Took AAMC 11 today..
PS: 11 I was sloppy with some of my answers , meaning that i under estimated some of the questions(one question away from 12)
VR 8 ( as usual)
BS 13 ( one question away from 14)
overall 32.. One more right in PS and One more right in BS my grade would have been 34
hopefully i will be more focused in the exam.. very ready content wise ..

I'm quite confused at what you mean... trypsin and chymotrypsin are proteases. Trail mix should be mostly carbohydrates therefore it was you pancreatic amylases that were not acting in time... :laugh:

Bring it on AAMC, bring it ON

Don't forget the peanuts.

I know I'll be so nervous on Saturday that I won't even feel hungry. If I try to eat, I'm likely going to just throw it up anyway.

I'm bringing a mountain dew and a protein bar to the test center. That will get me through 6 hours easily

I know I'll be so nervous on Saturday that I won't even feel hungry. If I try to eat, I'm likely going to just throw it up anyway.

I'm bringing a mountain dew and a protein bar to the test center. That will get me through 6 hours easily

Just a a friendly warning... if you have not been practicing AAMCs or other timed exams with caffeine, I urge you to be careful. Other people that did this on the real thing, for the most part, said they didn't like it and it made them feel jittery.

That includes coffee, energy drinks, tea and yes... soda ;)

Just a a friendly warning... if you have not been practicing AAMCs or other timed exams with caffeine, I urge you to be careful. Other people that did this on the real thing, for the most part, said they didn't like it and it made them feel jittery.

That includes coffee, energy drinks, tea and yes... soda ;)

I mostly just want soda since it helps take hunger away without eating. We'll see, maybe I'll bring a water too to be safe

Yes! Took aamc 11 WITHOUT using the pause button and got a 36!! So glad I could do it, granted some of you said this PS was supposed to be easier. I'm still happy. Hopefully I can do this on test day! I even had some time left so to go over my marked questions!

Yes! Took aamc 11 WITHOUT using the pause button and got a 36!! So glad I could do it, granted some of you said this PS was supposed to be easier. I'm still happy. Hopefully I can do this on test day! I even had some time left so to go over my marked questions!

You got the same score as me! And other than 6, that was definitely the hardest time-wise