The Official 5/12/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow May 12ers! I didn't see a thread for our test day and considering we are 5 weeks away, I decided to make one! I hope everyone's preparation is going well!

Members don't see this ad.

really really really? OMG I'm so happy! I was super worried about timing!! PS and BS was okay for me but verbal was a scramble, as usual though!
Oh no! I just realized I posted the wrong test =(, I took it was aamc 10, not 11! Still happy though!

Oh no! I just realized I posted the wrong test =(, I took it was aamc 10, not 11! Still happy though!
Hey! Now you got the same score as me! I felt the same way about verbal. Congrats. Here's to a repeat on Saturday.

Honestly, as long as I get above a 31 I'll be extatic!

Oh, and for after the test, I'm going to a wine tasting and then to a party for a friend of mine who just became a US citizen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Now you got the same score as me! I felt the same way about verbal. Congrats. Here's to a repeat on Saturday.

Oh, and for after the test, I'm going to a wine tasting and then to a party for a friend of mine who just became a US citizen.

Seconded... 31 or over and I'll be extremely relieved.

Congrats to you too!! Yes, please let us do as well on test day!!

Fun plans! Brings back memories of what seems like a million years ago when I could go out and not think about any type of studying in the back of my head! I'm going to visit my sister right after the test in philly, then visit mom for mother's day!

BTW we got the same break down too!

Anyone have a good resource for some last minute math practice?

Heard physics has been more calculations based than previous years and I think doing a set of problems with logarithms, unusual fraction estimates, pKa <--> Ka and such could be a high yield hour

Enginr, if there is a PS problem that you seem to think is remotely difficult, I bet 99.9% of us will get it wrong. The EK1001 books have some pretty crazy calculation questions if you have them laying around. I sort of gave up on mine and have been using Kaplan instead. I think most of their topical and section tests are calculation heavy compared to the AAMC ones. I really hope our PS section will be more conceptual based, my math skills aren't so great and calculations always slow me down.

Because I've been dressing like a frump lady all month, once the MCAT is over I'm going shopping and having a girl day. Oh yea and studying the effects of EtOH consumption on ADH. Plus I had my parents hold onto my credit card so I would stop online shopping when I was supposed to be studying sooo I can get that back too! Life will be great!

Anyone have a good resource for some last minute math practice?

Heard physics has been more calculations based than previous years and I think doing a set of problems with logarithms, unusual fraction estimates, pKa <--> Ka and such could be a high yield hour
I'm surprised you are even worried about this section. Have you gotten anything below a 13?? Seriously though, I was looking for the same thing but haven't found anything online. For me though, this is a legit concern, haha.

for the record... I did get one 12 :p

But the thing is, if this puppy has a whole lot of math, I don't know how that will fly with my flow.

Just a a friendly warning... if you have not been practicing AAMCs or other timed exams with caffeine, I urge you to be careful. Other people that did this on the real thing, for the most part, said they didn't like it and it made them feel jittery.

That includes coffee, energy drinks, tea and yes... soda ;)

I drank a beer before taking #11 and it was one of my best scores. But I don't think the testing center will be keen on my bringing a Heinneken to drink during my test. hahaha

And just reviewed by #11. I legitimately could've gotten a 15 on my BS section. I literally mismarked two questions ... xD Hope I don't make these mistakes come test day.

I think I am officially done studying. I feel so ridiculously unprepared. Like can't remember basic trig unprepared. Like yesterday I realized I forgot that guanine pairs with cytosine and not adenine unprepared.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is my last time passing by here before the test..
Good luck everyone
Lets do this MCAT

woke up extra early today so I wont have trouble falling asleep tonight. feel the uncontrolable urge to review all my notes but risk the chance of being brain dead tom. Gunna try and take it easy today, maybe even leave the house see the sun, it's been awhile.

I feel unprepared even though i've done well on practice test. Guess the biggest thing I can focus on now is making sure I read the questions carefully, always miss 2 or three easy points because I miss read the prob. Just gunna go in confident and know that the answers are right in front of me. Best of luck everyone, can't wait till it's over.

Enginr, if there is a PS problem that you seem to think is remotely difficult, I bet 99.9% of us will get it wrong. The EK1001 books have some pretty crazy calculation questions if you have them laying around. I sort of gave up on mine and have been using Kaplan instead. I think most of their topical and section tests are calculation heavy compared to the AAMC ones. I really hope our PS section will be more conceptual based, my math skills aren't so great and calculations always slow me down.

Because I've been dressing like a frump lady all month, once the MCAT is over I'm going shopping and having a girl day. Oh yea and studying the effects of EtOH consumption on ADH. Plus I had my parents hold onto my credit card so I would stop online shopping when I was supposed to be studying sooo I can get that back too! Life will be great!

I'm a 5/24ther creeping on this thread but can i say YESS i cannot wait to go shopping again. No more freaking sweatshirts and lazy hair!

Just finished a quick run through of all my notes. Then I put all my Books, notes, and flash cards in the closet and shut the door. I'll be honest. It felt good. :)

24 hours till we're free. Good luck.

Woke up at 5:30 and got up at 6, felt buzzed, went on a bike ride, mowed someone's lawn, packed up, and will be driving 3 hrs this afternoon to the hotel. Feel like you forgot every thing? Don't worry, you actually remember it but imagination can really play tricks.
Everyone can do it, including the retakers. Don't hit the void button unless you didn't finish.... you have no idea what you scored because it is scaled.
I was at starbucks the other night with 2 med students. That was their advice. They both retook theirs.

One more huge hoop for the little monkeys that will eventually become "compassionate/beyond their game" allopathic and osteopathic doctors.

Just want to wish everyone the best of luck tomorrow! A little nervous but happy that we're finally here. We've prepared a long time for this! Everyone, get a restful sleep tonight!!

I think my emotions r runing via simple harmonic motion with the ocasional freq change. One min i'm fine the next i'm spazin, not really but just ready to get it over with. AHHHhhh

I think my emotions r runing via simple harmonic motion with the ocasional freq change. One min i'm fine the next i'm spazin, not really but just ready to get it over with. AHHHhhh

This is me signing out for the night. I want to wish you all the best of luck. We are all prepared and we have all done extremely well. This is just another practice exam. Remember there is going to be at least that one passage that is crazy, don't let it phase you. You know it's coming and the answers are right in front of you :D You got it!

Be confident, take a deep breath, and congrats... you all are my future colleagues.... future doctors

:luck::luck::luck::luck:

West Coaster here. About to leave soon for the testing center. I'll in the testing room while you guys are taking it. Hope you guys ALL did fine.

Can't wait to celebrate after .... by studying for my NBIO test on Tuesday. :laugh:

I feel cheated, almost to the extent of violated and more demoralized than I have probably ever felt before. I feel the past 4 months have been a money making ruse.

Okay we might have different versions of exam
PS: it was not bad... didn't have any time to review predicted 12

VR: One of the hardest verbal sections i have ever done, iam usually not good in verbal .. prediction ( maximum grade is 6 )

BS: Very Challenging and long, had to rush at the end.. prediction (11)

Anyways I voided guys.. yes i voided.. Iam very disappointed and I hate myself right now..
The verbal did not give me any break and was not fair to me , and i didn't do splendid in Bio to cover up

Glad it's over....ran out of time on the physical sciences section though. Probably had to completely guess on the last 5 or so, hope it won't bring down my score too much

Physical: Thought this section was pretty tough. Simple concepts presented in different ways.

Verbal: Tough. Even the easier to read passages had tough questions where I was stuck picking between two choices.

Bio: I would say Orgo heavy, at least 2 passages worth and quite a few discretes. Bio passages were not typical physio or genetic based, very experimental! Thought Bio was very tough. Especially Bio discretes, usually I answer those with ease but felt these were pretty tough.

My girlfriend just took it and said it was ok, but alot of tough questions. She said she's hoping for a 29 or 30, but she's been getting 35-37s on the Kaplan FLs and low 30s in the AAMCs so I hope for the best for her and all of you. BE RELIEVED THAT IT'S OVER!

Physical: Thought this section was pretty tough. Simple concepts presented in different ways.

Verbal: Tough. Even the easier to read passages had tough questions where I was stuck picking between two choices.

Bio: I would say Orgo heavy, at least 2 passages worth and quite a few discretes. Bio passages were not typical physio or genetic based, very experimental! Thought Bio was very tough. Especially Bio discretes, usually I answer those with ease but felt these were pretty tough.
I think we took the same exam.. same feelings

Definitely killed the WS!

Seconded... I actually wrote an essay for once.

Did anyone else find themselves guessing a lot more than usual. And what the heck was that bio passage. Holy hell.

Orgo is absolutely my jam and that orgo was way beyond what is usually asked?!

Yes more guessing than normal. I will pray that we all picked the right answers on our guesses. Nothing to do now, just take a couple of days of doing nothing med school related then come back with a vengence to kill the application and wow them with your heart and soul...

I'm assuming we got different tests

PS: Absolutely ridiculously killer, heavy questions in 2 passages that were mentioned as very very minor topics in my materials, while it felt 90% of the high yield topics were not mentioned. Seriously feel cheated by this section, just hoping for a generous curve.

VR: Thought it was reasonable and this is usually the scariest section for me. I'm assuming the people above who said it was difficult got a different set of passages.

BS: Thought it was ok. 1 question asked about something I had never heard before. I just looked up a different question that I got wrong...sucks. I need to stop doing this to myself

AAMC averages were in the mid 30s. I am hoping for a 33, but that PS section has me doubting it will happen. I usually finish AAMCs with 20 minutes left and enough time to go over my my whole exam. I finished the PS with about 5 mins left and 5 blank questions, and ended up guessing 3 of them. Lots of other questions marked I never got to look at. I'm a retaker too so it sucks. I wanted to void this so badly but the VR and BS gave me just enough hope of pulling a respectable score. It absolutely eats away at me to spend soooo much time preparing for this exam, just to have a curveball thrown at me on test day. If I had more time I would just keep rescheduling exams and voiding until I felt comfortable with a test.

**** the MCAT. Absolutely useless ****ing test. Now I have to get an app together while I wake up every morning for the next month with a headache thinking about this test.

So dumb, bought a beer and drank it on the way home.
Freaking proctor lady started cleaning computers and spraying amoniam all over during my WS, got dizzy and almost passed out. Thats not right.

Anyway I thought PS was pretty easy, there was one tough pass but overall very basic in my opinion.

Verbal, hea definitly guessed on 39 and knew 1. Have no idea what I was reading totally brain fog.

BS, I thought the questions were basic but there was no definitive answer that made you feel like oh I got that right, def felt like I was guessing alot during bio, I think we had the same test Enginier, I had no Idea what they were talking about on that Bio passage, If I had 30 min prob coulda figured it out. I didn't think there was alot of orgo i wish there was thats straight forward easy points.

Best prediction 12/7/10
Worst pred 10/5/7

I'm assuming we got different tests

PS: Absolutely ridiculously killer, heavy questions in 2 passages that were mentioned as very very minor topics in my materials, while it felt 90% of the high yield topics were not mentioned. Seriously feel cheated by this section, just hoping for a generous curve.

VR: Thought it was reasonable and this is usually the scariest section for me. I'm assuming the people above who said it was difficult got a different set of passages.

BS: Thought it was ok. 1 question asked about something I had never heard before. I just looked up a different question that I got wrong...sucks. I need to stop doing this to myself

AAMC averages were in the mid 30s. I am hoping for a 33, but that PS section has me doubting it will happen. I usually finish AAMCs with 20 minutes left and enough time to go over my my whole exam. I finished the PS with about 5 mins left and 5 blank questions, and ended up guessing 3 of them. Lots of other questions marked I never got to look at. I'm a retaker too so it sucks. I wanted to void this so badly but the VR and BS gave me just enough hope of pulling a respectable score. It absolutely eats away at me to spend soooo much time preparing for this exam, just to have a curveball thrown at me on test day. If I had more time I would just keep rescheduling exams and voiding until I felt comfortable with a test.

**** the MCAT. Absolutely useless ****ing test. Now I have to get an app together while I wake up every morning for the next month with a headache thinking about this test.

I'm pretty sure we are the same exact person...

PS- Thought it was very tricky at times.
VR- My weakest section. Thought it was very difficult.
WS- No one cares.
BS- Kind of confusing not to mention I was spent.

Hoping for above a 28, but that VR probably killed my hopes. Might need a new liver by tomorrow.

Last edited:
PS: Most of it were fairly straightforward questions with only a handful of tricky, yet still solvable questions when given an extra minute. That first passage threw me for a loop when I first saw it but it turned out to be very basic concept recall. Random math manipulations were always my biggest weakness, so I hope I didn't trip up on too many questions, although all my answers for those certainly looked right. But, I COMPLETELY agree about the one passage which, if anything, was de-emphasized in all of my review material. Luckily, I had a vague idea of what was going on because I remember audibly going "What the hell is this?" a month or so ago when I encountered it during the one and only practice passage that ever brought it up. At the end of the day, that passage was also fairly simple - I just had no idea what it was even asking, at first.

VR: Lucked out in getting a whole slew of passages I actually enjoyed reading and learning about. For me, there was really only one completely esoteric passage topic that I forced myself to slog through. Usually, there's three or four. Finished with around 5 minutes left, which never happens. Fairly confident in all of my answers minus maybe one or two.

BS: Was doing swimmingly well, 25 minutes or so minutes left going into the second to last passage, and, oh boy. Luckily, the final passage and last set of discretes were all really straightforward, because I definitely only had 5 or so minutes left to answer them after spending the majority of my time on the previous passage. Made one or two stupid mistakes that I instantly realized the second I walked out of the room. One of them was, regrettably, one of those "30 seconds left oh man which of the two choices is it?!" under pressure changes... sigh. Hopefully, I read those last 10 or so questions right and didn't mark any silly answers on them. Definitely could have used even another minute or two on that, but everything before that passage wasn't too bad, especially considering the "new" direction the MCAT is obviously going with their BS.

Before I become incapable to writing...
PS: Actually thought it was very similar to AAMC exams but I'm sure I made dumb mistakes.
VR: Not my cup of tea at all. The passages themselves weren't too hard to read but the questions were very tricky. I think the AAMC picked the 7 most boring passages they could for our test. So easy for to stop paying attention and space out. At least I finished in time so thats a plus!
BS: wtf? I thought it was difficult and I guess more orgo heavy than some of the AAMC exams. A few tricky discretes and 1 big wtf passage with a few other wtf passages and then maybe 2 I felt confident in. BS is usually my strongest.

O yea and for writing, I forgot to save one of my essays. The computer automatically saves them right?

My av going in was a 32 but I feel like I probably did worse just due to stress. Oh well, now the waiting game begins. Congrats everyone, despite how you feel you did be proud you just sat through one of the most difficult tests out there! Shots all around!

PS: Most of it were fairly straightforward questions with only a handful of tricky, yet still solvable questions when given an extra minute. That first passage threw me for a loop when I first saw it but it turned out to be very basic concept recall. Random math manipulations were always my biggest weakness, so I hope I didn't trip up on too many questions, although all my answers for those certainly looked right. But, I COMPLETELY agree about the one passage which, if anything, was de-emphasized in all of my review material. Luckily, I had a vague idea of what was going on because I remember audibly going "What the hell is this?" a month or so ago when I encountered it during the one and only practice passage that ever brought it up. At the end of the day, that passage was also fairly simple - I just had no idea what it was even asking, at first.

VR: Lucked out in getting a whole slew of passages I actually enjoyed reading and learning about. For me, there was really only one completely esoteric passage topic that I forced myself to slog through. Usually, there's three or four. Finished with around 5 minutes left, which never happens. Fairly confident in all of my answers minus maybe one or two.

BS: Was doing swimmingly well, 25 minutes or so minutes left going into the second to last passage, and, oh boy. Luckily, the final passage and last set of discretes were all really straightforward, because I definitely only had 5 or so minutes left to answer them after spending the majority of my time on the previous passage. Made one or two stupid mistakes that I instantly realized the second I walked out of the room. One of them was, regrettably, one of those "30 seconds left oh man which of the two choices is it?!" under pressure changes... sigh. Hopefully, I read those last 10 or so questions right and didn't mark any silly answers on them. Definitely could have used even another minute or two on that, but everything before that passage wasn't too bad, especially considering the "new" direction the MCAT is obviously going with their BS.

THAT PASSAGE was pretty insane. And def agree with the BIO section going towards experimental based passages.