The Official 5/21/2011 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sacha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone! I'm taking the test on 21st may and looking for fellow test takers:) I just started studying today...

Members don't see this ad.

Count me in! I am starting to study tomorrow. Maybe since we are starting at the same time we can help each other stay motivated. What is your study plan?

Count me in! I am starting to study tomorrow. Maybe since we are starting at the same time we can help each other stay motivated. What is your study plan?

hey! I just started reading the EK bio book. And I'm using BR for the rest. I'm gonna review subject by subject, starting with bio. I find it easier that way, though its not a popular choice. what about you?

Planning on the 21st, but might move to 20th so I can visit my alma mater for reunion weekend.

I started studying in early jan using the big fat kaplan book and sped read that so I could take a practice exam in early feb. Started using EK in early feb and I'm a little more than 1/3 of the way through. Right on track!

Come join us in the MCAT Twitter thread!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hey! I just started reading the EK bio book. And I'm using BR for the rest. I'm gonna review subject by subject, starting with bio. I find it easier that way, though its not a popular choice. what about you?

I am using the same materials. I think I am going to review Bio completely first and then alternate days between the chemistries and physics.

And I don't even know how to use Twitter lol, but I will definitely be checking this forum to stay in touch!

I am using the same materials. I think I am going to review Bio completely first and then alternate days between the chemistries and physics.

And I don't even know how to use Twitter lol, but I will definitely be checking this forum to stay in touch!

I was talking about this thread (called the MCAT twitter thread). It's basically a studying progress/motivation thread.

Link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=798811

I'm thinking about signing up for the May 21 date tonight but after reading this thread. I think I may be too behind already! I'm taking Biochem, Human Vert and College Lit as well. What do you guys think, would you wait another few months?

The next available date after May 21 is August but I really don't want to wait that long..

I'm thinking about signing up for the May 21 date tonight but after reading this thread. I think I may be too behind already! I'm taking Biochem, Human Vert and College Lit as well. What do you guys think, would you wait another few months?

The next available date after May 21 is August but I really don't want to wait that long..

I think may is the last time you can take the exam if you want to get your apps in 'early'.

awesome to meet everyone:) i checked out the studying progress thread, but it scared me a little since I only just started! goodluck with the studying, I most definitely need it.

I think may is the last time you can take the exam if you want to get your apps in 'early'.

I think you should just jump on the this train, if you are applying for 2012. We still have about 3 months, keep calm and start studying:) There are people who have started earlier but others have yet to start. You're not alone.

I think you should just jump on the this train, if you are applying for 2012. We still have about 3 months, keep calm and start studying:) There are people who have started earlier but others have yet to start. You're not alone.

I think you meant to quote the other person.

I started studying in Jan with the real review beginning in Feb...

(Not that duration means anything...)

I think you meant to quote the other person.

I started studying in Jan with the real review beginning in Feb...

(Not that duration means anything...)

haha. yeah, sorry! my earlier reply was for RainyDays. I think its awesome that you started in Jan though:)

I signed up for the 20th. Have been just light studying nothing too intense yet but I will be getting starting this week. Good luck to everyone and hopefully we can all motivated each other.

Hey all. I'm registered for the MCAT on 5/21.

Started studying yesterday. I'm not creating that strict of a schedule, but I do have a few goals -

1) 30 hours of quality studying per week.
2) Complete content review by ~April 16th (which would include practice passages from EK Bio and TBR).

My materials -

Biology - EK Bio, supplementing with my freshman Biology text (mainly for physiology, as I never took physiology, and truly doubt EK would be sufficient in that regard).

Ochem - Organic Chemistry as a Second Language, versions 1 and 2. Will go through the AMCAS list of Ochem topics and will study those sections in these books.

Physics - TBR and Nova.

Gen Chem - TBR.

Verbal - EK 101. Plan on doing 2 exams per week, which should last around 5 weeks. Will start to do these next week, and by the time I finish the book, it should be early - mid April, which is when I plan to start full lengths.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all

I am taking it at 8 AM.

I am currently in a Kaplan Class. Started back in January to study, but started as light study and beginning to ramp it up for the test.

hey guys, i'm brand new to sdn and glad i found this thread. the next two and a half months are gonna be stressful. i'm using EK and wikipremed.

:cool: let's do this ! I have a good feeling about this test. Remember, it is the courage to continue that counts. Dont get discouraged no matter how much you struggle at first.:idea:

Update on my progress: I started studying last week and have read through 7 out of the 9 EK bio chapters. I feel like I have a much better understanding of it all than I did the first time I took the test. I'm ready to be dedicated and rock this! Two and a half months left!

How is everyone's studying going?

Can't find the thread for 20 May, going to post in this one instead. :cool:

I think we should combine them anyway. We're all going to find out at the same time and I doubt anyone's going to want to post the day they took their test.

Hopefully they don't just so they can wait a day and not freak out the people taking it on the 21st.

I know where you're going to find me the night after my test!

Update on my progress: I started studying last week and have read through 7 out of the 9 EK bio chapters. I feel like I have a much better understanding of it all than I did the first time I took the test. I'm ready to be dedicated and rock this! Two and a half months left!

hey, I just completed reviewing the ek bio. You're quick! i took 2 weeks to review and memorise everything. You're almost done in just one week. good job! Starting on chemistry today...

hey, I just completed reviewing the ek bio. You're quick! i took 2 weeks to review and memorise everything. You're almost done in just one week. good job! Starting on chemistry today...

Are you guys on break or something?

I'm on like chapter five and I started a month and a half ago. Though I'm doing Phys, Chem, Bio, and verbal at the same time. Will add orgo in shortly.

As far as books go. I just picked up all the EK 1001 books and 101 verbal. Also bought NOVA physics because I'm ambivalent about EK Physics.

Nova looks awesome. I'm excited to start using it, though I might finish with Ek first to get the concepts down and then drill with nova.

Are you guys on break or something?

I'm on like chapter five and I started a month and a half ago. Though I'm doing Phys, Chem, Bio, and verbal at the same time. Will add orgo in shortly.

As far as books go. I just picked up all the EK 1001 books and 101 verbal. Also bought NOVA physics because I'm ambivalent about EK Physics.

Nova looks awesome. I'm excited to start using it, though I might finish with Ek first to get the concepts down and then drill with nova.

I'm working but I literally brought that damn book everywhere with me. I was able to finish in that time cause I focused only on bio! Have decided to alternate physics and chemistry from today... I don't want to have too rude a shock when I combine knowledge from all the subjects for a practice test.

hey all - I'm just joining in. I'm a retaker hoping to bump up my score. Good luck to all! Try not to stress but just enjoy this MCAT craziness for the short time we have to go through it! :)

hey all - I'm just joining in. I'm a retaker hoping to bump up my score. Good luck to all! Try not to stress but just enjoy this MCAT craziness for the short time we have to go through it! :)

I'm a retaker too. I really need to increase my score so hopefully this will be the last time I have to deal with this exam. Good luck!

hey guys I'll be joining in too! Started studying couple weeks ago with examkrackers. Kinda going slow with school stuff on top

I'm using examkrackers too and I finished bio, organic. I'm halfway through gen chem, started verbal, and haven't touched physics yet.

is anyone using princeton review materials? i'm thinking about buying some of their books to supplement EK.

I'm a retaker using TBR and EK. Good luck everyone!

I read through it all over the course of a whole month last spring and got very familiar with it. I have forgotten some but I just read through it quickly to refresh myself this time. You probably know a lot more specifics than me! I am going for a more holistic understanding this time around.

I'm not on break but now that I am starting to go over new subjects (since bio was ALL I studied last time around:eek:) it is definitely going slower. I started the BR this week and have read Physics Module 1 and Chem Modules 1 and 2 so far as well as done the corresponding practice passages listed in BerkReviewTeach's schedule.

I am finding that on some passages I do very well while on others I do awful even though I just read the chapter. Is this common? How are the rest of you doing?

I am using Kaplan Online Class as well as additional review with the EK package. I feel that I am behind in some subjects but ahead in others.

I'm in this too...using examkrackers...working through physics and gen chem content review because i'm lost in those subjects (esp the later chapters) and got the 1001 questions to go with them. verbal i'm doing okay on the practice tests (10/11s) and i'm taking organic now so i'm gonna wait a couple of weeks before I start that. I flipped through some of the bio and since i'm already a pa, i know more than half the chapter's content already so that will be last. took an aamc practice test and would like another 5 points before the real exam- just over 2 months- we got this!

Just registered for May 20th :):confused::scared:

I've gotten through EK Gen Chem (ugh, hate hate hate gen. chem) and now I'm on orgo. I feel confident about verbal and bio, so I'll start on physics next...

i officially changed to the 21st of may from april 9th.

Do you guys think I should get BR Chem/Physics/Orgo after I burn through the TPR/EK 1001s? or should I just do all kaplan 1-11 FLs instead?

Hello everyone! I just signed up for the 21st, which is the day after my birthday, but I think that will give me a time to relax before the test day. I am retaking.

My prep has included the Kaplan course, which started in January but I have no been keeping up with everything so you can say my motivated/serious studying started Monday lol. I am starting with 3 hours per day but I wish it was more... sitting inside is such a bore so I am hoping the weather starts getting better (TN) so I can study in my hammock. haha

Also, I have all the 1001 EK books and the 101 Verbal. For those that are using them, how are you?--- Are you learning the material and then going over subject by subject...? I am working on content review right now. I am almost done with physics. I am also taking my first full length this week.

So, yeah. I guess I am doing content review, 1001 books, and full lengths to prepare.

Sorry for the rambling. :)

I would study the material in a prep book and do passages/practice even if you think you know the material well and it's fresh. You'll likely learn a few important conceptual things.

Just found out i have to push my test date up to 7th May cause i'm being posted overseas for work mid may! bloody stressed out! oh well, farewell guys. should go join the may 7th troop. and hit the books alot harder. 2 weeks seem like a world of difference to me now.

Good luck everyone, I am so freaking scared. Studying and a full time job is not fun!

Good luck everyone, I am so freaking scared. Studying and a full time job is not fun!
i work full time too and it is not easy coz am exhausted when i get home from work and can only study EFFICIENTLY for an hour or two..i try to at least study for an hour before work and a little review during lunch but doesn't always work out. I study the most only on weekends..
good luck lets keep pushing forward and working harder and am sure we can do it :)

I work full-time, have full-time classes, and am taking the MCAT on May 21st as well. I am terrified... Is anyone else on here taking the test in MN?

Is there anyone who thinks the exams from EK, kaplan, TPR, etc. are better prep than the aamc practice tests? The aamc practice tests seem to most closely mimic the actual MCAT and there are almost ten of them. Although I do like the EK notes so I'm not ruling it out completely. I've taken the actual MCAT once, did fairly well. Wondering about yall's opinions? :ninja:

I also work full time. I try to study when I get home from work but sometimes it doesn't work out so well. I do use majority of my weekends to study. I'm just hoping this will be the last time I have to study for this exam.

Hey guys, I just switched over from the 4/16 club because I needed more time to practice passages before cramming the full lengths in my busy schedule. I hope this extra time helps.

Just took aamc 3 and got a 7 on PS :confused::( but an easy 12 on VR :). I was really good at gen chem and physics when I took them, so its frustrating to get that low of a score... sigh...back to reviewing....