The Official 5/21/2011 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sacha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone! I'm taking the test on 21st may and looking for fellow test takers:) I just started studying today...

Members don't see this ad.

In an attempt to right the ship here...

People who are retaking; what practice material did you use and what are you planning on using this time around?

I used Kaplan first time around. I am retaking 7/29

I plan on picking up a Princeton Review verbal book, BR genchem and physics, maybe some EK1001's

I have Kaplan FL: 5,6,7,8,9,10,11 AAMC: 3,4,5,7 left to take if I want them

Which tests do you guys recommend taking?

People who are retaking; what practice material did you use and what are you planning on using this time around?

I plan on picking up a Princeton Review verbal book, BR genchem and physics, maybe some EK1001's

Take all of them (practice exams).... trust me you will need it.
If you must in my opinion AAMC 7 had the best PS, AAMC 5 had the best BS.
Kaplan FL 9-11 are outrageously hard but looking back at my 05/20 exam I think that might actually be a good thing. Rest I took all AAMC and 5,6,7 and 8 and still only scored a 29 so I might not be the best guy to be giving advice but hey w/e helps.

While I agree this is not a URM thread...

Standards have been lowered not just for URMs but for everyone. All I hear attendings say... "Things aren't the way they used to be, everyone's gone soft. Back in my day, doing 40 hours of call was normal and you never complained."

That being said, affirmative action is necessary and detrimental to society. If it were enacted properly, it's a wonderful idea in theory. But like with anything it's flawed.

Providing education to those who will go to serve underserved populations is AWESOME. However, some adcoms (from what I've heard), have a formula... we need 14 black students in our class of 200 this year. That is NOT how things should be done. You can't FORCE diversity.

/end rant

Members don't see this ad :)

For my 35S, over the course of 4 months I:

read all of TPR Hyper learning books, did the majority of passages and all multiple choice in the science workbook, I did not really prep at all for writing or verbal. I took every AAMC test but one, I only did the verbal on the two most recent CBTs. No class, I did it myself whenever I had time. Also I took a week off three weeks before the exam for a cruise - a nice break might not be a bad idea to loosen up. I took one practice test while on the ship.

Standards have been lowered not just for URMs but for everyone. All I hear attendings say... "Things aren't the way they used to be, everyone's gone soft. Back in my day, doing 40 hours of call was normal and you never complained."

That being said, affirmative action is necessary and detrimental to society. If it were enacted properly, it's a wonderful idea in theory. But like with anything it's flawed.

Providing education to those who will go to serve underserved populations is AWESOME. However, some adcoms (from what I've heard), have a formula... we need 14 black students in our class of 200 this year. That is NOT how things should be done. You can't FORCE diversity.

/end rant

Everyone says that about everything.

When I was your age, I also had to walk uphill both ways to get to school. In the snow. Wearing a t-shirt and shorts and flip flops because my parents were too poor to buy anything else.

But seriously, less patients die because residents don't make stupid mistakes when they're delirious from lack of sleep.

If anything, the system needs to be overhauled. The fact that people don't have to work for 2 days straight is not the problem...

Retaking. Hoping to improve by atleast 2 points. 3-5 points is the goal.

Practice material first time: EK, kaplan, and Nova.
All AAMC Exams all TBR exams.

This time around: EK for bio, Nova/TBR for physics, TBR for chem, TBR for Orgo (I think).

Will use TPR science and verbal workbook + some of the EK 101 exams I have left.

I had my content down last time, but screwed up timing. Got an orgo heavy BS and faltered.

Won't make the same mistake twice. I know the material and I'll probably start light review in sept/oct with EK 1001 and reading. Nov/Dec/Jan will spent hitting the books hard and doing only passages and going back if I totally mess something up.

Goal is to be able to do passages in my sleep. That and to know the material well enough to be able to get 100% right when I'm drunk.

Seriously.

Not sure what I'm going to do for tests. It'll have been like 8 months, so I might retake the AAMC's just to practice timing etc. The scores won't mean jack.

The big decision I need to make is whether I want to do NOVA for physics or TBR. I got an 11 the first time around, so I might stick to nova but use TBR to kick ass in chem. OTOH the TBR passages are better, but I have NOVA and TPR at my disposal so I think I'll be okay.

Decisions Decisions.

31Q and thrilled even though my PS sucked (8), I'm not retaking
VR 11 PS 8 BS 12
Side note, my AAMC average was 29 and I never did above a 30.
I havent' taken physics 2 yet

Same exact score, even the writing. Same exact AAMC average, too! We are twins. Only I haven't taken Gen Chem 2 yet. Should we worry about the 8 in PS? I like the overall, but would gladly shave a point off my Bio to make that PS a 9! Anyway, cheers to you.

By the way, I was certain I would get a 10 in PS and an 8 in Bio. Just goes to show. Most of that ORGO had to be experimental.

31Q MCAT on 5/21 - Worried about ECs
Hey people!
Just looking for other people's insight right now. I graduated with an Exercise Science degree from a selective liberal arts institution in Missouri.
I got a 31Q (11VR, 10BS, 10PS) on the 5/21 MCAT and have a 3.8 GPA and 3.85 sGPA. I know my MCAT and GPA should be decent enough to get me in somewhere, but I'm mostly worried about my ECs.

ECs:
-4 years NCAA Div. II Men's Basketball (30 hrs/week) during school year.
-Organized and played a benefit concert for Haiti. Also played in fundraiser for local pregnancy resource center.
-Lead guitar for church worship team - Summers since 2006.
-Mission trip to Mexico - Summer 2007
-Undergraduate Work Experience - 35-40 hours/week during summers at retail stores.
-Some short term volunteering in community at school. (special olympics, YMCA after school car, three on three volunteer referee for youth organization, school community service event)
-AMSA - underclassman mentor, pre-medical committee
-Shadowing (Last summer) - 72 hours oncologist, 15 hours surgeon (this summer)
-Volunteer basketball coach (this summer).

Sorry I know this is a lot to read but any insight is extremely helpful! Any suggested schools too? Going to apply to Missouri-Columbia, St. Louis University for sure. THANKS!!

Hey people!
Just looking for other people's insight right now. I graduated with an Exercise Science degree from a selective liberal arts institution in Missouri.
I got a 31Q (11VR, 10BS, 10PS) on the 5/21 MCAT and have a 3.8 GPA and 3.85 sGPA. I know my MCAT and GPA should be decent enough to get me in somewhere, but I'm mostly worried about my ECs.

ECs:
-Organized and played a benefit concert for Haiti. Also played in fundraiser for local pregnancy resource center.
-Undergraduate Work Experience - 35-40 hours/week during summers at retail stores.
-Some short term volunteering in community at school. (special olympics, YMCA after school car, three on three volunteer referee for youth organization, school community service event)

Sorry I know this is a lot to read but any insight is extremely helpful! Any suggested schools too? Going to apply to Missouri-Columbia, St. Louis University for sure. THANKS!!

Are you a Truman alum?

Hey people!

ECs:

you have to be kidding me! Just start some clinical volunteering and you are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
you have to be kidding me! Just start some clinical volunteering and you are fine.

I was feeling okay about my application until I posted in the "What are my chances" section. And some dude said I should not even bother applying this year. So they're kind of freaking me out

I was feeling okay about my application until I posted in the "What are my chances" section. And some dude said I should not even bother applying this year. So they're kind of freaking me out

That's because clinical volunteering is considered a must, shadowing doctors is as well, and you have plenty of that, but your chances would increase dramatically if you had say, 200-300 hours of volunteering at a hospital or two. In my state, most people who are serious do upward of 500 hours of clinical, and one of the med schools I'm looking at requires 800 hours of clinical volunteering (granted they're the easiest to get into, otherwise.)

I'd like to know this too... I've got like 900. But sheesh that was over 4 years.

From several sources I've heard that Michigan State University requires it, that being said, it was word of mouth. I've heard it from several different friends, including one who got into MSU, but never from an official source. I tried to look for the reqs online, but couldnt find any about clinical reqs. It might just be something that MSU counselors tell students that are trying to get into MSU.

i am glad the mcat is done and got my score.

randomly woke up and worked on my app.

back to sleep.

should i post up my activities and PS on mdapps? or should i wait until secondaries are over?

/end rant

Why ADCOMS can't hold 14 spots for URM students. I think they should do that in order to increase diversity. You can't have a class of ONLY ASIANS, CAUCAUSIANS and INDIANS because that's not the whole patient population. URM are really under represented and it is hard for some of us to get into medical school because of our GPAs and MCAT scores. Statistically, African-Americans MCAT average is a 23-24 compared to Whites/Asians which is a 30-32, that is a big difference!

But then again I am a URM and I don't see any URM taking any spots since it's like 3 to 5 of us in medical school out of 200 seats.

/end rant

Why ADCOMS can't hold 14 spots for URM students. I think they should do that in order to increase diversity. You can't have a class of ONLY ASIANS, CAUCAUSIANS and INDIANS because that's not the whole patient population. URM are really under represented and it is hard for some of us to get into medical school because of our GPAs and MCAT scores. Statistically, African-Americans MCAT average is a 23-24 compared to Whites/Asians which is a 30-32, that is a big difference!

But then again I am a URM and I don't see any URM taking any spots since it's like 3 to 5 of us in medical school out of 200 seats.

/end rant

In no way do I think you shouldn't have a class that is diverse. Nor did I allude to it. Do you think it's "fair" to let the following happen... true story btw

Candidate 1 - 3.2 cGPA, no SMP, 28 MCAT, URM, shady ECs, not much clinical volunteering, 2 clubs on campus, glowing LORs, never worked a day in their life, parents are well off.

Candidate 2 - 3.7 cGPA, 32 MCAT, great ECs with continuity, glowing LORs, and community involvement that would make mother teresa vomit (this person is also caucasian and has suffered the loss of their mother to cancer at the age of 12. This necessitated them working to support their education and get where they are)

Who are you giving the spot to? Personally I'm giving it to Candidate #2. But Candidate #2 actually got rejected from a few schools that Candidate #1 got into. Candidate #1 openly admits, yeah if I wasn't a URM, I wouldn't have a chance in hell.

So my song and dance is basically this, yeah these URMs are VERY important, but in no way should the color of your skin out shadow your performance and dedication to medicine.

I hope I'm not #2 this cycle !:scared:

In no way do I think you shouldn't have a class that is diverse. Nor did I allude to it. Do you think it's "fair" to let the following happen... true story btw

Candidate 1 - 3.2 cGPA, no SMP, 28 MCAT, URM, shady ECs, not much clinical volunteering, 2 clubs on campus, glowing LORs, never worked a day in their life, parents are well off.

Candidate 2 - 3.7 cGPA, 32 MCAT, great ECs with continuity, glowing LORs, and community involvement that would make mother teresa vomit (this person is also caucasian and has suffered the loss of their mother to cancer at the age of 12. This necessitated them working to support their education and get where they are)

Who are you giving the spot to? Personally I'm giving it to Candidate #2. But Candidate #2 actually got rejected from a few schools that Candidate #1 got into. Candidate #1 openly admits, yeah if I wasn't a URM, I wouldn't have a chance in hell.

So my song and dance is basically this, yeah these URMs are VERY important, but in no way should the color of your skin out shadow your performance and dedication to medicine.

Retaking. Hoping to improve by atleast 2 points. 3-5 points is the goal.

Practice material first time: EK, kaplan, and Nova.
All AAMC Exams all TBR exams.

This time around: EK for bio, Nova/TBR for physics, TBR for chem, TBR for Orgo (I think).

Will use TPR science and verbal workbook + some of the EK 101 exams I have left.

I had my content down last time, but screwed up timing. Got an orgo heavy BS and faltered.

Won't make the same mistake twice. I know the material and I'll probably start light review in sept/oct with EK 1001 and reading. Nov/Dec/Jan will spent hitting the books hard and doing only passages and going back if I totally mess something up.

Goal is to be able to do passages in my sleep. That and to know the material well enough to be able to get 100% right when I'm drunk.

Seriously.

Not sure what I'm going to do for tests. It'll have been like 8 months, so I might retake the AAMC's just to practice timing etc. The scores won't mean jack.

The big decision I need to make is whether I want to do NOVA for physics or TBR. I got an 11 the first time around, so I might stick to nova but use TBR to kick ass in chem. OTOH the TBR passages are better, but I have NOVA and TPR at my disposal so I think I'll be okay.

Decisions Decisions.

I'd say you should use TBR for your content review, and anything you can find for problems.

Also, when you do the passages, do them under conditions more harsh than the actual test (i.e. 50-60 seconds per question).

I'll say it, politics ruined humanity. People want to be treated as equals, but they complain so much at the end of the day everything is always unequal.

I'd say you should use TBR for your content review, and anything you can find for problems.

Also, when you do the passages, do them under conditions more harsh than the actual test (i.e. 50-60 seconds per question).

Yeah, that's the intent. Every passage 7 mins max.

I think I'll use TBR for orgo mostly. I'll probably end up buying all the books. The resell value is fine and a little extra practice doesn't hurt.

I might have to use the TPR science workbook as well. Definitely focusing much more on passage practice this go around.

I almost want to start doing this again, but probably not till later this year.

I'll say it, politics ruined humanity. People want to be treated as equals, but they complain so much at the end of the day everything is always unequal.

I think the profession should reflect the demographic being treated as well. I think there might have been other reasons that the 3 might have been accepted.

There are plenty of URM candidates who would make fantastic doctors. You can't reduce it down to a score of 3 on VR. There was more to it. I think a lot of these stories are propagated by people who are pissed they didn't get in and think that a 'less qualified' applicant stole their spot.

Honestly, I would have accepted Candidate # 2 but what if Candidate #2 wasn't able to express themselves like candidate #1. Maybe the interview really X'd out #2, and #1 was able to Wow ADCOMS. There are a lot of smart people with wack personalities :(

I don't disagree that URM helps. AAMC published results based on GPA/MCAT and URMs with lower stats get in at a higher rate than others with lower stats, there's no counterargument, it is a FACT that being a URM helps.

However, while I would take Candidate #2 over #1 based on what you have presented, there's no way to know how Candidate #2 interviewed (if they interviewed). What you present on paper is only good to get you past initial and secondary screenings. IMO, everyone who interviews is on level playing ground -- If someone with a 3.9 and a 35 interviews poorly, while someone with a 3.5 and 28 interviews phenomenally, the 3.5/28 will probably get the spot over the 3.9/35. Everyone who gets an interview is basically deemed to be intelligent enough to be a physician, but ADCOMs also care about your personality and other unquantifiable intangibles.

Edit: Also, maybe #1 had a significantly higher sGPA? Did they go to the same undergrad?

/end rant

Can you blame being black on being unable to get higher then a 24? Whose fault is it that they got a 24? Only their own. If you get a 24 chances are it's because you didn't work your ass off I don't care what anyone says. I'm going to say the harsh truth that no one wants to hear. Urm status is complete bullcrap. Getting into medical school should be based on merit not skin color. To say that every black guy is poor and needs an extra boost is racism in itself. In reality, the only thing Urm status does and promote racism and segregation by having one group gaining more success from less work. Being black does not mean you automatically should have a low gpa. Chances are of your stats are low it's because of you not "racial barriers" what a joke. This isnt 1952. Discrimination isn't as common as people think. The only people that get profiled are the people that show their boxers by letting their pants sag. Whose fault is that? Societys? There comes a time when we have to stop blaming everyone but ourselves. Teachers don't see black people and think oh I'd really like to give him a f just because he's black. Good grief. You want to tell me Urm status is justified ok sure. Declare Caucasians as an Urm for five years and other races as over represented and I guarantee complains will arise about how its racism lol. And for the record being black and African American aren't the same thing. Just because your great great grandfather was born in Africa it doesn't make you African American.

This isnt 1952. Discrimination isn't as common as people think. The only people that get profiled are the people that show their boxers by letting their pants sag. Whose fault is that? Societys?

#Trayvon Martin

By the way, I have changed to this date.Hope everyone's studying is going well!

#Trayvon Martin

By the way, I have changed to this date.Hope everyone's studying is going well!

Such a shame that people have to pull the race card on that, when the guy that shot him had called 911 over 30 times in the past few months. I doubt all of them were black. Clearly he was just looking for trouble and demented, and even if it was about race it's a rather isolated incident. Our president is black, men are marrying men, etc. This is a rather liberal nation where you're free to do pretty much whatever you want within some reason. There will always be small incidents on race, but there are people that discriminate against white people just as there are people that discriminate black people.

I'm sad for his death, it was uncalled for. But you can't use his name to justify any cause; he was the victim of some deluded man with a gun. Sad, tragic story. The man should have never been allowed to carry a gun..

Alas, back to what this thread is about. I am studying for the MCAT using SN2ed's plan and anyone who needs a daily calendar for Google Calendar or iCal can PM me.

Last edited: