The Official 5/31/12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontrad777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking about taking this test but it seems a little late... I want to apply early. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
The score release is July 3rd I think? Not too late at all! Adcoms will just be looking things over at that point. Remember your app has to be verified and then sent to the schools first. They do not need your scores to do that. I say take it when you know you will be ready and get the highest score possible, May, June, July...doesn't matter. Just don't have doors shut in your face because your rushed it.

This is it guys, 106 more days until test day, this is more than enough time to destroy this test, lets do it!!!!!!!!

Hey folks. I was originally scheduled for the April 28th date, but decided to delay the MCAT to this date in favor of getting some degree requirements out of the way earlier. :luck: to you all! I will be balancing MCAT studying with school work.

How are you all preparing for the MCAT? Are you using a test prep course, home study, etc.? Which company are you using?

Last edited:
Registered last week with the original plan of 3/24. HA! Studying during the holidays was nil. Well no excuse now. I'm using SN2ed's suggested materials and schedule. Been studying on and off for a month. 2011 TPRH Verbal on the way - Woo hoo! BR Verbal is annoying. Good luck all!

~M

Members don't see this ad :)
How has the studying been going fellow 5/31ers? Coming up on 6 weeks left and I just want to get it over with. Moving into final content review phase then final practice test phase by May.

How are you all preparing for the MCAT? Are you using a test prep course, home study, etc.? Which company are you using?

i've started early using j co review's online animations. and my EK class starts right after finals week. some summer this will be!

Using TBR, I am slowly working through content review. Unfortunately, I wont be done with content review until the end of this month. When I started studying, I decided not to do any of the practice passages at the end of the chapters because I have learned that I am not good at remembering how to solve the problems during review.

However, I'm now really questioning that decision because I don't know if I will have time to work through the review passages + practice tests in a month. I also have EK 1001 books that I would like to work through, but it seems overly ambitious to me to do all three in such a short time. (Practice Tests + TBR End of Chapter Review Passages + EK books).

Hmm...

spikedsoymilk, I don't think that's too bad. If you take a practice test every four days, you can structure it like this:
Day 1: full length - Day 2: review test, log mistakes - Day 3: do corresponding PS BR passages for your weak areas from that full length - Day 4: do corresponding BS BR Passages of your weak areas from that full length - Repeat or insert break day

That way, you do FL's and passages, and you focus on your weak areas. Sometimes we just have to let go of the idea that "we need to do EVERYTHING". (I struggle with this). Do what you can. Good luck!!

spikedsoymilk, I don't think that's too bad. If you take a practice test every four days, you can structure it like this:
Day 1: full length - Day 2: review test, log mistakes - Day 3: do corresponding PS BR passages for your weak areas from that full length - Day 4: do corresponding BS BR Passages of your weak areas from that full length - Repeat or insert break day

That way, you do FL's and passages, and you focus on your weak areas. Sometimes we just have to let go of the idea that "we need to do EVERYTHING". (I struggle with this). Do what you can. Good luck!!

That's great advice. Thank you!!!

After pushing back my exam date multiple times, I think I finally settled down with 5/31! Ahh feels so much more real now that its official :(

Haha me too dnovikov, I pushed it back several times and I've been stressing for a while now, but it's going to feel great to be done with it, not counting the 4 weeks of torture waiting for the scores to get back, which is delayed because of the stupid essays which mean nothing and are being removed next year.

5 weeks left starting this Thursday!!!!

I've been studying since January, it's hard to believe it's so close now. I'm doing mostly practice questions now with one FL each weekend, but once finals are over I'll be doing one each Thursday plus a few extra here or there. Best of luck to everyone!

Anyone else taking it in Tampa? I took it in Tampa last August; kind of frustrated I have to show up at the same place and do it all over again:(

4 weeks from Thursday, how's everyone feeling? I was getting pretty crazy past few weeks but I'm calming down and starting to not worry so much about it. It's just a test, it won't be as hard as we think it is.

Sadly, I am still working on content review. I will take a practice test once that is over to assess whether this test date will work for me. I already am a switchover from April. Haha.

I so want this test date but none r available in California! Yikes...i hope someone cancels!

Yeah... I signed up for this date in December!! It was the EARLIEST date available in LA area... the other options were in like SF or something silly....

California has a bunch of pre-meds or something... or just not enough test centers.

So how are we all doing? I am switching to AAMC tests from Kaplan tests because I am convinced that Kaplan was overestimating my scores. Lo and behold, I took an AAMC test and its 3 points below my Kaplan average. (although, I did gun it and take AAMC#11, which is known to be the hardest...)

what do you guys think about this?

Postponed from April 28 to this date but have been busy with finals/papers that will be done on May 9. Have yet to do a full length yet and still stuck on content review...thinking I may need to push it back to June so that I can have uninterrupted studying time.

Yeah... I signed up for this date in December!! It was the EARLIEST date available in LA area... the other options were in like SF or something silly....

California has a bunch of pre-meds or something... or just not enough test centers.

So how are we all doing? I am switching to AAMC tests from Kaplan tests because I am convinced that Kaplan was overestimating my scores. Lo and behold, I took an AAMC test and its 3 points below my Kaplan average. (although, I did gun it and take AAMC#11, which is known to be the hardest...)

what do you guys think about this?

Yeah probably the jumping right into 11 thing. I took Kaplan 1-9 while finishing content review, my first 2 aamcs so far have both been above my kaplan average. Hopefully finishing the rest of them and continuing to hit weak points will make 11 not bad.

Hey guys, I figured I might as well join in the discussion here. Less than a month left and I'm definitely starting to feel the pressure

Postponed from April 28 to this date but have been busy with finals/papers that will be done on May 9. Have yet to do a full length yet and still stuck on content review...thinking I may need to push it back to June so that I can have uninterrupted studying time.

I am right there with you.

My concern if I pushed the test date back is that I would have to take the test in CA since I will be there for an internship this summer. However, I hear that testing seats are sparse out there. Meanwhile, I am hoping to apply this cycle, so I don't know how realistic it would be to balance AMCAS BS + Internship + MCAT.

Given all these issues, I am wondering if I should just wait to apply next year and push my MCAT back to the fall. On the other hand, I just turned 25 recently and I'd hate to wait another year to apply. At this rate, it looks like I might have to... :confused:

Hey guys, I figured I might as well join in the discussion here. Less than a month left and I'm definitely starting to feel the pressure

SAME HERE. I have gone over content review but when I took my first practice aamc I've realize how I need to still review thoroughly. AH!

I am feeling really discouraged. Anyone see scores go down rapidly? Or is it just the switch to AAMC tests? How am I back to the score that I was at baseline?!

5/8/12 AAMC #3 - 26
4/22/12 AAMC #11 - 28
4/8/12 Kap#8 - 30
3/18/12 Kap#7 - 28
2/25/12 Kap#6 - 33
2/4/12 Kap#5 - 26

Help. :(

Kaplan scores can be inflated for some people because of the harsher curve. Make sure you read all questions and answers very carefully and deliberately to eliminate any "silly" mistakes.

less than 3 weeks! i've been getting a pretty steady 30 on the aamc tests, do you think I should push my test date back? 30 isnt bad, but id rather be around 33. i dont know how realistic it is that my studying will really get any better... also, do you guys think you should take the full time on the essays or just kind of rush through them so you dont fatigue for biological?

Hey all,

Wishing everyone fantastic luck on the 31st - "the only way out is through." Wondering if anyone has any last minute tips on how to get those last few points. I've completed Kaplan On-Site with their FLs 1-3 and AAMC FLs 4,5,7,8, and 11. My average is a 34, my mode a 33, and my range 33-36. I have also gone through content review from all of BR Physics 1 and 2, and will also have gone trough all of BRs chemistry by this weekend. Just curious if anyone was in a similar spot and could speak about how they broke through the wall. See you on the other side.

Lets get it guys. Had to reschedule from a 5/24 to a 5/31 test date in a completely different state. Trying to push through it without feeling the burn out. Took Kaplan 1-8, all 8 AAMC's, and trying to go through all the FL's in these last days. Home stretch everybody!

I am feeling really discouraged. Anyone see scores go down rapidly? Or is it just the switch to AAMC tests? How am I back to the score that I was at baseline?!

5/8/12 AAMC #3 - 26
4/22/12 AAMC #11 - 28
4/8/12 Kap#8 - 30
3/18/12 Kap#7 - 28
2/25/12 Kap#6 - 33
2/4/12 Kap#5 - 26

Help. :(

There was a moment when my scores started to go down too. Just remember how much the mcat is a critical thinking test and that you have the tools to do it. You've obviously taken a good amount of practice test so the key word when going into it (and something I have to remind myself too daily) is confidence. You got this!

does anyone know if the curve is similar to the aamc FLs??? like how if you only miss 3-4 questions you get an 11? or is it more lenient on the real thing?

God only knows, well and the people at AAMC lol but their website says each test is curved individually. I am just super nervous now after reading the threads about recent MCATs, I am expecting a brutal test next week.