The Official 5/31/12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontrad777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

I had a buddy take the MCAT on a different day and we're certain we had at least one of the same passages. This gives me confidence that they re-use passages to a degree. But, what I don't think people realize is that for each passage they write they most likely have a
large bank of questions that vary in difficulty and in what concepts are tested. In compiling a test, they choose from a large bank of passages and then they choose specific questions for each passage from their large bank of questions. This allows them to make sure that they test different concepts on a given test and that balance the test out in terms of difficulty. I can go into more detail why I think this is the way it's done, but I'll stop there unless people are interested in hearing more.

I also don't know who ever perpetuated the idea that the "experimental" questions are the "hard" ones. That holds no weight at all. The easiest question on the test is just as likely to be experimental as the hardest question. Also, I am utterly against the idea that ENTIRE passages are experimental. The Official Guide To the MCAT says there are experimental "items." In my opinion, there are only individual questions that are experimental. These questions are those that haven't shown up on an MCAT before and therefore need to be controlled for question wording, etc... to make sure they are properly suited for non-experimental items within a test in the future. They also probably use these items to help determine the difficulty of the experimental question. For example, if only 30% get it right, then they know this question can be classified as "Hard". This also feeds into my theory that they have a larger bank of questions per passage than what is seen on a given test.

Finally, I doubt that there is any more than 4 experimental QUESTIONS on the entire exam. If there were more than that than leaves an increasingly small amount of questions available from which they determine your score. Think of the Practice AAMC tests: for scores of 14 and 15, there's usually a 1-2 question buffer in achieving each new score. If you suddenly take out 4 or 5 questions on a given section, where does that buffer stand? Less than 1 question difference per score step? Even a 1 question difference is probably so statistically insignificant that they wouldn't feel as comfortable assigning someone a higher score. They want as much room as possible to distinguish one person's score from another.

First, you aren't supposed to discuss problems from the MCAT. So you should probably edit your post. (If you do, I'll edit mine so your original text is removed). I'm pretty sure there are a few AAMC employees who scan this website and look for stuff like that.

Your post seems to be mostly right. However, I doubt that any questions are used for multiple test sittings. In fact, I bet even two sessions on the same day have totally different questions. You can just imagine the amount of sharing that would go on if questions were reused. Maybe there's a multiyear cycle, such that questions from the test 10-15 years ago are reused for current exams. But I doubt even that much is true.

I don't often post, but I need to correct you here. I'm a retaker from 5/19 (my first MCAT was Aug 2011), and I know for a fact that they reuse questions. I know this because one of the questions I received on my second MCAT was used verbatim on my first one. And it's not a vague recollection, it was the exact same question (I know this because I agonized over that question for a long time the first time I wrote the exam).

tdlr: They reuse questions. Why do you think they're so strict about the non-disclosure agreement?

Members don't see this ad :)
haha because you think it feels longer that way or you don't want scores back?

Haha yeah it makes it seem wayyy longer. It's whatever lol.

And I keep running into a problem. Only averaged a 34 until getting a 36 on AAMC 11, and while I think I peaked on the actual MCAT, I think I'm setting my expectations too high. I've been reading a lot about schools like Cornell, Vandy, Stanford, and Mayo lately...and I'm getting a little too excited here. Might be setting myself up for some disappointment.

I don't often post, but I need to correct you here. I'm a retaker from 5/19 (my first MCAT was Aug 2011), and I know for a fact that they reuse questions. I know this because one of the questions I received on my second MCAT was used verbatim on my first one. And it's not a vague recollection, it was the exact same question (I know this because I agonized over that question for a long time the first time I wrote the exam).

tdlr: They reuse questions. Why do you think they're so strict about the non-disclosure agreement?

I recant. I figured they wouldn't reuse questions since people are kinda chatty and there is probably rampant sharing already. Oh well.

And I keep running into a problem. Only averaged a 34 until getting a 36 on AAMC 11, and while I think I peaked on the actual MCAT, I think I'm setting my expectations too high. I've been reading a lot about schools like Cornell, Vandy, Stanford, and Mayo lately...and I'm getting a little too excited here. Might be setting myself up for some disappointment.

"Only" a 34? Please don't be that guy.

I recant. I figured they wouldn't reuse questions since people are kinda chatty and there is probably rampant sharing already. Oh well.

Sounds like it could have been an experimental question the first time. If not, I'd also be very surprised if they reused, especially verbatim.

I had a buddy take the MCAT on a different day and we're certain we had at least one of the same passages. This gives me confidence that they re-use passages to a degree. But, what I don't think people realize is that for each passage they write they most likely have a
large bank of questions that vary in difficulty and in what concepts are tested. In compiling a test, they choose from a large bank of passages and then they choose specific questions for each passage from their large bank of questions. This allows them to make sure that they test different concepts on a given test and that balance the test out in terms of difficulty. I can go into more detail why I think this is the way it's done, but I'll stop there unless people are interested in hearing more.

I also don't know who ever perpetuated the idea that the "experimental" questions are the "hard" ones. That holds no weight at all. The easiest question on the test is just as likely to be experimental as the hardest question. Also, I am utterly against the idea that ENTIRE passages are experimental. The Official Guide To the MCAT says there are experimental "items." In my opinion, there are only individual questions that are experimental. These questions are those that haven't shown up on an MCAT before and therefore need to be controlled for question wording, etc... to make sure they are properly suited for non-experimental items within a test in the future. They also probably use these items to help determine the difficulty of the experimental question. For example, if only 30% get it right, then they know this question can be classified as "Hard". This also feeds into my theory that they have a larger bank of questions per passage than what is seen on a given test.

Finally, I doubt that there is any more than 4 experimental QUESTIONS on the entire exam. If there were more than that than leaves an increasingly small amount of questions available from which they determine your score. Think of the Practice AAMC tests: for scores of 14 and 15, there's usually a 1-2 question buffer in achieving each new score. If you suddenly take out 4 or 5 questions on a given section, where does that buffer stand? Less than 1 question difference per score step? Even a 1 question difference is probably so statistically insignificant that they wouldn't feel as comfortable assigning someone a higher score. They want as much room as possible to distinguish one person's score from another.

I'm 99% in agreement. Concerning your incredulity about whole passages being experimental: what would the alternative be? I find it hard to believe that they just recycle passages from time to time. I also think it's doubtful that they would grade untested passages.

Last edited:
I think different people might be using different definitions of "experimental". I am guilty because I have knowingly used it in two different ways.

I believe the hardest questions in biology were experiment-based lab questions, which come from the "newer" harder experiment passages they put in.

The "experimentals" are any new questions that they introduce which don't count on your score but will be used for future tests.

Like someone said earlier they probably have a large bank of passages for each section and for each section they probably have an even larger bank of questions (probably 5-20) of varying difficulty which they can draw from.

So they could use an older passage but introduce a new experimental question into a group of 4 other already set questions.

In any case, the experimentals probably make up less than 5 questions, if that many. The biggest determinant of the curve will be the overall difficulty of the questions. I felt like there were a good amount of difficult questions overall so I think our curve will be decent.

I agree, thought the test was more on the challenging side. Hope the curve compensates it..

Members don't see this ad :)
My expectations just keep dropping and dropping. My research will start up this week though so I can stop beating myself up all afternoon and my two summer classes are getting a little more intense. Still, lots of free time to kill.

My expectations just keep dropping and dropping. My research will start up this week though so I can stop beating myself up all afternoon and my two summer classes are getting a little more intense. Still, lots of free time to kill.

Take it easy kasho, I'm sure you did fine. The more you prepare for it, the more sensitive you are for errors and unsure questions... sall good man

Did you guys with relatively low GPAs take hard (honours perhaps?) majors? If you have the capability to get >35 MCAT scores then it shouldn't make sense for you not to have 3.8+ cGPA unless you really had it rough over the last 3 or 4 years of UG.

I mean, I'm biochem major, been procrastinating more than I could care to admit, but my cGPA is still sitting around 3.85. Not great (some peers have 3.95+ GPAs in my major) but not disappointing either.

I have no clue as to how different / more difficult Grad is compared to UG though, so perhaps that plays a role here.

Depend on the grad program. Most are easier than UG since they are more health-related and less diverse, the Professors tend to curve more. HOWEVER, the materials can be much in depth and denser. Students in Grad are usually more mature and focused which lead to a lot of high marks.
I did a grad program and has taken a med course. Med course aren't necessarily as conceptually challenge as some undergrad course, BUT the instructor tend to cover more stuffs(like present you with more research focused areas that are related) and more volume.

Depend on the grad program. Most are easier than UG since they are more health-related and less diverse, the Professors tend to curve more. HOWEVER, the materials can be much in depth and denser. Students in Grad are usually more mature and focused which lead to a lot of high marks.
I did a grad program and has taken a med course. Med course aren't necessarily as conceptually challenge as some undergrad course, BUT the instructor tend to cover more stuffs(like present you with more research focused areas that are related) and more volume.

So...you're saying that in general those who go on to do grad after UG tend to have a boost in cumulative grades? My major / university is full of over-achievers then, as my 3.85 cGPA feels mediocre amongst my peers.

I just want to know damnit - I am 100% fine with retaking... I would just like to know so I can set it up.... ahhhhhhhh

I'm doing the same thing. Averaged a 34 on the AAMC practices exams with my last one (11 maybe?) being a 36, two questions short of a 37. I started developing grandiose visions of applying to top-20 schools, and I really don't want to be setting myself up for a fall if things don't go as well as I hope!!! Only time will tell, of course, but I have my fingers crossed for all of us!!!

guys i am nervous for the 5/12/12ers to get their scores tomorrow. I feel like I will get freaked out my all of the people who did worse then their average but not really feel better or connected with the people who did better than their average!

Why is that? I am setting myself up for miseeerrryyyyy!!! D:

Anyone else scared for this poor poor group of unsuspecting pre-meds?!

guys i am nervous for the 5/12/12ers to get their scores tomorrow. I feel like I will get freaked out my all of the people who did worse then their average but not really feel better or connected with the people who did better than their average!

Why is that? I am setting myself up for miseeerrryyyyy!!! D:

Anyone else scared for this poor poor group of unsuspecting pre-meds?!

I keep thinking what it will be like for them, actually going to the mcat website and their scores will just be there. I get nervous just picturing it.. 3 more weeks for us, oh how time doesn't fly.

I feel like I'm going to be the - 3 from my aamc average. Still clinging to the possibility of +2 or +3 from my average, I'll be ok with average, anything below and I'll start thinking retake.

PS catzz if you were a chemistry nerd your sig would say: if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate

I keep thinking what it will be like for them, actually going to the mcat website and their scores will just be there. I get nervous just picturing it.. 3 more weeks for us, oh how time doesn't fly.

I feel like I'm going to be the - 3 from my aamc average. Still clinging to the possibility of +2 or +3 from my average, I'll be ok with average, anything below and I'll start thinking retake.

PS catzz if you were a chemistry nerd your sig would say: if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate

haha love it... so true. :)

Hey all,
I have been a leaching off of this tread for moral support for months now, but I never really brought myself to register....so now:

He is my feeling after the weeks have dulled my memory,

PS was calculation skewed, had to guess 3-4 at the end, but the content was not difficult
VB- finished on time, but really only was going off intuition
BS- Hardest of the bunch, yes that passage took most of my time and I didnt feel comfortable with it

As for the number of people posting on the tread, I know many more are viewing and have stuff to add but for what ever reason.

Regarding the "not counted" questions, It doesn't make sense that they would have those in passages. Wouldn't it make since that they would be found in the solos because its meant to gauge how much of the population of test takers know the answer?

My stats: I started with 3 and ended at 11
avg 28 that spanned all practices
High 32 on test 10
Low 24 on test 6 I think

Hey all,
I have been a leaching off of this tread for moral support for months now, but I never really brought myself to register....so now:

PS was calculation skewed, had to guess 3-4 at the end, but the content was not difficult
BS- Hardest of the bunch, yes that passage took most of my time and I didnt feel comfortable with it

As for the number of people posting on the tread, I know many more are viewing and have stuff to add but for what ever reason.

Regarding the "not counted" questions, It doesn't make sense that they would have those in passages. Wouldn't it make since that they would be found in the solos because its meant to gauge how much of the population of test takers know the answer?

High 32 on test 10
Low 24 on test 6 I think

Welcome! Glad you decided to join and post your thoughts, I find it to be one of the few cathartic things I can do post-mcat.

Feel good knowing that 6 was removed for a reason and 10 has been very predictive for a lot of people.

Regarding the experimentals I see what you are saying but think of it this way, if they never had passage experimentals how would they ever introduce new material? They would have to re-use the same passages and questions, no matter how large their bank of passage/questions are. But we know they throw out and introduce new material, it can't be strictly from the discretes. Even if they didn't though, then how did they curve the passages and questions in the first place? Case of the chicken vs. the egg? :D

Last edited:
Hey all,

High 32 on test 10
Low 24 on test 6 I think

Hi and welcome. I am glad that you came out of the closet! :)

It niggles me ... how many people are watching but not sharing! Come on out and tell us what you think! Please make an account and share your experiences... it really does add to the conversation and help us all feel better. It alwasy makes me feel like part of a community. Like when 7 of 9 got all of her borg implants removed finally!

MCAT was my borg implant.... not I am free!! :laugh:

Verbal passages seemed alot longer than practice aamcs I felt or maybe it was the font....
I feel that this section could make or break your score

I'm just excited that in a couple weeks this anticipation will finally be over. As far as the MCAT, the PS pretty much raped me. I found myself spending too much time on the first couple passages. And all the energy drinks I was drinking began to kick in way too hard when the VR came around. Started getting a headache and had trouble focusing. I know I killed the BS section so at least there's that. Word to those who need caffeine to focus, take a little less than you usually do as your anxiety will do the rest.

Agreed, I thought overall the difficulty was harder than any of the aamc's and I am most unsure about this section.

I didn't think it was that different from all the practice tests, just another hour of hell. Like you said though, I'm the least certain about this section. With the sciences its usually either you know it or you don't, it always feels as if there's more subjectivity with VR

I think a couple people got their accounts banned or on hold. Not a mod, but remember to stop discussing specific things like experimental questions etc. Hate to have your scores cancelled.

so i just found out about this website not that long ago, and have been creeping for about a month...finally broke down and made an account! here's my input (better late than never i guess):

PS: ran out of time, which never happened on any of the AAMCs. had to guess randomly on about 3-4.
VR: meh. i think everyone else's input is the same as mine. pretty challenging.
BS: thought this was the easiest section...that "one" passage. YIKES.

only a few more weeks of waiting. is it just me or have the past two weeks CRAWLED by?

also...i didnt take any of the kaplan full lengths. if i have to retake, do you think these are as reliable (indicative of true score) as the AAMC practice tests?

thanks! good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Yes, I am starting to get nervous as the score release date approaches.

I have heard from many people that Kaplan practice tests are inflated scores that are not indicative of your actual MCAT scores.

Last edited:
if i remember correctly it was in the middle. i seriously doubt you skipped over it.

Last edited:
For me the last 2 weeks haven't been so bad, I think it'll be the first days of July that are by far the worst. I've already submitted to AMCAS and am waiting to be verified, I just need my score to make sure my top schools are within reasonable range of my MCAT.

I thought the test was pretty fair, except the verbal answers were so ambiguous. I felt like most questions could have been at least two of the answer choices.

Anyways I had the strangest dream last night that I had to retake the exam and this time I had to sit on the floor and do it on paper instead of the computer lol and one of the verbal passages was in spanish so I panicked, went out to talk to the person administering the exam about it, and the person administering the exam was Daniel Tosh! haha what a ridiculous dream.

Hey all. :) Been lurking for a while but wanted to share my thoughts. Only ~3 weeks left! :oops:

PS: Hard. Felt rushed. Guessed on a few. Topic selection was reasonable, though - nothing out of left field.
VR: Hard. I mean, hard. Long passages and murky questions.
WS: Boring and pointless.
BS: Hard. Lol at that one passage.

Predicted score: 24

So from the 5/19 forum I guess they were saying they called aamc.. and that there is no curve based on the performance of that specific day.. instead they use a complicated formula with certain questions being worth more than others.. ie hard questions 1 pt and super easy ones 0.25. The scale is set before the exam (besides experimental test questions). I don't know what to think of this lol. What do you guys think?

So...you're saying that in general those who go on to do grad after UG tend to have a boost in cumulative grades? My major / university is full of over-achievers then, as my 3.85 cGPA feels mediocre amongst my peers.

Not necessarily. I have peers who have made the same mistakes as they did in undergrad. But gpa in grad tend to be around 3.5 +/-1 ...assuming you are only doing grad courses. However, most on SDN who did grad(smp) took medical school courses which are significantly harder than UG just because of volume. I think by doing well in med courses really distinguish you from other students who did grad. There is no inflation nor any curves given in those courses..at least the ones my friends and I took.

I don't know maybe your university/major has grade inflation?

Hi, been lurking but finally made an account. I agree with what everyone else has said. PS and BS seemed okay, VR seemed very hard. I did eight EK 101s and averaged a 10.5, and got a 12 on the VR of my last AAMC. But the real thing was way harder.

Anyway, good luck everyone! Two weeks from tomorrow! :scared:

Not necessarily. I have peers who have made the same mistakes as they did in undergrad. But gpa in grad tend to be around 3.5 +/-1 ...assuming you are only doing grad courses. However, most on SDN who did grad(smp) took medical school courses which are significantly harder than UG just because of volume. I think by doing well in med courses really distinguish you from other students who did grad. There is no inflation nor any curves given in those courses..at least the ones my friends and I took.

I don't know maybe your university/major has grade inflation?

I'm from McGill U, biochemistry major. The average for biochem courses always seems to be C+'s ~ B's (so that's equivalent to GPA 2.3~3.0), but people I know all get A's (GPA 4.0 full) with occasional A-'s (3.7). So perhaps I'm just in the midst of overachievers.

Wow longest week of my life.. until the week before our scores.

Did anyone/everyone see what someone from 5/19 posted about how they score the mcat? I knew they didn't curve it based on our testers but I thought it was based off of a preset curve. I guess there is still some sort of cut-off that determines where a 13 ends and 14 starts but I didn't know that harder questions were worth more than easier questions. I'm actually kind of happy about that, I feel like I messed up several easy discretes, but who knows.

T minus 2 weeks.. hasn't really hit me yet that we're getting our scores soon and will hopefully be done with this monster... heavy anxiety should kick in by next weekend.

Wow longest week of my life.. until the week before our scores.

Did anyone/everyone see what someone from 5/19 posted about how they score the mcat? I knew they didn't curve it based on our testers but I thought it was based off of a preset curve. I guess there is still some sort of cut-off that determines where a 13 ends and 14 starts but I didn't know that harder questions were worth more than easier questions. I'm actually kind of happy about that, I feel like I messed up several easy discretes, but who knows.

T minus 2 weeks.. hasn't really hit me yet that we're getting our scores soon and will hopefully be done with this monster... heavy anxiety should kick in by next weekend.

Heh Kasho11 I was thinking about you as I kept clicking "reply" and was reminded over and over that that a-hole admin blocked our accounts for no good reason. Then I would remember that you were probably on the other side of your screen frustrated as well. I told the admin he was rude and that I was going to make another account so that I could post encouragement, comments, ask questions, and answer questions here and GTLO kindly informed me that that was not allowed and that both accounts would be banned if I did make another account. I just love how the community is run by a bunch of idiotic, power-abusing butts. Imagine if the government was run like this! haha.

Am I not allowed to say these things? Will I be banned yet again? Guys, if you never see me again, you should know what kind of a dictatorship we are swimming in here.

So annoying.

Anyways... /rant

I'M SO ANXIOUS TO GET MY SCORES!!!!

Wow I have been wanting to say that for a week now.

Anyways, hi again all :D

Best,
C

Haha ikr, I just want to know so I can relax or set up a retake. Going to party with some friends two weeks after scores are out so I'll either still be celebrating or still a bit disgruntled about studying again.

I still feel like my scores could range anywhere within like a 14 point range.

Haha ikr, I just want to know so I can relax or set up a retake. Going to party with some friends two weeks after scores are out so I'll either still be celebrating or still a bit disgruntled about studying again.

I still feel like my scores could range anywhere within like a 14 point range.

Lmao. I have teh same feeling. I think I might have pulled off a 34 ... or maybe I got a 22. IDK.

<2 weeks now!!!!

Haha, it was quiet without you guys. How did they justify suspending your accounts?

We got too specific about one of the passages. But fear not! We are back and I will post the crap out of this thread in these next 2 weeks.

13 days and ~14 hours left. I WANNA KNOWWWW