The Official 8/17/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaurenMarie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's all dread this date together! :scared:

How/when are you guys studying? (i.e. SN2ed, Kaplan, TBR)

EDIT: I'm attaching simple charts I made to keep track of my progress for each set of passages for the SN2ed schedule. Its helpful to monitor how you are progressing and will show you what areas to work on. ENJOY :)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Physics Passage Scores.doc
    79 KB · Views: 252
  • Biology Passage Scores.doc
    73 KB · Views: 141
  • Organic Chemistry Passage Scores.doc
    67 KB · Views: 118
  • Verbal Reasoning.doc
    143 KB · Views: 108
  • General Chemistry Passage Scores.doc
    79.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Hey guys,

So I just did my first Kaplan full length (not sure which # Kaplan it is) but I got 40/52 on PS, 43/52 on BS, and I don't care to share my VR at this point lol. Does anyone know ROUGHLY what scaled score these PS and BS raw scores come out to?

Thanks!

:)

I'm not sure what they would be on the Kaplan scale, but using the aamc 10 scale it would be a 9 and 11 respectively. I believe that the Kaplan scale is much more forgiving than that though.

How far is everyone else in content review? I'll be done with ch 5 of everything this week. I can't wait to be done with content review!

Hey everyone, I'm taking the MCAT for the first time on the 16th (yes, I know this isn't the right thread for me then, but it's close enough) and I have been pretty calm about the whole thing, but seeing the 2 month mark come closer and closer has really started to kick up some anxiety. Fortunately, I'm a pre- and post-test anxiety person and I usually feel calm during tests... but this is a different beast so who knows.

I just wanted to throw out what I've been doing. I know it's not the norm as far as most SDN posters, but I figure that hard work and studying pays off regardless of how it's done (i hope).

So before I began any studying, I took the AAMC #3 FL to see what this whole MCAT thing was all about -- and what a surprise that was. I made 9/9/9, which I was not ecstatic about, but I think it is a good starting point. I know it's not much since the test is outdated and I wasn't super strict about timing, but it was more for my confidence booster and to tell myself I have work to do.

Anyways, I have spent the whole month doing content review. I have tried to consistently study around 4 hours a day, everyday. I have EK for Bio and Orgo and Verbal, and TPR for Chem and Physics. I have enjoyed them all and feel like I understood the concepts (except the Electricity and Magnetism in Physics, but oh well, there's time to nail those down.) I have done most all of the end-of-chapter review questions and passages, but not all of the EK 30 minute exams. I also take 2 or 3 verbal passages in a row every day to work on timing (Once I get comfortable with my timing I will take the tests as a whole, but for now I'm fine).

Now that I am done with that, I am going to take the TPR Diagnostic Review from their site tomorrow and friday. From what I gather it is free, and very long -- it covers lots of topics for each subject. I feel like this will give me a good idea of my weak areas. I want to focus the next 3 - 4 weeks nailing down the areas I have trouble with, and hopefully be done with that before the last month.

Then, hopefully, I'll spend the last month doing FLs (AAMC and some TBR ones) and working on weak areas, memorizing formulas, looking over last second notes, etc. I'm shooting for a 33+ but I know I have a ways to go.

I know this was probably a boring post to most of you, but I wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone else was straying from TBR and doing their own thing? (And yes, I realize that TBR is probably the ideal way to be most prepared for the MCAT, but again, I feel like hard work and dedicated studying will pay off regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vk79,

I definitely agree that there is no "correct" way to study. Your pre content review score is great for not having reviewed yet. I'm sure a lot of the stuff you missed was just a matter of having forgotten little details or equations. Your plan seems really good so far! Good luck!

Thanks! Ha, I admit, I do worry sometimes seeing everyone doing TBR, but other people have done well with other books, so I can't make any excuses.

I'm fortunate in that I have completed all of my pre-recs fairly recently (except physics 3 that contains the magnetism and electricity) and I have some of the micro, optics, waves, and anatomy down pat. Unfortunately, I have forgotten a lot of my gen chem and physics.

And btw physics sucks. Ha can't say that enough

Thanks! Ha, I admit, I do worry sometimes seeing everyone doing TBR, but other people have done well with other books, so I can't make any excuses.

I'm fortunate in that I have completed all of my pre-recs fairly recently (except physics 3 that contains the magnetism and electricity) and I have some of the micro, optics, waves, and anatomy down pat. Unfortunately, I have forgotten a lot of my gen chem and physics.

And btw physics sucks. Ha can't say that enough

Same here! I've never liked physics :/ The concepts are just so much harder for me to grasp for some reason. That's good that you've finished everything recently! Same here except for bio. I'm really nervous for bio because I never learned most of what I'm seeing in EK.. I guess we'll see in a few weeks once I start FLs!

I just want to reiterate the ridiculousness that is TBR biology passages (especially the last 6 or so from each section). Effing ridiculous.

I just want to reiterate the ridiculousness that is TBR biology passages (especially the last 6 or so from each section). Effing ridiculous.

Yes! It bums me out so much when I grade them. I just did some of the ones from ch 4 and 5 in TBR and got a 61% :thumbdown:

The first book is supposedly "easy" compared to the second book too..

I delayed my test to 8/17 from 7/6 since I wasn't feeling ready. Trying to get 36, but my AAMC scores were 31, 36, 33, 33 (AAMC 3,4,5,7 respectively) so I pushed back. Decided to hold back on more AAMC tests until I get closer to the new test date and instead use some old Kaplan paper FLs which I hear are the same as the current Kaplan CBTs except with added passages since it's from the days when the MCAT had 10 passages instead of 7. I heard these Kaplan FLs are supposed to be easier than the AAMC ones but I just did Kaplan FL 1 today and got a 28. WTF.

I don't even know what to think anymore :(

I delayed my test to 8/17 from 7/6 since I wasn't feeling ready. Trying to get 36, but my AAMC scores were 31, 36, 33, 33 (AAMC 3,4,5,7 respectively) so I pushed back. Decided to hold back on more AAMC tests until I get closer to the new test date and instead use some old Kaplan paper FLs which I hear are the same as the current Kaplan CBTs except with added passages since it's from the days when the MCAT had 10 passages instead of 7. I heard these Kaplan FLs are supposed to be easier than the AAMC ones but I just did Kaplan FL 1 today and got a 28. WTF.

I don't even know what to think anymore :(

Kaplan is disproportionately difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1, I'd like to know if anyone has done GS as well, and if they are worth purchasing at this point with the MCAT only 8 wks from now...

I did one yesterday and scored a 25 (8, 9, 8) :(

I'm only halfway through content though.. Plus I never learned most of the stuff required for bio, so I'm teaching myself as I go.

I've heard that most people score 4-5 points lower on GS tests than their aamc average. Any thoughts anyone?

hey guys!!!

im also taking the mcat on the same day! figured i'd need some support to get through this haha. WE CAN DO THIS!!!

quick qs, was looking through TBR orgo book 2, the chapters on carb and nitrogen seem super intimidating and overwhelming, i heard some people say we dont need to know that much detail but im also not good at orgo...how much time should do spend on those 2 chps? what do you guys think?

thx so much!!

Organic Chemistry? More like BOREganic chemistry.....am I right people? lol

:laugh:

I'm actually one of the crazy people that likes organic chem.. I'm not sure how that happened.. I hated it at first. haha sadly for me, my strongest subject is the one that is tested the least. :thumbdown:

My verbal is all over the place. By 8/17 I will have exhausted all of TBR, EK, and TPRH verbal passages so hopefully some improvement will head my way.

Anyone facing any other problems than Verbal? I find TBR to be very helpful with Gen. Chem and O. Chem . I'm not sure God himself could make me understand Physics any better. Just hoping practice with Physics will show results.

Are you still using TBR for verbal? I used that first (about a month ago) and was doing terribly. Then I did one EK 101 #2 and scored a 6... So I was pretty traumatized from that and switched to TPRH then about a week later scored a 10 and a 9 on two of their tests. I went back to TBR and started scoring in the 7-9 range which was really frustrating. TBR verbal passages are ridiculously hard!

Anyway, I just took EK 101 #3 and scored a 10.

I have no idea which one of the books helped me, but something worked.

Which resource for verbal does everyone else like?

Hi guys and gals,

retaking this beast. made a 29 back in 2010, realistically looking for a score in the low 30's but hoping for higher. good luck and remember there is an end to it! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Did anyone else have their @$$ handed to them by the Buffers and Titration section of TBR (Ch. 5)? I'm just now to the middle of it and no matter how much I think I've gotten down, they throw me under the bus with the next question. I'm not looking forward to these passages coming up later tonight...

Did anyone else have their @$$ handed to them by the Buffers and Titration section of TBR (Ch. 5)? I'm just now to the middle of it and no matter how much I think I've gotten down, they throw me under the bus with the next question. I'm not looking forward to these passages coming up later tonight...

That chapter was really frustrating. The first half of the passages I did I pulled a 73%. That's only because I reviewed each passage right after I did it because I knew that I would make the same mistakes on the rest of the passages, so I wouldn't really be learning to do the problems correctly.

EDIT: also because I knew I would have ended up with <50% if I didn't review passages in between and I was frustrated enough as it was.

That chapter was really frustrating. The first half of the passages I did I pulled a 73%. That's only because I reviewed each passage right after I did it because I knew that I would make the same mistakes on the rest of the passages, so I wouldn't really be learning to do the problems correctly.

EDIT: also because I knew I would have ended up with <50% if I didn't review passages in between and I was frustrated enough as it was.

That's actually a really good idea! I might have to try that on the first 1/3rd (each still timed) and then do it straight through on the 2nd 1/3. Unless, of course, it's another one of those nights where I am doing passages at midnight... I don't think I'd have it in me to stop after each one and review/learn. By that time, I'm ready to burn my MCAT books and take the GRE and get my PhD lol

That's actually a really good idea! I might have to try that on the first 1/3rd (each still timed) and then do it straight through on the 2nd 1/3. Unless, of course, it's another one of those nights where I am doing passages at midnight... I don't think I'd have it in me to stop after each one and review/learn. By that time, I'm ready to burn my MCAT books and take the GRE and get my PhD lol

I know what you mean!! I have a habit of procrastinating all day then wanting to shoot myself when I end up having to attempt VR at 2 in the morning! hahah

That's what I did for that chapter though. I didn't want to get discouraged by doing terribly on the first half. So for the first half I very quickly looked at what I did wrong (still did a full review the next day), then the second half I did timed without breaks in between (a few days later) and I went from a 73% to an 86% on the second half.

I know what you mean!! I have a habit of procrastinating all day then wanting to shoot myself when I end up having to attempt VR at 2 in the morning! hahah

That's what I did for that chapter though. I didn't want to get discouraged by doing terribly on the first half. So for the first half I very quickly looked at what I did wrong (still did a full review the next day), then the second half I did timed without breaks in between (a few days later) and I went from a 73% to an 86% on the second half.

Wow, congrats on the scores, it looks like your doing very well! The only time I can get 80+% is doing organic and that's because I just got out of organic II and it ended up being the easiest subject in the world for me and I loved it (and did research with my professor this semester). Everything else I get anywhere from 50%-70% per passage... Some of this stuff has just been tooooo long ago since the last time I've seen it. Hopefully my scores will be good enough on the real thing so that I don't have to go through this again. Because if so, I may seriously get my PhD in medicinal synthetic chemistry or some form of theoretical physics! With all the time put into the MCAT studying for it twice, someone could almost have their doctorate lol

Hi guys and gals,

retaking this beast. made a 29 back in 2010, realistically looking for a score in the low 30's but hoping for higher. good luck and remember there is an end to it! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Try an AAMC to make sure it's not grade inflation with EK....and could you let me know what the outcome is, regarding verbal?

:shrug: It's freaking me out that I have no idea what you just said. Lol thank god I'm not done with content review. Haha I'll just blame it on that..

Haha, well - I figured it out; surfactant lines the alveolus on the inner surface. Water has a high surface tension, and if the alveoli were lined by H2O, they would collapse on themselves. Surfactant has a lower surface tension, and so it prevents alveolar collapse. After oxygen passes through the surfactant, in then passes through the alveolar membrane and the capillary membranes as it diffuses along its gradient, into the bloodstream.

Hey everybody, I'll be joining you for the 8/17 mcat date, wanted to introduce myself :)

Hope everyone's studying is going well. For me, I'm doing sn2ed's plan. Verbal, organic, and gen chem are going great for me so far, physics is alright, bio is going kinda poorly though :-/

If you need help with v/ochem/gchem I'll try and help y'all out! Good luck everyone!

Hey everybody, I'll be joining you for the 8/17 mcat date, wanted to introduce myself :)

Hope everyone's studying is going well. For me, I'm doing sn2ed's plan. Verbal, organic, and gen chem are going great for me so far, physics is alright, bio is going kinda poorly though :-/

If you need help with v/ochem/gchem I'll try and help y'all out! Good luck everyone!

Bio isn't going too well for me either :(

s29rgj.png

Struggling with verbal. How are you preparing for it.

Struggling with verbal. How are you preparing for it.

I do 3 passages a day, 7 minutes each. I first read the passage, and then whenever I answer, I quickly try to justify the answer as if I had to convince someone it is the right answer: "Well the author would likely support abc because he made a few example points right afterwards..."

One thing I noticed about MCAT's verbal is to never "over-assume": a lot of times whenever you see any strong opinion, it's wrong (ex The author thinks all policies about xyz are detrimental) and can be easily removed.

Other than that, I've never written down notes in the passage other than underlining, I feel it's a waste of precious time.

Hope that helps, if not please let me know! :)

Bio isn't going too well for me either :(

s29rgj.png

Where are you at? I just finished ch 5 in tbr, moving onto 6 next week. I feel like tbr's passages assume I've learned everything in bio and I'm just taking a passage in a subject. Going back over them later has helped a lot.

Except genetics. That stuff is the worst. :scared:

Where are you at? I just finished ch 5 in tbr, moving onto 6 next week. I feel like tbr's passages assume I've learned everything in bio and I'm just taking a passage in a subject. Going back over them later has helped a lot.

Except genetics. That stuff is the worst. :scared:

I'm using EK for content and tbr for passages. So basically, tbr is kicking my *** in every chapter. Reviewing the passages hasn't been helping me because I'm still just soo lost. I'm going to have to go back and study more in depth once I finish content review.

I'm using EK for content and tbr for passages. So basically, tbr is kicking my *** in every chapter. Reviewing the passages hasn't been helping me because I'm still just soo lost. I'm going to have to go back and study more in depth once I finish content review.
Why are you doing that? Just use TBR for both content review and passages. EK is fine if you still remember a lot from your pre-reqs and did well in them (or insist on taking your exam in less than 3 months), but if not then you really should be using a more thorough review source like TBR or TPR. If you're getting killed by TBR in every subject (and keep in mind that 60-70% on TBR is actually good) and can't even understand the passage answers then obviously EK isn't working for you and you need to be doing content review better.

You do NOT want to have to redo your content review over again after you've already finished it once, since you'd essentially be starting over again and thus just wasted all the time you already spent studying, not to mention end up cutting deeply into the time that should be spent on practice passages and FLs. Considering we only have 8 weeks left until the MCAT, you really should be trying to wrap up content review in another 4 weeks max (assuming you're treating MCAT studying as a full time job) so that you can get started on burning through practice passages and FLs.

Why are you doing that? Just use TBR for both content review and passages. EK is fine if you still remember a lot from your pre-reqs and did well in them (or insist on taking your exam in less than 3 months), but if not then you really should be using a more thorough review source like TBR or TPR. If you're getting killed by TBR in every subject (and keep in mind that 60-70% on TBR is actually good) and can't even understand the passage answers then obviously EK isn't working for you and you need to be doing content review better.

You do NOT want to have to redo your content review over again after you've already finished it once, since you'd essentially be starting over again and thus just wasted all the time you already spent studying, not to mention end up cutting deeply into the time that should be spent on practice passages and FLs. Considering we only have 8 weeks left until the MCAT, you really should be trying to wrap up content review in another 4 weeks max (assuming you're treating MCAT studying as a full time job) so that you can get started on burning through practice passages and FLs.

Yeah, I definitely agree. I'm doing well with everything except bio. I'll be done with content in about 2 weeks. I'm going to start reading tpr for bio I think. I still have time to hone in on it.

It has passages, which are fine practice. I use both EK101 and TPRH verbal workbook

I could only afford Ek101 for verbal practice...is it okay by itself? I mean obvs will do AAMC's, but does it parallel the actual mcat passages? I know Kaplan is too detailed to resemble....just wondering what peoples experience with EK for verbal is...

60% to 70% on TBR is actually good? it says in the front of the passages that 60 to 70 is like 7-8 :(

60% to 70% on TBR is actually good? it says in the front of the passages that 60 to 70 is like 7-8 :(
Only the bio book has a scale that harsh. With the others a 65% is enough for a score in the 10-12 range. I also would take the bio books' scales with a grain of salt. Few people get 80%+ in TBR passages so it's ridiculous to set the bar for a 10 at 80% correct.

From what berkeleyteach has said in the past, 60-70% correct in the passages is typically what students who score around 30 make. FWIW I probably average around 65-75% correct in the berkeley books and my AAMC practice test average is 33 with a range of 31-36.

I am getting really tired of the EK 1001 Physics book. It is completely ridiculous. I love physics and have been great at it, but it's ridiculously difficult and not realistic. It makes it seem like a big @$$ waste of time. Anyone else feel like this?

I'm almost done with content review (sort of.. everything except for bio at least).

I'm nervous to start full lengths!

Congrats, but you shouldn't be nervous, you should be excited! Your ahead of schedule which gives you more time to fine-tune your weaker areas. You could be in my shoes and just now be half way finished with all TBR material review (including Bio).

Congrats, but you shouldn't be nervous, you should be excited! Your ahead of schedule which gives you more time to fine-tune your weaker areas. You could be in my shoes and just now be half way finished with all TBR material review (including Bio).

Well I still have a couple weeks left. I guess I'm more 3/4 of the way through content. I'm starting chapter 8 of everything tomorrow.

Do any of you guys have any recommended websites/videos that helped you with DNA/RNA stuff? So far that's my weakest section in bio, and TBR passages for that section are really rough. Thanks