The Official 8/17/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaurenMarie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's all dread this date together! :scared:

How/when are you guys studying? (i.e. SN2ed, Kaplan, TBR)

EDIT: I'm attaching simple charts I made to keep track of my progress for each set of passages for the SN2ed schedule. Its helpful to monitor how you are progressing and will show you what areas to work on. ENJOY :)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Physics Passage Scores.doc
    79 KB · Views: 249
  • Biology Passage Scores.doc
    73 KB · Views: 136
  • Organic Chemistry Passage Scores.doc
    67 KB · Views: 115
  • Verbal Reasoning.doc
    143 KB · Views: 105
  • General Chemistry Passage Scores.doc
    79.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Do any of you guys have any recommended websites/videos that helped you with DNA/RNA stuff? So far that's my weakest section in bio, and TBR passages for that section are really rough. Thanks

You know Chad's videos that everyone talks about? Well he's in the process of making a series for bio. He doesn't have them all uploaded yet, but the ones he does have up are free for right now. Just google "Chad's mcat videos" and see if he has anything that helps.

You know Chad's videos that everyone talks about? Well he's in the process of making a series for bio. He doesn't have them all uploaded yet, but the ones he does have up are free for right now. Just google "Chad's mcat videos" and see if he has anything that helps.

Great thanks! I'll check them out

So, I took GS-5 and I got

8 VR, 10 BS, and a 7 PS :mad: I swear their PS is too cal heavy, so I am reviewing the second half of Physics; Fluids, Optics, Mirrors, Lens and Electromagnetism. Also for Chemistry, I am going to review the last half of the 2nd book and the last two chapters of Book 1 of the TBR.

I also got MURDERED in TBR Biology for the Heart and Lungs section o_O. I don't think I know it the way I should know it and which is pretty ironic because I do extremely well with TPR science workbook especially the general questions. I think TBR just pull questions out of its tail, sometimes I am like :D, then :eek:, then :confused: which leads to this :mad:. But when I review I am :p ;) :rolleyes: like DUH!!!!

For Verbal, I am using 101 EK book but I am doing my passages in chunks (3 passages a day), so on Exam 8 I was one point away from a 9 :(. I need to stop second guessing myself. I will be happy with a 10 in VR.

I am taking GS-6 on Tuesday, c'est la vie!

Last thing, I am looking at wikipremed for Physics. He can be pretty boring but he breaks it down in baby steps and I need that.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I took GS-5 and I got

8 VR, 10 BS, and a 7 PS :mad: I swear their PS is too cal heavy, so I am reviewing the second half of Physics; Fluids, Optics, Mirrors, Lens and Electromagnetism. Also for Chemistry, I am going to review the last half of the 2nd book and the last two chapters of Book 1 of the TBR.

I also got MURDERED in TBR Biology for the Heart and Lungs section o_O. I don't think I know it the way I should know it and which is pretty ironic because I do extremely well with TPR science workbook especially the general questions. I think TBR just pull questions out of its tail, sometimes I am like :D, then :eek:, then :confused: which leads to this :mad:. But when I review I am :p ;) :rolleyes: like DUH!!!!

For Verbal, I am using 101 EK book but I am doing my passages in chunks (3 passages a day), so on Exam 8 I was one point away from a 9 :(. I need to stop second guessing myself. I will be happy with a 10 in VR.

I took GS #1 a couple weeks ago and scored a 25 as well (8PS, 9VR, 8BS). We still have several weeks to improve, and we will :)

TBR bio passages are crazy hard, so I wouldn't worry about the score too much.

Do your verbal scores fluctuate a lot, or have they been pretty consistent? It seems like my scores are all over the place and it worries me.

I took GS #1 a couple weeks ago and scored a 25 as well (8PS, 9VR, 8BS). We still have several weeks to improve, and we will :)

TBR bio passages are crazy hard, so I wouldn't worry about the score too much.

Do your verbal scores fluctuate a lot, or have they been pretty consistent? It seems like my scores are all over the place and it worries me.

I've been scoring 8's across the board :(, even on practice exams with maybe a 9, if I am lucky. Yes, I need to go HAM on this physics though and I am STILL working. I can't wait to go on break in 2 more weeks. I didn't register for my exam as of yet because FAP is waiting on my taxes which won't be available until July 8th :(. Since I am international my taxes are different and I hope seats will be available in my home town after my FAP app is processed.

How do you approach your verbal passages? Do you read the passage then answer, maybe you read the passage quickly and the questions too slowly, maybe you're running out of time?

Mine have been extremely consistent for better or worse. On the four AAMCs I've taken I got 10, 11, 11, 11 in that order. In EK101 my most common scores were 10-11 with a couple 9s and 12s thrown in. On the only TPRH verbal test I've done so far I got 37/40 which if you use AAMC 10's scale is a 12.

It's common for people to be all over the place though, VR tends to be hit or miss. That said, it may be worthwhile to look and see what's happening in your low scoring tests and high scoring ones. You may have a weakness that you can identify. However, if these fluctuating scores are the result of you using verbal materials from different companies that is most likely the cause since each company's VR materials tend to be pretty different from the others'.

Mine have been extremely consistent for better or worse. On the four AAMCs I've taken I got 10, 11, 11, 11 in that order. In EK101 my most common scores were 10-11 with a couple 9s and 12s thrown in. On the only TPRH verbal test I've done so far I got 37/40 which if you use AAMC 10's scale is a 12.

It's common for people to be all over the place though, VR tends to be hit or miss. That said, it may be worthwhile to look and see what's happening in your low scoring tests and high scoring ones. You may have a weakness that you can identify. However, if these fluctuating scores are the result of you using verbal materials from different companies that is most likely the cause since each company's VR materials tend to be pretty different from the others'.

Well I've been using EK and TPRH. I started out doing really terribly(around 6s) on EK so I switched to TPRH and started doing much better after a couple weeks (9s/10s). I went back to EK and got 10s on 3 practice tests in a row. Then about 4 days later I did one again and got a 7 then the next day got a 7 on TPRH too. Honestly I think I'm just soo frustrated with verbal. I can't seem to focus when I do it anymore :(

How do you approach your verbal passages? Do you read the passage then answer, maybe you read the passage quickly and the questions too slowly, maybe you're running out of time?

I like to read it thoroughly (3-3.5 minutes) then go through the questions. I don't run out of time or get rushed, sometimes I just can't focus and therefore miss major points of the passage.

VERBAL IS POINTLESSSSSS. I'm so frustrated with the fact that VR is going to be the difference between top tier and middle tier for me.

Hi fellow 8/17 test takers. how's all the studying going? I am a retaker here. anyone else retaking?

Hello to everyone. I'm a retaker too from 5/31, I scored much lower than my practice tests so I'm going to give it another go.

I believe our test is 7 weeks from Friday, where are you guys in your studying? Starting full lengths yet or finishing up content review?

I'm going to try and figure out a study plan this Saturday when I start my studying again. I took all the AAMCs and 9 Kaplan tests so I'm not exactly sure what materials to use. I think I will retake some of the earlier AAMCs I took and finish up my Kaplan online materials and Q bank.

I will tell you all that there is going to be at least one really hard passage on the test, most likely in BS. I'm still not really sure how to prepare for it, but I think trying to diagram it is the most efficient way to figure it out. For those of you who have taken the LSAT you know on certain logic problems you have to write all this stuff down to figure out the answer and I think that is really the same thing with these difficult BS passages, they are heavily logic and order based, very little scientific knowledge is needed to answer these types of questions.

Anyways hello again to you all and good luck in your studies! Hopefully you first timers won't have to retake like some of us but remember it's not the worst thing in the world and you'll feel more comfortable after having taken the real thing once.

Hello to everyone. I'm a retaker too from 5/31, I scored much lower than my practice tests so I'm going to give it another go.

I believe our test is 7 weeks from Friday, where are you guys in your studying? Starting full lengths yet or finishing up content review?

I'm going to try and figure out a study plan this Saturday when I start my studying again. I took all the AAMCs and 9 Kaplan tests so I'm not exactly sure what materials to use. I think I will retake some of the earlier AAMCs I took and finish up my Kaplan online materials and Q bank.

Sorry to hear that you didn't score as high as you had hoped! You'll get there this time :)

I have about 8 days left of content then I'll be starting FLs. A little nervous to see where I stand, but really excited to be done with content! TBR physics is kicking my *** right now though (averaging 70% ish with some chapters in the 60% range) :scared: so I'm not really confident with physics.

Have you considered GS practice tests? They aren't considered as great as a lot of the other ones, but for the price it seems like really good practice since you took the aamcs already.

I may miss the test date. SN2 schedule doesn't factor in the mini-burnouts that come with MCAT prep. :oops:

BR Bio. Content for the 1st book (Physio) isn't too bad, but the 2nd book is just awfully written. The topics are probably important, but I'd recommend just looking at some of your annotated class notes/textbooks rather than wasting time trying to review the 2nd book. Part of the 1st book is poorly written too (Reprod/Development).

Best review for Physics by far is EK1001. But it's brutally tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
I may miss the test date. SN2 schedule doesn't factor in the mini-burnouts that come with MCAT prep. :oops:

BR Bio. Content for the 1st book (Physio) isn't too bad, but the 2nd book is just awfully written. The topics are probably important, but I'd recommend just looking at some of your annotated class notes/textbooks rather than wasting time trying to review the 2nd book. Part of the 1st book is poorly written too (Reprod/Development).

Best review for Physics by far is EK1001. But it's brutally tough.

Really? EK physics is top?

Yeah, it covers stuff that's not even in the physics textbook.

EK1001 + TBR passage review is where it's at.

So, I've been following this thread for a little bit and I've decided to finally "join" in. I'm signed up for 8/17. Studied for the mcat last summer, got burnt out, and ended up voiding my test. I took it just to see what the testing conditions were like for the next round. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to study for the mcat.

Anyway, I've been doing a modified SN2ed schedule. My main focus has been Physics and G.Chem, along with practicing VR. I'll be finishing up PS content this weekend and finishing up BS content review next week...then on to the FL's!

One thing I feel is essential in preparing yourself mentally for the MCAT is to not get discouraged and to keep picking yourself back up after a "bad"/unproductive day of studying, or after getting demolished with practice passages/questions. This has been one of the toughest obstacles for me.

Anyway, good luck to everyone!

So, I've been following this thread for a little bit and I've decided to finally "join" in. I'm signed up for 8/17. Studied for the mcat last summer, got burnt out, and ended up voiding my test. I took it just to see what the testing conditions were like for the next round. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to study for the mcat.

Anyway, I've been doing a modified SN2ed schedule. My main focus has been Physics and G.Chem, along with practicing VR. I'll be finishing up PS content this weekend and finishing up BS content review next week...then on to the FL's!

One thing I feel is essential in preparing yourself mentally for the MCAT is to not get discouraged and to keep picking yourself back up after a "bad"/unproductive day of studying, or after getting demolished with practice passages/questions. This has been one of the toughest obstacles for me.

Anyway, good luck to everyone!

Thanks for this! I really need to start working on this. Lately I've been feeling "burned out", but I took a day off from studying and I still feel the exact same way whenever I sit down to study. I really need to just stop blaming it on burning out and just suck it up and study!

Last summer, when did you start feeling burned out? Did your practice tests reflect it?

Last summer, when did you start feeling burned out? Did your practice tests reflect it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think I have a thread or a post from last summer that gives a good little freak-out sesh I had and needed advice. I was pretty much psyching myself out the whole time I studied. I never really felt like I grasped Physics or G.Chem. Also, I was taking the Kaplan On-Demand online program and always felt like I was behind. Completing the schedule only gave me a false sense of security and I never felt like I addressed my weaknesses or even knew my strengths. Once I started falling behind, I started trying to schedule in more studying/reviewing/practice questions each day...that only made things worse.

Essentially it came down to mentally being defeated. I think this happened right around the 3rd practice full length I took and it showed a score that was lower than my last. I always had the impression that each FL should be better than the last and it threw me off. Being burnt out was definitely a state of mind and I let it overcome me.

Now, I don't put as much weight as I did before on an extremely strict schedule and if I feel burnt out, I'll keep pushing until I know that if I don't take a break (i.e. a day off) I won't be able to focus or absorb anything I try to learn.

Let's just hope it works out in the end ;)

PS-I pretty much just took a 2 day break from studying. I went to my best friend's wedding on Tuesday and spent the whole day driving there, attending the wedding, and hanging out with friends for a little bit, and driving back. Then on Wednesday, I did a little VR practice and just couldn't focus on anything else after that. I ended up going to a July 4 party and had some fun with friends. It was a much needed break, especially since I haven't had a good solid break for several weeks. My brain needed it. Now I feel calm and not as anxious as I was before. Just gotta hit that "reset" button sometimes.

Has anyone else done ch 9 from tbr gen chem? The chapter on kinetics? Did you guys find that one waaaay easier than all of the other chapters. That one was a nice "break" from the usual difficulty for me. However, I'm about to do the last chapter.... electrochem.. :scared:

How far along is everyone else with review/FLs?

Just finished doing about half of Ch8 Chem passages from TBR (approx 70 questions)...got around 76% correct...idk if I should be worried or not...lol.

I'm about half way through reading ch9 for Chem right now. I'll do practice passages for that chapter tomorrow
-_____-

Just finished doing about half of Ch8 Chem passages from TBR (approx 70 questions)...got around 76% correct...idk if I should be worried or not...lol.

I'm about half way through reading ch9 for Chem right now. I'll do practice passages for that chapter tomorrow
-_____-

That's about what I scored for the ch8 passages. I'm not really sure how to feel about that either :confused: but it seems like that's decent/good for TBR. I'm hoping at least!

I love these kinds of answers. :eek:

internet-memes-terrible-teachers-multiple-choice.jpg

Has anyone else done ch 9 from tbr gen chem? The chapter on kinetics? Did you guys find that one waaaay easier than all of the other chapters. That one was a nice "break" from the usual difficulty for me. However, I'm about to do the last chapter.... electrochem.. :scared:

How far along is everyone else with review/FLs?

I did AAMC FL 3,4,6,7 and GS 1,2. Been hovering around 34, really need to pull it up to 37/38 to make it past auto-screens though :/

I did AAMC FL 3,4,6,7 and GS 1,2. Been hovering around 34, really need to pull it up to 37/38 to make it past auto-screens though :/

Wait, what? Why would you get screened with lower than a 37?? But either way, if you're at a 34 already I'm sure you'll get to that range before our test!

Hi everyone I'm another 8/17 first time MCAT taker! I'm currently taking a Kaplan On-Site course along with the EK set (including Verbal 101 and Physics 1001) and I just finished content review. I'm hoping to get over 35 but my physics and bio are really weak right now; my verbal is strong and my favourite part of the MCAT though so I think I'm the opposite of most people. I'll be doing my first Kaplan full length this thursday so fingers crossed it doesn't turn out too horribly!

Anyways good luck to everyone and hope we all get a fantastic score! :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone I'm another 8/17 first time MCAT taker! I'm currently taking a Kaplan On-Site course along with the EK set (including Verbal 101 and Physics 1001) and I just finished content review. I'm hoping to get over 35 but my physics and bio are really weak right now; my verbal is strong and my favourite part of the MCAT though so I think I'm the opposite of most people. I'll be doing my first Kaplan full length this thursday so fingers crossed it doesn't turn out too horribly!

Anyways good luck to everyone and hope we all get a fantastic score! :)

Daniwangsta, UK?

Hey guys, quick question/clarification...

I was reviewing some thermodynamics today and did some practice problems from EK 1001 G Chem. On page 46, there's a graph of the standard free energy change vs temperature for a particular reaction. Now, standard state conditions include that all solutions are 1 M, 1 atm of pressure, and that the temperature is at 25 degrees Celsius (298 K). However, from reading the graph, it gives me the impression that one can still calculate the standard free energy change at any temperature just as long as conditions satisfy 1 atm of pressure. Is this wrong to assume? :confused: Hope this wasn't too convoluted...

Hey guys, quick question/clarification...

I was reviewing some thermodynamics today and did some practice problems from EK 1001 G Chem. On page 46, there's a graph of the standard free energy change vs temperature for a particular reaction. Now, standard state conditions include that all solutions are 1 M, 1 atm of pressure, and that the temperature is at 25 degrees Celsius (298 K). However, from reading the graph, it gives me the impression that one can still calculate the standard free energy change at any temperature just as long as conditions satisfy 1 atm of pressure. Is this wrong to assume? :confused: Hope this wasn't too convoluted...

Hey me911, I don't have the book on me right now so I can't see the problem myself, but I'll try to help if I can.

For free energy, Gibbs eq is dG = dH - dTS (or TdS if constant T). This eq is presented for an isolated state. For the sake of MCAT's gen chem, you will assume that the system is isobaric. dG^0 values represent values that are at standard pressure, so for our purpose dG^0 = dG.

I haven't run into any problems regarding free energy / enthalpy / entropy that have required adjusted pressure so I don't think it should be an issue.

Hope that helps!

Ah yes, I understand that conditions will be isobaric but I probably wasn't clear enough in my question....im confused about the temperature...when measuring, say dG^o, at standard conditions does the temperature always have to be at 298K (25^o C)? Or can you measure dG^o at different temperatures but isobaric conditions (aka 1atm)?

Gah...I feel like I ask horrible questions...or I can't write them out how I think about them in my head...maybe I'm thinking about this too much...but I definitely appreciate your willingness to help!

Ah yes, I understand that conditions will be isobaric but I probably wasn't clear enough in my question....im confused about the temperature...when measuring, say dG^o, at standard conditions does the temperature always have to be at 298K (25^o C)? Or can you measure dG^o at different temperatures but isobaric conditions (aka 1atm)?

Gah...I feel like I ask horrible questions...or I can't write them out how I think about them in my head...maybe I'm thinking about this too much...but I definitely appreciate your willingness to help!

Ah, I think I understand what you're asking.

dG^0 is specifically a standard state equation. That's why when you look up free energy values, you'll find them for dG^0, because they're done at 298 K, 1 M aq soln, in an isobaric system.

dG is the equation used for free energy at any moment. For example, when considering free energy and equil. constants, you use eq dG = dG^0 + RTlnQ.

Sorry for going on. TLDR: dG is for any T, dG^0 is a well-known value at standard T 273K.

I don't think you have to worry about this too much, usually problems that regard this will discern between the two and you'll know if you need to find a new dG using known dG^0.

Hope that helps! Also no problem, we're in this together! :)

I don't think you have to worry about this too much, usually problems that regard this will discern between the two and you'll know if you need to find a new dG using known dG^0.

Hope that helps! Also no problem, we're in this together! :)

Sweet! Thanks!

Just a question in general, has anyone taken any TPR tests (as well as AAMC's, for comparison)? I have access to some and I was wondering if there is a difference between the "Cracking the MCAT CBT" and just the regular TPR Practice Test...:cool:

gah. This test has shifted my sleep cycle...i don't fall asleep (aka get tired) till 3am now and can't wake up before 9:30am. :thumbdown: laaaaaaaaaaaaaame. +pity+

Rereading all the TBR chapter 10's today on SN2ed's schedule. First full length (AAMC 3) on Monday. Glad to be finishing up content review, been a long and dry process.

Physics is still by far my worst subject. Verbal is next but I seem to be doing much better after reading about keywords and the such. TPRH is giving me some hope.

I've only taken one first year bio course so bio is raping me right now :s

Same here!! I was starting to think I was the only one crazy enough to do this. Everyone that I talk to keeps saying "oh... you haven't taken physio or anything??" then just saying "ohh.. well I'm sure it'll be fine..." It's starting to freak me out..

Took biochem, which in hindsight was actually pretty helpful.

Yeah, I bet. I'm taking biochem and genetics next semester. I guess if I have to retake in January I'll be better off.. I soo do not want to have to do that though.

Hey everyone! I'm taking it on 8/17 also, first time and I'm hoping for a '1 and done'. Getting more and more nervous as the days continue.... Shooting for a 33+ but I feel so overwhelmed! VR is annoying, I'll either do great or bomb it, can't figure it out! I am taking a Kaplan course that ends in a few weeks, then hoping to knock out a few practice exams each week. Any other advice? What are you guys finding to be the most helpful with improving scores?

Happy studying! :)

Same here!! I was starting to think I was the only one crazy enough to do this. Everyone that I talk to keeps saying "oh... you haven't taken physio or anything??" then just saying "ohh.. well I'm sure it'll be fine..." It's starting to freak me out..

Haha well that makes us two crazy people! But I think all the bio stuff from my Examkrackers/Kaplan textbooks is very self-teachable (some stuff just might take more time to master because we haven't seen it before), and most of the passages I've done so far are leaning on the reading comprehension side anyways, so I think as long as we work hard we will be fine (fingers crossed)!

Haha well that makes us two crazy people! But I think all the bio stuff from my Examkrackers/Kaplan textbooks is very self-teachable (some stuff just might take more time to master because we haven't seen it before), and most of the passages I've done so far are leaning on the reading comprehension side anyways, so I think as long as we work hard we will be fine (fingers crossed)!

I'm hoping the same thing! I know I'm definitely going to have to spend a lot more time really nailing down the physio that I never got exposed to. It is definitely doable though.

Game plan

Step one - Finish:

1) Kaplan online materials including q-bank
2) TPRH verbal workbook
3) Kaplan advanced book
4) 5 Gold Standard exams
5) Redo AAMC 10, 11, and a few earlier ones.

Step two - Then relax and lightly review material week before exam

Step three - ?????

Step four - awesome mcat score

totally got SN2'ed by an online TPR Cracking the MCAT VR section test today. :thumbdown: I probably would've scored better if I would've answered "C" for every answer. Mer.

So close to being done with content review...kinda..haha gotta finish Biology...which I'm definitely looking forward to after weeks of Physics and G.Chem. I'm anxious to see how much my PS has improved.

Anyway, just trying to stay positive about this whole process and keep things in perspective. Mindset is definitely key...sometimes I wish I could take my own advice better....

We're freaking MCAThletes.

Ok, I think i'm done with all the lame jokes. :sleep:

Where is everyone else in their studying?

I'm basically done content review, just in the progress of doing all the Kaplan topical/section tests (2-3/day), EK Verbal 101 (2/week), EK Physics 1001 (60/week) and Phys/Chem/Ochem TBR passages with TPR passages for bio (4-8/day). Going to do a full-length every week starting tomorrow as well.

I went from a 6 in bio on my diagnostic to an 11 on my first Kaplan section test so I am overjoyed but hoping Kaplan isn't overly inflated/easy!

Last edited:
Where is everyone else in their studying?

I'm basically done content review, just in the progress of doing all the Kaplan topical/section tests (2-3/day), EK Verbal 101 (2/week), EK Physics 1001 (60/week) and Phys/Chem/Ochem TBR passages (4-8/day). Going to do a full-length every week starting tomorrow as well.

I went from a 6 in bio on my diagnostic to an 11 on my first Kaplan section test so I am overjoyed but hoping Kaplan isn't overly inflated/easy!

Just about to finish content review myself. Haven't taken any diagnostics yet, still wondering if I should go back to the earliest chapters (esp physics and bio) to refresh my knowledge