The official AMCAS related Q&A Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

in4mant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
let's just consolidate all our questions into one thread...

1) How do I list the AP courses I took in High school? I have already read
all the instruction PDF files on the aamc site but I'm having trouble
entering these in.

My official transcript lists them under "test credits."
It does not explicitly state the credit hours earned from each AP class.

e.g. Advanced Placement Exam AP Calculus AB 2003-01-01 20.00
(20.00 refers to the total number of hours I received from the 5 AP
classes I took in H.S.)

2) I am a junior right now and hoping to matriculate in 2007. I took
the MCAT last August did somewhat poorly. I retook the test
three weeks ago. Hopefully, I did a lot better this time. If I submit
my AMCAS on June 1st, will med schools see my latest score? Am I
supposed to wait until the latest score is available on June 9th?

Members don't see this ad.

For question #1, I entered in AP credits under first semester of freshman year. There's a box at the bottom of the AMCAS form where you can check Advanced Placement with radio buttons. In terms of hours, I know that my school gives "credits" based on which courses you took. For example, AP English gives 2 credits while AP US History gives 1. If you got a 20 hours for 5 classes, perhaps each gave you 4 hours? You'll have to confirm how your school calculates hours with your pre-med advisor.

On your #2, why don't you wait until June 9 to submit your AMCAS? I don't think that the 7 days is going to make a huge difference in terms of when your application is read. On another thread, someone told me that applications weren't sent to schools until July of last year, anyway, meaning that you don't necessarily have to submit AMCAS as *soon* as you can. Considering that application deadlines are in October through December, you'll still have submitted it very early!

Ok, my turn for a question. My AP credits are listed on my college transcript as acceleration credits. This means that I don't have to send a high school transcript, right? I was concerned since they wanted documentation, but I figure that my college's acknowledgement that my AP credits are legit would be ample... Thanks :).

Members don't see this ad :)
thesmartazz said:
Ok, my turn for a question. My AP credits are listed on my college transcript as acceleration credits. This means that I don't have to send a high school transcript, right? I was concerned since they wanted documentation, but I figure that my college's acknowledgement that my AP credits are legit would be ample... Thanks :).
If they're listed on your college transcript, you're good to go (and if they weren't listed on your college transcript, then AMCAS wouldn't care about them).

thesmartazz said:

You only have to send in college transcripts.

most schools won't take ap credits anyway- all of the classes should have been taken in college that are required
med schools hate ap classes

On the topic of AP credits, what term should they be listed under? Right now I have them as "Other Term" but I don't know if that's right.

sequencer said:
most schools won't take ap credits anyway- all of the classes should have been taken in college that are required
med schools hate ap classes

Please don't post if you're not informed on what you're talking about. Someone might actually heed your ignorance.

shantster said:
On the topic of AP credits, what term should they be listed under? Right now I have them as "Other Term" but I don't know if that's right.
List them in the first term of your freshman year.

DF38 said:
List them in the first term of your freshman year.
bump

can anyone sticky this...?

NehsNairb said:
Please don't post if you're not informed on what you're talking about. Someone might actually heed your ignorance.

I agree. The only way to know about a particular school's views on AP credits is to find out from them directly. Personally, I have found that it's about half and half on the schools that I questioned regarding AP Physics (and so I repeated it). A lot (actually almost all) of the schools I asked accept AP Calc. The biggest one that people don't accept is AP Bio, but most likely you'll be doing some upper level classes in that anyway.