The Official April 24, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessDreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else on here taking it on the 24th? I'm going to start studying later this week. What is everyone else's study plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Retaking on this date.
Will begin studying late January, when I should have a lot more time...

just out of curiosity, those who are planning to write on this date and are planning to start now, how many hours / week are you putting in? Are you guys non-trads? Whats your schedule like? Just wondering if you have 6 months, how many hours is good

Members don't see this ad :)
just out of curiosity, those who are planning to write on this date and are planning to start now, how many hours / week are you putting in? Are you guys non-trads? Whats your schedule like? Just wondering if you have 6 months, how many hours is good

Well it all depends on the person. Some people need more time than others to feel comfortable with the material. I'm retaking so I kind of know what to expect this time around. I'm hoping to be able to put in around 2-3 hours a day (not likely) while I'm in school this semester and next. I'm planning on doing a sort of modified and stretched out sn2ed plan (minus the EK 1001).

Yuck...I took the exam near this date last year. I don't envy the position you're in. Good luck to all of you. Just some advice, make sure you study correct and DO NOT push off your studying. Doing so will force you to push back your exam and not allow time for a retake (if necessary) before the new MCAT changes in 2015. So thankful I don't have to take that monster.

My studying has officially started! I did TBR physics ch 1 today. It kicked my ***! I forgot how brutal their physics books are.

I know people on SDN usually say not to retake practice material, but it's been 2 years since I've looked at my TBR books and I definitely don't remember the answers. Do you still think there will be score inflation? I don't see how if I don't remember it..

Hey guys, I'm taking the MCAT on this date as well. I'm using a modified version of SN2ed's awesome schedule! I'm a non-trad and regarding the schedule, I give myself TWO days to do the reading, passages and problems instead of one day. I spent a few hours tailoring SN2ed's in Excel to my personal needs and it works out to where I would take my 1st practice test at the beginning of March, this includes break days as well (Thanksgiving, Anniversary, Christmas and regular break days). I'm looking for a study partner, basically an online competitive study buddy to keep each other on track and motivated during those downer days as well as an accountability partner! Message me if you are seriously interested! Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm taking the MCAT on this date as well. I'm using a modified version of SN2ed's awesome schedule! I'm a non-trad and regarding the schedule, I give myself TWO days to do the reading, passages and problems instead of one day. I spent a few hours tailoring SN2ed's in Excel to my personal needs and it works out to where I would take my 1st practice test at the beginning of March, this includes break days as well (Thanksgiving, Anniversary, Christmas and regular break days). I'm looking for a study partner, basically an online competitive study buddy to keep each other on track and motivated during those downer days as well as an accountability partner! Message me if you are seriously interested! Thanks!

I'm actually doing something very similar! I'm giving myself 2 days for each of the chapters. I'm skipping the EK 1001 days though because I don't find those books to be as helpful as doing passages.

I'm actually doing something very similar! I'm giving myself 2 days for each of the chapters. I'm skipping the EK 1001 days though because I don't find those books to be as helpful as doing passages.

Cool...I definitely feel more confident knowing I have 2 days instead of 1 day to get through a chapter and it's passages. So what chapter are you on now? I'm supposed to be on Bio Chp1, but I'm playing catch up already. I swear I keep re-reading the same pages as if I couldn't go back to the book when I needed it.

I am in this as well as a re-taker. Did really bad on my first one so good luck everyone. With God all things are possible.!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I am retaking in 2014 and it will probably be around this date. So, I am available to study.

How are you guys prepping? Am going with Kaplan course which starts from February but will start content after final finals and hopefully by the time the course begins, i did be done with content and do passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sup all...I'm scheduled for this date and intend to more or less follow the Spinach Method...Being on quarters isn't ideal but Spring quarter will only be 1/3rd in by test day -- won't have finals on my mind like most.

Count me in :p

I'm planning to do sn2ed's 4 month with a couple of prereq classes. Starting the 4 month next week!

TBR books came really quick (less than a week b/t mailing order form and receiving books). In case you haven't ordered yet, they told me their last shipping date before the new year is 12/23.

All right guys lets keep this thread alive. Finals over. Started yesterday. Am taking Kaplan course but doing all content review this break before the course starts. Physics Chapter 1 down. Doing Gen Chem Chapter 1 today. We can do this!

Hey guys!
I'm taking the exam on the 24th as well. I started the four month plan, and let me say it's pretty brutal for me. It really woke me up. I'm slightly behind and it's only week one, lol. Gonna spend the night trying to catch up. I think we have the perfect date because it's JUST in time for early submissions and we get a ton of time to study for it. Good luck with your studies!

Hey guys!
I'm taking the exam on the 24th as well. I started the four month plan, and let me say it's pretty brutal for me. It really woke me up. I'm slightly behind and it's only week one, lol. Gonna spend the night trying to catch up. I think we have the perfect date because it's JUST in time for early submissions and we get a ton of time to study for it. Good luck with your studies!

What day are you on? Today is day 10 for me. And I agree, it's a doozy. I feel lucky I'm on the 4 month plan vs. 3 month.

I am considering either taking it on that date, before the finals, or wait until mid May. I started studying for it about 1-2 weeks ago. Receiving an A has always been my priority, rather than learning the concept (biggest mistake). So I'm still getting used to studying 4 month in advance and not a night or two before the test. Good luck with your studying!

I am considering either taking it on that date, before the finals, or wait until mid May. I started studying for it about 1-2 weeks ago. Receiving an A has always been my priority, rather than learning the concept (biggest mistake). So I'm still getting used to studying 4 month in advance and not a night or two before the test. Good luck with your studying!

Just wondering, do you guys think taking it at the end of May would be considered late for this application cycle?

Just wondering, do you guys think taking it at the end of May would be considered late for this application cycle?

Overall, the general consensus seems to be that applying June 1 with a complete app (this means LORs, MCAT, etc.) is best and applying August is late.

If you take it in late May, it's going to take up to 30ish days to get your score. The first day to submit your completed app is June 1, so you'd be complete a month later than some people. You'd fall in the middle ground -- not late but arguably not maximizing your chances by being complete on June 1.

Overall, the general consensus seems to be that applying June 1 with a complete app (this means LORs, MCAT, etc.) is best and applying August is late.

If you take it in late May, it's going to take up to 30ish days to get your score. The first day to submit your completed app is June 1, so you'd be complete a month later than some people. You'd fall in the middle ground -- not late but arguably not maximizing your chances by being complete on June 1.

Thanks for your reply. From what I heard, primaries open in June 6th ish and it takes school a few weeks to verify you and won't send out the the info to schools until 3-4 weeks after (and most universities send you secondaries anyways before they look at your MCAT) and at the end of the day it will be end of June anyways... can anyone confirm this? I may be wrong tho

Thanks for your reply. From what I heard, primaries open in June 6th ish and it takes school a few weeks to verify you and won't send out the the info to schools until 3-4 weeks after (and most universities send you secondaries anyways before they look at your MCAT) and at the end of the day it will be end of June anyways... can anyone confirm this? I may be wrong tho
If all that is true, then it may not matter. Your only gamble would be riding on an unknown MCAT score.
Ideal situation: your score is what you wanted or better.
Opposite situation: you don't get the score you want and you've paid for the primary app

If all that is true, then it may not matter. Your only gamble would be riding on an unknown MCAT score.
Ideal situation: your score is what you wanted or better.
Opposite situation: you don't get the score you want and you've paid for the primary app

True, guess I have to see how my AAMCS go when I take them the last month or so

April 24th Test taker! Been lurking for a while and decided to go ahead and make an account. How's studying going for everyone so far?

Taking the test on this day as well! Good to meet you guys.

Study Material:
  • Physics: TBR, Princeton Review, Princeton Review Science Workbook.
  • Chemistry: TBR, EK 1001, Princeton Review Science Workbook.
  • Biology: TBR (too much info, but good questions), EK Biology, EK 1001, Princeton Review Science Workbook
  • OChem: TBR, EK, EK 1001
  • Verbal: EK 101, and the Princeton Review Verbal
I absolutely suck at physics so I started watching freelanceteach from the beginning and I highly recommend it.

Anyone used NOVA Physics? Is it any good?

Taking the test on this day as well! Good to meet you guys.

Study Material:
  • Physics: TBR, Princeton Review, Princeton Review Science Workbook.
  • Chemistry: TBR, EK 1001, Princeton Review Science Workbook.
  • Biology: TBR (too much info, but good questions), EK Biology, EK 1001, Princeton Review Science Workbook
  • OChem: TBR, EK, EK 1001
  • Verbal: EK 101, and the Princeton Review Verbal
I absolutely suck at physics so I started watching freelanceteach from the beginning and I highly recommend it.

Anyone used NOVA Physics? Is it any good?

I suck pretty hard at Physics, but I think TBR has been doing a pretty good job at explaining things. I've been getting my butt kicked by the EK series, though. Idk why. I perform so well on TBR passages and so poorly on the EK (except for the EK Bio 101). I have The Princeton Review set and I have to say I prefer TBR much more. Just a heads up, the 4 month (and 3 month) plan doesn't even bother with the Biology Lectures for TBR. If your short on time, I'd say it's okay to skip and just use for the passages.

Hey y'all I'm doing the TPR course starting 1/15/13. Just took a diagnostic and going to review that today. and go through some more tips and use SN2d ideas to better do the process. If anyone has taken a course what is the best way to prepare and get the most of out of the course?
We got this y'all just directed focus!!!

And also if we take it on the 24, you should have your score 4-5 days before the application day arrives.

Hey y'all I'm doing the TPR course starting 1/15/13. Just took a diagnostic and going to review that today. and go through some more tips and use SN2d ideas to better do the process. If anyone has taken a course what is the best way to prepare and get the most of out of the course?
We got this y'all just directed focus!!!

And also if we take it on the 24, you should have your score 4-5 days before the application day arrives.

I took the TPR course as well although I didn't really follow the SN2d method. First, although this may seem really obvious, go to all of your TPR classes. Once you start, there will be days you will feel like skipping. Even if you don't do any other prep that day, by going to class, you're spending a few hours doing content review, passage practice and get to ask questions with a live instructor. Besides, you paid all that money, why not go right? Second, go through as much of the TPR material as possible (especially the SW and VWB), but don't forget to integrate other prep material such as Kaplan and EK1001 series as well. Third, and this is one of the advantages no other prep can offer, ask your TPR teachers tons of questions, be it content or strategy related. These teachers are getting paid to help you excel on your MCAT, so don't be shy and take full use of this resource (and make use of their office hours).

Keep in mind that not every TPR strategy works for every person. There's no need to follow their instructions to the tee. If something works or you, then use it, if not, don't feel obligated to stick to that method just because TPR said so.

I'm in the april 24th category! I started semi-hardcore studying on monday, but I dont know a single thing from physics.. so I have to learn it from scratch. Not taking any classes and I have no responsibilities. Im taking a Kaplan course, and using TBR physics and GC, Kaplan for the rest. I have 101 verbal which should help a lot

Keep in mind that not every TPR strategy works for every person. There's no need to follow their instructions to the tee. If something works or you, then use it, if not, don't feel obligated to stick to that method just because TPR said so.

YES.

What are your thoughts on note taking during content review?
I feel like it's taking too long and I'm wasting my time, but it would be nice to have a short summary for quick review when our study time starts to run out. The Sn2 method seems to just emphasize a read through and doesn't discuss any sort of note taking. I've also read through the 30+ thread and most don't say whether they took notes or not.

I feel like it's taking too long and I'm wasting my time, but it would be nice to have a short summary for quick review when our study time starts to run out. The Sn2 method seems to just emphasize a read through and doesn't discuss any sort of note taking. I've also read through the 30+ thread and most don't say whether they took notes or not.
I was wondering the same thing. It is incredibly time consuming writing notes. I have less time to do practice problems/passages. I think I am going to switch over to just reading the chapters per EK instructions & take notes in the margins of the book, as recommended.

I just take notes on subjects I'am shaky on and make flashcards and reread them over and over again until it sticks.

My Princeton books came in 2 days ago, course starts in about 1.5 weeks. I'm getting a little bit of a head start on the books followed by corresponding free standing questions. So far so good. We're 3 months and 2 weeks out, hope studying is going well for everyone.

Question: does anyone here have prior experience with PR Verbal strategy? I'm not going to discredit it because i have not tried it yet, but thinking about it makes me nervous.

I gain a lot from writing info down and reviewing it, and thus far (on week 3) I've taken notes for every chapter. It's definitely time consuming, but it helps me hash out the concepts better than if I were to just read out of the book. Also, I like to think that the time I put in on content days evens out with the time I save on review days. Because on review days, I focus on my notes (pretty detailed and organized) vs. reading the entire chapter again. Also, after reviewing EK questions, I'll add to my notes anything I didn't have, based on practice questions I got wrong. This is helpful because I can ID where my content weaknesses are, but there are other ways to keep track of this.

I'm not good at making flashcards so that will not be part of my studying besides using the ones I've purchased. I'm currently using OneNote for some notes and handwriting others but I think I'm going to rewrite those and hand-write the rest. I just get stuck on perfection and can't stand messy notes which slows me down (OneNote helps with this, but obviously handwriting is better for memorization). Whereas if I were to read through and answer questions I'd be done in half the time (or less) and could read through a 2nd or 3rd time. Even if I stop note-taking I will still be making a formula sheet with side notes.

I guess I question it because when I had very content heavy semesters and my time to study was very limited (kinda like med school) I just added to the Powerpoints during lecture and just rewrote them on a whiteboard until it was memorized and I understood it. That method was nice because I didn't have to worry about being neat and if it was really important and needed to be reviewed a lot then I'd write it out on paper. By doing this I was able to review things 3-6 times before an exam rather than just twice like if I were rewriting them.

Please note that chapters in MCAT books are already summarized info (like what the Powerpoints were), and not that long, and I read fairly fast.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:
I'm not good at making flashcards so that will not be part of my studying besides using the ones I've purchased. I'm currently using OneNote for some notes and handwriting others but I think I'm going to rewrite those and hand-write the rest. I just get stuck on perfection and can't stand messy notes which slows me down (OneNote helps with this, but obviously handwriting is better for memorization). Whereas if I were to read through and answer questions I'd be done in half the time (or less) and could read through a 2nd or 3rd time. Even if I stop note-taking I will still be making a formula sheet with side notes.

I guess I question it because when I had very content heavy semesters and my time to study was very limited (kinda like med school) I just added to the Powerpoints during lecture and just rewrote them on a whiteboard until it was memorized and I understood it. That method was nice because I didn't have to worry about being neat and if it was really important and needed to be reviewed a lot then I'd write it out on paper. By doing this I was able to review things 3-6 times before an exam rather than just twice like if I were rewriting them.

Please note that chapters in MCAT books are already summarized info (like what the Powerpoints were), and not that long, and I read fairly fast.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

I like your train of thought and I agree with you on everything except for the last part. TBR has some really really dense chapters. Chapter 1 on orgo was 50+ pages long which is comparable to a textbook. That being said I always keep a notebook handy while I read to scribble down things that are odd, standout, or I know I am not retaining.

I like your train of thought and I agree with you on everything except for the last part. TBR has some really really dense chapters. Chapter 1 on orgo was 50+ pages long which is comparable to a textbook. That being said I always keep a notebook handy while I read to scribble down things that are odd, standout, or I know I am not retaining.

So you just read through with specific note-taking, not full out summarizing? I feel like that plus written repetition on a whiteboard may be the best way to go. Obviously it would be nice to have concise notes on each chapter to look back on in the midst of taking FLs but at that point you shouldn't be having to spend time searching through your notes. It'd be easier to do a quick google search on something in question or check the specific chapter for an explanation. I think I'm going to ditch summarizing the chapters and just write down formulas and side-notes along with paying close attention to questions I get wrong.

Anyone here taking a Kaplan course? If so, what do you guys think about the physics review notes book?

I'm taking it on April 24 as well! Just signed up for a 10-week intensive EK course starting in three weeks. Suggestions on what to do in the meantime? I feel like it doesn't make much sense to start the 3 month schedule for only a few weeks... I also work full time.

Started sn2ed's 3 month schedule today and I'm amped! Today was physics chapter 1 and towards the end of the section I was having difficulty understanding some of the concepts. So what I've decided to do was check out freelanceteach physics videos and see if it helps. Also found some vids on thenewboston.org so I will see if the videos help. I did the 3 warm up verbal passages at the beginning of the EK101, which were 17 questions in all but I only got 6 right so I was kinda duped about that. Now that I've started I realized I don't have all the recommended books so here's my question if anyone could help. I have BR Verbal, BR Physics, BR Organic and BR General Chem. I have EK Bio and Kaplan Bio. I have EK 1001 for physics, organic chem, and general chem. I don't have TPRH. So will EK and BR's verbal be adequate enough for verbal practice? And will EK's Bio review questions and 30 min exams be adequate for bio prep? Lastly, for clarification of the 3month plan, we do 2-3 verbal passages a day, not the full timed tests correct? Thus only taking full timed verbal sections once FL's start? Also, in my BR Physics I was confused with the "chapters" because BR's content is divided into sections and subsections. So take for instance translational motion, at the end of the full section is review questions and a review exam. So for the 1/3 questions system we're supposed to do questions # 1,4,7,etc and the 1st passage, 4th passage, 7th passage,etc for the first day? Then the 2nd 1/3 is questions #2,5,8, etc and passages 2,5,8? I hope I'm not confusing anyone:)

Taking it on the 24th. On the SN2ed schedule as well (3 month for now but will switch over to 4 month when semester starts). Using TBR Chem/Phys/Orgo, EK Bio, and Ek 101 Verbal.

@JazD - For the physics they give the "review exam" at the end of each section, I just use that as my first 1/3. Then I use the rest of the passages as the 2/3 and 3/3. It just works out simple that way. Or yeah you can do every 1/3 passage starting with the review exam ones onto the actual ones.

@Lamel We have the same study books lol..but u take the full review exam at the end of each section instead of just doing the numbers by every 3rd?