The Official April 24, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessDreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else on here taking it on the 24th? I'm going to start studying later this week. What is everyone else's study plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wild question, do any of you have 1 TBR CBT that your not gonna take before our exam? Since they expire, I was hoping I could use one of yours that will go to waste...

I just really dont want to do Kaplan for the 7th time because of their stupid curve and poir quality after FL6. And taking AAMC 3 (i only have 3,10, and 11 left) at this stage would be a waste of time.

Ideas? I could also just do the SAs for practice instead of a FL tomorrow.

Wild question, do any of you have 1 TBR CBT that your not gonna take before our exam? Since they expire, I was hoping I could use one of yours that will go to waste...

I just really dont want to do Kaplan for the 7th time because of their stupid curve and poir quality after FL6. And taking AAMC 3 (i only have 3,10, and 11 left) at this stage would be a waste of time.

Ideas? I could also just do the SAs for practice instead of a FL tomorrow.
Pretty sure TBR won't let
You use the exams. They check which computer you use and your IP address.

Yeah I agree. I only did TBR for Gen Chem and physics and TPR for Biology. TBR is insane for Biology so I kind of just skipped it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So after an atrocious kaplan 11 I'm glad to say that my AAMC 8 rebounded me back to a 39- 14/11/14!

I'm going to chalk that up to test exhaustion.

Let's go!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
that's dirty

Edit: That means you got like 2 wrong on PS, 2 wrong on BS, and like 6 wrong on Verbal? nuts And your probably gonna blow PS on AAMC 9 out of the water cuz it's even easier. Verbal might be a little tougher.

that's dirty

Edit: That means you got like 2 wrong on PS, 2 wrong on BS, and like 6 wrong on Verbal? nuts And your probably gonna blow PS on AAMC 9 out of the water cuz it's even easier. Verbal might be a little tougher.
I did 9 before and think I got a 36? But that was a couple weeks ago. I didn't do them in order.

When's aamc 10/11?

Which other ones are gonna take, I cant decide if I should do a 7th Kaplan test...
I am doing them next week I think. Kaplan 11 really screwed with my mental high so I want to steer clear from 10, but I might do the rest of them that I have left that are easier maybe? Who knows.... I'm just relieved!

I am doing them next week I think. Kaplan 11 really screwed with my mental high so I want to steer clear from 10, but I might do the rest of them that I have left that are easier maybe? Who knows.... I'm just relieved!

Nah man idk if you read anywhere but Kaplan 10 and 11 are full of **it

If you got around a 29 you did well. skip kaplan 10

Wow...seems like everyone here is killin' their AAMC FL tests! Wish I was doing the same, but my average is in the high 20's. I plan on applying to lower tier MD schools and DO schools...so I hope Ill be fine. Good luck to all next week.

Reactions: 1 users
So I took the Kaplan free practice test, and I have to say, the biology section was much more difficult than the AAMC FL's. Anyone else agree with that?

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't think you need extra time to review stuff from #11? I feel like I want Sun Night Mon, Tues, and Wed to work on things I still suck at/need last minute memorization

Then again, I am the biggest procrastinator ever

For those who are at the end of the Sn2ed schedule and doing the last 1/3 of passages, do you guys go over content one more time before doing the last 1/3, or do you just go at it?

Even going over content briefly (reviewing my notes and supplementing some weak areas), takes a lot of time. This exam is fast approaching.

Also, for those who are doing final content reviews, this is a good thread that matches the EK Bio stuff with relevant BR bio stuff so you can supplement further. It also has matching EK 1001 problems with BR topics. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ek-1001-matched-to-tbr-how-to-supplement-ek-bio.1021208/

For those who are at the end of the Sn2ed schedule and doing the last 1/3 of passages, do you guys go over content one more time before doing the last 1/3, or do you just go at it?

Even going over content briefly (reviewing my notes and supplementing some weak areas), takes a lot of time. This exam is fast approaching.

Also, for those who are doing final content reviews, this is a good thread that matches the EK Bio stuff with relevant BR bio stuff so you can supplement further. It also has matching EK 1001 problems with BR topics. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ek-1001-matched-to-tbr-how-to-supplement-ek-bio.1021208/

I just went ahead and did the last 1/3 without review. This way if I didn't know something I'd have that "Oh $#!%" moment.

I just went ahead and did the last 1/3 without review. This way if I didn't know something I'd have that "Oh $#!%" moment.

Ha I wish I could do this. I know bio content isn't even THAT important for the current MCAT (just basics really), but it's the bio major side of me that wants to know every process in more detail.

Does anyone know where I can find more practice with chemistry experiments? Kinda like the one that was on FL 3 (I think). I think i need more practice with that, but didnt really see anything of that sort.

Not sure maybe do kaplan section tests?

By the way Kaplan Organic and Bio High Yield problems at the back of the review books are terrific.

I was having a hard time with hormones, but decided to look up ways to remember them all. Many of these are NOT mine, so I dont mean to take credit for them. Anyways, I thought I would go ahead and share it here in case anyone else could use it.

Anterior Pituitary: (FLAT PiG)

FSH – Follicles and Sperm
LH – Estrogen and Testosterone; Ovulation
ACTH – Stimulation of Adrenal Cortex
TSH – Stimulation of Thyroid T3/T4

Prolactin – Milk production
ignore
GH – Growth of Cells

Posterior Pituitary: (AUDIO OSMOSIS)
ADH – “Always Digging Holes” for water reabsorption at the DCT
Oxytocin – Milk Ejection and Uterine Contraction

Adrenal Cortex (COAL)
CO
rtisol – Increase glucose levels
ALdosterone – All Dos

Adrenal Medulla (NOPE)
NO
repinephrine
EPinephrine

Thyroid (CT)
C
alcitonin – Decrease blood calcium (Minimize Metals for CT SCAN, plz)
T3/T4 – Increase metabolic rate

Parathryoid (PARATHYROID)

PARATHYROID Hormone – Increase blood calcium level

Pancreas (Part of the GI)
G
lucagon – Increase glucose levels (The GLUCose is GONe!)
Insulin – Decrease glucose levels; entry of glucose into cells

Ovaries
Estrogen
Progesterone

Testes
Testosterone

Placenta
HCG – Stimulate growth of Corpus Luteum and release of E&P
Estrogen
Progesterone

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,

Do you guys feel like you could know certain concepts better? I feel like I know the basics well and that on most tests I don't find too much of a content gap. But it seems like there are so many small concepts that I could forget on the real thing. I would just be annoying to have a test that is so focused on minor details ( I feel like I would do really poorly).

Hey guys,

Do you guys feel like you could know certain concepts better? I feel like I know the basics well and that on most tests I don't find too much of a content gap. But it seems like there are so many small concepts that I could forget on the real thing. I would just be annoying to have a test that is so focused on minor details ( I feel like I would do really poorly).

Yeah I mean you can't be an expert on everything with so much information, but if you can get the big picture of each section down then you can likely deduce the little details. However if you feel you are weak on the big picture for a topic, you should definitely review.

Opinions:

Should I take a day or two before the exam to go through ALL my FLs thus far and review wrong answers?

Chances are if I got it wrong once, I would make that mistake again.

Opinions:

Should I take a day or two before the exam to go through ALL my FLs thus far and review wrong answers?

Chances are if I got it wrong once, I would make that mistake again.

Taking the mcat for the first time last year my advice is just know your basics very well; really understand them. DOn't focus too much on specific detail. That will not be helpful on the real exam. The most current exams are based more on critical thinking, test taking skills vs recall of detail ( esp. for biology section). I did really well on my bio section last year; half of the section was experimental passages. Yes, I did need my general bio background to answer the questions but it really came down to how you interpret the data, think fast and critically under the time constraint.

So what are you guys doing in the last 9 days before the test?

I've got AAMC 5 on Thursday, and then I'm going to redo AAMC 7-11 PS/BS just to get in a little practice quickly analyzing experimental passages.

I'm going over all my notes tonight as a refresher before I do these last 3 practice tests.

AAMC 10 in the AM.

I am completing all the discrete questions in TPRH science workbook today and tomorrow. I have 680 questions left. Then I will be taking BR CBT #5 on Thursday along with about 30 practice passages. I have AAMC 10 and 11 still. Should I take 11 on Tuesday or Wednesday?

I am completing all the discrete questions in TPRH science workbook today and tomorrow. I have 680 questions left. Then I will be taking BR CBT #5 on Thursday along with about 30 practice passages. I have AAMC 10 and 11 still. Should I take 11 on Tuesday or Wednesday?

I'd say Tuesday. We're testing on Thursday, rest your mind the day before.

Damn I meant Monday or Tuesday?

Oh I gotcha, I'd do Monday. I'm taking AAMC 11 on Monday as well. Plan on going to the test center on Tuesday to figure out location/parking and also to verify that I can use disposable earplugs (I heard that this differs with testing centers). Wednesday- rest my mind. Thursday- get in that a**.

Oh I gotcha, I'd do Monday. I'm taking AAMC 11 on Monday as well. Plan on going to the test center on Tuesday to figure out location/parking and also to verify that I can use disposable earplugs (I heard that this differs with testing centers). Wednesday- rest my mind. Thursday- get in that a**.
You're seriously aren't gonna do anything on Wednesdays?

You're seriously aren't gonna do anything on Wednesdays?

Seriously. I've done everything in my power to get ready for this test.
Wednesday? I'm going to my favorite dinner spot and going to see Captain America (alone). After that, going straight to bed. It's all a confidence game from here.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1397612512.733922.jpg

9 days left. Let's do this!

This question has been driving me nuts since Bio 101.

Can someone please explain in a makeshift chart or something how many chromosomes (23/46), chromatids (using X or I), and diploid/haploid for a cell throughout its life cycle?
Like at G1, after S, during Mitosis (and for Meiosis).

Every source I looked at is only confusing me more.

Thanks in advance guys

Edit: Here's the question that's pissed me off btw

Attachments

• Chromosome Question.PNG
    Chromosome Question.PNG
    33 KB · Views: 50
During S phase is when the cell is replicating DNA and getting ready for mitosis. Therefore a cell has 46 single chromosomes total (23 pairs). After replication of DNA, each single chromosome makes a copy so now you have 92 chromosomes. However, the trick is that since they are copies, they aren't "new" chromosomes so it's still 2n. 2n meaning 2(23).

During S phase is when the cell is replicating DNA and getting ready for mitosis. Therefore a cell has 46 single chromosomes total (23 pairs). After replication of DNA, each single chromosome makes a copy so now you have 92 chromosomes. However, the trick is that since they are copies, they aren't "new" chromosomes so it's still 2n. 2n meaning 2(23).

okay, you kinda lost me there. Ive read it several times now, and its still not making sense to me.
Starting at the beginning, when we are talking Diploid and Haploid, its ONLY pertains to Meiosis right? I dont ever remember learning about changes to the ploidy number in mitosis. Also, I doubt I've ever heard about S phases for germ cells, and thats kinda throwing me off here, so I also think thats why I'm just not getting it.

okay, you kinda lost me there. Ive read it several times now, and its still not making sense to me.
Starting at the beginning, when we are talking Diploid and Haploid, its ONLY pertains to Meiosis right? I dont ever remember learning about changes to the ploidy number in mitosis. Also, I doubt I've ever heard about S phases for germ cells, and thats kinda throwing me off here, so I also think thats why I'm just not getting it.
We are talking about mitosis here, not meiosis.

This is what happens in S phase. The chromosome number does not change.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    8.6 KB · Views: 35