The Official April 24, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessDreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else on here taking it on the 24th? I'm going to start studying later this week. What is everyone else's study plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So for double slit experiments can we assume sindeta = deta (for the double slit equations) to solve any problems given ?

Still have 10 and 11 left, but haven't even seen a double slit experiment. Are they going to test on this? I read all of TPR and they didn't mention it, and TBR barely touched on it.

Still have 10 and 11 left, but haven't even seen a double slit experiment. Are they going to test on this? I read all of TPR and they didn't mention it, and TBR barely touched on it.

I'm going through all the topics on aamc guideline. I haven't seen any either on aamc exams. But anything is a fair game right ?

A. Light (Electromagnetic Radiation)
1. Concept of interference, Young’s double-slit experiment Content Outline for Physical Sciences Section of the MCAT
2. Thin films, diffraction grating, single-slit diffraction
3. Other diffraction phenomena, X-ray diffraction

Members don't see this ad :)
So for double slit experiments can we assume sindeta = deta (for the double slit equations) to solve any problems given ?

Yes, you can use that approximation since the angle is very small. This equation/approximation will be given in the passage though.

Difference btw hydronium and hydrogen?

Hydronium is h3O+
Hydrogen is H+

In acid/base, when it's talking about hydronium , it's just H+ essentially and i can use them interchangably correct?

Ya, remember water self ionizes in an equilibrium reaction between OH- and H3O+. The name of H3O+ is the hydronium ion and its going to donate an H+ since it's an acid.

Just don't confuse the hydronium ion for elemental hydrogen.

PS - sorry for double post

Just took AAMC 10 this morning.

15 PS 8 VR 13 BS

Should I start worrying?

Took 5 days off before taking AAMC 10. I was more clear minded for this one and answered on instincts without overanalyzing the questions all the time and it really helped improve by PS and BS, however I am in the same boat with you for verbal -_- I think its because i keep scoring low to begin with that I overanalyze the question stems and answer choices right from the beginning. Still upset, but glad I finally broke my 36 barrier with the AAMC.

14 PS 9Vr 14 BS

Going to take a couple more days off before taking AAMC 11, Ill keep everyone posted :)

Reactions: 1 users
Took my last AAMC (5) today! Got a 31, which while isn't bad isn't where I want to score on the real thing.

However, I'm encouraged that my AAMC average is a 31, with a (10/11/10) split, so we will see how I do on test day!

Any secondary resources you guys would recommend for the last few days before the test?

So I took AAMC 9, and i scored a 26. 2 questions away from a 28.

What ridiculous is that I got 100% on all the hard questions for all sections (Im actually pleastly proud of that), but missed 50% of the medium, and missed almost 100% of the easy questions. Am I just an idiot or what?

Am I the only who misses all the supposedly easy questions?

What ridiculous is that I got 100% on all the hard questions for all sections (Im actually pleastly proud of that), but missed 50% of the medium, and missed almost 100% of the easy questions. Am I just an idiot or what?

What was your breakdown?

I scored a 29 on AAMC 10 yesterday (11/8/10)

Currently taking The Princeton Review Cracking Test 1- Just finished Verbal and i'm pretty sure I just got slaughtered. About to start BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. 6 days to go. Just do our best on that day.
What are you going to have for breakfast on that day? What kind of snacks will you bring with you?
We may totally lose our appetite on the test day. :)
I'm thinking 3 egg white and 2 full eggs. Small bowl of oatmeal with some strawberries.

Hey guys so we can write on the scratch paper before the exams begins ? any of you planning on taking advantage of that

Hey guys so we can write on the scratch paper before the exams begins ? any of you planning on taking advantage of that

I would come up with a formula sheet of all the unusual formulas (derived) and formulas you tend to forget.
Do you guys want to come up with a good formula sheet together and share? We can just reply with good formulas. I'll start out.

how about Mv^2/r = QvB therefore Mv/r = QB so B increases, radius decreases

Here's another good one that can save time if you are confused on a buoyancy question:

MG / Fbouyant = Density object / Density fluid
MG / Weight-Apparent Weight = Density Object / Density Fluid

Last edited:

Half the time on the AAMC practice tests the "easy" questions seem almost too easy, so I think it's easy to doubt yourself and think "OMG this is a practice MCAT every question should be hard".

I think the best strategy is just to answer with your best knowledge and move on, especially for practice tests. If you got it wrong, you'll learn the concept and why you got it wrong during post-test breakdown, if you got it right, you'll know your instincts were correct!

I would come up with a formula sheet of all the unusual formulas (derived) and formulas you tend to forget.
Do you guys want to come up with a good formula sheet together and share? We can just reply with good formulas. I'll start out.

how about Mv^2/r = QvB therefore Mv/r = QB so B increases, radius decreases

Here's another good one that can save time if you are confused on a buoyancy question:

MG / Fbouyant = Density object / Density fluid
MG / Weight-Apparent Weight = Density Object / Density Fluid
I got one I got one. MCAT = SUX

Me tooo I bombed this one, got a 9 ... my first score on AAMC below an 11 I usually rely on verbal to carry my PS scores so I am worried

I am too :( I've been scoring 9-11 on the other AAMCs I got a 7 on this one. I felt like the passages were more straightforward but the questions were harder. I'm not sure what to expect.

Great. I'm gonna get like a 6
Don't have that mindset! Everyone is different with verbal.

It just stresses me out knowing my chance to medical school pretty much relies on how I perform on verbal ; since my other scores are good.

Don't have that mindset! Everyone is different with verbal.

It just stresses me out knowing my chance to medical school pretty much relies on how I perform on verbal ; since my other scores are good.
Hahahaha you're in the same position as me. I'm scoring 10-12 in sciences, 7-8 in verbal.

just finished AAMC 9.

31: 12/9/10

I really cracked down these few days on PS and so I'm happy with my performance there but I neglected BS and forgot small subtleties. By far, my number one issue continues to be simple errors in my calculations or incorrectly marking the answers. I finished PS with about 5 minutes to spare and in that section I had about 5 silly mistakes. That cost me a 13.

In BS, I hadn't looked at it in about 4 days so I've lost a little bit of familiarity with it. I noticed that the majority of my answers were right answers changed to wrong ones. Thankfully, I'm very good at bio and think about 1 day of review there will help me regain confidence in my first answers.

I did get all of the orgo right! This is huge as I have spent the larger portion of two days crash coursing orgo (I did really well in the classes, I'm not learning new things just putting them back into circulation mentally). SO thankfully my weak area in BS was the physio which I usually thrive in.

VR......this one was tough. A LOT more subjective than usual. A LOT.

GUNNING FOR THAT 12/10/12 !!!! I'm getting closer!

Despite being displeased with another 31, I'm sure glad I'm at least consistently breaking 30.

which one is the cracking test ? Is it he same as regular TPR exam ?

Well there are a few different kinds of the TPR tests, there are three tests in the Cracking series though. I've heard they are harder, just wanted to get other thoughts on it too!

just finished AAMC 9.

31: 12/9/10

I really cracked down these few days on PS and so I'm happy with my performance there but I neglected BS and forgot small subtleties. By far, my number one issue continues to be simple errors in my calculations or incorrectly marking the answers. I finished PS with about 5 minutes to spare and in that section I had about 5 silly mistakes. That cost me a 13.

In BS, I hadn't looked at it in about 4 days so I've lost a little bit of familiarity with it. I noticed that the majority of my answers were right answers changed to wrong ones. Thankfully, I'm very good at bio and think about 1 day of review there will help me regain confidence in my first answers.

I did get all of the orgo right! This is huge as I have spent the larger portion of two days crash coursing orgo (I did really well in the classes, I'm not learning new things just putting them back into circulation mentally). SO thankfully my weak area in BS was the physio which I usually thrive in.

VR......this one was tough. A LOT more subjective than usual. A LOT.

GUNNING FOR THAT 12/10/12 !!!! I'm getting closer!

Despite being displeased with another 31, I'm sure glad I'm at least consistently breaking 30.
That's awesome! Congrats! How did you like that earthquake PS passage? Lol

W/e man, i was talking about derivations of the formulas we all already know that could be helpful

Common formula derivations I have found.

T = 1/f --> f = (1/2pi)*sqrt(g/L) & f = (1/2pi)*sqrt(m/k)

qvB = qE --> v =E/B

For springs that are in series you add the spring constants --> F = (k1 + k2)x

Whenever a passage gives a complex formula for fundamental frequency for stringed instruments. We can relate it to fundamental wavelength via the wavelenth = 2L/n and frequency = nv/2L.

W/B = density(ob)/density(liquid)

MCAT Trickery
--> In atherosclerosis you would think that shrinking vessels increase pressure at the site of constriction since BP increase. Pressure actually decreases at these points due to what we have learned in fluid dynamics. It is the total peripheral vascular resistance that increases and predisposes to high BP.
--> Oxytocin and ADH are merely secreted by Post Pit, MADE in hypothalamus

Something of things I can think of off the top of my head. These concepts have popped up multiple times and are not super straight forward. Would love to see if you guys have some more to add to this list.

Also I just took GS 3 today and got 14 PS 11 VR and 12 BS. Anyone who has taken GS exams care to comment on the difficult of this exam? I got lower scores on GS 5, 6 and 7.

Reactions: 1 users
L
That's awesome! Congrats! How did you like that earthquake PS passage? Lol
Like a blind man at an orgy, I had to feel my way through that.

Seriously though, I got the "why does light travel slower through denser materials?" question wrong because I answered something about having to do with interactions with the nucleus. It was kind of a left field question but it did answer an important question I've been having lately on the nature of light's velocity in a medium and why it was slower in different mediums.

L

Like a blind man at an orgy, I had to feel my way through that.

Seriously though, I got the "why does light travel slower through denser materials?" question wrong because I answered something about having to do with interactions with the nucleus. It was kind of a left field question but it did answer an important question I've been having lately on the nature of light's velocity in a medium and why it was slower in different mediums.
Yeah I got the one wrong about wavelengths as
Wel

How about that question involving the Pepsin A experiment that was actually just asking you to identify the control samples?

It's questions like those that I don't study or go over simply because the question wasn't difficult but they didn't want to simply ask you to identify the control samples. No, instead they came up with a question stem that was so absolutely abhorrent to rational thinking that only a guess could field the correct answer.

You simply can't study for something like that.

To me, AAMC10 verbal is easier than AAMC 9. But, I can't find the right answers and the curve is more tough. I had the lowest verbal score 8. But, my AAMC 9 verbal was 13 even I didn't really have enough time to read/answer the last passage.
I really don't see how MCAT can test my intelligence. It just tests how lucky I am on the test day. If I am lucky, I can get 13/13/11 (my highest score in each section) and go to top 20 school. If I am not lucky, I can get 9/8/8. I don't have to go to any school.

I agree. I scored a 34 on AAMC 9 and a 29 AAMC 10 due to verbal.

What should I study.....

I dont feel like doing EK 1001. Doing it on Bio, where I need the most help, but it seems they test things that are somewhat unnecessary for the exam.
I can work on verbal passages, but its kind of a waste of time.
I can review content....

What do you all think is best?

Do some more content review and TBR passages? That's what I am doing...kind of tired of it though. But I know for a fact that the stuff that I don't review will end up on the exam.

I'm going to stick to just AAMC stuff until the exam, because I don't want to stuff my brain with information that might be un-necessary at the end of the day. I'm going to re-do AAMC 10-11 PS/BS to familiarize myself with the most difficult type of conceptual questions that can be asked and hopefully that'll be enough.

6 days...

I'm going to stick to just AAMC stuff until the exam, because I don't want to stuff my brain with information that might be un-necessary at the end of the day. I'm going to re-do AAMC 10-11 PS/BS to familiarize myself with the most difficult type of conceptual questions that can be asked and hopefully that'll be enough.

6 days...

im pretty sure you are good to go as is

So if any of you are having trouble with waves, this may help you to come to speaking terms with subject. I know when I watched this about three weeks ago, things clicked.

Reactions: 2 users
Im hitting TBR for acids bases/magnetism, chad videos while i walk and eat, kaplan high yield problems for orgo and bio in the car or when im bored, try to squeeze in another kaplan topical in redox. Then obv AAMC 11.
Official Guide to MCAT will take priority over both of those when/if i get it today or tomorrow.
The rest will be formula review and mcatreview website. Possibly kaplan flex sessions if i have time.

I'm a crammer through and through so this week is go time.

I'm hitting Examkrackers 1001 on all things redox, thermodynamics, and electricity for this weekend.