The Official April 24, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessDreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else on here taking it on the 24th? I'm going to start studying later this week. What is everyone else's study plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
12 ps, 12 vr, 13 bs. I was pretty sure I was going to end up with a 33-35 though I PTed around 36. My GPA is 10th percentile just about everywhere, so I'm beyond relieved.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a 10PS/10VR/11BS for a 31. I can't complain! Thought I did worse on the bio for sure so I'm stoked.

Reactions: 1 users
Test Date: 4/24/14
Post-Test Expected Score: 35-38
Actual Score: 36 (13/11/12)
Comments: About what I expected. AAMC average was a 37, so 1 point below. I am aiming high, but I think I can work with this score.

Reactions: 2 users
Post-Test Expected Score: 35-38
Actual Score: 36 (13/11/12)
Comments: About what I expected. AAMC average was a 37, so 1 point below. I am aiming high, but I think I can work with this score.

Posting like this would be very helpful.. Best of luck to all!

So excited!

A little surprised by PS and BS but hey no complaints!

10/11/14 for a 35! Us old folks can get 90th percentile too!

Reactions: 5 users
Post-Test Expected Score: 32-36
Actual Score: 35 (13/11/11)
Comments: My AAMC Scores ranged from 32-38, so I guess it's about average. I thought I killed Bio and got destroyed by physics but my scores are the other way around.
Idk, I just feel very confused now. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone and I'm not sure where to go now. I really need pretty high score to counteract a plummeting senior year GPA.

I'm promise, I'm not trying to be an assholee - I know that I got a good score. But my retake # was 35 and now I'm not sure if I want to go through the whole goddigity unpredictable maelstrom again.

Average Practice Test: 28-30
Actual Score: 23 (7 ps / 11 vr / 5 bs)
Comments: Guess I'm not applying to medical schools this year after all. I felt like crap about the BS section but I would never have imagined doing that badly. Knew I should have voided the score. Normally got like a 9/11/9 on my practice tests with my best being a 33 one time. I'm so upset and angry with myself right now.

PS: Hopefully this helps a few people feel good about their score...

Got a 29 (11/9/9) and I have a 3.5 exactly. I am applying ASAP when it opens. Please tell me I have a chance guys???

Test date: 4/24/14
Post-test expected score: 29-32
Actual Score: 36 (11/10/15)
Comments: Yay! I'm ecstatic. It's not balanced but its almost my best ever in each section. So thankful I am done with the MCAT! My AAMC practice test range was 32-34.

Last edited:
Welp, congrats to everyone!

Post Test Expected Score: 27 (12/6/9)
Practice Test Ranges: 27-31 (scored 31 on AAMC #10 and 29 on AAMC #11)
ACTUAL MCAT: 31 (11/9/11)

Thought I did better in PS, but Ill take that verbal! OMG I am so surprised and confused. I would have placed 500k down that I got below 8 on the verbal. I know 9 isn't great, but for me I never broke 9 on ANY practice material (EK or TPRH or AAMCs).

Reactions: 7 users
Post-Test Expected Score: 30-34
Actual Score: 37 (14/9/14)
Comments: I topped out on AAMC at about 34 averaging like 32.5. VR was always my weak point and I averaged at 9s, so I'm okay with that. Definitely did not expect the 14 on bio since it was so freakin weird, but overall i'm ecstatic. TPR was dope to study with, definitely recommend it if you make the full use of all their materials.

TEST DATE: 4/24/14
POST TEST EXPECTED SCORE: 27-31
ACTUAL SCORE: 29 (9/8/12)
AVERAGE AAMC MCAT SCORE: 29

COMMENTS: Well, I always planned on applying top DO schools. I have a 3.9 GPA and a solid application. I hope that I'm a lock for DO, and maybe some MD schools will take a look at me. Thank G-d for my bio section score! I actually thought I rocked the verbal...on the AAMC's I was scoring between 9-11 on verbal...oh well...

I used Kaplan material. It was good for Bio, but horrible for PS and VR. Stick with EK for VR and find something else for PS...all in all, Im happy with my performance.

12/10/11

YYEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!

I'm a 23yr old male and I'm literally going to cry today.

I'm in my lab but when I checked my score I had to walk into the hallway and jump a couple of times. I haven't smiled this much in a LONG time.

THE HARDEST PART IS OVER! THANK YOU GOD!

Synaptic, I'm SO happy for you!!! You broke 30!!!! MED SCHOOL BOUND BABY!!

TEST DATE: 4/24/14
POST TEST EXPECTED SCORE: 27-31
ACTUAL SCORE: 29 (9/8/12)
AVERAGE AAMC MCAT SCORE: 29

COMMENTS: Well, I always planned on applying top DO schools. I have a 3.9 GPA and a solid application. I hope that I'm a lock for DO, and maybe some MD schools will take a look at me. Thank G-d for my bio section score! I actually thought I rocked the verbal...on the AAMC's I was scoring between 9-11 on verbal...oh well...

I used Kaplan material. It was good for Bio, but horrible for PS and VR. Stick with EK for VR and find something else for PS...all in all, Im happy with my performance.

Honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't completely rule out MD schools. Your MCAT score is not horrible, and your GPA is great! I totally wish I had that GPA. My friend had a 29 mcat score, and is now at a top California med school. It's doable, just emphasize your other areas. Not everyone is great at taking tests.

Post-Test Expected Score: 29-31
Actual Score: 27 (9/8/10)
Comments: My average was a 30. I don't know what happened. I am SOOOOOOO disappointed. To retake or not? Unfortunately I am not one of those people who has a spare 300 laying around to register. Also.... if I do retake can I submit my application on June 3rd still and just put that I will be retaking in July?

I feel the same way. My aamc average was 30 (sd=o). I'm saying screw it and applying early decision to my state MD program and hoping I can land a "top" DO school. Taking this test again will just hold things up for me. I gave it my all and don't think I will improve.
I feel SOOO much better knowing someone else is in a similar situation. My only thing is I would do early decision, but I would want to do it for my home state... not the state I just moved to to do teach for america. Grrrr.

Post-Test Expected Score: 25-28
AAMC Avg: 30 (10.2/9/10.8) (I'm a re-taker and expected inflation)
Actual Score: 32 (11/10/11)

upload_2014-5-28_16-32-29.png

@SynapticDoctah I'm glad we both did it, 30+ club!

@Lamel and @ConsultantMD and anyone else that answered my questions. Thank you very much and good luck with your apps!

Last edited:

12/10/11

YYEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!

I'm a 23yr old male and I'm literally going to cry today.

I'm in my lab but when I checked my score I had to walk into the hallway and jump a couple of times. I haven't smiled this much in a LONG time.

THE HARDEST PART IS OVER! THANK YOU GOD!

Synaptic, I'm SO happy for you!!! You broke 30!!!! MED SCHOOL BOUND BABY!!

Thanks! 33! Nice! I am just hoping I can get into a lower tier MD school. I have a low GPA 3.3 and Ca resident

Honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't completely rule out MD schools. Your MCAT score is not horrible, and your GPA is great! I totally wish I had that GPA. My friend had a 29 mcat score, and is now at a top California med school. It's doable, just emphasize your other areas. Not everyone is great at taking tests.
Thanks for the support!

For anyone taking tests in the future and are reading this, DO NOT GO BY GUT FEELING. I swore to my entire family that I scored 27 and that there was NO WAY I scored above 7 in VR. Even if you feel super crappy, just trust your averages!

Reactions: 3 users
For anyone taking tests in the future and are reading this, DO NOT GO BY GUT FEELING. I swore to my entire family that I scored 27 and that there was NO WAY I scored above 7 in VR. Even if you feel super crappy, just trust your averages!

After highways and presidents, I wanted to void and walk out crying. I don't know how on Earth I doubled my VR score, but I am glad that this exam is behind me.

Post-Test Expected Score: 29
Actual Score: 25 (P8/V9/B8)
Comments: Extremely disappointed, not even going to try US MD this year. I'll shoot for DO and Caribbean.

In retrospect, I'm pretty fortunate things turned out the way it did.

No matter what decision we have to make or how tough it seems - retake, keep,apply, wait - I wish everyone the best of luck and the strength to see it through. Today has been harrowing day for everyone and the zebra. I can't believe the wait is over, but thanks for being a part of it with me.

Post-Test Expected Score: 28-32
Actual Score: 32 (11/10/11)
Comments: I'm astounded that my VR was so low...thought for sure that would be my highest. In fact I never scored below a 12 in any of my practice tests:( But I suppose I'm mostly content with this score. Definitely don't want to risk a retake!