The Official April 24, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessDreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else on here taking it on the 24th? I'm going to start studying later this week. What is everyone else's study plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Having problems with the verbal reasoning deduction questions.... Anyone have any suggestions other than reading the explanations to improve deductive reasoning skills?

I have 101 Passages from examkrackers and I just did the first three practice passages from TPRH -- will do 1-2 FL verbal sections before the practice exams this weekend to see if I can bump my VR score.

i got a 4 on the actual verbal on my mcat last may. Yes its embarrasing! Ive started doing the EK 101 passages, and have been getting 10's on the last 3 that I took in that book (Tests 7, 8, and 9)

I found that the biggest improvements came from:

1. Make yourself interested, and that starts with the proper posture!
2. Reading at a fast, but steady pace where you actually can comprehend what you are reading. Dont take your time, or you wont finish.
3. Actually try and Comprehend what you are reading. Build a mental picture, or put yourself in the situation of the author. Figure out what topic the author is really discussing, and what is his or her position or point on the topic.
3. Dont get distracted with answers that are verbatim from the passage. They tend to be wrong unless the questions are asking for information directly from the passage. Also dont choose an answer because it just repeats something that might have been said in the passage.
4. Around 30 minutes into the test, you may begin to lose focus, and slow down your reading pace. When you realize you are doing this, take a deep breath, and go back b/c you werent paying attention deep enough to be able to realize this and FOCUS yourself. Remind yourself that you must finish all the passages before time is called, so pick up that pace!

Those are the changes I made to improve my score. I hope it helps someone.

Reactions: 2 users
i got a 4 on the actual verbal on my mcat last may. Yes its embarrasing! Ive started doing the EK 101 passages, and have been getting 10's on the last 3 that I took in that book (Tests 7, 8, and 9)

I found that the biggest improvements came from:

1. Make yourself interested, and that starts with the proper posture!
2. Reading at a fast, but steady pace where you actually can comprehend what you are reading. Dont take your time, or you wont finish.
3. Actually try and Comprehend what you are reading. Build a mental picture, or put yourself in the situation of the author. Figure out what topic the author is really discussing, and what is his or her position or point on the topic.
3. Dont get distracted with answers that are verbatim from the passage. They tend to be wrong unless the questions are asking for information directly from the passage. Also dont choose an answer because it just repeats something that might have been said in the passage.
4. Around 30 minutes into the test, you may begin to lose focus, and slow down your reading pace. When you realize you are doing this, take a deep breath, and go back b/c you werent paying attention deep enough to be able to realize this and FOCUS yourself. Remind yourself that you must finish all the passages before time is called, so pick up that pace!

Those are the changes I made to improve my score. I hope it helps someone.

Wow thanks a lot man, I really appreciate this. I too have been scoring low (~6) and when I see someone who has improved to a 9 or 10, I get motivated. Thanks a lot for your great tips.

Are you using only EK101? Which test #s are you getting those 10 in?

Wow thanks a lot man, I really appreciate this. I too have been scoring low (~6) and when I see someone who has improved to a 9 or 10, I get motivated. Thanks a lot for your great tips.

Are you using only EK101? Which test #s are you getting those 10 in?

I was referring to the EK 101 passages that I've started doing really well on. I havent retaken the AAMC's FLs yet. What I've heard is that EK verbal is harder than the real thing, and people say you will typically get +1 on the real thing.

Some I've noticed on the EK passages are that the logic behind some of the answers can be really questionable at times. I've read on here that people think that TPR Hyperlearning Verbal comparatively better to the MCAT since the style is consistent, unlike EK. Regardless, it makes for great practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Khan Academy has some videos for the MCAT, along with 2 passages w/ 5 questions each in each subsection. I think they partnered up with the AAMC to produce these videos.

make sure content review videos are the only types of youtube videos you are passing your time with until 4/24..

Just took Kaplan FL # 11. (PS5/VR7/BS5) Took this to see where I was at this moment in time. (Needed a low score to motivate myself.) This FL was brutal. There have been threads dealing with Kaplan FL's 10 & 11 discussing whether to throw them out or not, due to their destruction of confidence. I decided to take one of them now instead of later.

Unfortunately, I haven't completed my bio OR physics review. Almost all passages on the physical sciences section were topics I haven't covered, and the bio section was mostly orgo (weird). I was pretty satisfied with my VR score, seeing how many people didn't score higher than a 5 in this section on this FL.

Lets stay motivated and keep pushing, time flies when you study for the MCAT!

Reviewing TBR # 3...here's to a speedy review full of learning and more!

Anyone else here done with SN2ed (mostly ) and doing full-lengths now with some practice passages?

AAMC7- 26 (9/8/9)

Ahh, yet to break a 10 in any section but i'm going to keep working. My last 2 FL's were:

TPR- 24 (8/8/8)
AAMC 10- 24 (8/8/8)

Hopefully i keep the improvements going, as my goal is a 28+. I'll be taking TPR1 this Saturday.

Hey guys. I'm getting ready to officially sign up for the MCAT and I'm debating between 04-24 and 05-08 test dates. The 05-08 test date is at 1:00PM and that afternoon time may be optimal for me being that I'm hardly a morning person. Also been thinking the extra 2 weeks may be needed in case I have to revert back to some deeper content reviewing while I'm taking FL's during the 2nd part of my study prep. But then amcas is opening up May 1 for the 2015 cycle. Bummer. I'll be a month behind before I get my score back. And I'm not sending in my primaries until this score is back. Why so early this time and not the usual june?

Last edited:
AAMC7- 26 (9/8/9)

Ahh, yet to break a 10 in any section but i'm going to keep working. My last 2 FL's were:

TPR- 24 (8/8/8)
AAMC 10- 24 (8/8/8)

Hopefully i keep the improvements going, as my goal is a 28+. I'll be taking TPR1 this Saturday.
3 Tests in and u are only 2 points shy of ur goal score. Looks like somebody will be breaking 10's on their real exam..Keep at it!:thumbup:

Tried to do the SN2ed method but I don't think it's fit for me. I'm a tutor for biology and chemistry 1, so I'm around these topics constantly. Retaking Chemistry 2 right now so I'm focusing on physics. My organic book just came yesterday. Anyone else using the new 2013 examkrackers orgo book? I feel like it should be sufficient.

Took my first practice exam two weeks ago before any orgo studying and got a 22 (8PS 6VS 8BS) with 25% correct in organic. Next practice exam is Saturday, then another Sunday.

Only about half way through TBR Physics, but I'm definitely WORLDS ahead from where I started. I've actually become excited to study more and more for this test -- weird.

Having problems with the verbal reasoning deduction questions.... Anyone have any suggestions other than reading the explanations to improve deductive reasoning skills?

I have 101 Passages from examkrackers and I just did the first three practice passages from TPRH -- will do 1-2 FL verbal sections before the practice exams this weekend to see if I can bump my VR score.
Not weird at all that u are excited about studying! Most of us here are too!! I think the most important part in this whole thing is actually having a good attitude about it. I truly believe thats the only way to beat this monster anyway.

Hey guys. I'm getting ready to officially sign up for the MCAT and I'm debating between 04-24 and 05-08 test dates. The 05-08 test date is at 1:00PM and that afternoon time may be optimal for me being that I'm hardly a morning person. Also been thinking the extra 2 weeks may be needed in case I have to revert back to some deeper content reviewing while I'm taking FL's during the 2nd part of my study prep. But then amcas is opening up May 1 for the 2015 cycle. Bummer. I'll be a month behind before I get my score back. And I'm not sending in my primaries until this score is back. Why so early this time and not the usual june?

NVM..it opens for submission june 3. Well I've decided 05-08 it is. I'll stick it out here on this thread too :)

I have to fly to my other house since all the test dates in the state Im currently in are all booked up until May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else on here taking it on the 24th? I'm going to start studying later this week. What is everyone else's study plan?
TPR Classes got a 20 on my first TPR Practice 1(PS 7, OChem 8, and Verbal 5) slightly nervous now, but hey, it's supposed to get better and TPR tests are pretty hard from starting.

Anyway, let's see.

Who else is purely self-studying for this? Saturday I'm going to campus and doing passages all morning. Hope to take my first FL next week.... Want to take one now but I'm not done with my content review -- I'd like to at least see each topic once before I read explanations for answers on a FL.

Who else is purely self-studying for this? Saturday I'm going to campus and doing passages all morning. Hope to take my first FL next week.... Want to take one now but I'm not done with my content review -- I'd like to at least see each topic once before I read explanations for answers on a FL.
I am purely self-studying for this test. I am currently doing content review and practice questions along with 3 Verbal passages each morning. Once I finish the content review, I will take a practice test...I may have to go back and review some more content depending on what I score, 9 weeks, 14 hours, 37 minutes left....but who's counting?!

TPR Classes got a 20 on my first TPR Practice 1(PS 7, OChem 8, and Verbal 5) slightly nervous now, but hey, it's supposed to get better and TPR tests are pretty hard from starting.

Anyway, let's see.
I have taken a PR course and their tests are hard in the beginning, but your scores will increase, they have to!!! Just keep pushing :)

I have taken a PR course and their tests are hard in the beginning, but your scores will increase, they have to!!! Just keep pushing :)

I really hope so! :sour:

So far:
TPR Free Diagnostic Test- 19
TPR 4- 24 (Took 1 week ago)

I'll be taking TPR1 FL Sunday morning. I don't mind if I go up 1 freaking point, as long as gradual improvements are being made.

About how long did it take for you to see a decent increase in your scores?

I sure do wish that! Thank you for the support.

How's studying going for you?
Pretty intense..a little over halfway done with biology and gen chem..but I'm stalled on ch 5 in both physics and orgo out of 16 chapters each. Learning a lot of new material in physics is really hurting my review. Orgo is just ugh..learning rules then exceptions to those rules, then exceptions to the exceptions to the rules. Orgo as a subject just need a 100% revamp if u ask me. But I just figured to keep moving forward in chapters even if i can't master certain subjects for the sake of getting to the 2nd part of my prep.

What is everyone's goal as far as content review and quizzing? When does everyone plan to start doing FL AAMC tests? I feel like I'm behind and I should be finished with content review by now -- but I'm nowhere close.

I'm essentially 90% done with chemistry, 40% through physics using TBR, 40% biology, and maybe 30% orgo....

Hello my fellow April 24th-ers! I haven't posted in a few weeks...let's just say Murphy's law times two sums up my last few weeks:(. Anyway, there has been a serious CHANGE in my study schedule. I felt like I needed an in-depth content review, however, after seriously sitting down and understanding my goals for the MCAT and feeling behind, unmotivated, a little angry and just plain lost...I realized that 85-90% of my personal prep needs to be doing QUESTIONS/PASSAGES, I was spending too much time reading and re-reading chapters that I felt counterproductive (the same feeling I was getting when I took the MCAT before)....in my moment of desperation and feeling discouraged, I started Googling "MCAT study schedules"and came upon a blog of a 2014 accepted med student (check it out at http://5yearjourneyblog.wordpress.com/2014/01/24/the-re-take/ ) She kind of followed SN2ed's schedule but used mcat-review.org for review (Instead of reading TBR and EK chapters) and for questions and passages she did use the TBR and EK books.

This has been working for me (with a few of my own twists) because the mcat-review.org website has very organized outlines that follow the AAMC list of tested topics VERBATIM...so you can check off what you have went over for the day (I love checking off stuff ;)). I paid the $15 to get the detailed outlines and something called the MCAT Project which gives tips and shortcuts for the MCAT. You get the $15 back after you take your MCAT if you submit a helpful tip/shortcut on how to attack certain problems.

Anyway this post is getting longer than I planned so please PM me if you want to know more about my specific study schedule and if you want a serious study/accountability partner, our test is about 10 WEEKS AWAY.

We can do this! We just have to believe it, study harder, FOCUS and block out distractions for the next 10 weeks...it WILL BE worth it when we are all posting our 30+ scores!

Love your positive energy!! I feel the exact same way!! FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS until this exam is over! I can't wait to post my 30+++ score!

Love your positive energy!! I feel the exact same way!! FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS until this exam is over! I can't wait to post my 30+++ score!
Yay to being positive during studying for a test like this, it can only help right?! Can't you just envision score release day in slow motion....going to your computer...you type in https://services.aamc.org/mcatthx/ (as your heart is pounding out of your chest!)....click login and BOOOOOM! Your goal score and then some. Let's goooooo!

So far:

I'll be taking TPR1 FL Sunday morning. I don't mind if I go up 1 freaking point, as long as gradual improvements are being made.

About how long did it take for you to see a decent increase in your scores?[/quote

So far:

About how long did it take for you to see a decent increase in your scores?

I didn't see an appreciable increase until taking 3 practice exams (spread over 2.5 weeks). I strongly believe it's better not to take another test until going over the previous practice exam in-depth. You will start to see a pattern in your mistakes and also a pattern in question types.

Anyone taking Practice tests here or TPHR SW, please PM me. I'm taking ptests of TBR, GS and happy to hear from others!

Anyone taking Practice tests here or TPHR SW, please PM me. I'm taking ptests of TBR, GS and happy to hear from others!

I still have about a month of content review. :/ idk if this is a bad thing, but it's what the SN2ed recommends. Good luck with your practice exams!

I'm also taking it this date!
Is anyone else taking Kaplan, or have taken Kaplan FLs?

I took the free AAMC Test #3(CBT) and Kaplan FL#2 (PDF). My Kaplan score(19) was much lowert han my AAMC score (27). I took the Kaplan Fl on my computer instead of printing it out which may have contributed to my lower score. The time spent scrolling the PDF with adobe really added up.

I took the free AAMC Test #3(CBT) and Kaplan FL#2 (PDF). My Kaplan score(19) was much lowert han my AAMC score (27). I took the Kaplan Fl on my computer instead of printing it out which may have contributed to my lower score. The time spent scrolling the PDF with adobe really added up.

what was your score breakdown? and did you score your test based on kaplan's scale?
I haven't taken any AAMCs yet so I can't really say much but i would just focus on scores from the later AAMC tests since they are more reliable indicators :)

what was your score breakdown? and did you score your test based on kaplan's scale?
I haven't taken any AAMCs yet so I can't really say much but i would just focus on scores from the later AAMC tests since they are more reliable indicators :)

AAMC-Ps:8 VR:10 BS:9
KaplanFL #2 - Ps:6 VR:6 BS:7

Yea I graded it according to the Kaplan scale. But the Kaplan FL I used was a PDF of a paper based test that I took from my computer. I still think the time spent scrolling when I could've quickly flipped from questions to passage on a paper test added up. Every section I took was finsished with 13-20 questions left unanswered due to time.

After the test, I finished the questions I didn't have time to finish and added that to my score. It came out to a 26 (Ps:8 Vr:10 Bs:8).

Moral of the story..if you have a paper based FL and plan to take it as practice, PRINT IT OUT AND TAKE IT. I was telling myself that since the actual MCAT is computer based that I should take the paper test from my computer as a PDF ....wrong idea, for me atleast.

AAMC-Ps:8 VR:10 BS:9
KaplanFL #2 - Ps:6 VR:6 BS:7

Yea I graded it according to the Kaplan scale. But the Kaplan FL I used was a PDF of a paper based test trhat I took from my computer. I still think the time spent scrolling when I could've quickly flipped from questions to passage on a paper test added up. Every section I took was finsished with 13-20 questions left unanswered due to time.

After the test, I finished the questions I didn't have time to finish and added that to my score and it came out to a 26 (Ps:8 Vr:10 Bs:8).

Moral of the story..if you have a paper based FL and plan to take it as practice, PRINT IT OUT AND TAKE IT. I was telling myself that since the actual MCAT is computer based that I should take the paper test from my compuiter as a PDF ....wrong idea, for me atleast.
What is your verbal strategy?

What is your verbal strategy?

I don't really have one. I just read the passage at a pace steady enough for me to digest all the information presented. (Main Idea, authors opinion, etc).

Kinda just ask myself what are they talking about and how do they feel about it.

The endocrine system is just..ugh..been on this chapter for 2 days now..any tips on how u guys mastered the endocrine system? Sooo many little details to try to remember

The endocrine system is just..ugh..been on this chapter for 2 days now..any tips on how u guys mastered the endocrine system? Sooo many little details to try to remember

Learning strictly from the book gets very draining after awhile. Take breaks and watch some Khan Academy Endocrinology videos. I feel that they tell you basic concepts in a simplified way

Made it through 4 chapters of TBR bio, but finally caved and went EK for ch 5 with TBR passages. Passages are harder without the more detailed content, but content review feels incredibly more efficient.

Written, organized notes. For example,

Peptide Hormones (rough ER//water soluble):

FSH
LH
TSH
hGH
ACTH (I have trouble remembering this so since stress causes it and secondary messenger cAMP is used to release it, I say, "Stress from cAMPing makes you ACTH(ormonal)." Dorky, but it helps me remember.
Prolactin

These are all the peptide hormones that come from the anterior pituitary. I write a short, branched off note describing each one, in order to jog my memory.

And I try to distinguish between things in my mind. For example, in EK Bio, hormones are described as being either water soluble or lipid soluble. Water soluble means they dissolve in the blood stream but need help getting though the cell membrane and into the cell. Lipid soluble means they need help dissolving into the blood stream but can get through the cell membrane and affect the nucleus at the transcription level, which is where **** can go down A Beautiful Mind style.

I don't really have one. I just read the passage at a pace steady enough for me to digest all the information presented. (Main Idea, authors opinion, etc).

Kinda just ask myself what are they talking about and how do they feel about it.

Also, I just wanted to let you know that Kaplan FL2 verbal was ridiculous. It was too many detailed questions which might have lowered your verbal score also. I remember reading a couple of other threads that agreed...

Also, I just wanted to let you know that Kaplan FL2 verbal was ridiculous. It was too many detailed questions which might have lowered your verbal score also. I remember reading a couple of other threads that agreed...

Thanks for the info. That makes me feel a little better.lol.

I plan to take FL 3 this Saturday, so hopefully Ill see an improvement. I have enough practice tests to take one every week until test week, but if my score doesn't improve on this next one ,its back to strictly content review and passages. :dead::dead:

So where is everyone at in their content review? I remember some were aiming to be done by the end of this month. I took a detour myself but I have 3 chapters left in bio and 2 in chemistry that I will knock out this weekend. I have a little more than a half to go for both physics and orgo, decided to give these 2 special attention. I also signed up for a free Kaplan practice test saturday just to serve kinda like a mid point diagnostic.

Thanks for the info. That makes me feel a little better.lol.

I plan to take FL 3 this Saturday, so hopefully Ill see an improvement. I have enough practice tests to take one every week until test week, but if my score doesn't improve on this next one ,its back to strictly content review and passages. :dead::dead:

I took FL 3 today. Got a 29 ( 12/9/8 ). I took it in a library, and when I got to verbal, the library got pretty busy, and people were just so loud I couldn't concentrate. I'm happy though. I got a 19 on this test last year, so I'm pretty happy.

I now know I just have to get busy with biology. I don't think it's possible for me to get higher than a 10 on verbal.

(I am an underdog by the way, so don't judge me too harshly. Haven't taken biology since 2004, and am not a science major)

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

I took FL 3 today. Got a 29 ( 12/9/8 ). I took it in a library, and when I got to verbal, the library got pretty busy, and people were just so loud I couldn't concentrate. I'm happy though. I got a 19 on this test last year, so I'm pretty happy.

I now know I just have to get busy with biology. I don't think it's possible for me to get higher than a 10 on verbal.

(I am an underdog by the way, so don't judge me too harshly. Haven't taken biology since 2004, and am not a science major)

No judgment what-so-ever bro. If anything, im trying to get more like you. I would kill to get a 12 in PS!

So where is everyone at in their content review? I remember some were aiming to be done by the end of this month. I took a detour myself but I have 3 chapters left in bio and 2 in chemistry that I will knock out this weekend. I have a little more than a half to go for both physics and orgo, decided to give these 2 special attention. I also signed up for a free Kaplan practice test saturday just to serve kinda like a mid point diagnostic.

I haven't officially signed up for this date yet but I plan to whenever my FAP gets reviewed. So forgive me for lurking.lol

But I have half a chapter left in Physics and 6 chapters left in Chemistry. I was hoping ,since I took Anatomy and Biochem last semester, that I would be up to speed with Bio and Org but that may not be the case. We'll see though...

Thats pretty impressive! Up 10 pts from your real score!! And an 8 in bio is great given the fact you haven't finished your prep. Mastering bio review definitely leads to extra points. I've heard that just strictly knowing content is at least a 9-10 on the real thing. With that 9 in verbal, I wouldn't stress it too much. Keep practicing and if you break a 10 on the real thing then thats just icing on the cake. That 12 in physical is lovely. How are u studying?

I haven't officially signed up for this date yet but I plan to whenever my FAP gets reviewed. So forgive me for lurking.lol

But I have half a chapter left in Physics and 6 chapters left in Chemistry. I was hoping ,since I took Anatomy and Biochem last semester, that I would be up to speed with Bio and Org but that may not be the case. We'll see though...
I would still advise you to at least skim through the bio and orgo reviews. Biochem and anatomy are just minor parts of the bio thats on the MCAT. But if it is fresh you should be able to read a couple chapters a day at most.

Thats pretty impressive! Up 10 pts from your real score!! And an 8 in bio is great given the fact you haven't finished your prep. Mastering bio review definitely leads to extra points. I've heard that just strictly knowing content is at least a 9-10 on the real thing. With that 9 in verbal, I wouldn't stress it too much. Keep practicing and if you break a 10 on the real thing then thats just icing on the cake. That 12 in physical is lovely. How are u studying?

I used Berkley for Gen Chem since last time. I didn't study physics at all since I know it from undergrad major (mechanical engineer)

For bio, I used EK and Princeton. It's mostly memorizing I think now. So there is so much to memorize with biology. Organic is pretty hard too, but I think they tend to only test big concepts from what I've seen so far.

I encourage you all to not procrastinate with these aamc FL. You may think, oh I don't want to waste it, bc I haven't gone through all the material, but they really allow you to see where you stand, where you need to improve, and just give you that kick in your butt to stay motivated.

Did horrible on my practice Kaplan FL this morning. I have a loooonnnnng way to go. The only good news/not really good news is I made an 8 on verbal. Bombed physical and biological. Exact same score I made on the real exam. No worries though. I still have an entire 2 months to focus my studying and get down to the root of attacking this monster.

Did horrible on my practice Kaplan FL this morning. I have a loooonnnnng way to go. The only good news/not really good news is I made an 8 on verbal. Bombed physical and biological. Exact same score I made on the real exam. No worries though. I still have an entire 2 months to focus my studying and get down to the root of attacking this monster.
What FL did you take? Don't be bummed.. especially if its FL 10 or 11. Those are horrendous.

As for 4/24, I'm considering switching my date. I am not anywhere close to where I want to be in terms of content review. I might take Kaplan FL 1 to decide whether I'll stick to 4/24 or not.

Did anyone take the AAMC self assessments? I think those are pretty good indicators of what you do/dont know in terms of content.

What FL did you take? Don't be bummed.. especially if its FL 10 or 11. Those are horrendous.

As for 4/24, I'm considering switching my date. I am not anywhere close to where I want to be in terms of content review. I might take Kaplan FL 1 to decide whether I'll stick to 4/24 or not.

Did anyone take the AAMC self assessments? I think those are pretty good indicators of what you do/dont know in terms of content.
Idk which 1 it was. It was just a free test they were offering on the site. I think it may have been a harder one compared to others but idk for sure. I was able to see where I stood with verbal, but the other 2 sections surprised me. Especially biological..it's just crunch time for me..good thing I went with the May 8th date

Took Kaplan Fl 3 last Sunday and completely boooommmbed it. Barely made it into the low twenties this time. I have to make another study schedule because I need alot more content review. I have officially been humbled,no more excuses.