The Official April 24, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessDreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else on here taking it on the 24th? I'm going to start studying later this week. What is everyone else's study plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So bummed hate verbal! Am I out of the question for DO with that 5? P10 V5 B9... Gpa 3.8

I'd say look into specific schools and see what their 10% percentile acceptance rate is to decide. That being said, event though that's a really good GPA, I think it's gonna be difficulty, if not impossible, with that 5. I've commonly heard that a 7 or below on any section normally disqualifies you from most medical schools. With a 5 (which is actually what I got on my BS section this time), I personally wouldn't spend my money on applying with such a low chance of getting in anywhere.

For everyone currently in this situation: Man...after getting my score back, not really sure if I should apply...
My answer: HOLY CRAP APPLY MAN

Seriously, the MCAT score is only one of the many things schools judge you on. Lets face it people, the entire system is messed up. The fact that we have to wait a month to get our test score back is complete B.S. The fact that certain individuals have connections to the schools admissions board to make it more likely they get it is B.S. This system is nowhere near perfect or accurate in my opinion. SO APPLY. So what if you have a MCAT of 24 or a verbal score of 8, just apply. Anything goes in this application process; i've seen people who deserve to get into a good school more than anyone but they don't, and then I see people who don't deserve it end up getting in. Seriously, the only thing you have to lose of applying is money - that's it. And seeing as you're gonna end up throwing down six-figures to go to med school, who the hell cares that you wasted a few thousand dollars and didn't make the cycle.

If you see these people posting their awesome high 30's and 40 scores, DO NOT LET THAT DISCOURAGE YOU FROM APPLYING. First off, you don't even know if that's the score they actually got, and second, just because they got a high score doesn't mean they're gonna be accepted.

Do your own thing people, this application process has its many kinks. Don't let anyone tell you you have no chance of getting in because they're just wrong. Send in your applications, and I hope to consult with you on a patient in the near future.

In my 5 months of lurking on this website, this is by far the smartest thing I have heard. I got a 28 10BS /7 VR /11PS And have just decided that I probably won't retake. Although Im disappointed in the 7, there is much more to this whole process than how well I can comprehend a few paragraphs. I am still confident that I can get in, I have a solid support group that believes in me, and most importantly I believe in myself.

Regardless of the score you get, if you don't believe in yourself, then why the hell will anyone else believe in your abilities

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a 5 on your test, you should seriously consider retaking and should dismiss applying. It should not be difficult to raise your MCAT score above a 5 if you restudy and learn from your mistakes.

You can do it, just take more time and don't rush into applying. It makes no sense to sprint to defeat when you can jog to victory.

Last edited:
In my 5 months of lurking on this website, this is by far the smartest thing I have heard. I got a 28 10BS /7 VR /11PS And have just decided that I probably won't retake. Although Im disappointed in the 7, there is much more to this whole process than how well I can comprehend a few paragraphs. I am still confident that I can get in, I have a solid support group that believes in me, and most importantly I believe in myself.

Regardless of the score you get, if you don't believe in yourself, then why the hell will anyone else believe in your abilities

okay, are you sure you arent me? I got teh same exact score, and have a solid support group too that is telling me that I will be alright and to apply, even though I feel like im going to get rejected.

not an expert at any of this by any means, but what state you live in also heavily plays a role - a 28 in WV is very different than in CA. also, if you were to hyperfocus on just verbal for a month, and it obviously depends on how much you invested this time, but i'd imagine most native english speakers could bring themselves up to an 9 at least. it seems that only people with really low verbal scores make any attempts at strategy, but anyone averaging a 9+ accepts it as "guess that's how good i am at verbal" and keeps on keeping on with what they've been doing. depending on your overall app and what schools you're applying to, perhaps consider on hyperfocusing on verbal for 2 weeks and if your scores improve register for a date july 2 (silver deadline: june 16). if not live with your score, but if you do, go for it while the science is still fresh. would that be too late for this cycle if you submit june 3? i know certain schools only use your highest score, while others will average, but perhaps find a couple of those if you're going to apply anyways?

Last edited:
How did your GS FLs score compare to real/aamc scores? Do you mind telling us your individual GS scores? congrats!!
My GS FLs scores were like 4-5 points lower than my aamc scores. It was a constant struggle to see my score not hitting what i hope for on all 10.
GS 1 13 8 12 33
GS 2 12 10 12 34
GS 3 13 10 12 35
GS 4 12 10 12 34
GS 5 12 9 12 33
GS 6 13 11 11 35
GS 7 9 10 12 31
GS 8 11 9 14 34
GS 9 9 10 14 33
GS 10 12 12 12 36

Thank you very much :)

Can you share your study methods mdphd
I started in January with Berkeley review for about 2 weeks. Total waste of time. The book is TOOOOOO much. Covers so much material that i thought I was gonna get like a 10 if mcat actually covers the material in that book. So i switched gears to EK. I listen to audio osmosis then read the materials and do the in chapter problems and stuffs. At the end of the chapter, I do the end of chapter question set from EK which is included in the book then the Kaplan topicals question for the chapter i had read. I did one chapter a day (Bio, chemistry, physics *i did not study orgo because I was taking an advanced organic III class and I can bs my way through orgo) for a month. At the same time, in the first two months, i did like 4 passages a day from EK 101 verbal then princeton review hyperlearning VR. Then i spent about 2 weeks doing the princeton review hyperlearning subject practices (I did it just because i had 21 practices and i wanted to end my last FL before my exam). I started the FL around the first week of May. Monday, Thursday and Saturday are FL and the rest is to go over my FL and re-read what i have missed. My last FL was on the Monday before the exam so my actual exam is like another practice exam. I was also taking 5 classes and I chose Global lit (hoping to get my english up because I'm international and my AAMC3 english was like a 7), Orgo (to keep orgo fresh in my head), Bioethics (glad i took it cuz there was a passage in MCAT about utilitarianism), Moral theology, speech and research in biology (just cuz i have credit spaces). I would strongly suggest not to take 17 credits though. I got stressed out a lot and had lots and lots and lots of nervous breakdowns like every other week. I hope it helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Retaking, I just have to boost up PS which I bommmbbbed. All you 30+'s ers, what study material did you use? (b/c I found EK a little lacking but reading that it's good?) and any advice?

Test Date: 4/24/14
Average Practice: I don't know exactly but I steadily increased with every test and got a 40 on the last two
Post-Test Expected Score: 40 (I was thinking 14/12/14 because that's how my practice tests had gone)
Actual Score: 39 (12 PS/12 VR/15 BS)
Comments: So I was kind of hesisitant to post this because I really didn't want to make anybody feel bad but let me tell you: I really needed this, my GPA is in the GUTTER. It's actually hilarious because I did my undergrad at an institution on the quarter system with no credit hours and my post-bac at an institution on the semester system WITH credit hours. I have absolutely no idea how to even begin to calculate my cumulative GPA. Anyway, I spent 180 hours studing for this across 4 months (while taking classes). I did Kaplan only and I read all of the material books and made flashcards as I went along of anything I wasn't solid on. I think the key way that I shuffled all my flashcards up, so I didn't just see all the material in the same order every time. Since it was winter I work a coat that had a bazillion pockets and had a pocket with fresh flashcards, a pocket where I put ones I knew, and a pocket where I put ones I didn't know. I was like a homeless person carrying around all my worldly flashcards. Even though people say that the practice problems are so much more important than the content (which is true) I think it is so much easier to feel confident about the unknown when you really know your material.
pls
I started in January with Berkeley review for about 2 weeks. Total waste of time. The book is TOOOOOO much. Covers so much material that i thought I was gonna get like a 10 if mcat actually covers the material in that book. So i switched gears to EK. I listen to audio osmosis then read the materials and do the in chapter problems and stuffs. At the end of the chapter, I do the end of chapter question set from EK which is included in the book then the Kaplan topicals question for the chapter i had read. I did one chapter a day (Bio, chemistry, physics *i did not study orgo because I was taking an advanced organic III class and I can bs my way through orgo) for a month. At the same time, in the first two months, i did like 4 passages a day from EK 101 verbal then princeton review hyperlearning VR. Then i spent about 2 weeks doing the princeton review hyperlearning subject practices (I did it just because i had 21 practices and i wanted to end my last FL before my exam). I started the FL around the first week of May. Monday, Thursday and Saturday are FL and the rest is to go over my FL and re-read what i have missed. My last FL was on the Monday before the exam so my actual exam is like another practice exam. I was also taking 5 classes and I chose Global lit (hoping to get my english up because I'm international and my AAMC3 english was like a 7), Orgo (to keep orgo fresh in my head), Bioethics (glad i took it cuz there was a passage in MCAT about utilitarianism), Moral theology, speech and research in biology (just cuz i have credit spaces). I would strongly suggest not to take 17 credits though. I got stressed out a lot and had lots and lots and lots of nervous breakdowns like every other week. I hope it helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you..That was great!!!!

My GS FLs scores were like 4-5 points lower than my aamc scores. It was a constant struggle to see my score not hitting what i hope for on all 10.
GS 1 13 8 12 33
GS 2 12 10 12 34
GS 3 13 10 12 35
GS 4 12 10 12 34
GS 5 12 9 12 33
GS 6 13 11 11 35
GS 7 9 10 12 31
GS 8 11 9 14 34
GS 9 9 10 14 33
GS 10 12 12 12 36

Thank you very much :)

I didn't have enough time to finish all the GS tests but after doing 5 of them I saw a huge increase in my AAMC scores (28-->32). I'm certain that if I had finished all of the GS exams that I would have scored higher on the real thing. GS were great for roughing you up and getting the "omg" moments out of the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
you just gave me so much hope! I took the May 8th test and despite my 10+ average, I've sworn to my family that if I get anything above a 7 on PS, I will train for a half-marathon lol Congrats on your score and thanks for this post :)

Dude. I'LL run a FULL marathon if you get anything below an 8. Aren't you reading what these testers are saying? They thought BS slaughtered them, and frequently scored better on it than their aamc avg

I didn't have enough time to finish all the GS tests but after doing 5 of them I saw a huge increase in my AAMC scores (28-->32). I'm certain that if I had finished all of the GS exams that I would have scored higher on the real thing. GS were great for roughing you up and getting the "omg" moments out of the way.
You are right. I was sitting in the 33-34 in AAMC then after 10 GS it went up to 36-38.

Great score! Congrats. You also used Kaplan for verbal? I am interested to know how you got your 12 since that's a hard subject to make flashcards for.

THanks!!

I did not use any supplemental VR materials besides Kaplan. I actually did make flashcards for the broad concepts (e.g. What are the four types of questions?) That said, the Kaplan method did not work for me. They are all like "write everything down, dont try to remember anything" but I found that I never referred to the stuff I wrote down and just always referred back to the passage. The method that I ultimate used was 1) skim the passage, highlight any transition words/points that jump out immediately 2) work the questions, relying heavily on triage. This usually meant detail and specific deduction questions first. After using the passage to answer some questions I was usually familiar enough with it so answer some of the broader questions, otherwise I'd reread the passage more carefully, knowing what I was looking for.

Beyond that, it was just taking practice tests and really taking a hard look at the stuff I got wrong and understanding why I got it wrong. I would love love love to know which questions I got wrong on the actual test, but obviously that's not gonna happen :)

I did not use any supplemental VR materials besides Kaplan. I actually did make flashcards for the broad concepts (e.g. What are the four types of questions?) That said, the Kaplan method did not work for me. They are all like "write everything down, dont try to remember anything" but I found that I never referred to the stuff I wrote down and just always referred back to the passage. The method that I ultimate used was 1) skim the passage, highlight any transition words/points that jump out immediately 2) work the questions, relying heavily on triage. This usually meant detail and specific deduction questions first. After using the passage to answer some questions I was usually familiar enough with it so answer some of the broader questions, otherwise I'd reread the passage more carefully, knowing what I was looking for.

Beyond that, it was just taking practice tests and really taking a hard look at the stuff I got wrong and understanding why I got it wrong. I would love love love to know which questions I got wrong on the actual test, but obviously that's not gonna happen :)

Thanks great advice! Also for Kaplan topical/subject tests what % were you averaging? They're so demoralizing sometimes I just want to give up =/

how thoroughly did you review GS exams after you took them for PS/BS? And do you recommend GS 9 and GS 10?
Really thoroughly i should say. I made notes from the review. On Wednesday before the exam, all I did was look over the Kaplan formula booklet and the GS review notes I had made. So technically, I went over the exams like 6 times if you count the number of times I look over the notes. I mean if you have time just do all the GS. GS 9 and 10 are just like any other GS FL.

Hi guys,

I just got my scores back yesterday and am really questioning whether or not I should retake. I got a 34 overall, but my breakdown was 8/12/14 (PS/VR/BS). I am really surprised by how badly I did on PS, because I had never gotten below 10 before, but I was also really nervous going into the test. Does anyone have advice for me?

Hi guys,

I just got my scores back yesterday and am really questioning whether or not I should retake. I got a 34 overall, but my breakdown was 8/12/14 (PS/VR/BS). I am really surprised by how badly I did on PS, because I had never gotten below 10 before, but I was also really nervous going into the test. Does anyone have advice for me?
Trade your score for mine. 31 11/9/11

Thanks great advice! Also for Kaplan topical/subject tests what % were you averaging? They're so demoralizing sometimes I just want to give up =/

Kaplan stuff in general is way harder. I got a 26 on Kaplan like 10 I think. Could've been test fatigue but still I got almost 10 points higher on the real thing. Best bet are the AAMC tests and SAPs.

For those who got a 6: I applied this cycle with a score of 30 (6 VR, 13 PS, 11 BS) and only got waitlisted at Wayne State Medical School and got an interview at MSU (got rejected....). With that said, there's still a chance for MD if you get a 6... I guess.

As for the 4/24/14 MCAT, I got a 35 (10 VR, 13 PS, 12 BS)! Hopefully this will get me in somewhere lol

Congrats on all of your scores! Can those of you who reached your target share what study materials and methods you use? Either here or in the 30+ thread? I'm sure many future MCATers would appreciate it!

Hi guys,

I wouldn't retake.

A score of 8 should keep you above hard cutoffs at most schools, and you KILLED the other two sections (probably the 'more important' sections). Unless you're trying to make up for a dismal GPA, or have a burning desire to go to Harvard, I'd call it good.

Also, taking the MCAT sucks. My advice is always to do it as little as possible.

Hi guys,

First of congratulations on your 12 and 14 those are great scores! I hate to be a negative nancy here but and 8 to me looks like poor content review... but like you mentioned the nerves could have had an impact as well. If you have the contest and financial capability why not re-take while the MCAT hasnt changed? I also disagree that there are "important and unimportant" sections on the MCAT. It's all about a balance. But again it's ultimately your choice!

Congrats on all of your scores! Can those of you who reached your target share what study materials and methods you use? Either here or in the 30+ thread? I'm sure many future MCATers would appreciate it!

My target was "30-33." Got a 32.

I modified SN2ed's schedule, I didn't really use EK bio except for areas that weren't covered by Berekely. Personally, I think the EK books are only for those that would score 30+ without prepping.
I used Berkeley Review books, supplemented with Princeton Review passages. For practice exams I did TBR CBTs and AAMC (I'm a retaker, so I did them twice). My TBR Avg was 27, and my AAMC Avg was 30.
Hope that helps, and good luck.

Anyone retaking on here? I plan to retake in 2 months at the end of July. Going to submit my application still with my 27 (9/8/10).

Woohoo.... studying all over again... yippeeeee

Anyone retaking on here? I plan to retake in 2 months at the end of July. Going to submit my application still with my 27 (9/8/10).

Hey,

Yeah I believe I'm gonna retake as well. I got a 30 but it is very unbalanced. 11 ps 6 vr 13 bs. English being my 3rd language isn't really adding any comfort to my situation, but I will try to get that stupid verbal score up at least 3 pts.

Test Date: 04/24/14
AAMC Average: 27.75 (27-29)
Post-Test Expected Score: <27
Actual Score: 28 (8 ps, 9 vr, 11 bs)
Last few days have been a little stressful but I finally have time to post. Im slightly dissapointed but I know that it could have been worse. I never made higher than the 29 I made on AAMC 11, but I still thought I had a shot at a 30. I may retake but I honestly don't see me having time to study:(.

I have a 3.92 cGpa and i think a 3.8-3.9 sGPA ( havent officially calculated it but i've made 2 Bs Oraganic 2 and Statistics)
And im URM

Retake or nah??

Last few days have been a little stressful but I finally have time to post. Im slightly dissapointed but I know that it could have been worse. I never made higher than the 29 I made on AAMC 11, but I still thought I had a shot at a 30. I may retake but I honestly don't see me having time to study:(.

I have a 3.92 cGpa and i think a 3.8-3.9 sGPA ( havent officially calculated it but i've made 2 Bs Oraganic 2 and Statistics)
And im URM

Retake or nah??

If you could def break into the 30s I would retake but looks like you hit right bj the middle of your average....so it was probably expected.

MCAT: 30 (9/10/11)
GPA: 3.8
Strong personal statement (I'm a cancer survivor so that's kind of the basis for passion to pursue medicine)

My goal is to get into UIC medical school, or another chicago school (Loyola, Rush, Rosalind Franklin)

Do you think I should retake the mcat?
no, you risk taking it again and getting lower or the same score

Props to you. You've got the strength, now go destroy the MCAT!

3.8 GPA and a 30 MCAT, it seems to me that you've reached the magic numbers in terms of academics. Instead of re studying and retaking, use that time to buff up your EC's should you need too. You sound like prime medical school material, no need to worry!

And im URM

Retake or nah??
Also agree that you shouldn't retake. You scored right at your average and you can't expect to increase several points. With your strong GPA you should have a decent shot with a 28 depending on your EC's and where you apply.

Also agree that you shouldn't retake. You scored right at your average and you can't expect to increase several points. With your strong GPA you should have a decent shot with a 28 depending on your EC's and where you apply.
I disagree because it seems like you are low on PS and I think anyone can improve that the most easily and maybe bump verbal up one point and you have a solid 31

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Im going to apply with my 28 and I may take it again sometime in July. My job ends June 27 so ill have until July 21st to do nothing but study....or just say **** it and catch up on Game Of Thrones.idk

But that doesn't mean someone who's score on the mcat was around their aamc average will just magically bump up to a 31 like ur implying.

I don't think they were implying that it will "magically" go up. But if I study more, my PS should go up the easiest out of VR and BS. Atleast that is XxSynapsexX opinion.

AAMC Average: 31 (10 ps, 10 vr, 11 bs)
Actual Score: 29 (11 ps, 7 vr, 11 bs)
GPA: 3.87 c, 3.95 s

I am pretty disappointed about my score since my verbal was 3 points lower than my average. It looks like I will have to retake if I want to get into my state school (they require at least an 8 in VR). I already did EK 101 verbal and AAMC practice tests. Any recommendations for more verbal practice? TPR hyperlearning?

Also I think my problem during the VR section was with reading comprehension. I was reading, but the information was not sticking. Then I spent too long on questions referring back to the passage. Maybe this was caused by stress. Do any of you have good reading comprehension strategies you could pass on?

I am pretty disappointed about my score since my verbal was 3 points lower than my average. It looks like I will have to retake if I want to get into my state school (they require at least an 8 in VR). I already did EK 101 verbal and AAMC practice tests. Any recommendations for more verbal practice? TPR hyperlearning?

Also I think my problem during the VR section was with reading comprehension. I was reading, but the information was not sticking. Then I spent too long on questions referring back to the passage. Maybe this was caused by stress. Do any of you have good reading comprehension strategies you could pass on?

I have looked over the TPRH verbal and it has a decent amount of passages (43+ 4*7 full length tests) so about 71 passages. If you can get your hands on the compendium, there is another 30 passages in there. I also have the verbal reasoning review book from TPR and that has 2 passages per chapters plus some in-chapter "reading" that you can do, so about 19 total. Have you done the AAMC self-assessment? I think there's some verbal in there.

Yea what keem said... I was just saying since that was his lowest score and that PS can be improved most easily.

... no need to be condescending towards me tryna help a person out lol

Last edited:

I learned that if I just read through the passage without marking anything and then answering the questions based off of gut that I would score much better.

Ask yourself after each paragraph what the author is trying to tell you. The author usually is doing one of three things: setting up the main idea, giving you the main idea, or supporting the main idea.