The Official April 24, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessDreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else on here taking it on the 24th? I'm going to start studying later this week. What is everyone else's study plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Took Kaplan Fl 3 last Sunday and completely boooommmbed it. Barely made it into the low twenties this time. I have to make another study schedule because I need alot more content review. I have officially been humbled,no more excuses.
Dugg up some research, Kaplan's FLs are extremely hard. Looks like they strategically point out content weaknesses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. Just wanted to see where everyone is in their review?
I'm probably going to take a Kaplan FL this week- if I can get a 20+, i'll keep my test date of 4/24. If not i'll probably extend. Im probably halfway done with content-review and will be taking 1-2 FL's a week until test date ( If I keep 4/24).

Im using Kaplan On Site classroom, all their books. Haven't taken an AAMC yet, saving those bad boys for later.

I'm probably going to take a Kaplan FL this week- if I can get a 20+, i'll keep my test date of 4/24. If not i'll probably extend. Im probably halfway done with content-review and will be taking 1-2 FL's a week until test date ( If I keep 4/24).

Im using Kaplan On Site classroom, all their books. Haven't taken an AAMC yet, saving those bad boys for later.
Awesome. Keep truckin!

Dugg up some research, Kaplan's FLs are extremely hard. Looks like they strategically point out content weaknesses.

That makes me feel a little better. Still not gonna lie to myself though,I have a long ways to go.

I'm planning on doing a FL this week, but I'm not sure if I want to do a Kaplan or AAMC. I also have heard that Kaplan help point out content gaps, so I might take an AAMC now to see where I stand. I'm about 2/3rds through the Kaplan material.

Anyone else taking the class feel uneasy about the lack of difficulty with some of the questions?

I'm planning on doing a FL this week, but I'm not sure if I want to do a Kaplan or AAMC. I also have heard that Kaplan help point out content gaps, so I might take an AAMC now to see where I stand. I'm about 2/3rds through the Kaplan material.

Anyone else taking the class feel uneasy about the lack of difficulty with some of the questions?
I was thinking of doing the same, but i'll just use AAMC self-assessments to figure out where Im content deficient. Once I work on all my weak areas i'll take an AAMC. I dont wanna waste any of them, those are precious study materials.

Difficulty of what questions? Kaplan FL's?

What are you using for review? Have you done any practice questions? How have you been doing?

I'm using TPR. Yes, I do passages right after I study content. I've been doing just okay, not where I'd like to be, though.

I started with a 19 on my PR diagnostic test, then got a 24,24,26, on my next 3 FL's. I'm yet to hit a 30, so I'm still chugging along. I'm about to really start incorporating the PR Science workbook into my daily schedule.

Anyone else taking TPR full lengths? They are killer. Especially verbal.

Oh well, let's keep grinding.

Just switched to this date from April 5th. Started in December with a TPR diagnostic of 21 (V: 5 PS: 6 BS:10), and just took TPR diagnostic 3 a month ago and got a 24 (PS:7 VR: 7 BS: 10). Will be taking AAMC 3 either friday or monday- haven't decided yet.

You must mean in the review books? I took a kaplan class last year and I don't recall the questions being too easy. But maybe we're coming from a different viewpoint. But I do know, however, that Kaplan's FL's are about as difficult as TPR's. AAMC's are the closest in resemblance to the actual test as far as chance of difficulty, and grading.
SN I used the highlighting technique for verbal on my Kaplan FL and it was a major help. And for the most part I highlighted a LOT of useful info that revolved around questions, and I didn't have to waste time trying to find anything. I don't know if you guys already know that or not. But I definitely didn't take advantage of it when I took the real thing 2 years ago. So from now own even when I'm practicing out of books I will use a highlighter.

True, I think I will go with the Kaplan FL, and then save AAMCs to see where things are because I haven't finished all of the 3rd chunk of Kaplan content.

I'm primarily referring to the questions you go through during the class. The review books themselves are a little more challenging and the online stuff can be very challenging. It's just that sometimes I feel like the class time isn't well-spent going over easier questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
True, I think I will go with the Kaplan FL, and then save AAMCs to see where things are because I haven't finished all of the 3rd chunk of Kaplan content.

I'm primarily referring to the questions you go through during the class. The review books themselves are a little more challenging and the online stuff can be very challenging. It's just that sometimes I feel like the class time isn't well-spent going over easier questions.
Yeah I definitely agree, and I'm in the same boat as you regarding content! Im enrolled in a kaplan on site class, we started the 3rd section yesterday.

TPR Classes got a 20 on my first TPR Practice 1(PS 7, OChem 8, and Verbal 5) slightly nervous now, but hey, it's supposed to get better and TPR tests are pretty hard from starting.

Anyway, let's see.

Showing Slight Improvements, Took TPR 4 then 2, got a 21 and 23, hopefully this trend keeps on increasing. TPR tests are super hard compared to real AAMC, at least that's what I think, the language is made just more difficult.

Anyway, hope to take the GRE after this, so hopefully, I do well in both. Let's see.

Yeah, I am going to emulate test-day scenario and take it at the library at 8am sharp. I'm nervous!

Took AAMC 4 yesterday. The Verbal on there kicked my butt. 10/7/9, so a 26. That's down 3 points from AAMC 3. :'(

Yeah, I am going to emulate test-day scenario and take it at the library at 8am sharp. I'm nervous!

I've been taking mine at the library as soon as they open, but I think I have to stop. Kids screaming, librarians talking loudly like they own the place. I got kicked out of a study room yesterday while I was testing because I was in there for so long and these girls must have waiting for a while. I'm going to start taking them at home or get ear plugs.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Took AAMC 4 yesterday. The Verbal on there kicked my butt. 10/7/9, so a 26. That's down 3 points from AAMC 3. :'(

I've been taking mine at the library as soon as they open, but I think I have to stop. Kids screaming, librarians talking loudly like they own the place. I got kicked out of a study room yesterday while I was testing because I was in there for so long and these girls must have waiting for a while. I'm going to start taking them at home or get ear plugs.

I retook MCAT Last year got a 31, this happened with me, got 26-29 in my AAMC practice went to 31 on my real. Don't worry you are on the right track, try AAMC 10/11, see how those work out for you.

I feel you man, I just finished Kaplan yesterday (tying up loose ends now). But I feel nowhere near as prepared as my TBR friends. I really liked Kaplan's format and the online material, but all of it felt a little too easy. So now that I have like a month left, I am switching to TBR for all my weak spots and AAMC/Kaplan FLs.

Any TBR people know how I should tackle TBR? Do all the practice problems in sections I feel weak on, or go through every book and do 1/3rd of the problems at random?

I feel you man, I just finished Kaplan yesterday (tying up loose ends now). But I feel nowhere near as prepared as my TBR friends. I really liked Kaplan's format and the online material, but all of it felt a little too easy. So now that I have like a month left, I am switching to TBR for all my weak spots and AAMC/Kaplan FLs.

Any TBR people know how I should tackle TBR? Do all the practice problems in sections I feel weak on, or go through every book and do 1/3rd of the problems at random?

I say do as much as you can. It gets to a point where it just becomes overkill and you will have memorized the formulas by then. You will feel like roadkill, but that's good.

Yeah that test trial run didn't go so well for a couple reasons: 1) the library I wanted to go only opens at 9 am (lame), 2) I unfortunately thought that the PS section was only 30 questions and was lauding myself for being so quick, and then with 15 minutes left, had to do about 22 questions. Oddly enough, that was my highest score, so that makes me feel somewhat better that with more time I know I can do better than a 10. The other sections were about where I was with my diagnostic 9 for VR and 8 for BS. I really need to work on BS apparently. I haven't fully reviewed all the questions, but I get hesitant/easily confused and change my answer sometimes, so maybe I should try to stick to my guns and see what happens.

We've got a long way to go to my target score of 35+, here goes!

Yeah that test trial run didn't go so well for a couple reasons: 1) the library I wanted to go only opens at 9 am (lame), 2) I unfortunately thought that the PS section was only 30 questions and was lauding myself for being so quick, and then with 15 minutes left, had to do about 22 questions. Oddly enough, that was my highest score, so that makes me feel somewhat better that with more time I know I can do better than a 10. The other sections were about where I was with my diagnostic 9 for VR and 8 for BS. I really need to work on BS apparently. I haven't fully reviewed all the questions, but I get hesitant/easily confused and change my answer sometimes, so maybe I should try to stick to my guns and see what happens.

We've got a long way to go to my target score of 35+, here goes!

Congrats on the PS score. Which FL did you take?

I just did FL #1. Again, I'm happy to know that under pressure I can get a decent score, but I know I've got loads more to do with BS, I know I can do better.

I am only about 66% of the way through content as well, so I think this is also reassuring.

Last edited:
Officially done with Bio and Gen Chem content review :claps:I shall do some calculation problems from youtube then enjoy the rest of my day. Picking up with Ch 6 in physics tomorrow. Will be done with it and orgo by the end of next week. Then its straight practice problems, review and FL's from then on!!:zip:Anybody still as pumped as me? We are going to DESTROY this test!!!

Reactions: 1 users
So I just hit the jackpot in terms of resources. An old coworker of mine had an EK set that he gave me and also there was someone selling an extra set of PR course materials that they sent her duplicates of, so I got an entire set of the review books and the hyperlearning books from PR for $75! Tons of questions, now just a little under 7 weeks until go time!

Has anyone using TPR materials taken any of the mcat review online series tests or heard about their accuracy? I've read a few threads about them, but I can't gauge how similar they may be to the real thing. That ish left my a$$hole gaping and sore ._.

Has anyone using TPR materials taken any of the mcat review online series tests or heard about their accuracy? I've read a few threads about them, but I can't gauge how similar they may be to the real thing. That ish left my a$$hole gaping and sore ._.

I'm using TPR materials... I haven't taken the review online series either but from sdn I can tell that they are insane. I took TPR 2 yesterday and it kicked my a**, so I can only imagine how nuts the review series are, as they as supposed to be much tougher than the PR tests. Have you taken the PR Tests/Cracking series?

I'm using TPR materials... I haven't taken the review online series either but from sdn I can tell that they are insane. I took TPR 2 yesterday and it kicked my a**, so I can only imagine how nuts the review series are, as they as supposed to be much tougher than the PR tests. Have you taken the PR Tests/Cracking series?

Okay that is comforting to hear. I've taken TPR 1-3 and Cracking 1 which are definitely all very hard; they've kept me scoring within a 3 point range under 30 which sucks. I'm not good at gauging verbal since it's usually a crapshoot for me, but I can say the BS is very fair and the PS is medium to quite ridiculous at times.

My spring break just started. While all my friends are in Panama City, I of course have to put in work.

I plan on getting a chunk of passages from TPR Science workbook done during this break. (2 VR, and 16 science passages, 4 each subject) each day.

I'll also be taking 2 full lengths this week

I'm yet to break a 30, so I do realize that I have quite a long way to go. Might be due to the fact that I'm about 70% done with content review though.

Anyway, let's keep chugging ladies and gentlemen, I feel like these 45 days are going to fly by so quickly.

Updates:

Took Kaplan FL 1 today.. got a 23 (9/5/9). Idk WTF happened to me in verbal, I usually get 8-11's, but whatever. I think its because I was overthinking and was under pressure or something. Unfortunately, I have moved my date from April to the nearest (convenient) date of July 2nd.
I used this FL as my new "diagnostic" and will begin MCAT studying tomorrow as if I just started. Im gonna stick around here though since i like this group we got goin on here!

My spring break just started. While all my friends are in Panama City, I of course have to put in work.

I plan on getting a chunk of passages from TPR Science workbook done during this break. (2 VR, and 16 science passages, 4 each subject) each day.

I'll also be taking 2 full lengths this week

I'm yet to break a 30, so I do realize that I have quite a long way to go. Might be due to the fact that I'm about 70% done with content review though.

Anyway, let's keep chugging ladies and gentlemen, I feel like these 45 days are going to fly by so quickly.
That's exactly what I'm doing. How long is it taking you?

Updates:

Took Kaplan FL 1 today.. got a 23 (9/5/9). Idk WTF happened to me in verbal, I usually get 8-11's, but whatever. I think its because I was overthinking and was under pressure or something. Unfortunately, I have moved my date from April to the nearest (convenient) date of July 2nd.
I used this FL as my new "diagnostic" and will begin MCAT studying tomorrow as if I just started. Im gonna stick around here though since i like this group we got goin on here!

Hey HiloH. Don't get discouraged, I hear medicine is only for those who want it down to their very core. So the fact that you moved it and didn't decide to wing it is respectable : ) Being that you now bought yourself 4 months of time, consider doing what I would do if I were to start over - SN2ed's schedule. My buddy just took the MCAT after studying for about 4 months with that schedule and got a 36, and he isn't some extraordinary genius (just worked his ___ off).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-down-the-mcat-a-3-month-mcat-study-schedule.623898/

If you do decide to commit to that schedule, let me know in a private message.

Hey HiloH. Don't get discouraged, I hear medicine is only for those who want it down to their very core. So the fact that you moved it and didn't decide to wing it is respectable : ) Being that you now bought yourself 4 months of time, consider doing what I would do if I were to start over - SN2ed's schedule. My buddy just took the MCAT after studying for about 4 months with that schedule and got a 36, and he isn't some extraordinary genius (just worked his ___ off).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-down-the-mcat-a-3-month-mcat-study-schedule.623898/

If you do decide to commit to that schedule, let me know in a private message.

Hey!

It is a bit discouraging, I wanted to apply really early, but my mentality was that if i'm going to take the MCAT once, I'd rather get the best score I can. I was really considering following that method, but I dont have all the supplies for it. I might follow that method, but alter it a bit. I'll let you know what I end up doing though.

Good luck to you, hopefully you follow in your friends footsteps

A little upset today. Scored a 26 (9/9/8) on my first AAMC FL, AAMC3. Have been consistently scoring 10's on the TPR bio FLs.

Ugh. Physics review has been a drag for me. I was using nova physics because BR wasn't cutting it but now I might have to switch back because Nova has started skipping steps (I guess the steps I should have mastered) while explaining but its confusing me. Any advice?

Update:

Just took AAMC 5: 10/9/8- 27. This is my highest composite score to date. Disappointed in my BS score, but content with verbal.

Post game analysis in a couple of hours then back to the drawing board (TPRH Science workbook)

43 days!

Reactions: 1 users
You and I are in the same boat score-wise exactly! Although mine was a Kaplan test. Ahh.. 43 days.

Update:

Just took AAMC 5: 10/9/8- 27. This is my highest composite score to date. Disappointed in my BS score, but content with verbal.

Post game analysis in a couple of hours then back to the drawing board (TPRH Science workbook)

43 days!

Feeling a bit discouraged! First AAMC practice exam scored 20 composite I did as much content review as I could handle with my current class load and decided to take AAMC #5 today again i scored a 20. WTF?

I hope everyone else is doing well! Has anyone else been hit with the giant wave of anxiety? No? Cool, me neither....

Feeling a bit discouraged! First AAMC practice exam scored 20 composite I did as much content review as I could handle with my current class load and decided to take AAMC #5 today again i scored a 20. WTF?

care to share the breakdown of both tests? as someone who scored a 19 on it last year, I may have some pointers for you

Took TPR 3, score increased but it's going up slowly and my Bio's stagnating at a 9, so currently it's 10 PS, 6 VR and 9 Bio. Any tips on how to raise Bio? I jump like 2 points each test, but 2 points isn't that big of a difference.

care to share the breakdown of both tests? as someone who scored a 19 on it last year, I may have some pointers for you

Share away my friend. Those pointers always help regardless. How are your practice exams now and what are you doing differently? :)

Second practice test is in! Result is significant increase in BS because that's all I've been studying lately haha.

Kaplan Test #2: 10 PS/ 9 VR/ 13 BS. And I totally got every question wrong in one of those VR passages, I knew I wasn't feeling it.