The Official April 5th, 2014 MCAT Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
139 days!

You know, for a couple of weeks I thought I would just not subscribe to any particular SDN MCAT thread. Figured it wasn't necessary. But, frankly, knowing that there are other people out there--pissed about not remembering values for logs, and trying to sort out where epinephrine is secreted from ("Was that the adrenal cortex... or adrenal medulla?")--makes this slog towards test date bearable :)

Best of luck, fellow lost souls!

(P.S...... it's from the medulla ;) )

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if they basically got boned... Do you know if they had to reschedule? That seriously sucks.

Once the systems were live again, they were all able to finish out. And, they got done well before I did, which indicates to me that they didn't have to start over.

That being said, and for the sake of perpetuating frantic pre-med hearsay, one of my fellow testers mentioned that something similar happened to a friend of his. They fixed the problem, he finished the test, then a couple of weeks later he received an email that said something to the effect of, "Due to unforeseen technical difficulties at your testing center, your score has been voided...." and he had to reschedule (I'm assuming with the assistance of accommodations from the AAMC)..

Alright, time to finally post. I've been lurking on this thread ever since I decided to write on this date. So here goes:

PS- calc heavy. That being said, I actually had a physics equation sheet that I made 3 weeks prior to the test that included roughly 50 equations. Some equations were just switched around to make calculation easier or so I wouldn't have to derive them on test day. I would rewrite this equation sheet from memory everyday for 2 weeks. THIS HELPED TREMENDOUSLY on test day. There were countless calculations that required 2 or 3 equations step by step to get to the right answer. I'm pretty sure if I didn't have that sheet in front of me, I would've wasted much more time. Also, TBR TBR TBR everything for physics. Especially kinematics. Their shortcuts help tons in terms of saving time. Also, I usually finished PS sections with 8 minutes to spare, and though this time I had finished by then, I completely blew a passage since I kept recalculating something wrong. BUT, since I had that remaining time, I definitely went back to that passage, saw the huge mistake I had made, and ended up changing all the answers to that passage and am pretty sure I go them right. LESSON: MANAGE YOUR TIME WISELY DURING THE PS SECTION. I actually would write 70, 63, 56, 49, 42, 35, 27 , 14, 7 on the corner of my page and wrote 1-10 next to it. Basically, I would make sure that I was following that timeline. Granted, the independent questions didn't always take me 7 minutes, and some passages took longer than 8. But, I promise if you follow this guideline, you'll become really good with your time.

VR- This test was actually a retake for me. Last test, I got a 10 and really needed to focus on sciences. I took AAMC 10 for the first time yesterday and scored an 11. I thought this verbal was slightly harder than AAMC 10. But you just never know.

BS- Ya, tough. But honestly I think TBR Biology does a great job of showing you weird topics that could show up. It was hard, but nothing too unexpected. I was just annoyed with the amount of ochem, but probably because I chose to not focus so much of my time on studying it.

Overall, I think I might have seriously murdered that PS section. I came home and checked my answers that I was unsure of and I got them right. Also, if I left that section without going back and changing those answers to that passage, I'm sure I would've lost precious points. Here's to waiting a month!!

Reactions: 2 users
Ohe thing "area Under the curve" from calc kept coming to my head but sooo drew a blank...looked it up now kicking myself for not seeing it ugh

Members don't see this ad :)
So to prepare for the bio we should just dive in and do all the TBR bio passages to prepare for the WTF factor?

So to prepare for the bio we should just dive in and do all the TBR bio passages to prepare for the WTF factor?

I used TBR nearly exclusively for everything. So many people advise against using it for Bio, saying it's too much. I disagree. I think the convolution and complexity is spot on.

Reactions: 1 users
anybody here traditional or non trad applicant?

Everyone is one or the other...

I used TBR nearly exclusively for everything. So many people advise against using it for Bio, saying it's too much. I disagree. I think the convolution and complexity is spot on.

Balls... I gave up TBR bio some time ago because I felt like it was all over the place.

TBR Biology + TBR CBTs. I think the TBR CBTs are priceless as long as you don't get discouraged by low scores. I was scoring 9-10 on the science sections, but they were pretty tough. Also the TBR CBTs have PS sections that really helped me prepare for today's PS. I actually think today's PS was a lot easier than some of TBR's CBTs. I don't necessarily think what was being tested was really difficult, it's just the way it was presented. So I had to block out all the random distracting info, to get to that basic concept being asked. A deep understanding of physiology, which I attribute to using a physiology and the Campbell Biology textbook, really helps you answer some of the physiology passages without even looking at some of the experiments.

Members don't see this ad :)
And here i thought i made a wise decision to get EK Bio + TPRH SW instead of the BR bio books, looks like it may be worth it to invest in all three. Anyone care to comment?

And here i thought i made a wise decision to get EK Bio + TPRH SW instead of the BR bio books, looks like it may be worth it to invest in all three. Anyone care to comment?

Yeah, I've been doing EK + TPR as well

Everyone is one or the other...

Balls... I gave up TBR bio some time ago because I felt like it was all over the place.

Keep in mind that I didn't use TPR (apart from some of their verbal work), so I may not be giving the truest answer. Content is content -- if you know your mechanisms and endocrine cascades and physics equations, (ad nauseum...right on down the AAMC list), then you're as prepared as you can be.

I feel like being on SDN trying to choose prep sources is like being on Wall Street trying to choose stocks. The "stocks" rapidly rise and fall depending on what recent test takers recommend. Looks like for bio, TBR is the new hot ticket.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh, and if anyone here is a visual learner, I HIGHLY suggest Picmonic for Bio. SO helpful!

(Ok, I'm off to sneak beer into a movie!)

Reactions: 7 users
I feel like being on SDN trying to choose prep sources is like being on Wall Street trying to choose stocks. The "stocks" rapidly rise and fall depending on what recent test takers recommend. Looks like for bio, TBR is the new hot ticket.
As far as i can tell, there was a shift from BR Bio to TPRH after the 2013 test takers, and now it seems like the opposite. I suppose in the end, success depends much more on the quality of the person, rather than the prep materials one chooses to use.

BS was def very difficult. Verbal reasoning I thought was fair PS I thought was fair too but thought some of the passages were challenging maybe just because PS seems to be my biggest weakness. Anyone else struggle with the PS section today?

Good luck with your scores everyone hopefully our hard work payed off!

BS was def very difficult. Verbal reasoning I thought was fair PS I thought was fair too but thought some of the passages were challenging maybe just because PS seems to be my biggest weakness. Anyone else struggle with the PS section today?

Good luck with your scores everyone hopefully our hard work payed off!
Physical a little bit...i feel like i make a lot of calculation mistakes..stupid things like converting units...bu

What is everyone's predicted score?
13/9/13

PS seemed pretty manageable, except those 2 questions (edited a word) that came out of nowhere - I can't even find the answer by googling.
VR always a struggle, averaged 11 in practice, thinking 9-10 on this one. Maybe 11.
BS like everyone said, they really throw some next level stuff at you so get the basics down and you should be able to understand the passage.

As is the general consensus, I felt that AAMC 10&11 were closest to this. Scored 35 on both so here's hoping I do it again.

Just out of curiosity, why is the waiting period still 30 days? I always thought the writing portion was the reason it was so long. But now that they've gotten rid of it...

Been lurking on this thread awhile...whoa, hello there, BS. I did not focus enough on orgo when studying. PS was pretty calc heavy but like someone else said, I didn't think it was too bad. Know your basics!!!!:cigar:

Just out of curiosity, why is the waiting period still 30 days? I always thought the writing portion was the reason it was so long. But now that they've gotten rid of it...

I don't know any more than you, but maybe it's to prevent students from retaking it too soon? I know the DAT has a mandated 90-day period before you can retake. This might be the MCAT's way of doing it. But again, this is all speculation.

PS - straight forward for the most part. I didn't think it was unusually calculation heavy. BUT, they asked some passage questions that were obscure and could have definitely been hard discretes.

VR - I'll tell you when i get my score

BS - difficult. One question I completely guessed on - Had no idea what the answer could be. I was worried about the discretes but those weren't hard. And am happy that there was a substantial amount of ochem.

Overall, I had next to no time (maybe 2-3 minutes) to review and I feel like my score will reflect how accurate my gut feeling was.

I found BS to be more difficult than the practice ones.

Prediction before the test - 12/(10-11)/11
After - (11-12)/(10-11)/10 (hopefully)

I think I'm going to sign up to take it again in June and if anything cancel if I find out I did well

I'm a non-trad and this was my second time taking this exam. I've been studying since July because I wanted to break a 30. After taking my last MCAT I realized how much my standardized test taking skills were lacking. My aamc average this time around was a 33, with a 36 and 34 on aamc 10 and 11. (I took these last march, but didn't really review them so I didn't remember anything) Needless to say, this exam made me feel worse then I did after my last exam.

PS- I think I did really well on this section. Finished with 10 min to spare. Not very calculation heavy, but there were a lot of obscure conceptual questions. Just make sure you scour the aamc outline and know every topic cold. There is no such thing as high or low yield. This was always my best section so I'm really hoping for 10-12.

VR- Who knows. This was my worst section on my last exam, but I was able to bring my practice score up significantly this past year. Maybe it's just me, but the passages seemed about 25% longer, and the questions were pretty difficult. I felt like I kept having to go back to the passage, and and comparing how something in one paragraph related to something in a different paragraph (just as an example). I just took a long time to figure out what was going on. I had to guess on 4 questions on the last passage since I ran out of time. I'd be happy with a 9.

BS- wow. What a killer. Wasn't anticipating so much ochem. Usually I do well on ochem in the practice exams since you can figure things out from passage. These questions were either tough experimental type questions or just straight up discretes.

I was anticipating some tough bio experimental passages, so I did every question/passage in the TPRH workbook, and did lots of outside reading. I also did a bunch of passages from TBR, but those still weren't as complex as the real exam. I was doing well on the aamc practice exams too. Unfortunately, I felt like none of that paid off. I was still at a complete loss. I randomly guessed at at least 7 questions from what I remember. What a blur. PRAYING for a 10.

This next month is really going to suck.

AAMC 8, 10, 11 average: 13-11-14
GS 1-10 average: 11-11-12
Best prediction for this exam: 11-12-10. And that ten is pushing it.

Who knows, though, really. This is my second time taking the exam and the first time I scored 8 points lower than my average practice test. I took it during finals week and the person next to me read all of his questions out loud in a thick accent, which was extremely distracting, so I don't think it was a fair performance. The point is that we really have no idea.

I'm hoping the curve for BS will be crazy generous. I think for AAMC 11 you could get a 36/52 and get a 10. Hopefully it'll be around there, or maybe a little bit lower for this test.

I kind of froze when I started PS, but I had time at the very end to go back and check over my answers. There were a couple questions where I narrowed down the choices and then had to pick between two. There wasn't anything on it that I had to completely guess on I don't think. I just hope that I didn't make any stupid mistakes.

I felt like verbal was most like the aamc practice exams. I finished with 15 or so minutes left so I went back through and re-read the passages I had trouble with. There were a couple questions where I narrowed it down between two choices and had trouble picking a definite answer.

BS was a beast....

Has anyone gone through last years thread? When are scores projected to go up? May 5th?

Who knows, though, really. This is my second time taking the exam and the first time I scored 8 points lower than my average practice test. I took it during finals week and the person next to me read all of his questions out loud in a thick accent, which was extremely distracting, so I don't think it was a fair performance. The point is that we really have no idea.
Whoa. How did you even concentrate with that going on?!

I don't know any more than you, but maybe it's to prevent students from retaking it too soon? I know the DAT has a mandated 90-day period before you can retake. This might be the MCAT's way of doing it. But again, this is all speculation.

The mcat already has a 3 day waiting period before you can sign up for a retake, so I don't think it's because of this

Longtime lurker, I didn't know who else to ask --

Did anyone get a repeated question? I think it was on PS, maybe #25 and 26 (not sure). It was literally a question and answer choices repeated word for word. I don't know what to do with that and the testing center just told me to "contact AAMC" so can anyone advise me on what to do?

The mcat already has a 3 day waiting period before you can sign up for a retake, so I don't think it's because of this

I think the 30-35 day period allows for the AAMC to receive feedback from all the testing centers and individuals taking the exam. It also allows takes time for them to decide on specific situations where there were irregularities at the testing centers (deciding whether or not some of these people might have to retake). They need to make sure that everyone received a fair shot at the exam and it was standardized for everyone taking the test that day. If they give the scores out right away and find out that at one testing center or another there was an issue that must result in some scores being voided they would get a enormous amount of negative feedback from these certain individuals (the ones that had a good score at least). They want to make 100% certain that the scores that are released have no issues and this takes time.

I took the July 26, 2013 MCAT and let me tell you that it was the hardest thing I have ever seen in my whole life. The PS section was horrible (I left 4-5 answers BLANK and had to rush with 5-6 other questions), The verbal was also very hard, and the Bio was extremely difficult as well. I left the exam center feeling exactly how many of you felt with these awfully low predictions of my score.

I hope I can put most of you at ease when I say that my score was EXACTLY what I was averaging on my AAMC practice exams. So just because the AAMC exams were relatively easy and your MCAT was SUPER hard does not mean that you will do poorly, its all relative, most of you will score in your AAMC average target range as long as you were on top of your game. The bio section may have been super hard but who knows a 10 could be 32/52, so don't over worry!

Longtime lurker, I didn't know who else to ask --

Did anyone get a repeated question? I think it was on PS, maybe #25 and 26 (not sure). It was literally a question and answer choices repeated word for word. I don't know what to do with that and the testing center just told me to "contact AAMC" so can anyone advise me on what to do?

I didn't have two questions that were repeated, but there were two questions that were similar to each other. You may have misread them.

As for my predictions, I would make a conservative estimate of 13/9/12.

I thought PS was very straightforward, with questions that I am used to. I can see how it would be possible to make a couple of errors, though and with an ungenerous curve that could easily land me up with a 13.

Verbal is always the section that I do worst on. I felt like this verbal had mostly normal passages, with the first passage being extremely tough for me to analyze. That first passage left me with a very unclean feeling about my verbal score.

I didn't think BS was as bad as most people say. My computer went out half way through and I had to get it restarted, which sucked but I finished with 6 minutes extra anyways and didn't end up changing anything. Did this ever happen to anyone else? I'm worried that my answers from the previous sections might be in jeopardy since the computer had to reboot. The passages on BS weren't too bad, but some of the questions were hard because they were more logic oriented rather than biological knowledge oriented.

Just my $0.02. I'm really looking forward to getting my score though.

Im so confused as to how the curve works. So on the AAMC grading scale, if you get 1 wrong you're automatically at a 14 in certain sections. But on the real MCAT, you could potentially get 5 wrong and still get a 15? Is this because of experimental questions in that section or something? Im not sure if my question is coming off clear at all, but if anyone could elaborate a bit i'd appreciate it.

Has anyone actually contacted the aamc regarding ambiguities in the questions? I feel like there were definitely some in both the PS and BS sections, but i can't remember what they actually were-which is so frustrating! We have 4 more days to do so, so if anyone remembers, please do so, lets not have this be a bystander effect!

I personally felt the overemphasis of obscure organic topics was very frustrating, like someone else here said. However, I'm hoping it some of those qs were experimental (anyone strongly think so/want to give me hope?)…all the orgo on the practice tests seemed to test the same type of orgo and this was a whole different kind.

PS was weird in that it combined topics together in an unexpected way and I feel that one question demanded understanding of a certain non-science vocabulary word in order to understand what it was asking, which I thought was unfair bc english should be tested in verbal, not in other places.

I really hope the "curve" ends up good but i'm sadly pessimistic….its so hard for me to focus on my schoolwork with this exam looming in my mind…

i was getting 33s/34s on the aamcs but this just feels like a disaster….

also, i wish they would give extra points for harder questions or something…its frustrating that some of the qs pertaining to easier topics were worded in such a awkward way or contained contradictions in the question stems, causing me to get easy topic qs wrong and the harder qs right. it sucks that they're worth the same amount...

Reading questions allowed might be construed as suspicious behavior. I would have told the proctor. How annoying!

Edit....I see you did tell the proctor. Nevermind.