The Official April 5th, 2014 MCAT Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
139 days!

You know, for a couple of weeks I thought I would just not subscribe to any particular SDN MCAT thread. Figured it wasn't necessary. But, frankly, knowing that there are other people out there--pissed about not remembering values for logs, and trying to sort out where epinephrine is secreted from ("Was that the adrenal cortex... or adrenal medulla?")--makes this slog towards test date bearable :)

Best of luck, fellow lost souls!

(P.S...... it's from the medulla ;) )

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Longtime lurker, I didn't know who else to ask --

Did anyone get a repeated question? I think it was on PS, maybe #25 and 26 (not sure). It was literally a question and answer choices repeated word for word. I don't know what to do with that and the testing center just told me to "contact AAMC" so can anyone advise me on what to do?

I also noticed that #25 and #26 in PS were repeat questions on my exam. Word for word.

for those saying that question 25+26 were the exact same, IIRC they were almost the same, each one referring to their respective similar objects

also, i wish they would give extra points for harder questions or something…its frustrating that some of the qs pertaining to easier topics were worded in such a awkward way or contained contradictions in the question stems, causing me to get easy topic qs wrong and the harder qs right. it sucks that they're worth the same amount...

That would make no sense in my opinion, whats hard to you might be easy to someone else and vise versa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else have, literally, no clue with respect to how they performed?

I don't feel like I performed horrendously (I mean, I definitely didn't get a 4 composite), but because of the time constraints, I have no idea what to make of relying on my knee-jerk reaction to answering these questions. Content-wise? Solid. Execution-wise? No clue. I would LIKE to think that I scored in the 30's. In fact, If I don't get a 35 or higher, I am forced to retake because of a weak GPA. BUT... did I even break a 30? Or maybe I'll get lucky and come out on the North side of a 36. Maybe I'll be shocked and end up with a 22!

No. Freaking. Clue.

I will say that I didn't come out thinking, "Oh. My. God. I need to take the appropriate actions to sue the AAMC for this unholy test." It was CHALLENGING; not insurmountable. But, perhaps I am disillusioned.

May 6th cannot come soon enough....

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone else have, literally, no clue with respect to how they performed?

I don't feel like I performed horrendously (I mean, I definitely didn't get a 4 composite), but because of the time constraints, I have no idea what to make of relying on my knee-jerk reaction to answering these questions. Content-wise? Solid. Execution-wise? No clue. I would LIKE to think that I scored in the 30's. In fact, If I don't get a 35 or higher, I am forced to retake because of a weak GPA. BUT... did I even break a 30? Or maybe I'll get lucky and come out on the North side of a 36. Maybe I'll be shocked and end up with a 22!

No. Freaking. Clue.

I will say that I didn't come out thinking, "Oh. My. God. I need to take the appropriate actions to sue the AAMC for this unholy test." It was CHALLENGING; not insurmountable. But, perhaps I am disillusioned.

May 6th cannot come soon enough....

Yep. No idea.

Longtime lurker, I didn't know who else to ask --

Did anyone get a repeated question? I think it was on PS, maybe #25 and 26 (not sure). It was literally a question and answer choices repeated word for word. I don't know what to do with that and the testing center just told me to "contact AAMC" so can anyone advise me on what to do?

I think I know what you're talking about. They were different

I also noticed that #25 and #26 in PS were repeat questions on my exam. Word for word.

I only noticed this when I went back to check my answers, but the questions weren't the same. There was only a 1 word difference between the questions, but that word was what made the answer different. My first time through my adrenaline was pumping and I was certain they were the same question. Very sneaky.

My thoughts on the exam. My Aamc tests ranged from 32-36.

I thought the PS was really tough. The passages were obscure and tested things that weren't emphasized on practice exams. I also messed up a few easy questions mostly because I was kind of thrown off by the whole thing. Really wasn't adequately prepared for certain topics. Barely had time to recheck any answers. Went terribly. Fairly confident I underperformed in this section.

VS same as usual. However, the passages as a whole felt really long, especially the first couple. Usually don't have any time left in this section and didn't on test day either.

Bs was definitely challenging, but doable if you knew your stuff. The orgo was the worst part, which sucks bc its usually easy points for me. I definitely agree with what others said about going with your gut and I have absolutely NO idea how I did. I went back and changed at least 1 correct answer last minute bc I second guessed myself. Beating myself up about that. The whole thing was a blur and seemed much more intense than practice exams.

Oh and I got the seat next to the door which was awful.

Last edited:
...mostly because I was kind of thrown off by the whole thing.

I was there, too.

My head was incredibly noisy when I started testing: "Oh my god! I can't believe I'm ACTUALLY here!", "Ok, focus. FO-CUS!" "Uh-oh....OH NO... NO....my highlighter tool is not working.", "Wha-what am I reading...?"

After the first PS passage of standing DIRECTLY in my own way, I can LITERALLY recall thinking that I could not do it. I thought that it was too difficult, I was not focused, and that was it... I would be cashed out for the duration. After that fleeting moment of being a complete (censored for public internets) wiener, I metaphorically open-palm slapped myself across the face and got over it.

To the future test-takers: 90% of the challenge of this test is being able to muscle through it. Is it more laborious than the practice exams? Absolutely. Is it probably designed that way to find the students who are capable of performing well under duress? You can probably put money on it. So, if you ever feel that cold chill of self-doubt begin to creep up your spine, (assuming it's not just the Prometric A/C switched to "Arctic Winter"), take a deep breath and know that it's all part of the gauntlet.

On my first break I had the horrible epiphany that the "review skipped" questions button was present when I got to the finished screen. My mouse had sometimes been scrolling down, sometimes not, but it didn't really hit me that these 2 things may have been linked until the time I was on my break. I don't remember seeing any questions marked as incomplete in the column but I wasn't really looking because I thought I had completed all of them. Needless to say I thought I was going to void for the rest of the test. I ignored the clock and answered many of the questions by what I would call "unconventional deduction" and by the time I had got to the end I actually felt pretty good about everything. I started thinking that perhaps it might be better to loose a few points then sacrifice through another month of my life on this test. Before the test I thought I was sitting comfortably in the ~38 range (14~15/10~11/14~15) now I really have no idea. I wouldn't be surprised if I start having nightmares about that undepressed button, since I finished most of my time has been spent thinking about it. Afterthoughts are probably PS 14(assuming I only missed ~2 from being unanswered), 10 verbal, and soft 14 BS

edit: I think the balls-out attitude really helped, I would have been much more flustered on a lot of the bio if I didn't think I had already failed..

edit2: I think a conceptual understanding was key to making the PS section easy; I did TBR,nova,chads, gs, and wikipremed. Wikipremed is really leaps and bounds ahead of the rest in teaching a conceptual--and thus a workable understanding

Last edited:
On my first break I had the horrible epiphany that the "review skipped" questions button was present when I got to the finished screen. My mouse had sometimes been scrolling down, sometimes not, but it didn't really hit me that these 2 things may have been linked until the time I was on my break. I don't remember seeing any questions marked as incomplete in the column but I wasn't really looking because I thought I had completed all of them. Needless to say I thought I was going to void for the rest of the test. I ignored the clock and answered many of the questions by what I would call "unconventional deduction" and by the time I had got to the end I actually felt pretty good about everything. I started thinking that perhaps it might be better to loose a few points then sacrifice through another month of my life on this test. Before the test I thought I was sitting comfortably in the ~38 range (14~15/10~11/14~15) now I really have no idea. I wouldn't be surprised if I start having nightmares about that undepressed button, since I finished most of my time has been spent thinking about it. Afterthoughts are probably PS 14(assuming I only missed ~2 from being unanswered), 10 verbal, and soft 14 BS

edit: I think the balls-out attitude really helped, I would have been much more flustered on a lot of the bio if I didn't think I had already failed..

edit2: I think a conceptual understanding was key to making the PS section easy; I did TBR,nova,chads, gs, and wikipremed. Wikipremed is really leaps and bounds ahead of the rest in teaching a conceptual--and thus a workable understanding

Are you referring to wikipremed's physics videos?

Sorry for the delay, car is stuck at a bar. Dead batteries, transmission solenoid literally was on the ground, ALL my oil leaked out, starter is shot. Great end to the night by the way :help:

PS: I literally chose a random answer for 3 questions, thought they were really hard so figured I was gonna go for easier points than try to possibly get these 3 right. The rest of the section was kind of obscure, not a lot of calculations (2 of those I skipped were calculations I wasn't familiar with). It wasn't too bad overall though.

VR: I never know how well I do on this. On practice exams, when I felt good about it I didn't have a good score. But when I felt bad about it my score was decent. That said I thought this wasn't thaaat bad. (Which makes me seriously worried my score will be low). Passages were about the same length of any AAMC exams.

BS: Ughh I think I did bad on this. I had 1 ochem passage, but it was WTF hard. I did the best I could but I honestly could have gotten the whole passage wrong for all I know. For the biol passages, make sure to follow through with it. Writing down the process helped me reason through some convoluted stuff.

Overall: I can't for the life of me pin point how I did.. It could easily range anywhere from 27-32. I'll let y'all know in a month no matter what my score is.

PS: Mainly conceptual and honestly not very hard. TBR seemed to prepare me well for this section especially the shortcuts posted in a couple of the chapters. The calculations that were on there could have went either way so we will see. Prediction: 8-10. For VR: Most difficult in my opinion. The first two passages were killer and even a couple of the easier passages had difficult lengthy topics that were dense and boring to read. The questions were also lengthy for the most part. I used EK Verbal and felt it did not prepare me well enough for this section. Prediction: 4-8. For BS: I have a B.S. in Biology and most of the more difficult undergrad courses under my belt and I felt this section was tricky but not too hard. Reasoning skills are put to the test here along with selecting the "MCAT" answer I like to call it. Prediction 8-11

Members don't see this ad :)
I was there, too.

My head was incredibly noisy when I started testing: "Oh my god! I can't believe I'm ACTUALLY here!", "Ok, focus. FO-CUS!" "Uh-oh....OH NO... NO....my highlighter tool is not working.", "Wha-what am I reading...?"

After the first PS passage of standing DIRECTLY in my own way, I can LITERALLY recall thinking that I could not do it. I thought that it was too difficult, I was not focused, and that was it... I would be cashed out for the duration. After that fleeting moment of being a complete (censored for public internets) wiener, I metaphorically open-palm slapped myself across the face and got over it.

To the future test-takers: 90% of the challenge of this test is being able to muscle through it. Is it more laborious than the practice exams? Absolutely. Is it probably designed that way to find the students who are capable of performing well under duress? You can probably put money on it. So, if you ever feel that cold chill of self-doubt begin to creep up your spine, (assuming it's not just the Prometric A/C switched to "Arctic Winter"), take a deep breath and know that it's all part of the gauntlet.

You just described my experience exactly. When I sat down my mind was screaming THIS IS HAPPENING and I had to work to really calm myself down. I have been very hard on myself because of this.

My thoughts on the exam. My Aamc tests ranged from 32-36.

I thought the PS was really tough. The passages were obscure and tested things that weren't emphasized on practice exams. I also messed up a few easy questions mostly because I was kind of thrown off by the whole thing. Really wasn't adequately prepared for certain topics. Barely had time to recheck any answers. Went terribly. Fairly confident I underperformed in this section.

VS same as usual. However, the passages as a whole felt really long, especially the first couple. Usually don't have any time left in this section and didn't on test day either.

Bs was definitely challenging, but doable if you knew your stuff. The orgo was the worst part, which sucks bc its usually easy points for me. I definitely agree with what others said about going with your gut and I have absolutely NO idea how I did. I went back and changed at least 1 correct answer last minute bc I second guessed myself. Beating myself up about that. The whole thing was a blur and seemed much more intense than practice exams.

Oh and I got the seat next to the door which was awful.

I second this analysis. I think obscure is the perfect characterization of the PS section. Verbal was tough on this exam (on practice AAMCs I ranged from 11-14 but I have no idea how I did on this verbal...it was tricky. BS was definitely as you said, challenging but doable if you knew all your ins and outs.

for those saying that question 25+26 were the exact same, IIRC they were almost the same, each one referring to their respective similar objects
Yes sir you are correct. I noticed that also. At first I was like WOW they made a huge mistake here..and then I re-read a couple of times and saw that no, not the same question at all.

Note: Be careful to not break the code! Don't talk about specifics!

Damn that bio section doe!!! Physical sciences seemed pretty straight forward but verbal reasoning was a little challenging as well (mainly time management) I hope I will do okay!

@Bbqchickenman : I watched every PS video and took notes like a normal class, I came at it with the intention of squeezing every drop of PS reasoning out of this slow talking man. After I realized how good he was, I couldn't help myself but to also watch all his genchem videos and buy his flashcards as well. Ill admit, I didn't really use the flashcards--premade materials aren't really my style, but something about seeing that gigantic box of 500 cards in sz 7 font reminded me that a fundamentally inclusive knowledge wasn't going to come easy. BR problems would occasionally touch on the complicated problems where only knowing equations would lead you astray, but with the conceptual knowledge of the wikipremed guy the answer was obvious, just another application of fundamental theory. Also when you buy something from him he sends you a free cd of all the videos in mp4 so you can watch them on fast play. I seriously can't praise this guy enough-- his teachings feel like Simon Sineks golden circle applied to question answering; every other company tries to get you to conquer the test from the outside-in but he teaches that with most obscure mcat questions, the answer is usually gotten from the inside-out approach. Best part? he does it for free. The best PS preparation is also the free prep. go figure.

don't know who simon sinek is but feel that you should? here: http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action

@Bbqchickenman : I watched every PS video and took notes like a normal class, I came at it with the intention of squeezing every drop of PS reasoning out of this slow talking man. After I realized how good he was, I couldn't help myself but to also watch all his genchem videos and buy his flashcards as well. Ill admit, I didn't really use the flashcards--premade materials aren't really my style, but something about seeing that gigantic box of 500 cards in sz 7 font reminded me that a fundamentally inclusive knowledge wasn't going to come easy. BR problems would occasionally touch on the complicated problems where only knowing equations would lead you astray, but with the conceptual knowledge of the wikipremed guy the answer was obvious, just another application of fundamental theory. Also when you buy something from him he sends you a free cd of all the videos in mp4 so you can watch them on fast play. I seriously can't praise this guy enough-- his teachings feel like Simon Sineks golden circle applied to question answering; every other company tries to get you to conquer the test from the outside-in but he teaches that with most obscure mcat questions, the answer is usually gotten from the inside-out approach. Best part? he does it for free. The best PS preparation is also the free prep. go figure.

don't know who simon sinek is but feel that you should? here: http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action

2 things to say about this:

1. I agree, Jon Wetzel is awesome.... seriously helped me so much to use Wikipremed physics in conjunction with TBR.

2. He sent you a CD with all his videos??? That jerk... I bought the flashcards and didn't get jack. It's cool though, I just download his videos off his site and then play them at double speed with VLC. Would've been nice to have them all on CD though...

The PS section to me was very straightforward. VR passages were long but not too too bad. But the BIo.. i wanted to just quit halfway through it just kept getting worse and worse. It was so obscure :\

Reading this forum makes me feel much better. I usually have at least 10 minutes left for the bio section to review my answers but this is the first time that I almost run out of time :oops: !!! I had 5 minutes left and still one passage and 5 free standing questions left!
Verbal was never my strongest area but I was definitely not prepared for such long passages. Also I was surprised how many inference questions they were asking. Usually there's not that many questions asking about details in the passage. So yeah that one went bad as well .... especially since I lost one minute because the testcenter sucks!! I took one minute break and it took them 10 minutes to check me back in!!! I was soooooo pissed when I got back in and I saw that my verbal section already started. One advice to all of you: don't leave that chair until you are done!! relax during the 10 minutes break!! and be ready for any kind of interruptions.
During my BS section they turned the heat on (I felt so dizzy at one point) then I guess someone complained and then the AC was on!! Imagine sweating for half an hour and then being in a freezer for the remaining time. I can tell you I was not ready for such harsh conditions!!!!
Most likely I will have to take it again probably end of May :( and this is my last chance for this year!! So stressfullllll !!!!

This wait is gonna drive me crazy, I can't stop trying to tabulate how many questions I got wrong. I know for a fact I missed 4 on PS and 3 on BS, not to mention the unmarked questions I might have carelessly made mistakes

Yeah, I'm still waiting till April 22 for my results and even though it is only 2 more weeks, it is still going by slowly as hell

The more I think about it the more I think I messed up lol

For PS/BS I went through all the questions pretty quickly the first time around and answered the ones I could. I had like 25-30 minutes to go through them all again and work on the ones I had trouble with. I'm just hoping I didn't make too many careless mistakes

The more I think about it the more I think I messed up lol

For PS/BS I went through all the questions pretty quickly the first time around and answered the ones I could. I had like 25-30 minutes to go through them all again and work on the ones I had trouble with. I'm just hoping I didn't make too many careless mistakes

Was your aamc average ok? I had no choice but to retake mine, but I did score a 32 on one I never took. Other than that, I have no real gauge on my performance

Yeah, I'm still waiting till April 22 for my results and even though it is only 2 more weeks, it is still going by slowly as hell

Well I hope you get good news, I've read that the 3/22 exam was a killer

This wait is gonna drive me crazy, I can't stop trying to tabulate how many questions I got wrong. I know for a fact I missed 4 on PS and 3 on BS, not to mention the unmarked questions I might have carelessly made mistakes

I was driving to work today and was thinking about a particular question that I would have sworn I answered correctly during the test. All of a sudden, I was struck by panic when I realized that it could have been asking for something only slightly different that would yield the opposite answer. I've been thinking about that all day...

...I'm pretty sure I got it right. I mean, come on.... But, did I?

I got at least 4 BS and 3 PS questions wrong. I remembered them and looked them up later. I actually even had the question correct at first for several and then changed my answer. It's hard to not keep thinking about it.

I was driving to work today and was thinking about a particular question that I would have sworn I answered correctly during the test. All of a sudden, I was struck by panic when I realized that it could have been asking for something only slightly different that would yield the opposite answer. I've been thinking about that all day...

I hear ya, had that realization on a PS question yesterday

I don't think it's the feeling like one particular passage was unusually difficult with equally challenging questions (save that BS passage), it's the fact that you feel like you got "nickel and dimed" on a bunch of them

Was your aamc average ok? I had no choice but to retake mine, but I did score a 32 on one I never took. Other than that, I have no real gauge on my performance

Well I hope you get good news, I've read that the 3/22 exam was a killer

I was averaging a 33 on aamc 3-10...

I don't want to wait another month

I feel like I'm losing it.

The worst part is that I seriously must have blacked out during the exam because I can barely remember 1/4 of the questions. So on top of obsessing about my answers, I keep trying to recreate the actual questions in my head. And then of course I recreate how I answered it, but the truth is I have no idea. I just remember this horrible feeling I had during the exam that things were not going well.

Glad to see I'm not the only person obsessing over how things went...when I really should be studying for my exam on Wednesday:arghh:

I was there, too.

!

To the future test-takers: 90% of the challenge of this test is being able to muscle through it. Is it more laborious than the practice exams? Absolutely. Is it probably designed that way to find the students who are capable of performing well under duress? You can probably put money on it. So, if you ever feel that cold chill of self-doubt begin to creep up your spine, (assuming it's not just the Prometric A/C switched to "Arctic Winter"), take a deep breath and know that it's all part of the gauntlet

I wish I could like this more than once. Hoping I can keep my nerves next month

I feel like I'm losing it.

The worst part is that I seriously must have blacked out during the exam because I can barely remember 1/4 of the questions. So on top of obsessing about my answers, I keep trying to recreate the actual questions in my head. And then of course I recreate how I answered it, but the truth is I have no idea. I just remember this horrible feeling I had during the exam that things were not going well.
Hang in there!
It's pretty common to black out about tests, I think. I used to do that in undergrad all the time. It doesn't mean anything. Just try to enjoy not studying for the MCAT for a while. :)

I didn't find the full length tests to be THAT indicative of the real deal.
I'm in no way undermining the AAMC practice tests, however I felt, at least while taking the test (may or may not change depending on my score), that they prepared me more so for taking a large science test in general rather than the test I took on Saturday.

I did not find the actual test, in terms of the style of questions, to be a perfection reflection of the AAMC practice tests style. Which is odd when you think about it, because there really is quite a bit of consistency from one practice test to the next, again, at least in their style, but then the actual test seems to come out of left field a bit. The practice tests seem outdated in this respect.

I'm in no way undermining the AAMC practice tests, however I felt, at least while taking the test (may or may not change depending on my score), that they prepared me more so for taking a large science test in general rather than the test I took on Saturday.

I did not find the actual test, in terms of the style of questions, to be a perfection reflection of the AAMC practice tests style. Which is odd when you think about it, because there really is quite a bit of consistency from one practice test to the next, again, at least in their style, but then the actual test seems to come out of left field a bit. The practice tests seem outdated in this respect.

Anything you recommend to practice to simulate the test questions? Kaplan? Tbr? Self-Assessment?

Agreed.

I feel like the PS/Verbal sections were at least relatively close to the practice tests. BS came from left field and was 100 times harder than aamc 10

I was averaging an 11 on the 8 practice exams I took in the course of my studying and I feel like I'd be lucky to get a 10 on the actual thing. PS and Verbal I feel slightly better about, but both can go either way

Anything you recommend to practice to simulate the test questions? Kaplan? Tbr? Self-Assessment?
Physics: Make sure you understand both small details about things in chemistry (e.g. structures,reason for periodic trends,etc) and the general rules in physics. The former is best learned through audio-osmosis, review sheets, test corrections,etc and the latter is best learned through consistent practice with the rules.
Verbal: this section is consistent with the practice tests, but it was all a blur for me. you will most likely score your practice test score here.
Biology: This section contains a lot of biochemistry, and you must either have a biochem background or have a strong understanding of the basic rules about biology, and then just make sure you dont contradict yourself. The latter is way more important. Also, dont skip over anything, as they will ask questions that they know students ignore from their outline.
As far as the AAMC's are concerned. It really is different from the practice tests. However, real deal is most similar to AAMC 11 and most dissimiliar to AAMC 3-6.

Reactions: 2 users
I had a dream that I was on a Boston subway that de-railed (for anyone who has ridden the Orange Line: you know this is probably possible). So, my mind is now constructing allegories for how I think the test went ;)

I had a dream that I was on a Boston subway that de-railed (for anyone who has ridden the Orange Line: you know this is probably possible). So, my mind is now constructing allegories for how I think the test went ;)

Oh Man, reading these posts reminds me of the movie, 'The Predator'. I don't mean to be hurtful and I hope this post will make you laugh!, but its almost like - You can't see it, but you can, so be wise and watch among the trees, its invisible, but its there and you can see it if you watchful and alert, its blood is green and it will come for you. The hunt is on May 22'nd for me: already dreading it.......:)

Oh Man, reading these posts reminds me of the movie, 'The Predator'. I don't mean to be hurtful and I hope this post will make you laugh!, but its almost like - You can't see it, but you can, so be wise and watch among the trees, its invisible, but its there and you can see it if you watchful and alert, its blood is green and it will come for you. The hunt is on May 22'nd for me: already dreading it.......:)

archer-403-predator.gif

Reactions: 1 users

Then I think Score Release Day will follow suit. You'll be at the computer, refreshing the page like...

COME ON!! DO ITTT!!!! DO IT, NOW!!!!!

arnold2.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I salute you for this reference AND longboarding. That is all.
I kept up with this thread, but I retake in a few weeks--voided like nobody's business. I'm not ashamed. Average 35 on practice aamcs, and that test was nothing like 'em. Regroup. Restudy. Refocus. Kill it. GET TO DA CHOPPA!

There is absolutely NO shame in trying to maximize your score. You're not being reckless and you're being smart. Right on, brotha (or sista, I suppose).

Edit: your avatar looks male, but you could potentially be that one creepy person who has secretly taken a picture of their work crush and used it as a profile picture.... with little hearts drawn around it.