The Official April MCAT 2015 Takers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emulsifier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've seen some old threads (from 2012, or early 2014) on the MCAT2015.

I am wondering if we can bring resources together here, discussions for those who are planning on taking the new one in or after April.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new prep material for 2015, and the chance to compare the different companies? I scoured the internet, obviously not much at the moment. But I know someone out there has started, just need to get this info out!

Edit:
Resources mentioned in this thread or elsewhere:

• Free mini-test: AAMC MCAT 2015 12 sample questions and answer (3 x 4 sections)
  • Next Step guide here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/
  • TPR 2015 books: They seem to be the same as their previous books. Their bio book has a chapter on biochem.
  • Kaplan 2015 books: removed content that is not tested. Physics section is 400 pages (may be too much for the new MCAT). Very little practice. Whole book on biochem.
  • EK 9th edition books: reformatted the whole book. SDNer reviewer has said that even parts with same illustrations have whole new contents. Got rid of topics that won't be tested. May be too condensed though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Similar to the 101 passages book you mean? What a rip off definitely not buying that then. Did the research skills in that book help at all?
Actually, I take it back. It did change. Until now I only briefly skimmed it. But their new research skills 'lecture' does seem pretty good (30 pages). Each one of their chapters is a little longer, plus they added a new chapter called 'advanced CARS skills'

And no, similar to their old verbal textbook with the strategies and all that. They gave 3 '30 minute in lecture exams'. Fo the 2015 CARS book they give 4 '30 minute in lecture exams', 3 of them being the same as the old books.

Reactions: 1 user
two questions: 1 - when is registration up for the 2015 mcat and 2. what is this i hear about april scores being released in june? i thought it took a month for scores to be graded..

1) Sometime in February. I would check again after the last old MCAT is administered.

2) Look at the calendar I attached.

Attachments

• mcat2015calendar.pdf
    295.2 KB · Views: 184
Members don't see this ad :)
Where else can I find full length practice exams aside from the one the aamc offers?
kaplan (buy 7 book set), TPR (buy 1 book), TBR (buy on their website later in like a month), NSP (buy online now). Idk if NSP is offering exams for buying books

kaplan (buy 7 book set), TPR (buy 1 book), TBR (buy on their website later in like a month), NS (buy online now). Idk if NS is offering exams for buying books

Heya - you forgot EK. Their website says their classroom course will include 4 or 5 tests so I can only assume they'll also sell those tests as a stand-alone product. I haven't seen any noise from them about when they'll do so, but I'd be surprised if they're not out by early Feb or so?

Our tests are sold as a separate bundle not with the books.

Heya - you forgot EK. Their website says their classroom course will include 4 or 5 tests so I can only assume they'll also sell those tests as a stand-alone product. I haven't seen any noise from them about when they'll do so, but I'd be surprised if they're not out by early Feb or so?

Our tests are sold as a separate bundle not with the books.

Can you link me to your test bundle? I can't seem to find it on the website.

I'm thinking about taking the new exam so I haven't done my complete research yet. I will do my research though. Just to start I want to ask you guys something.

Is it right to say that the new MCAT has the same Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Orgo topics as the old one? Therefore, using the old TBR books/questions should be fine.

Is it also right to say the new exam has added extra stuff which include biochemistry I, psychology and sociology? What else has it added?

Also what books are you guys using for the biochem + sociology/psych portion.

Is there any site with an organized quick outline/summary of this new exam somewhat similar to mcat-review.org which did it for the older version. I'm going through the pdfs on the AAMC and they seem all over the place. The PDFs themselves look like they'll take hours to study haha.

Is this a how to study for the new MCAT thread or a I need a hug please hold me thread?

I can't help but feel depressed when I think if only I had studied more I would be ready for the January date I signed up for and wouldn't be worrying about the stupid new Mcat

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this a how to study for the new MCAT thread or a I need a hug please hold me thread?
A bit of both like most MCAT threads :D

I can't help but feel depressed when I think if only I had studied more I would be ready for the January date I signed up for and wouldn't be worrying about the stupid new Mcat

I think a lot of us are in the same boat. After my MCAT try last May, I definitely was feeling that way. By now, I'm resigned to taking the new one, and actually a little happier because I won't have to worry about studying all the Physics!!:happy:

I think a lot of us are in the same boat. After my MCAT try last May, I definitely was feeling that way. By now, I'm resigned to taking the new one, and actually a little happier because I won't have to worry about studying all the Physics!!:happy:

That's true:) it will just take me time to come to terms with it I guess and move past the fear stage!

Omg I feel the exact same way! I actually became depressed for like a week, where I did nothing but eat, sleep and mope about how my lack of discipline was ruining my future :unsure: I also wish I was ready for the old MCAT…would have made life a lot simpler! But it gives me hope when I remember that our grades are based on how other students did on the new exam. We're all in the same boat of uncertainty, and I'm glad I'm not alone. We just have to do the best we can! Oh and not to mention that we will ace biochem. in med school! :D

And organic! ;)

Hello, I've been reading your comments and they are really helpful so thank you for taking the time.
I have a few questions regarding the content and questions I should be practicing:

CARS Prep: I purchased the new CARS book by Next Step + I have the old mcat's TPR verbal and EK verbal
Psychology/Sociology Prep: I purchased Princeton's Psych book (comes with 3 practice tests)
Biology: I have Princeton's 2014 book + EK Biology book (are those fine?)
Chemistry/Orgo/Physics: I have the 2014 Princeton books for the old 2014 MCAT (Are those fine in terms of preparation?)
Biochem Prep: Should I be buying a Biochemistry book or what exactly do you guys recommend? Kaplan's huge biochem book or Next Step's Biochem and Biology book? I already have TPR Bio so I really dont want to invest in the same thing in their 2015 bio/biochem book.

In terms of science passage preparations? Can I use the TPR Hyperlearning book for the sciences and TPR verbal book? Where can I get practice for Biochem and Psych/Sociology?

Regarding complete practice tests: I plan on buying the AAMC test + 3 TPR FL that come with any of their 2015 books. Also NextStep is coming out with 5 I believe.

I really appreciate the advise but the new exam prep is kind of confusing and all over the place. I know there will be more passages for the sciences and more questions per passage, but is it basically a longer version of the original mcat?

Thanks again

kaplan (buy 7 book set), TPR (buy 1 book), TBR (buy on their website later in like a month), NSP (buy online now). Idk if NSP is offering exams for buying books

How many Kaplan's full length exams do you get for buying the entire 7 book set?

A lot of people seem to be saying that there is less Physics material and Orgo material covered on the new exam. So, is it wise to use old prep resources to study the content for these 2 subject matters, or do the new books have a more condensed version of this material?

A lot of people seem to be saying that there is less Physics material and Orgo material covered on the new exam. So, is it wise to use old prep resources to study the content for these 2 subject matters, or do the new books have a more condensed version of this material?
examkrackers 9th ed is a lot more condensed. im not sure how well known they are though for their physics/orgo review

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what some of you are doing to prepare for the Psych/Soc section. I bought the Kaplan 7 Book set, but these books don't have practice passages within them. Fortunately I bought the TBR books to prepare for the MCAT that I planned to take in January but was not prepared for, so I've been using their passages to practice Bio, Physics, Chem, and OChem. I'm just not sure how to go about practicing for Psych/Soc because there don't seem to be many resources available.

If anyone's found a good review book that has lots of practice passages for this subject, I'd really love it if you could let me know!

Also, I'm pretty glad this thread exists. It seems like we're all going into this equally confused, so it makes me happy to know that I'm not alone in this. :)

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what some of you are doing to prepare for the Psych/Soc section. I bought the Kaplan 7 Book set, but these books don't have practice passages within them. Fortunately I bought the TBR books to prepare for the MCAT that I planned to take in January but was not prepared for, so I've been using their passages to practice Bio, Physics, Chem, and OChem. I'm just not sure how to go about practicing for Psych/Soc because there don't seem to be many resources available.

If anyone's found a good review book that has lots of practice passages for this subject, I'd really love it if you could let me know!

Also, I'm pretty glad this thread exists. It seems like we're all going into this equally confused, so it makes me happy to know that I'm not alone in this. :)

TPR 2015 Science workbook has 30 psych passages
TPR ICC has 12 psych passages
TPR Psych review book has 8 passages and 8 sets of FSQ
EK 9th edition has 15 psych passages and 120 FSQ
Kaplan lesson book has around 15 psych passages but no answer key
I think next step has a book on psych

Then you have aamcofficial guide, aamc official exam, 5 tpr exams, 3 kaplan exams, next step exams, tbr exams

So if you use just about every resource you'll end up with around 250 psych passages

Last edited:

Then you have aamcofficial guide, aamc official exam, 5 tpr exams, 3 kaplan exams, next step exams, tbr exams

So if you use just about every resource you'll end up with around 250 psych passages

I'm assuming you have all these resources? Is the outline on the AAMC website the same as the official guide? If that's the case I'd prefer to just purchase the questions separately for 10 dollars.

Also could you help me a bit since you seem to have knowledge about the resources. I have all TBR books for chem, physics, orgo and physics. I've completed them so I'm not worried about these sections. I also have TPR Science Workbook and the Verbal book. The older ones though.

For Biochemistry and Psychology/Sociology what books do you recommend? TPR for Psychology/Sociology is what I've heard. What about for Biochem?

Also what full lengths/practice do you recommend and how much do these things cost? I'm trying to make a list of new books/full lengths I'd have to purchase.

TLDR: I'm basically confused as hell about what to get alongside my TBR books for the new exam, and want a list of items I should purchase :laugh:

Thank You

Last edited:

Do you happen to know if TPR science workbook is filled with new passages or did they just reuse the old ones?

I'm assuming you have all these resources? Is the outline on the AAMC website the same as the official guide? If that's the case I'd prefer to just purchase the questions separately for 10 dollars.

Also could you help me a bit since you seem to have knowledge about the resources. I have all TBR books for chem, physics, orgo and physics. I've completed them so I'm not worried about these sections. I also have TPR Science Workbook and the Verbal book. The older ones though.

For Biochemistry and Psychology/Sociology what books do you recommend? TPR for Psychology/Sociology is what I've heard. What about for Biochem?

Also what full lengths/practice do you recommend and how much do these things cost? I'm trying to make a list of new books/full lengths I'd have to purchase.

TLDR: I'm basically confused as hell about what to get alongside my TBR books for the new exam, and want a list of items I should purchase :laugh:

Thank You

yes, I have everything except next step. And yeah i'm almost sure the outline is the same as the pdf you can find online.. and online you can use ctrl+F which is much better for comparing the old and new outlines imo. I will probably use EK for psych as well, but also TPR as a reference. I'm not sure which is better as I haven't even started studying for psych yet, but EK did do a better job updating for the new exam, so it's possible they did a better job with psych.

You can get 5 TPR exams by registering a couple of their books, and 3 kaplan exams by 'buying the 7 set book' but in reality it's pretty easy to get it. so you could potentially get 8 exams ~free of charge. AAMC exam of course, is like $25. Then next step has exams and TBR will release exams in a month or two, although those will be expensive.

EK 9th has around 75-80 pages on biochem which is the primary source I'll be using. Kaplan has over 400 pages.

Do you happen to know if TPR science workbook is filled with new passages or did they just reuse the old ones?

the best part about the workbook are the psychology passages. i only have 2008 tprh sw to compare it to, and they seemed to have gotten rid of many passages/questions for the new workbook. i only looked thru orgo though. also seemingly less FSQ's
only if someone who has taken the class wants to sell it, but its a holy mcat book

i am going to sell one of mine

this thread is very helpful. thanks everyone!

i have the old TPR science workbook. is there a new one? if so, could i get a link.

So is there a general consensus that TPR's Biology and Biochemistry Review text will not be sufficient for the Biochemistry portion of the exam? The more thorough way to prepare would be to go through the biochemistry outline and read that material in Lehninger. But that would be overkill. Any tips?

You can get 5 TPR exams by registering a couple of their books, and 3 kaplan exams by 'buying the 7 set book' but in reality it's pretty easy to get it. so you could potentially get 8 exams ~free of charge. AAMC exam of course, is like $25. Then next step has exams and TBR will release exams in a month or two, although those will be expensive.

EK 9th has around 75-80 pages on biochem which is the primary source I'll be using. Kaplan has over 400 pages.

i am going to sell one of mine

I have one 2015 TPR book that comes with 3 practice exams. How do I know that if I buy a second TPR book that I won't be getting the same 3 practice exams?? Not sure how this works?

Also, is there a way to get the kaplan exams without buying the entire Kaplan set? I already have all the 2014 TPR books plus next step's CARS and TPR 2015 Psych/Soc.

Which EK BIO has 80 pages on biochem? 1 or 2? I really dont want an entire book of Biochem as it seems like an overkill and just a load of info thats not going to be needed and just a waste of time.

Is your 2015 MCAT SCIENCE WORKBOOK used? and how come you're selling it?

My resources I have/stuff i'd like to study & complete for the 2015MCAT
- TBR - Physics, Gchem, Ochem - all old
- Kaplan 2015 behavioural sciences review (new 1st edition)
- EK101 Verbal Passages - old one
- TPR science workbook - old one
- Khan Academy Videos + Passages
- Whatever AAMC tests are available
- TBR - Using the Bio review for Bio AND BioChem (old)

And then maybe supplement with other stuff depending on how I'm feeling by the end of it. But i'm hoping after all that, i'll supplement with more questions and practice if anything. I don't want to be learning more after going through all that material. Probably something for stats, but I should be ok for that, just took a stats course.

The Kaplan book is alright, so far it's been sensory stuff, so not really into the psyche portion yet. But seems half decent.
Anyone watched the Khan Videos? Seems like a lengthy endeavour. Might try to chip away by watching a few everyday.

Ahh, guys. I don't know what to do for practice passages besides the few that came with my Kaplan books and the ones on Khan Academy. I'm following the SN2ed 2015 schedule (although I have to put in the new topics myself) and they use TBR passages. Today was my physics day and I went to do passages but they were using formulas not covered in the Kaplan books (so I'm assuming they're not on the new MCAT) and now I don't know where else to get my passage practice from!

The lack of resources for this exam sucks.

Err. Why are you assuming that if it's not in the Kaplan books those formulas/topics aren't going to be on the test? I'd suggest double checking with the AAMC outline to make sure... even though the outline isn't super great either!

Err. Why are you assuming that if it's not in the Kaplan books those formulas/topics aren't going to be on the test? I'd suggest double checking with the AAMC outline to make sure... even though the outline isn't super great either!

Yeah, I already checked the outline and the outline is so vague it doesn't even have the things in the Kaplan books. I made the assumption because the Kaplan books have been aligned with the AAMC topics almost perfectly. They're even titled and subtitled according to the AAMC topics.

I'm still on the fence about taking the April (or May) exam. I'm taking the MCAT tomorrow, but I know that it's absolutely going to be a disaster so I'll likely end up voiding or having a terrible score. So having to take the new version is just an inevitability at this point. How much of a gamble do y'all think it would be to take the MCAT 2015 and apply for the 2016 cycle when AMCAS open up this summer? Would it create a disadvantage to have a score from the new exam compared to all the other applicants who have scores from the current version? Or maybe there would be some "leniency" given towards the guinea pigs who are taking the first administration of the new version?

I am thinking about enrolling in TPR course, but am concerned that it (or any of the other prep services) won't necessarily be that big of a help considering no one knows exactly what to expect from the new MCAT yet. Could someone give me her/his two cents on all of this? Kind of freaking out here :(

Last edited:
Yeah, I already checked the outline and the outline is so vague it doesn't even have the things in the Kaplan books. I made the assumption because the Kaplan books have been aligned with the AAMC topics almost perfectly. They're even titled and subtitled according to the AAMC topics.

Oh. Haven't bought the Kaplan books so didn't realize. It's pretty cool that they at least attempt to make their books follow the AAMC outline.
I totally agree with you that the lack of clearly defined resources sucks. I'm running into the same problem with most of the sections. How much detail do they want us to know?? So I've resolved that I'm just going to have to check multiple sources and act as if they expect us to know all the things. :(

I'm still on the fence about taking the April (or May) exam. I'm taking the MCAT tomorrow, but I know that it's absolutely going to be a disaster so I'll likely end up voiding or having a terrible score. So having to take the new version is just an inevitability at this point. How much of a gamble do y'all think it would be to take the MCAT 2015 and apply for the 2016 cycle when AMCAS open up this summer? Would it create a disadvantage to have a score from the new exam compared to all the other applicants who have scores from the current version? Or maybe there would be some "leniency" given towards the guinea pigs who are taking the first administration of the new version?

I am thinking about enrolling in TPR course, but am concerned that it (or any of the other prep services) won't necessarily be that big of a help considering no one knows exactly what to expect from the new MCAT yet. Could someone give me her/his two cents on all of this? Kind of freaking out here :(
i've spoken to some people and...apparently TPR doesn't really know whats up with the new test lol. i mean they put in some passages but its not nearly enough for practice. don't trust the reps for kaplan or princeton either. they don't know and might even give you wrong info

I have the complete EK book set but am starting to get a little worried I may have wasted my money. The EK CARS section seems good, but I've never used any other old prep books or new ones so it's difficult to judge. At the very least I can say the passages at the end are difficult and the strategies seem direct and informative.

I am getting a little worried about content though since I recently started EK physics which seems a little too easy and definitely lacks in useful attack strategies. It feels like reading a high school version of a basic physics textbook which is definitely concerning.

Is anyone else here thinking of just doing the SN2ed schedule using TBR + EK 1001 Qs, etc.? I am thinking of doing this and just supplementing with EK BIO or possibly KTP Bio? Also what exactly is the KTP 528 book?

Would I be too late taking this April exam as a full-time student this semester? I'm a retaker from old version, in which my science skills were pretty strong but struggled a lot in verbal.

For other retakers, are you going to just rely on your knowledge from the old version and focus on tackling newer topics?

Also, the scores for this exam are released on June 16; would that significantly delay application for the upcoming cycle?

So is the general consensus that at this point, none of the prep courses or materials are really going to fully prepare us for the April exam? I want to take a prep course, but it would really suck to drop 1 or 2K on a course only to find out that the company had no idea what to expect either and totally bomb the new MCAT.

So is the general consensus that at this point, none of the prep courses or materials are really going to fully prepare us for the April exam? I want to take a prep course, but it would really suck to drop 1 or 2K on a course only to find out that the company had no idea what to expect either and totally bomb the new MCAT.
does anyone know if kapan or TPR even updated any new material in their courses for the new mcat? i keep hearing TPR barely added anything, and kaplan doesn't even have all their sources available yet.

That's the scary thing about this whole situation. I'm hoping schools will be more understanding of those who take it in April or May since we'll be going into it blindly. But I'm considering just waiting until the fall or something to take it so that I get a better idea from those who will have taken it....but then I'd have to put off applying until next summer.

This is so stressful!!

Hi guys, I will be joining you for the MCAT 2015. :confused: I'm going to start out using the EK study package, and possibly supplement certain subjects with an additional book from different companies. I'm mostly concerned about biochem and psych/socio.

I know it's already been said before, but I feel like AAMC is being slightly irresponsible by only releasing one practice exam (that cannot even be scored!!!!). I can't afford another gap year though, so here I am...

@mattns Your plan seems solid. I just started studying for the MCAT 2015. I plan on using the material you listed. I began the Khan Academy videos. There is a lot of them, so it can be very lengthy. But I do plan on using them to supplement my studying, especially since there isn't much study material out and AAMC seem to endorse them.

That's the scary thing about this whole situation. I'm hoping schools will be more understanding of those who take it in April or May since we'll be going into it blindly. But I'm considering just waiting until the fall or something to take it so that I get a better idea from those who will have taken it....but then I'd have to put off applying until next summer.

This is so stressful!!
I'm in the same exact boat. I feel like waiting might not add as much benefit as you think though because I have a feeling that in the end most of the material won't really be released until the end of this year or beginning of next year.

So I think I've narrowed down some of my biggest concerns, which I think are the same for a lot of us:
1) Uncertainty of whether tried-and-true study schedules (SN2ed using TBR and EK1001) are still applicable and in general how well you can do using old prep-materials.
2) Where to get the best/most representative practice problems since the 120 released by AAMC are certainly not enough.
3) Lack of official FL tests and similarly which company will have the best/most representative tests.
4) Which prep book offer the best content coverage and depth for the new exam.

I'm going to start out with the new EK books following a schedule similar to the SN2ed supplementing with old EK1001 questions, TPRH Verbal passages (skipping any science-based passage and only looking at humanities based passages) and using old TBR for content I feel needs more depth.

Is there anyone who has done the AAMC problems and any of the new or old prep books problems and can compare them based on format/style and difficulty?