The Official April MCAT 2015 Takers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emulsifier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've seen some old threads (from 2012, or early 2014) on the MCAT2015.

I am wondering if we can bring resources together here, discussions for those who are planning on taking the new one in or after April.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new prep material for 2015, and the chance to compare the different companies? I scoured the internet, obviously not much at the moment. But I know someone out there has started, just need to get this info out!

Edit:
Resources mentioned in this thread or elsewhere:

• Free mini-test: AAMC MCAT 2015 12 sample questions and answer (3 x 4 sections)
  • Next Step guide here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/
  • TPR 2015 books: They seem to be the same as their previous books. Their bio book has a chapter on biochem.
  • Kaplan 2015 books: removed content that is not tested. Physics section is 400 pages (may be too much for the new MCAT). Very little practice. Whole book on biochem.
  • EK 9th edition books: reformatted the whole book. SDNer reviewer has said that even parts with same illustrations have whole new contents. Got rid of topics that won't be tested. May be too condensed though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I disagree with the above post.

I also thought that it wouldn't be worth it to retake the sample test for the same reason, but after taking the real thing I strongly disagree. I wish that about 5-7 days before the actual test I had retaken the sample test to get more familiar with the timing and length of the MCAT. Only taking 1 MCAT practice test about a month before my actual test left me completed F'ed in the A when it came to pacing myself on the real thing.

Did anyone use the Kaplan Books/take the Kaplan course? How much do you think that the Kaplan 2015 books helped? Anything you would change in your study habits?

I used the Kaplan books and I thought they did a good job of content review. It will be up to you to use that content review and apply it, though. I recommend using all of the AAMC released materials and Khan.

Reactions: 1 user

I also thought that it wouldn't be worth it to retake the sample test for the same reason, but after taking the real thing I strongly disagree. I wish that about 5-7 days before the actual test I had retaken the sample test to get more familiar with the timing and length of the MCAT. Only taking 1 MCAT practice test about a month before my actual test left me completed F'ed in the A when it came to pacing myself on the real thing.

This is why it sucked only to have 1 practice FL. There's value to retaking the practice exam for sure, but if you have a familiarity with the passages or remember any of the questions, this will not give you an accurate assessment of your pacing.

Members don't see this ad :)

You would retake to get used to the timing. But, when you've read something before, you tend to read it again faster and absorb more info. I noticed this when I was taking the question packs. I would skim a passage, and already know what content it was testing on. Hence I was primed from the start.

However, in my previous post, I was focusing more on 'retaking the test is a bad thing' because you already know the content/questions, thus unable to judge how well you actually know the content. Apparently NS diag was very similar to AAMC's FL so I'm glad I didn't take it. The previous exposure to the same content/questions would have rendered the AAMC FL useless for me had I taken the NS diag. (I may be wrong about the NS diag being very similar to AAMC FL though..was it GS?)

Yes, you will read faster and you won't get an accurate score the second time taking it, but it's better than not taking any kind of timed AAMC test except a month before the actual test.

It sounds a lot like you're limiting yourself in terms of materials. I don't think any materials are useless, it's just a matter or prioritizing which ones are the most beneficial. By writing different sources off as "useless" you're going to really limit the amount of prep you have before the actual exam. If you don't want to retake the AAMC full length that's definitely up to you, but people that have already taken the April AAMC seem to think it was or would have been beneficial to do so.

Yes, you will read faster and you won't get an accurate score the second time taking it, but it's better than not taking any kind of timed AAMC test except a month before the actual test.

It sounds a lot like you're limiting yourself in terms of materials. I don't think any materials are useless, it's just a matter or prioritizing which ones are the most beneficial. By writing different sources off as "useless" you're going to really limit the amount of prep you have before the actual exam. If you don't want to retake the AAMC full length that's definitely up to you, but people that have already taken the April AAMC seem to think it was or would have been beneficial to do so.
I think most people would want to take AAMC FL fresh rather than be somewhat familiar with it because of the NS Diag.

True, I have to prioritize given that I have about 3-4 weeks left of prep. But working FT changes the dynamics of studying since my weekends are my prime time to really pick out what's the best material to use.

Did you take Kap FLs and if so, were they helpful? So far, I find them to be not representative of the AAMC style albeit they are good for testing content review.

I also prepped while working full time + overtime, so similar dynamic. I would strongly recommend taking the AAMC materials sooner rather than later.

I did use Kaplan and if I think the prep tests would be good for content review maybe 3 months away from the test, but not 3-4 weeks before when you're also working full time. At this point, I think the best thing to do would be to make sure you fully understand all of the AAMC materials and review your notes for content review/make and use flashcards.

How much harder was the biochem than the bio 1 and bio 2 books from EK? I have the new TPR book for all of the material, would that help?
Much much more detailed. Especially on enzyme kinetics, amino acid side chain structure/function as well as structures of metabolic intermediates and enzymes involved in metabolic pathways (pentose phosphate pathway, glycolysis, fatty acid beta oxidation and biosythesis, citric acid cycle, electron transport chain).
TPR doesn't even come close, you will need a textbook such as lehninger or stryer to study biochem in such detail.

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone use the Kaplan Books/take the Kaplan course? How much do you think that the Kaplan 2015 books helped? Anything you would change in your study habits?
Kaplan 528 book for studying strategy. Worth every penny if you ask me. I used TPR for content review but also had the ebooks of the Kaplan set. Wasn't an efficient enough use of time for me to read through all of it.

I browsed the Kaplan 528 book today. I liked it. I will now get it based on your enthusiasm for it!

An aside, is your last name Hart or is your name based on a certain TV show in particular (the main character's name is Dr. Hart! lol)

I also prepped while working full time + overtime, so similar dynamic. I would strongly recommend taking the AAMC materials sooner rather than later.

I did use Kaplan and if I think the prep tests would be good for content review maybe 3 months away from the test, but not 3-4 weeks before when you're also working full time. At this point, I think the best thing to do would be to make sure you fully understand all of the AAMC materials and review your notes for content review/make and use flashcards.
Thanks for providing your perspective. Yes, my plan is to utilize AAMC full time now while touching upon weak areas and review content.

Can someone please explain the new CARS layout? Is it passage on one page and each following question on its own separate page too? Also will the highlighting stay when switching between pages?

Much much more detailed. Especially on enzyme kinetics, amino acid side chain structure/function as well as structures of metabolic intermediates and enzymes involved in metabolic pathways (pentose phosphate pathway, glycolysis, fatty acid beta oxidation and biosythesis, citric acid cycle, electron transport chain).
TPR doesn't even come close, you will need a textbook such as lehninger or stryer to study biochem in such detail.
would you say that the AAMC official guide to the MCAT was misleading in its outline? or do you think the guideline gave fair warning? I see "Enzymes" but not all the metabolic pathways you mention. Maybe I did not look hard enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in hearing the reasons why the April test takers became April test takers. Seems very strange to rush into this headlong. Were you just itching to get it over with as fast as possible? Did you need (not really) to apply this cycle and were trying to get your scores in for early application to give yourself the best shot? Did you just not give a damn and just wanted to wing it and see how it would go for the hell of it (strange attitude for one serious about the process)? I'd love to hear your reasons.

I wanted to apply this cycle, internship wouldn't allow me to take it over the summer. Couldn't take it in May because that was finals week for school so that would be pretty rough. April was the only choice I had left.

That's the sort of thing I figured. Just not sure why it needs to be rushed, though. While I appreciate and am partially relying on those that have took and will be taking it, this is never something I would have chosen to do myself. Though....maybe everyone is honestly so clueless that those who flipped through the few prep materials and took a bunch of inaccurate FL's will actually have superior scores. June 16 will be an interesting day.

I'm interested in hearing the reasons why the April test takers became April test takers. Seems very strange to rush into this headlong. Were you just itching to get it over with as fast as possible? Did you need (not really) to apply this cycle and were trying to get your scores in for early application to give yourself the best shot? Did you just not give a damn and just wanted to wing it and see how it would go for the hell of it (strange attitude for one serious about the process)? I'd love to hear your reasons.

Yeah...I think it's pretty presumptuous to assume that because we took it in April, we were rushing into this and not fully thinking things through (which is what your post implies).

I had studied for the old MCAT and planned to take it in January, but I am much stronger in bio/biochem/psych and weaker in gen chem and physics. The new test plus an extra 3 months to study made the most sense to me, especially because if I needed to retake after January I would be studying for this new test anyway. I am applying this cycle and wanted my application submitted early. Taking the test in May gives you no leg-up on April MCAT test takers, as you have the same amount of released material to work with. This was a very well thought-out decision on my part, and I do not regret testing in April, nor do I think it's wise to delay taking the MCAT just because you don't want to be first. Actually, I think delaying for solely that reason is pretty foolish and if you're that afraid of a test, you probably shouldn't be going into such a rigorous career.

Sorry if that's harsh, but I'm really tired of non-April tester posting on this thread that we are the unfortunate guinea pigs, we're "taking one for the team", and that people feel so sorry for us. Lol what? It's a standardized test.

Reactions: 7 users
would you say that the AAMC official guide to the MCAT was misleading in its outline? or do you think the guideline gave fair warning? I see "Enzymes" but not all the metabolic pathways you mention. Maybe I did not look hard enough.
I don't think that in term of content the official guide is misleading as for example the metabolic pathways are covered under the content category 1D: Principles of bioenergetics and fuel molecule metabolism.

What surprised me about the passages and questions was their dept and detail. As a biochem major, I hardly think only one semester of biochemistry will prepare you for this beast. I am sure I didn't cover the chemical structures of all the metabolic intermediates (things like ribulose 5-phosphate, oxaloacetate or NADPH) in my first semester.

went to sign up for the May test 3 days after registration opened. All seats taken. Said wtf I'll take it in April. I'll be busy writing personal statement and secondaries from late May-June anyway. And of course the $150 amazon gift card is a plus ^^

Yeah...I think it's pretty presumptuous to assume that because we took it in April, we were rushing into this and not fully thinking things through (which is what your post implies).

I had studied for the old MCAT and planned to take it in January, but I am much stronger in bio/biochem/psych and weaker in gen chem and physics. The new test plus an extra 3 months to study made the most sense to me, especially because if I needed to retake after January I would be studying for this new test anyway. I am applying this cycle and wanted my application submitted early. Taking the test in May gives you no leg-up on April MCAT test takers, as you have the same amount of released material to work with. This was a very well thought-out decision on my part, and I do not regret testing in April, nor do I think it's wise to delay taking the MCAT just because you don't want to be first. Actually, I think delaying for solely that reason is pretty foolish and if you're that afraid of a test, you probably shouldn't be going into such a rigorous career.

Sorry if that's harsh, but I'm really tired of non-April tester posting on this thread that we are the unfortunate guinea pigs, we're "taking one for the team", and that people feel so sorry for us. Lol what? It's a standardized test.

Taking the old MCAT would have theoretically been a superior decision for anyone who had that option. If you only had a month to study for it, though, it wasn't really an option (unless you felt rock solid by a the cancellation deadline); perhaps that was your situation, I'm not sure. As for those arguing they need to take it in order to apply this cycle, this was what I was referring to as "rushing." You can take time if you need to in order to wait for better preparatory materials/more information to come out for this test. If a gap year results, so be it. This is all to say that the time sacrifice is worth the superior score. However, if you are not dead-set on MD schools, and knew you could get a DO-level score on the test, then sure - take it. Personally, I'd prefer an MD school, and I could guarantee no one right now that I would do better than 80th percentile on this test. I don't know precisely what is desired, particularly because their outline contains a significant amount of vagueness, which means it is possible that questions can range from broad simplicity to the tiniest minutia. You see, the issue is that the differences between students here is not how well they focused their studies to the required content knowledge/testing strategies. There is no data suggesting that those who did a ton of prep company FL practice will do any better than someone who only did the AAMC official. In essence, one who practices more may have spent a significant amount of time practicing the wrong things, while another who practiced less but happened to focus on the right things (through no greater knowledge of the test because that knowledge is not currently available) will be at an advantage. The difference is no longer how well you studied the exam itself, and what it is known to want out of you. The difference is simply in the content study decisions, as well as academic background. Does this lend itself to providing high scores to those that sit down and focus on preparing for the test in a strategic way, zoning in on what is known to be high yield? It can't any longer, because no strategy is currently supported with score data.

I agree, May is not a superior decision. I'm sorry if I implied that, although I did think it was relatively obvious to those that know when grades will be released (i.e. test takers such as yourself, which was the audience I was addressing). As far as "being first," that is not the issue in and of itself. You know the issue is all of the uncertainty that comes with being first. It's not an ideal situation for giving yourself the best theoretical chance of scoring in the highest brackets of the competition.

I don't feel sorry for anyone. You're all adults that made a decision; I'm assuming you had reasons that made sense to you, which is why I asked what those were. The test is standardized, but it is no longer providing an advantage to those who have a plan of study which is perfectly focused on what is known to be tested. No one knows exactly what is tested anymore; there isn't decades of data to back up claims of knowing. This is the difference that makes me unwilling to take it so soon.

All that said: if this sort of situation works for you, and you know you can thrive in it, then of course you made the correct decision. It's possible individuals such as myself are overthinking things, and studying properly is merely a matter of making sure you know every bit of that possible minutia in a given subtopic of a given subject. Maybe scoring 80th percentile is just as doable (maybe moreso!) than before. I'm just saying I don't know right now. And yes, it frightens me somewhat. Having data will allow me to know which courses of action (on average) are the best for preparation, which will make for studying with a higher yield. This is my minimum requirement before taking on the exam.

On a side note, if I can ask another question: how are you able to put in an adequate amount of time for study during your semester? What were your specific circumstances and how did you work around them? Again, just interested. No offense meant.

Sorry, your last post is so long and obnoxious I didn't even read the entire thing. I would really recommend taking a course in logical reasoning though, as every point you've made (that I read) is dependent on an assumption that doesn't hold--> all of your conclusions crumble.

How did I find time to study? I'm a grown @ss woman that's working full-time/already graduated. I still think you're a fool for waiting until June. You're coming on here and posting that you're so much wiser for testing in June and guess what? You'll have the exact same prep material as us. I'm not sure if you understand what standardized means, but just because you'll have a tad more insight because we already took the test, so will everyone else taking the same MCAT as you. There is literally no benefit to pushing your test back, as any benefit you would have gained is no longer beneficial since everyone you're compared to has the same new information. Your percentile won't change because you've pushed the test back.

Stop trying to act like you have more insight into others' situations, as it sounds like you don't even have insight into your own.

You're scoffing at DO? That's a lot of talk for someone who hasn't even taken the MCAT yet.

PS I would be careful about demeaning DO's for two reasons. One, it is statistically more difficult to get into DO schools than MDs and two, you have not even taken the MCAT and you aren't even applying for another year, and I'm not sure your personality will interview well for either program :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yikes...that was a bit harsher than I wanted (though not any harsher than deserved, to be honest).

I'm not sure if you understand how offensive your comments are or how ignorant and pretentious they read, but if you are asking for advice from April testers then you may want to take a different approach, as most of what you are asking isn't any of your business in the first place.

Last edited:
Stop trying to act like you have more insight into others' situations, as it sounds like you don't even have insight into your own.

You're scoffing at DO? That's a lot of talk for someone who hasn't even taken the MCAT yet.

PS I would be careful about demeaning DO's for two reasons. One, it is statistically more difficult to get into DO schools than MDs and two, you have not even taken the MCAT and you aren't even applying for another year, and I'm not sure your personality will interview well for either program :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt to prove this.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt to prove this.

There are fewer DO schools/seats available but not a proportional decrease in number of applicants. That has nothing to do with the gpa and MCAT statistics, just number of apps per seat. PS giving the benefit of the doubt but requesting proof is contradictory. You can look up numbers yourself, my info comes from an article that may be outdated, but my point was that it's a jerk move to knock DO programs and it's pretty unwarranted. Also, I say this as someone who also intends to apply MD, I just don't have much respect for snobs that scoff at other medical schools.

There are fewer DO schools/seats available but not a proportional decrease in number of applicants. That has nothing to do with the gpa and MCAT statistics, just number of apps per seat. PS giving the benefit of the doubt but requesting proof is contradictory. You can look up numbers yourself, my info comes from an article that may be outdated, but my point was that it's a jerk move to knock DO programs and it's pretty unwarranted. Also, I say this as someone who also intends to apply MD, I just don't have much respect for snobs that scoff at other medical schools.

AAMC 2014 https://www.aamc.org/download/321470/data/factstable7.pdf
Total Matriculants (20,343) / Total Applicants (49,474) = 41% of applicants matriculate

AACOMAS 2014 http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2014_Mat.pdf?sfvrsn=12
Total Matriculants (6,465) / Total Applicants (17,944) = 36% of applicants matriculate

Dunno how strong a statement can be made from this data. 5% difference is not much. And I'm sure there are a significant amount of MD-applicants that also apply DO as "backup" but I doubt there are many DO applicants that apply MD as a backup. This could skew the data a little. A doctor is a doctor - we're all working toward the same goal. No sense in having a "you-know-what" measuring contest.

There are ~141 MD schools and only ~30 DO schools. That tends to skew the data quite a bit. If you are talking about the "difficulty" of getting into med school, then important quantitative factors (GPA, MCAT) must be included. No hate to DO's either, I'm actually in the dual-admit program for DO at my uni.

New and more appropriate topic: what are you guys doing to keep your mind off the wait for our scores?!
I've got Physics II, Immunology, and Spanish Literature finals this week >.< Last thing I wanna do is study for more exams after that behemoth of an MCAT. Game of Thrones and Netflix to waste time. Just put a deposit on a new pup here's a pic: soo cayute :love:
IMG_1628.JPG

Ahhh that's awesome! What kind of puppy?

I am a huge animal lover and foster for a dog rescue. I just got a new foster dog today <3

golden doodle! we wanted to get a buddy for our 1 year old chocolate lab rescue :)

Hey guys for those of you that studied using Khan academy for Biochemistry, was it good enough for the MCAT? If not what resources do you think would be good?

Sorry, your last post is so long and obnoxious I didn't even read the entire thing. I would really recommend taking a course in logical reasoning though, as every point you've made (that I read) is dependent on an assumption that doesn't hold--> all of your conclusions crumble.

How did I find time to study? I'm a grown @ss woman that's working full-time/already graduated. I still think you're a fool for waiting until June. You're coming on here and posting that you're so much wiser for testing in June and guess what? You'll have the exact same prep material as us. I'm not sure if you understand what standardized means, but just because you'll have a tad more insight because we already took the test, so will everyone else taking the same MCAT as you. There is literally no benefit to pushing your test back, as any benefit you would have gained is no longer beneficial since everyone you're compared to has the same new information. Your percentile won't change because you've pushed the test back.

Sorry for expecting you to read that. I wasn't trying to have any sort of tone. I was just telling you my argument, which you've misinterpreted completely. I'm not going to write sentences anymore. I'll instead use bullet points so that you don't have to sift through a wall of text (which I agree can be difficult).
  • Simply asked to get your perspective
  • Had no intentions to demean/act superior to anyone
  • I value your perspective, which is why I asked for it
  • I'm not waiting until June
  • I have no idea if I'm "wiser" than anyone; this is irrelevant
  • I understand your argument, but not every taker of future exams will know exactly what worked for a large group of individuals who scored well
  • I'm aware the test is referred to using the adjective "standardized"
  • Complete misunderstanding on my views on being a DO - sorry if I wasn't clear
  • DO schools have lower MCAT averages - I don't understand how this is offensive
  • I'm really sorry my post was so thoroughly incompetent in its purpose
  • I was trying to continue the open-ended discussion
  • Not make you angry.
  • I'm sorry.
All that said: if this sort of situation works for you, and you know you can thrive in it, then of course you made the correct decision. It's possible individuals such as myself are overthinking things, and studying properly is merely a matter of making sure you know every bit of that possible minutia in a given subtopic of a given subject. Maybe scoring 80th percentile is just as doable (maybe moreso!) than before. I'm just saying I don't know right now. And yes, it frightens me somewhat. Having data will allow me to know which courses of action (on average) are the best for preparation, which will make for studying with a higher yield. This is my minimum requirement before taking on the exam.

I really didn't mean to offend you with the follow-up question.

On a side note, if I can ask another question: how are you able to put in an adequate amount of time for study during your semester? What were your specific circumstances and how did you work around them? Again, just interested. No offense meant.

I'm really sorry I asked, though, if it offended you.

Yikes...that was a bit harsher than I wanted (though not any harsher than deserved, to be honest).

I'm not sure if you understand how offensive your comments are or how ignorant and pretentious they read, but if you are asking for advice from April testers then you may want to take a different approach, as most of what you are asking isn't any of your business in the first place.
Someone had to say it!

I really am sorry if I came off pretentious. You've got to understand, though, that I just wanted to talk to you about these things. I really don't have the ability to modify every one of my messages to sound perfectly pleasing. Actually, I just read that post and thought you were angry -- maybe you weren't at all. I don't know. Things don't get across perfectly on here. In any case, the point was just to talk about why you were taking the test, and how you ended up preparing, because it was an interest of mine. I'm glad you gave your perspective, and I wanted you to evaluate mine/possibly bring in any points I wasn't thinking about. That was my only intention. Again, sorry if I put you in a bad mood. I didn't mean to insult you or anyone else.

@StudyLater no hard feelings. I apologize for my harsh post. If you scroll through the last 10-15 pages of this thread, you'll see that plenty of non-April testers have already posted ridiculous comments about how unfortunate April testers are, so I guess at this point I have a short fuse lol. Our decisions were all thought out and I have a great amount of respect for my fellow April testers, who undoubtedly have helped me through this incredibly stressful time.

If you have any questions specifically pertaining to the MCAT, please don't hesitate to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

@RachRach24 I understand. I should have considered most people probably wouldn't even want to talk about it after finally finishing, let alone with someone so pushy to have a discussion. Anyway, thanks for answering my question and I hope your cycle goes well.

Lol I don't think we mind discussing our decision of when to take, I think what we mind is having someone assert that we've made a poor or hasty decision.

For example, I am in my second gap year so I'm really not trying to miss another cycle lol. I figured that any disadvantage I have by being the first to take this is mitigated by the fact that everyone else I'm testing against is also in the same boat. I'm not in school, so I don't have finals to consider when choosing a date. The most important thing to me was to test as soon as I was ready and no later (why delay my application?), and I felt ready in April. Would more insight have been nice? Of course, but I doubt it would have changed my score.

Also stop apologizing please lol you're making me feel bad

And I felt bad for causing the misunderstanding. But sorry I promise I won't apologize anymore.

Lol I don't think we mind discussing our decision of when to take, I think what we mind is having someone assert that we've made a poor or hasty decision.

For example, I am in my second gap year so I'm really not trying to miss another cycle lol. I figured that any disadvantage I have by being the first to take this is mitigated by the fact that everyone else I'm testing against is also in the same boat. I'm not in school, so I don't have finals to consider when choosing a date. The most important thing to me was to test as soon as I was ready and no later (why delay my application?), and I felt ready in April. Would more insight have been nice? Of course, but I doubt it would have changed my score.

Ah ok. I was thinking you were a regular undergrad in junior year (stupid assumption). And hey if it works for you, I don't have any rebuttal. My rationale for going later was that I have no idea which materials are the best for each subject until I can aggregate the information provided by top scorers and look for common trends. I don't want to use some combination of materials that I don't absolutely know have the capability to thoroughly prepare me. However, the flip side of this argument is that one could get any combination of materials, and any topic in the AAMC outline that those materials haven't covered sufficiently could be supplemented with textbooks/internet etc. Either way, I didn't really have the option to take it in April myself anyway.

This is the cutest reconciliation I've witnessed on SDN. Sending each other apology posts back to back :laugh:

Reactions: 5 users
I just had an odd idea. You know how some questions were totally "wtf"?
Maybe some of them were unscored field-test questions. There's always a couple every mcat.

I just had an odd idea. You know how some questions were totally "wtf"?
Maybe some of them were unscored field-test questions. There's always a couple every mcat.

Maybe. Or maybe they are actually things we were expected to know but just didn't due to the new format. Regardless, it's a thought :)

MCAT Mastery App is amazing in my opinion. It's 20$ well spent, and gives you a pretty great idea of what you need to brush up on. I test on Thursday, and am really trying to stay cool. This is so strange since it is all so new.
Let me know how it goes! I work for the app :)

Trust me, I would have LOOOOOVED more time to study for this monster test. But, looking forward, April just seemed like the best time for me to take it (even though my pre-med advisor advised against it...he wanted me to wait until August just for more time to study, but my gut told me otherwise). I'm a non-trad student, have been out of undergrad since 2013, and definitely wanted to apply this cycle. As early as possible this cycle - i.e., I wanted to get my scores back as early as I could. I didn't take a very heavy course load this semester - only organic chem 2 and genetics and audited a biochem class - so I really focused the majority of my time on MCAT prep. I know May scores are supposed to come out on the same date as the April scores (last I checked) BUT April worked better for me because I'm going to be nose-deep in a research program starting the first week of May (50+ hours a week) + prepping for a wedding, so I just wanted the MCAT to be out of the way.

That's not to say I feel like I rushed it. Not at all. I feel like I had plenty of time to prepare and not "cram". I did study every day, no break, for a minimum of about 10 hours a day, but that's mostly due to my own neuroticism. Did I feel completely ready? No, does anyone? (Other than ready for it to be OVER), but I felt prepared and confident as I could.

The idea of being a "guinea pig" for the dreaded new MCAT was a little exciting, but definitely not for everyone! Nobody knows yours study habits, test-taking skills, or determination better than you do.Bottom line - YOU take it when YOU'RE ready! And only YOU can determine that!

multiple attempts to publicly berate someone/establish superior knowledge.
It's my attempt to counteract a common misconception. You took it the wrong way and i did nothing wrong :angelic:. While I could potentially take offense, I will attempt to correct all common misconceptions of psychiatric diseases whether they show up on an MCAT forum or wherever. If anyone doesn't like it, feel free to ignore it. I hardly believe my side of a debate is actually that offensive.
I think it's pretty presumptuous to assume that because we took it in April, we were rushing into this and not fully thinking things through (which is what your post implies).
Your responses just get more and more delightful. I think I will follow you :D

Last edited by a moderator: