The Official April MCAT 2015 Takers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emulsifier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've seen some old threads (from 2012, or early 2014) on the MCAT2015.

I am wondering if we can bring resources together here, discussions for those who are planning on taking the new one in or after April.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new prep material for 2015, and the chance to compare the different companies? I scoured the internet, obviously not much at the moment. But I know someone out there has started, just need to get this info out!

Edit:
Resources mentioned in this thread or elsewhere:

• Free mini-test: AAMC MCAT 2015 12 sample questions and answer (3 x 4 sections)
  • Next Step guide here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/
  • TPR 2015 books: They seem to be the same as their previous books. Their bio book has a chapter on biochem.
  • Kaplan 2015 books: removed content that is not tested. Physics section is 400 pages (may be too much for the new MCAT). Very little practice. Whole book on biochem.
  • EK 9th edition books: reformatted the whole book. SDNer reviewer has said that even parts with same illustrations have whole new contents. Got rid of topics that won't be tested. May be too condensed though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Any idea what percent of total questions correct would equal around 80%+ percentile? I know everything is still up in the air but...

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't that just showing percentiles though? I was asking about the # of questions correct out of 230. I don't think there's data out there with that though.

Right, but based on the scoring scale for the old practice tests, a scaled subscore of 10 requires getting a minimum of 73% right.

Right, but based on the scoring scale for the old practice tests, a scaled subscore of 10 requires getting a minimum of 73% right.

Comparing apples to oranges. Old practice tests had years of data behind them to establish those percentages. 80th percentile for the May date could mean getting 70% correct, but it could also mean getting 50% or 90%. We don't know how people are scoring on this test overall, and we don't know how people in May will score specifically. Percentiles are relative by nature, so you can't compare with the old test. 2015 testers could be scoring better or worse on average (in terms of raw scores) than testers from years past.

Point is, try not to worry about it and do the best you can. We'll all be fine in the end! Medical schools don't know what these numbers mean either, so I think they will be weighed slightly less.

Comparing apples to oranges. Old practice tests had years of data behind them to establish those percentages. 80th percentile for the May date could mean getting 70% correct, but it could also mean getting 50% or 90%. We don't know how people are scoring on this test overall, and we don't know how people in May will score specifically. Percentiles are relative by nature, so you can't compare with the old test. 2015 testers could be scoring better or worse on average (in terms of raw scores) than testers from years past.

Point is, try not to worry about it and do the best you can. We'll all be fine in the end! Medical schools don't know what these numbers mean either, so I think they will be weighed slightly less.

This.

I think the scores on average will probably be a bit lower as people aren't sure what to expect, along with a lack of accurate study materials and official tests.

I also think that the test is more forgiving to those who have a less intense science background but good reasoning/critical thinking skills.

tldr who knows what's gonna happen

Do we need to memorize constants like Planck, etc?
I memorized a few rounded constants. One thing to keep in mind is that exponents are probably the most important part of constants, if you choose to memorize them. Also, don't stress about memorizing a sheet of formulas or anything unless you're dying to.

Reactions: 1 user
Is my general policy in life not to help others...

Why in the blue f*ck are you applying to medical school then?!

I come from a severely disadvantaged background...like teenaged-homeless-orphan disadvantaged...and your comment disgusts me. I was only able to go to and graduate college because others offered me help. Obviously, most people on this forum had advantages that I did not have, but I will still gladly help them because I know one day I will need to lean on others for help again.

There is no such thing as level playing field no matter how much you try to create one, so stop being a selfish git and learn how to co-exist with other human beings.

And I hope to sweet baby Jesus in the sky that none of your future patients ever hears about your general policy in life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone (esp. the April MCAT test takers) know how the AAMC sample test/FL compare to the real MCAT2015? Mostly in terms of difficulties and focus. I heard that the new mcat questions will mostly if not all somewhat medically related, but on the sample test, there were still questions that are purely science (e.g. acid/base chemistry, amino acid characteristics etc).

Does anyone (esp. the April MCAT test takers) know how the AAMC sample test/FL compare to the real MCAT2015? Mostly in terms of difficulties and focus. I heard that the new mcat questions will mostly if not all somewhat medically related, but on the sample test, there were still questions that are purely science (e.g. acid/base chemistry, amino acid characteristics etc).

As the previous poster said, highly representative. Some have said the actual exam was harder, but that could just be due to nerves.

You better know the amino acids cold for the exam.

Check out the commentary on the new exam in my signature.

Members don't see this ad :)

How does Acid/base chemistry and amino acids NOT relate to medicine? If you don't think they are relevant concepts you need to learn it more in depth.

long time lurker; first time poster.

I am an April examinee. Very pleased with my preliminary percentiles. IMO whether something is general, hinting, or specific information about what was on the test - this is still information that April examinees did not have access to before testing.

I could be wrong, but since we don't get our ACTUAL percentiles until after the May examinees receive their preliminaries, I believe it is a real possibility that the data gathered from the May administration will affect our actual final percentile. Why else would AAMC provide only a broad range, and include the stipulation that your actual percentile may fall above or below this? If anyone can think of a good reason, please share.

Nevertheless, while I want everyone to score well and knock it out, I also don't want to take the chance that by being helpful and indicating what is "important" to focus on based on my own test day experience, that I am potentially giving someone else an advantage that will negatively affect my own standing. (85th percentile vs 95th percentile is still a huge difference).

Sorry to those who haven't taken the test yet, and I don't mean to sound rude, but as no one has much assurance about anything right now, I wouldn't want to take that chance myself, and others who scored well in April might not want to either.

sublime example of "douchebaggness":

Does the AAMC practice test they released give you a score out of 528, or does it just tell you the percentage of questions you got correct?

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the best spot to post this, but for those of you who have taken the new MCAT already and received relatively good scores, can you tell me what prep books you used? Thanks!

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the best spot to post this, but for those of you who have taken the new MCAT already and received relatively good scores, can you tell me what prep books you used? Thanks!

No one's received their scores yet. Check out the compilation of commentary on the new exam in my signature.

So if any of you have taken the Princeton Review Practice tests, was the real MCAT harder or easier or completely different material/length/etc?

Is it still considered strategically viable to skip and come back to questions given the format (one question per page, tons of flipping back and forth could be detrimental time-wise)? I know some have said skipping passages may not be a good idea anymore because of that issue.

Is it still considered strategically viable to skip and come back to questions given the format (one question per page, tons of flipping back and forth could be detrimental time-wise)? I know some have said skipping passages may not be a good idea anymore because of that issue.

The only time I do any skipping around is when I want to get the discretes out of the way, since those don't involve reading a passage. Otherwise, not the best strategy considering the new format IMHO.

I used the Review screen to go to the first problem of the next passage. It's quicker than flipping through each question but still not as efficient as the old MCAT format.

I browsed through the last 5 pages and didn't see anything on it so forgive me if I missed it, but is anyone mentioning their practice scores on various FLs and posting their preliminary percentiles as well?

I'm interested to see how scoring on practice exams for various companies corresponds to the real deal, thanks

I browsed through the last 5 pages and didn't see anything on it so forgive me if I missed it, but is anyone mentioning their practice scores on various FLs and posting their preliminary percentiles as well?

I'm interested to see how scoring on practice exams for various companies corresponds to the real deal, thanks
Hi dick face dan, some people in the April thread did share their sample test scores with the percentiles from the april exam back when scores were released.. im still interested to know more scores tho

gah. iwasted 300 to register for a new test and now that i want to do masters i have to reschedule and don't know when. I've wasted so much money on the mcat. over all like 5k
and I'm still below 50 percentile

How on earth did you spend 5k on the MCAT?!

And how does a master's force you to reschedule? You can still take it in like August, which is before the start of most programs (at least in my area of the country).

Did anyone prepare with the new (9th edition) EK 30 minute exams? if so how'd you do on them and compared to the real thing?

I did. For the most part EK's passages are good enough for studying purpose. Ofc you still need to get the "real" things from the AAMC!

Hey all! I'm taking the MCAT in August. I needed some opinions on what you guys thought of the Khan passages. I've already looked through the compilation of commentary and most of the responses on this thread. I've found that most people have either stated that the Khan Passages are okay practice or somewhat helpful. I've also read that they're not representative of the real deal. I've doing worse on those passages than TBR passages and I'm worried. Are the Khan Passages significantly different than the real deal? Thanks.

Hey all! I'm taking the MCAT in August. I needed some opinions on what you guys thought of the Khan passages. I've already looked through the compilation of commentary and most of the responses on this thread. I've found that most people have either stated that the Khan Passages are okay practice or somewhat helpful. I've also read that they're not representative of the real deal. I've doing worse on those passages than TBR passages and I'm worried. Are the Khan Passages significantly different than the real deal? Thanks.
you've kind of answered your own question there...
Doing practice problems designed to be at least somewhat similar to the real test is at least somewhat useful practice, but don't bank on the questions being exactly the same..

@NaomiM Of course the questions won't be the exact same. But are they harder or easier than the real test since you have been exposed to the actual exam? Thanks again.

How on earth did you spend 5k on the MCAT?!

And how does a master's force you to reschedule? You can still take it in like August, which is before the start of most programs (at least in my area of the country).

2k(classes)+1k(private tutor) +1k(rescheduling the old mcat three times + this new test)+ books

should i wage to take the mcat for the third time after a semester of gradate work?

Stop throwing money at classes/tutors/rescheduling and sit your butt down and study.

I don't mean that to be offensive, but I've been a private tutor for 5 years and I've found that a lot of students throw money at resources hoping that because they paid a fine penny, those resources will somehow do the work for them. You can sit through a class and attend 100 different private tutoring sessions, but at the end of the day you have to isolate yourself and really study, and no one can do that for you.

If you aren't working full time, I would stop rescheduling the test (as having the option to reschedule can also work as an excuse to not study), buckle down and study solo for the next month. Study hard. If you have questions about material, ask here or PM me (on anything except verbal haha), but stop wasting time studying in classes and with tutors and put the hard work in yourself. It'll pay off.

If you just don't have the time because you're working full time or something else, totally understandable. Don't take the test if you aren't ready. That said, you should have a damn good reason for not having the time instead of "I have nothing going on, I just don't feel prepared" (get prepared).

Reactions: 3 users
i knw. for the april test i didn't buy on anything except for the prienceton review set. i studied straight for a month and did everything i could only to end up with these scores

i reshceduled for June but no way am i going to be ready. can't risk taking it a third time and getting a bad score. my grades are not grewt so applying for masters. but whenever i take the mcat, i think. how the heck am i going to get above 50. i just never can

Last edited:
@mcatjelly Yessss thank you! I'm so glad someone else said this first lol.

@Pediateix One month is nothing for this exam. There are lots of people on here that will say the didn't study very long, but the truth is that the vast majority of people study for this test for months, some even a year, and only hope to come out around 75th percentile. That's what you're competing with. I studied for 4-5 months (after tutoring o-chem and exercise physiology for 3 years) and while my science scores were top notch, I still felt like I didn't have time to study verbal, and my score demonstrated that.

This is a very learnable test. I refuse to believe that you have to have some superior intelligence to do well on the MCAT and go to medical school; it's just not true. All you have to do is put the work in. Spend the time reviewing content and taking practice tests, specifically all of the AAMC ones + Khan, and you'll see improvement.

Reactions: 3 users
And also why get a master's when you don't plan to use it in your career?! If you want to go to medical school, then take the test in June or July and apply. If you aren't DO-averse, submitting a July MCAT will still be very competitive and won't even be that late for MD (assuming you have everything submitted on AMCAS already and use a throwaway school to get verified early).

And also why get a master's when you don't plan to use it in your career?! If you want to go to medical school, then take the test in June or July and apply. If you aren't DO-averse, submitting a July MCAT will still be very competitive and won't even be that late for MD (assuming you have everything submitted on AMCAS already and use a throwaway school to get verified early).

I think they mean an SMP for grade improvement, and IIRC they are shooting for DO.