The Official April MCAT 2015 Takers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emulsifier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've seen some old threads (from 2012, or early 2014) on the MCAT2015.

I am wondering if we can bring resources together here, discussions for those who are planning on taking the new one in or after April.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new prep material for 2015, and the chance to compare the different companies? I scoured the internet, obviously not much at the moment. But I know someone out there has started, just need to get this info out!

Edit:
Resources mentioned in this thread or elsewhere:

• Free mini-test: AAMC MCAT 2015 12 sample questions and answer (3 x 4 sections)
  • Next Step guide here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/
  • TPR 2015 books: They seem to be the same as their previous books. Their bio book has a chapter on biochem.
  • Kaplan 2015 books: removed content that is not tested. Physics section is 400 pages (may be too much for the new MCAT). Very little practice. Whole book on biochem.
  • EK 9th edition books: reformatted the whole book. SDNer reviewer has said that even parts with same illustrations have whole new contents. Got rid of topics that won't be tested. May be too condensed though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's been said a lot on here, but this year is the year to apply. Just go for it. You have a decent score and solid GPAs. I don't know anything about your EC's, but from a numbers standpoint, you really don't have much to lose.
I should follow up by saying, none of us have much to lose applying this cycle. We are lucky in that many adcoms don't know what's competitive and what's not (in terms of MCAT 2015 scores). Toss your name in the hat and fingers crossed.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't think that looks weird against a 3.5 though? Like I have no idea what tier that even puts me in! Whatever. I'm still going low tier, I guess, with my three reaches/dream schools!
But you never know which schools will give the MCAT a slight bump over the GPA. Yeah, top schools are definitely still reaches, but there will be places who will look highly on you for accomplishing this feat on the first administration of the new MCAT...I would go ahead and throw some money at a couple of top 20s in your preferred locations and see if you get a bite at an II. My guess is that you'll get a few interviews from these places and then it's up to fit/subjectivity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like I fell below my overall confidence interval... I'm not exactly thrilled about that. I certainly hope there's a bit less weight given to Psych/Soc, but we'll see. I may not complete the secondaries to some of my more reach schools.

Chem/Phys: 85-100% ---> 130 (97%)
CARS: 78-93% --> 127 (81%)
Bio: 85-100% --> 129 (93%)
Psych/Soc: 63-78% --> 126 (66%)

Overall 89 - 99% --> 512 (87%)

I really do not understand how they can be so off in the upper range...

These section percentiles don't make sense. How is a 126 in CARS 70% and 127 is 81%? That's a 10% jump for one point!!

P: 130 (97%)
Cars: 131 (99%)
B: 128 (87%)
Psych: 127 (75%)
Total: 516 (95%)

Accurate, I'm happy. I don't know what my score means, but it sounds good to me.
Prelim: 90-100 % (I posted the breakdown in a previous post)
Nov mcat 9/10/12 (31)

Ok, I'm in disbelief right now.

Chem/Phys: 85-100%------>130
CARS: 85-100%----->130
Bio/Biochem: 85-100%----->131
Psych/Soc: 85-100%--------->132

Overall: 90-100%------->523

Overall percentile is 100th. THAT'S NOT A THING AAMC.

That is a baller score, congrats!!!

These section percentiles don't make sense. How is a 126 in CARS 70% and 127 is 81%? That's a 10% jump for one point!!

And from 124 to 125 its 14%. They really try to cluster the students in the middle.

These section percentiles are the upper limit. So the 70% is the highest percentile you can get for a 126 and an 81% is the highest percentile you can get for a 127

These section percentiles are the upper limit. So the 70% is the highest percentile you can get for a 126 and an 81% is the highest percentile you can get for a 127

Oh wait, really? So if you were to score in 72% percentile for that section, you're bumped up to the 127?

130 + 130 + 129 + 127 = 516
Didn't take it too seriously because I'm in a direct entry program and I only needed 508 to stay in it.

We had a bit if a discussion about it on reddit, and we came to the conclusion that MCAT wise, this year might be mildly less competitive. Think about it. A lot of people with borderline scores (28-31, maybe?) would probably normally retake, but didn't because they didn't want to study for the new one. Their scores will be expiring soon, so they'll want to apply now. Additionally, a lot people with new scores just won't have the time to retake. Overall, that should make this cycle a bit more forgiving if you have a low MCAT score.

Of course, this is all just speculation, but imo, it makes sense!

Members don't see this ad :)

And from 124 to 125 its 14%. They really try to cluster the students in the middle.

If I'm not mistaken, it used to be the same with the old test, i.e. there becomes a progressively larger jump in terms of percentiles as you move away from the mean.

i.e. there becomes a progressively larger jump in terms of percentiles as you move away from the mean.
i.e., a **** ton of people score the same and cluster in the same area right above the mean and then drop off in hoards once you reach the super competitive scores 35+

Statistics don't lie when the sample size is in the thousands, people. Learn this.

Reactions: 3 users

Wow that's a great score sounds like you got about a 41 on the old scale. Congrats!

I would actually even say you got equivalent to a 13,13,14,15 on all four sections. I'm still having trouble grasping this lol, you did amazing!

Last edited:
Immediate credibility tank, bro
Obvi.

Lol jk. Just included that info so you wouldn't try to find the discussion here. Like I said, it's all speculation.

Though does anyone feel that an abnormal number of their premed friends are taking gap years? Wonder if the pool will be smaller...

For the record, I'm not a guy! But I have no objection to being called dude or bro.

The thing that seems silly about this scoring approach is that it seems to penalize people who do solidly well on every section in favor of people who did extremely well on one and less well on the others, because all of the former's section scores are smushed into the middle--close to the latter's three ok scores, whereas that one section counts a ton for the latter testtaker.

Oh wait, really? So if you were to score in 72% percentile for that section, you're bumped up to the 127?
According to my advisor that would be true. AAMC doesn't list the lower bounds of the percentile ranges so yes 72-80 percentile should be a 127

notworthy.gif

Reactions: 11 users
can someone post their week out AAMC practice along with their final scores? just want to get a rough idea of where I may be at

Just got my score ... very disappointed.

Expected range: 80th to 90th percentile

Chem/Phys: 129 (93%)
CARS: 125 (58%)
Bio/Biochem: 128 (75%)
Psych/Soc: 127 (75%)
Total: 509 (80%)

Should I retake? Is the CARS score too low?
Not sure what I should do at this point.

what were your preliminary percentiles?

80% is still about a 30-31, depends on what you think you can do if you retook.

Though does anyone feel that an abnormal number of their premed friends are taking gap years?
I doubt the pool will be smaller because people are taking gap years. What happens to the other people from previous years who took gap years? (Like me?) We apply this year. lol

I doubt the pool will be smaller because people are taking gap years. What happens to the other people from previous years who took gap years? (Like me?) We apply this year. lol

I hope you're right lol. I think I need a gap year, but if the competition is lesser this year than next, I'll never forgive myself for not being prepared on time :(

Obvi.

Lol jk. Just included that info so you wouldn't try to find the discussion here. Like I said, it's all speculation.

Though does anyone feel that an abnormal number of their premed friends are taking gap years? Wonder if the pool will be smaller...

For the record, I'm not a guy! But I have no objection to being called dude or bro.

Yes, it seems like nearly everyone I know is taking a gap year to either retake the MCAT for the new one or taking the new one for the first time. A good share of friends have already gotten into medical school and aren't taking gap years and some are doing 2 year post bacc programs with linkages to programs.

if the competition is lesser this year than next
How the hell would you ever know
Based on anecdotal evidence about people with high stats getting rejected? It is going to get more competitive every year as the low-wage job recovery process slugs on and people realize that medicine is a pretty damn good deal for financial security.

Post a WAMC thread and see if people think you need a gap year. This type of question is one of the best ones that SDN can address b/c the answer is usually pretty clear.

Yes, it seems like nearly everyone I know is taking a gap year to either retake the MCAT for the new one or taking the new one for the first time.
That's interesting...everyone I know is taking gap years b/c they're sick of school and can't wait to get some other life experiences under their belt (including me). That's the best reason for a gap year! (obv not feasible for most people if they still need to work on their app)

That's interesting...everyone I know is taking gap years b/c they're sick of school and can't wait to get some other life experiences under their belt (including me). That's the best reason for a gap year! (obv not feasible for most people if they still need to work on their app)
See, I'm not really a part of the premed culture at my school, but all 5-6 of my close premed friends were originally going to apply this cycle, but are wait ing since they ended up not having time to study. So I guess it varies from place to place.

Quite a few from my school decided against applying this cycle. They dont wanna risk anything with the new mcat scores and are waiting to retake/see how medical schools react to them.

Chem/Phys: 85-100% ---> 130 (97%)
CARS: 85-100% --> 131 (99%)
Bio: 84-99% --> 128 (87%)
Psych/Soc: 58-73% --> 126 (66%)

Overall 89 - 99% --> 515 (93%)

Little disappointed with the Psych/Soc but otherwise incredibly happy given I had gotten two 30s (10-10-10 split) previously!

All the more reason to be jealous of chocoholicsoxfan is that she is a Blackhawkes fan who just won the Stanley Cup yesterday.

So a Stanley Cup and an amazing MCAT result, boy did you make the right wishes to the tooth fairy! Congrats to you though! :)

All the more reason to be jealous of chocoholicsoxfan is that she is a Blackhawkes fan who just won the Stanley Cup yesterday.

So a Stanley Cup and an amazing MCAT result, boy did you make the right wishes to the tooth fairy! Congrats to you though! :)
Thanks! Is it sad that I'm happier about the Stanley Cup? Regardless, I couldn't get much happier than I am now!

Reactions: 2 users
As long as the score I get gets me into my master's program I'm straight. The minimum is a 20 using the old scoring scale. I'm definitely going to have to tackle this beast again because by time I apply to medical school (either the 2017 or 2018 cycle) this score will have expired.
Your wiling to wait three years until you apply. What year are you

I know you can't equate them, but do you think a 98th percentile on the new MCAT is roughly treated the same as a 37 on the old MCAT?

Last edited:
Ughh guys... help :/ not sure what to do. I am applying to MD schools. When I got my preliminary score I was really hoping to score in the upper range and apply really really early. I thought this was going to give me an edge, in addition to the fact that I am an URM. But my final scores have me doubting my plan. Here's my breakdown:

Chem/Phys: 62-77%-----> 126 (67%)
CARS: 45-60%----->125 (58%)
Bio/Biochem: 81-96%----->128 (87%)
Psych/Soc: 73-88%----->127 (75%)

Overall 70-80%-----> 506 (71%)

All of your scores are AMAZING and I am getting discouraged... I did send in my application. Have a 3.75 GPA (3.68 sGPA). I also had taken the old MCAT and gotten a 29 (72%). I could still add a new MCAT score and test in July. Thoughts?

I think you're fine for any DO school and many MD schools, given you have substantial EC's.

I know you can't equate them, but do you think a 98th percentile on the new MCAT is roughly treated the same as a 37 on the old MCAT?

Yes, pretty much. If you got that score and your GPA is a 3.8+, you are technically competitive at any school in the country.

Physical: 81-96% -> 128 (87%)
CARS: 66-81% -> 126 (70%)
Bio: 61-76% -> 126 (67%)
Psych: 63-78% -> 126 (66%)

Overall: 72-82% -> 506 (71%)

Sad day

Did most people with 85-100 on all sections and 90-100 total end up scoring 95+? I couldn't figure it out lol too many posts to catch up to.

Hey guys, I am new to SDN and just registered. I love reading the posts so i figured i create an account. I am taking my test in august and i am very worried. I am taking the Princeton class and my TPR I test score was

Physical: 125
CARS: 123
Bio: 125
Psych: 126

Total 499

I was wondering if anyone thats already taken the MCAT and has their scores can compare their TPR I test to their actual exam.

I also noticed everyone that took the new exam has GREAT CARS score, I was wondering if the section has gotten easier or if it's the same.

Thank you in advance.

For those questioning the 100th percentile, I can tell you with confidence it is because of rounding.

The new report does not use decimals, so all percentiles 99.5+ read as 100.

Last edited:
WOW! Amazing scores. Congratulations! What did you get on the AAMC practice test? What resources did you use to study?

Thanks! God, I've tried so hard to forget :p I got a 519 on the AAMC practice test (and was averaging 510 on the PR practice tests... further evidence that those are way harder than the actual exam). I studied with the PR boxed set, and also used the official AAMC exam and the AAMC practice packs, with a little bit of Khan Academy (didn't find it that helpful). There's a long post somewhere in this thread with a ton of info about how I studied.

Thanks! God, I've tried so hard to forget :p I got a 519 on the AAMC practice test (and was averaging 510 on the PR practice tests... further evidence that those are way harder than the actual exam). I studied with the PR boxed set, and also used the official AAMC exam and the AAMC practice packs, with a little bit of Khan Academy (didn't find it that helpful). There's a long post somewhere in this thread with a ton of info about how I studied.

Thanks! I'll look at your post history and find it :) Sorry to bug you again, but how to you get your scaled score for the AAMC practice test??? Is there a score conversion somewhere now?

Thanks! I'll look at your post history and find it :) Sorry to bug you again, but how to you get your scaled score for the AAMC practice test??? Is there a score conversion somewhere now?
Pretty sure there is only percent correct for the practice test. How did you get a 519 on the practice test when there was no data to compare it to?

Found it, it's here.

For the AAMC practice test score, I had taken a handful of practice tests from different companies and noticed that all of the different companies had fairly consistent conversion of raw percentages to scaled scores (getting 76% right always worked out to a 127, etc., with a little overlap). So I looked at what the conversions were like for the other practice tests I'd taken, and applied that to the AAMC exam. Here's the scale that I had based on my practice test scores -- note that I'm not saying that this is accurate or reflective of how AAMC actually scores exams, just that it appears to be the way that test prep companies are doing it:
124: 42%
125: 68%
126: 71%
127: 72-81%
128: 79-84%
129: 83-90%
130: 89-93%
131: 98%
132: 100%

Reactions: 4 users
Found it, it's here.

For the AAMC practice test score, I had taken a handful of practice tests from different companies and noticed that all of the different companies had fairly consistent conversion of raw percentages to scaled scores (getting 76% right always worked out to a 127, etc., with a little overlap). So I looked at what the conversions were like for the other practice tests I'd taken, and applied that to the AAMC exam. Here's the scale that I had based on my practice test scores -- note that I'm not saying that this is accurate or reflective of how AAMC actually scores exams, just that it appears to be the way that test prep companies are doing it:
124: 42%
125: 68%
126: 71%
127: 72-81%
128: 79-84%
129: 83-90%
130: 89-93%
131: 98%
132: 100%

Awesome! Thanks, that's actually quite helful. Again, congratulations! Good luck with your application :)