The Official August 1, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamin&WakinDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow August 1sters

I'm shocked that there isn't a thread for this date already!
It's July 24th today, meaning we have approx a week left....
How's studying going? STAY SANE!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take it? I felt like bio had a few tough passages - the experimental ones kind of threw me off.
I took it about a week ago for the first time, I decided not to do it tomorrow as it will probably shake my confidence if I don't get the score I want! However, I found that it wasn't actually too bad. Bio felt pretty brutal but it was the highest bio score i've gotten so far, go figure. I thought the verbal was pretty good though, I got a 10 so I was happy with that. Physical sciences was so different from past practice AAMCs but apparently its the most representative of the real MCAT. There was just so much more calculations and just basic knowledge, it was weird o_O

I'm writing on Friday too! Already starting to freak out hard...

On another note, I've noticed that the more recent AAMCs are much more experiment heavy than the earlier ones. Not sure if they're actually harder, but they definitely take me more time to understand. I just took 11 and found PS to be kinda brutal compared to the others.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea there was alot of calculation on it. alot of kids prefer that but Im 100% concepts so Im a bit worried.
I'm also kind of in eh its friday Im gonna do what I can do at this point.

I'm surprised by how much rotational motion type questions I've seen especially because kaplan barely touches it...

yea there was alot of calculation on it. alot of kids prefer that but Im 100% concepts so Im a bit worried.
I'm also kind of in eh its friday Im gonna do what I can do at this point.

I'm surprised by how much rotational motion type questions I've seen especially because kaplan barely touches it...

It's funny you say that because i'm completely the opposite, I don't entirely get whats going on sometimes but I can plug things into an equation so I was kind of hoping my exam would be like that! Yeah I have the same mentality, there's only so much you can cram into these last few days that you'll actually remember. I didn't take a kaplan course or use any of their materials so I wouldn't know! I've been using EK for everything and the AAMC practice exams.

Updating my last scores
AAMC 3 = 7/10/12
AAMC 4 = 13/11/5
AAMC 5 = 11/9/10
AAMC 7 = 10/7/12
AAMC 8 = 12/10/11
AAMC 10 = 12/10/11
AAMC 11 = 12/10/10
AAMC 9 = 11/11/9
Kind of unsure of what to think since I bombed AAMC 9 biology. MCAT is friday and I am already in doubt.
AAMC Average = 30.75
AAMC (8-11) = 32.25

Updating my last scores
AAMC 3 = 7/10/12
AAMC 4 = 13/11/5
AAMC 5 = 11/9/10
AAMC 7 = 10/7/12
AAMC 8 = 12/10/11
AAMC 10 = 12/10/11
AAMC 11 = 12/10/10
AAMC 9 = 11/11/9
Kind of unsure of what to think since I bombed AAMC 9 biology. MCAT is friday and I am already in doubt.
AAMC Average = 30.75
AAMC (8-11) = 32.25

I just got a 7 randomly on verbal on my second to last full length
It seems like alot of people mess up pretty bad on one of their last exams. Maybe it's fatigue?
DONT LET IT GET TO YOU! Even with it you're rolling score is over a 32! Looks great =D

Wrapped up AAMC 9 today.. officially done my FL's!

Final tally:

AAMC PS VR BS Total
3 12/7/11 30
4 12/8/11 31
5 11/8/11 30
7 12/8/11 31
8 10/7/12 29
11 10/7/11 28
10 11/7/13 31
9 12/9/11 32

10 was my favorite test so far for anyone wondering lol.

As for the next 2 days, I'm planning on finishing my SA (not even a quarter done so far :nailbiting:) and review some FL's. I'm thinking about only reviewing 8-11 and the rest only if I have time. Best of luck guys, and make sure to get enough sleep. I'm going to go to bed now so I can get in the habit of sleeping early and getting up around 6:30ish.

Wrapped up AAMC 9 today.. officially done my FL's!

Final tally:

AAMC PS VR BS Total
3 12/7/11 30
4 12/8/11 31
5 11/8/11 30
7 12/8/11 31
8 10/7/12 29
11 10/7/11 28
10 11/7/13 31
9 12/9/11 32

10 was my favorite test so far for anyone wondering lol.

As for the next 2 days, I'm planning on finishing my SA (not even a quarter done so far :nailbiting:) and review some FL's. I'm thinking about only reviewing 8-11 and the rest only if I have time. Best of luck guys, and make sure to get enough sleep. I'm going to go to bed now so I can get in the habit of sleeping early and getting up around 6:30ish.

Lol did you notice, or is it just me, my FL scores have stayed like the same basically throughout my entire studying process. I've taken all 8 AAMCS and 5 Kaplan tests, except for my diagnostic which was intentionally super hard I'm sure, all my FLs have been the same -- averaging around 30-31. Like, what's been the point of all this crazy studying when my FL scores have been essentially flat for the last month??!! lol/argh/!?!

Lol did you notice, or is it just me, my FL scores have stayed like the same basically throughout my entire studying process. I've taken all 8 AAMCS and 5 Kaplan tests, except for my diagnostic which was intentionally super hard I'm sure, all my FLs have been the same -- averaging around 30-31. Like, what's been the point of all this crazy studying when my FL scores have been essentially flat for the last month??!! lol/argh/!?!

Haha hey man, at least you were able to score a 34. And your scores are really well balanced. But yeah it's a little frustrating not to see improvements. If I get a 30 or 31 on the real deal though I'll be more than happy haha. Just hoping this consistency translates onto the real deal.

I know it's not recommended, but I really want to study a little tomorrow...just review some of the AAMC FL's. Thoughts?

Im about to take a biological section off AAMC - just to make sure my brain is capable of thinking at 8 am. Other than that instead of reviewing info Im going to just think about strategy for the day with some note cards here and there.
Honestly I'm weirdly relaxed so I'm not like panic studying. Just keeping my brain moving.

Other than that I have a meeting with my advisor this afternoon (just to discuss a scheduling change NO MED SCHOOL TALK OR I WILL FREAK OUT AND DIE) and plans to go shopping and grab a bathing suit for my trip!

24 hours. Hopefully all of us will be officially done with the MCAT forever around this time tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys they allow graphing calculators right? I have an extra one, should I bring extra if someone forgets one?

phew thank god for those things through am I right? Id fail physics for sure without it

Reactions: 1 user
hey guys they allow graphing calculators right? I have an extra one, should I bring extra if someone forgets one?

phew thank god for those things through am I right? Id fail physics for sure without it

I only hope you're kidding

I'll bring 3 along with my 1 page back and front of equations.

(haha yes kidding, I took kaplan there is literally an entire 2 hour lecture devoted to what to expect ON test day)

What are you guys doing to help yourselves relax tonight? :)

I'm a pretty big neat freak so believe it or not I cleaned my room lol it was very stress relieving. Was going to wash my car too but it's been raining all day. What about you?

I was planning on doing some practice today but every time I read a passage I was like..

dancingdidnotread2.gif

So just reviewing some formulas instead lol

I'm a pretty big neat freak so believe it or not I cleaned my room lol it was very stress relieving. Was going to wash my car too but it's been raining all day. What about you?

I was planning on doing some practice today but every time I read a passage I was like..

dancingdidnotread2.gif

So just reviewing some formulas instead lol
Omg me too (about the cleaning thing)! I've been cleaning and organizing all day. Also watching some "mindless" TV and playing with my boxer pup.
Might very briefly review the AAMC practice tests I've taken

I went over equations, did some verbal then rode my horse :p Relax guys, you got this, and good luck!!

My background: Nontraditional student. Retaker. First exam was a 29 (April 5, 2014), owing possibly to the technical difficulties at my testing center (server shut down for 2 hours; highlighter tool on my computer was inoperable). My average AAMC score for this newest exam: 34.3 (range: 31-38)

Overall Impression: VERY different experience for me. Last exam felt like it was several echelons in difficuly above the AAMC practice exams; today felt like it was comparable to what we are provided. I would be incredibly reticent to say that any MCAT material is "easy", but I would definitely say that I felt more at-ease, and that the questions were fair. I'm actually concerned that the curve is going to be VERY tough, owing to the straight forward nature today. Ugh.

PS - intuitive, comparable to AAMC practice
VR - thought this section was my worst (but is usually one of my best), but my timing was a bit off throughout. Content seemed dense.
BS - a bit more difficult than PS, but certainly doable. Nothing out of left-field.

Last edited:
physics was more basic than miley cyrus
I feel so uncomfortable about it

Reactions: 8 users
Just came hear to preemptively scream:

YOU ALL DID BETTER THAN YOU THINK!!!!!! It's a tough month, but your post-test feelings ain't notin but a thang.

upXoaLk.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Walked out of June 21 thinking I got destroyed by both PS and BS. Like legitamately I thought my breakdown was 6/13/5.
Ended up with a 41. My AAMC average was a little over 38 so it is definitely the best indicator. Post test feelings mean nothing.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with a 10/10/4
I've already counted 5 that I missed in BS.
Here's to another application cycle....

I'm just at a lost for words right now. My timing was completely off on all 3 sections. Guessed on all questions from the last passage of each section :( didn't even have time to read the passages. I don't know what happened. Ugh...

Retaking
PS- Seems decent had to rush on 7 questions. Felt like a lot of calculations than I am use to. (probably me)
VR- Easy to comprehend but the questions confused me the most
BS- I thought it was relatively straight forward, such as the organic chemistry parts.
prediction 7/10/10
:( probably worse
Summed up in one word: defeated

I'm just at a lost for words right now. My timing was completely off on all 3 sections. Guessed on all questions from the last passage of each section :( didn't even have time to read the passages. I don't know what happened. Ugh...
Omg me too. My timing was off in EVERY section. For verbal I had to randomly select bubbles for like at least 2 passages. I also had to guess on all the questions for one of the biology passages.

Walked out of June 21 thinking I got destroyed by both PS and BS. Like legitamately I thought my breakdown was 6/13/5.
Ended up with a 41. My AAMC average was a little over 38 so it is definitely the best indicator. Post test feelings mean nothing.
I felt like I guess on a lot of questions and most cases I am wrong :/

Feel so unworthyyyy man. Whole test felt like a long verbal test IMO...every section felt like verbal haha. I was expecting a calculation heavy PS but a lot of it was very conceptual except for 2 passages. It threw me off a bit honestly, I think I second guessed myself a lot. VR wasn't too bad, I felt the passages were a bit longer but pretty easy to read. The questions were a bit trickier though. Before starting the BS section I was pretty confident since it's my most consistent section but it was very dense and experiment based. I zoned out a few times trying to read the experiments... def bombed it man lol can't believe it. That section is supposed to be my money maker!!

Feel so unworthyyyy man. Whole test felt like a long verbal test IMO...every section felt like verbal haha. I was expecting a calculation heavy PS but a lot of it was very conceptual except for 2 passages. It threw me off a bit honestly. VR wasn't too bad, I felt the passages were a bit longer but pretty easy to read. The questions were a bit trickier though. Before starting the BS section I was pretty confident since it's my most consistent section but it was very dense and experiment based. I zoned out a few times trying to read the experiments... def bombed it man lol can't believe it. That section is supposed to be my money maker!!
lol physics was mine too but I knew I did better on bio than physics

lol physics was mine too but I knew I did better on bio than physics

Yea PS was kind of weird man. The passages were pretty long and convoluted.. a lot of unnecessary info in there. I think I answered a whole passage without reading it lol

I felt pretty good about it, physics was super conceptual which was weird because I was expecting a lot of calculations. I thought I did really well in verbal, confident in the answers and had like ten minutes left. Biological was brutal. There wasn't a lot of orgo but the bio that was there was tough and all like DNA and things I wasn't confident in. Ohwell, we'll see how it goes!!