The Official August 15, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axa5780

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'am signed up for this date. I didn't find a thread for August 15th, so here it is. Let's make this a fun experience, and hope we all come out the other end satisfied with our score.

Materials:
PS: BR Physics, NOVA Physics, BR Chemistry, EK 1001 Chem & Phys
BS: EK Biology, BR Biology, EK 1001 Biol
Verbal: EK 101, TPR Verbal

Extras: TPRH SW, WIkiPremed Flashcards & videos. All AAMC FL plus all Kaplan FL.

Lets do this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
35 Thinking about retaking. Lowest score I have ever gotten. And I could have done better. Much better. Not sad, but annoyed, miffed, and disappointed

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, i wanna say the curve was off this test.. idk. man.. you can never go by gut instinct..

Test Date: 08/15/2015
Time: 8 AM
FL AAMC Average: 35.875
Post-test expected score: Who the hell knows
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 35 (11/11/13)

oK2UFiT.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Test Date: 08/15/2014
Time: 8AM
FL AAMC Average: 27-29
Post-test expected score: 27-30
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 31 10/10/11

did not take a practice test since January/2014 test where I scored my average of 28 (For 08/14 I concentrated on content review). As a non-trad my undergraduate pre-req classes were 7-8 years ago.

35 Thinking about retaking. Lowest score I have ever gotten. And I could have done better. Much better. Not sad, but annoyed, miffed, and disappointed

Are you just saying that so SDN will never get to see your face?!

Just kidding. Retake it!!!!! It's obviously a fluke, considering your practice scores.
On the other hand, 35 is a solid score and several adcoms on SDN have said that retaking a 34+ shows "lack of judgment", but what do I know.

TPRBio got a 35...Lol at the AAMC.

5 points below average. 7 below modal score. Awesome!

FL AAMC Average: 39
Post-test expected score: 33-35
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 34 (12/10/12)

FL AAMC Average: 35.8
Post-test expected score: Who the hell knows
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 35 (11/11/13)

oK2UFiT.gif

Oh my, the dog in the gif looks like it doesn't have both of its front paws!! Saddest thing ever!! Can't say the same thing about your score though. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Time: 8 AM/PM
FL AAMC Average: 36
Post-test expected score: 36
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 38 (12/13/13)

IM SO GLAD I GET TO WRITE A 30+ POST NOW!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: 30-34 (tried to be optimistic)
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 31 (10/10/11)

Can't say I'm surprised. Good luck to the rest of you

AAMC FL Average: 29

Actual MCAT: 29 (PS 9, VR 10, BS 10).

After the test (and during the month of torturous waiting) I thought I completely bombed it. I had no idea what was happening in BS for at least two passages. I found even verbal hard which was usually my strongest section. So I guess it was true in my case that despite post-test feelings, most people will score around their averages.

I am happy that I got a score I deserved (based on my average) and that will give me a chance for DO schools (maybe some MD... probably not but who knows?). But I'm wondering if this is the right career for me -- seems like even if I make it to med school, I'll probably have to satisfy myself with being below average.

AAMC average: 26
predicted 21-31
Actual 22 (6,7,9) - VR,PS,BS

Very disaapointed but i have being preparing myself for such a low score for a while now. so I guess I will be preparing to take it in Jan
I feel your pain :( I'm really discouraged.....wandering if I should take it again.....studying while in school is going to be so hard

TPRBio got a 35...Lol at the AAMC.

5 points below average. 7 below modal score. Awesome!

FL AAMC Average: 39
Post-test expected score: 33-35
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 34 (12/10/12)

You guys are making me nervous.

AAMC FL average : 36
Actual: 35 (12/10/13)

Kinda funky verbal as I never scored below 11 on the practice tests but I'm fairly happy with my score (though would have loved a 36). I'm grateful I never have to take this test again!

hi everyone,

aamc average was 36 ps/vr/bs = 12/10.5/12.5
predicted 9/11/12
actual = 12/9/11

essebtially out of the running for 6 of my 7 schools, nd im glaf i signed up for a retake on thursday....guess i wint ever trsut aamc averages

AVG: 35-37
Expected: 33-38 12-14/10-11/11-13
Actual: 35 (12/10/13)

Thinking of retaking because of the mother ****ing fire alarm that went off during my verbal.

Last edited:
Don't quite know what to think after seeing these posts. I still haven't checked my score, honestly just scared lol.

Fl average 42
post test feeling ~38
8/15:35 14/11/10

SDN should I retake? I just want to get into a cali school

Fl average 42
post test feeling ~38

IMO, you're golden. However, what other people say likely won't change your mind, you have to feel good with your own score.

Fl average 42
post test feeling ~38

I normally am super pro-retaking but it seems like most adcoms would view retaking anything like above 33+ as something that is REALLY BAD, no matter how much you improve.

I really feel for you. It was probably a fluke.

Test Date: 8/15/2014
FL AAMC Average: 33
Post-test expected score: 30-32
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 32 (10/11/11)

I am completely content with my score - not ecstatic and not disappointed. It is balanced and the verbal score is above 10 so I can't be sad. Even though I have done a bunch of research on what a good MCAT score is, I still can't help but think that it's just decent. I'm glad that nothing went horribly wrong during my test, and I didn't feel horrible after taking it. I put a lot of work into this exam, and I am just glad that I don't have to do it again.

I really appreciate all of you guys during this stressful few months, and, even though this test is a tiring experience, I really do want to push everyone to keep working towards their dreams.

Well....it's done...
Test Day: 8/15/14 8AM
AAMC MCAT 3-11 Average: 30
AAMC 8-11 Average: 33
Predicted Score: 28
Actual Score (VR/PS/BS): 10/8/10
Well I'm just kind of numb right now. That PS was brutal, and as you can see from my post on page 15 I got my predicted score. I think I only scored a 10 for VR on one practice exam and other than that had 11's and 12's and a 13 mixed in. PS and VR were supposed to be my safety nets and I was just hoping to hit 10 in BS and maintain my minimum in those to hopefully get above my average. I am in utter disbelief. I have NEVER scored that low on PS. I don't even know what to do with myself now, other than get mentally prepared to retake in November before they switch to the new test. All that work for this? Wow. Just wow.

IMO, you're golden. However, what other people say likely won't change your mind, you have to feel good with your own score.
I dont feel good or bad with it. It makes me competitive anywhere, but its not as strong as I would like it.
Short resume:
35 MCAT
4.00 gpa
200+hrs research (no publish) and presenting at NCUR next spring.
100+ hrs shadowing
100+ hrs clinical volunteering
300+ hrs community volunteering
Student coordinator for internship program (Have received awards from our county for contributions to the community)
Lead activities coordinator for green club
Orientation leader
head of public relations for honors program
member of 3 honors societies (and active board member)
Coordinator for open mic club
Children's martial arts instructor 5+ years
Own martial arts (as hobby flavor) 15+ years
Fencing 3+ years
Member of Toastmasters 2 years
Presenter for science seminars and speakers at my uni for 2 years
Own my own business
Tutor for a local disenfranchised high school
And member of a variety of other clubs that aren't worth noting since they are just for fun (ie hockey club, DnD, etc)

What do you think my chances are for getting into a UC med school?

Fl average 42
post test feeling ~38

I completely feel you, same score although my average was a few points lower. I'm torn about retaking. My emotional side knows I could do and deserve better but my rational side says retaking isn't worth the risk of doing worse or looking foolish to retake a seemingly good score/opportunity cost. I 100% understand how demoralizing and disappointing this score is -- for me it's right on the border of being too high to retake but too low to be satisfied with.

I think you'll be fine to get into a Cali school though, so I would recommend (and I'm probably leaning towards) not retaking.

I dont feel good or bad with it. It makes me competitive anywhere, but its not as strong as I would like it.
Short resume:
35 MCAT
4.00 gpa
100+ hrs shadowing
Student coordinator for internship program (Have received awards from our county for contributions to the community)
Orientation leader
Fencing 3+ years
Own my own business
And member of a variety of other clubs that aren't worth noting since they are just for fun (ie hockey club, DnD, etc)

Sound like a perfect post for WAMC thread

Well... I f**ked up...

33 aamc average.....

actualy: 29

Welp... I think I'll tell my parents at the end of the month so I can find a place to stay when I get kicked out...

Happy for you guys meeting your averages!!! Best of luck in the future!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Short resume:
35 MCAT
4.00 gpa
100+ hrs shadowing
Orientation leader
Fencing 3+ years
Own my own business

Elaborate on this. Like your own start-up?

Time: 8:00 AM
FL AAMC Average: 38
Post-test expected score: 36
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 33 (11/11/11)

So torn about retaking this... A 33's not bad but I know I can do so much better. Problem is, if we do retake, we HAVE to do better.

anything 30+ i wouldn't retake. there's other attributes they look at aside from score and its always possible to score lower

Last edited:
I need some advice here guys...

Got a 30 (9,9,12) AAMC avg a 34
I'm in a 7 year accel med program that couples UT Austin with either UTSW or UT Houston. I'm a sophomore currently. I need a 30 for both of these schools as part of the requirements.

I wanted to apply out to Baylor but my mcat score isn't good enough.. I currently have a 3.98 GPA.

Should I retake the mcat and apply out or stick with what I have? And if I should retake, when?

Short resume:
35 MCAT
4.00 gpa
100+ hrs shadowing
Orientation leader
Fencing 3+ years
Own my own business

Literally I don't see you getting turned down anywhere.

Reactions: 2 users
8/15/14
8:00am
FL AAMC Avg: 34.5
Predicted post test: 32
Actual: (14/11/13) 38

I AM SO HAPPY. I checked in the middle of class...I started shaking, sweating, and smiling. I'm glad it it over

Reactions: 8 users
Anybody else have a hardcore breakdown after getting their scores back?? What a day.

8/15/14
8am
FL AAMC Avg: 38
Predicted post test: 30 (LOL Physics....)
Actual: (12/13/13) 38

So infinitely glad this thing is over with.

Reactions: 5 users
Well... I f**ked up...

33 aamc average.....

actualy: 7/10/11

Welp... I think I'll tell my parents at the end of the month so I can find a place to stay when I get kicked out...

Happy for you guys meeting your averages!!! Best of luck in the future!!

Really sorry to hear you have so much pressure on you. Depending on the rest of your application, there might still be MD schools where you have a shot? According to MSAR, UC Davis, Rush, Rosalind Franklin maybe...? If you're okay with DO schools, a 28 is competitive.