The Official August 15, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axa5780

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'am signed up for this date. I didn't find a thread for August 15th, so here it is. Let's make this a fun experience, and hope we all come out the other end satisfied with our score.

Materials:
PS: BR Physics, NOVA Physics, BR Chemistry, EK 1001 Chem & Phys
BS: EK Biology, BR Biology, EK 1001 Biol
Verbal: EK 101, TPR Verbal

Extras: TPRH SW, WIkiPremed Flashcards & videos. All AAMC FL plus all Kaplan FL.

Lets do this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I dont feel good or bad with it. It makes me competitive anywhere, but its not as strong as I would like it.
Short resume:
35 MCAT
4.00 gpa
200+hrs research (no publish) and presenting at NCUR next spring.
100+ hrs shadowing
100+ hrs clinical volunteering
300+ hrs community volunteering
Student coordinator for internship program (Have received awards from our county for contributions to the community)
Lead activities coordinator for green club
Orientation leader
head of public relations for honors program
member of 3 honors societies (and active board member)
Coordinator for open mic club
Children's martial arts instructor 5+ years
Own martial arts (as hobby flavor) 15+ years
Fencing 3+ years
Member of Toastmasters 2 years
Presenter for science seminars and speakers at my uni for 2 years
Own my own business
Tutor for a local disenfranchised high school
And member of a variety of other clubs that aren't worth noting since they are just for fun (ie hockey club, DnD, etc)

What do you think my chances are for getting into a UC med school?
You should call the individual schools you are looking at and get their input. I wish you all the luck.

Test Date: 08/15/2014
Time: 8:00 AM
FL AAMC Average: 33
Post-test expected score: 28-34
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 33 (12/09/12)

Long time lurker here. I’m relatively happy with my score, kind of shocked at a lower verbal reasoning. Should I retake? Will this kind of unbalanced score ruin my chances? Looking to apply out of state!

Members don't see this ad :)
Fl average 42
post test feeling ~38
8/15:35 14/11/10

SDN should I retake? I just want to get into a cali school

Sorry man :/

I wouldn't recommend retaking. A 35 is a solid score - you have a perfect GPA and you have incredible ECs. You are going to get interviews from Cali schools for sure.

To all my fellow Canadians, If you have a 9 in VR and reside in Ontario even getting 32 or higher, I feel your pain - guess it's retake time for us all.

Amc average : 36
Actual score:34
I'm happy, though I was hoping to hit my average. I was wondering what people have heard about retaking? Like does admissions not like seeing retakes? I'm debating. But I know it's within +/- 2 from my average so maybe I shouldn't..

To everybody who thinks that they aren't deserving to go to medicine based off their scores. You have no idea how many doctors I've worked with in the ER tell me that the MCAT is a POS exam that doesn't reflect anything. I know dr's that got 23's that went to DO schools, got their degree and know literally just as much as doctors that got 31's and went to MD schools. The MCAT is a weedout. Nothing but that. Because you score "below average" in your books does not indicate your competency as a doctor one bit. Also, for those that have gotten 35+ and are retaking it, coming from a person who's family member is on adcom at a high end school, they look really really really down at people who score above their average matriculation and retake. Obviously to each their own, but just throwing that out there.

Reactions: 9 users
To everybody who thinks that they aren't deserving to go to medicine based off their scores. You have no idea how many doctors I've worked with in the ER tell me that the MCAT is a POS exam that doesn't reflect anything. I know dr's that got 23's that went to DO schools, got their degree and know literally just as much as doctors that got 31's and went to MD schools. The MCAT is a weedout. Nothing but that. Because you score "below average" in your books does not indicate your competency as a doctor one bit. Also, for those that have gotten 35+ and are retaking it, coming from a person who's family member is on adcom at a high end school, they look really really really down at people who score above their average matriculation and retake. Obviously to each their own, but just throwing that out there.

Thanks for the pep talk, I feel a little bit better now haha

Thank-you for your kind words. There are a lot of us who really needed that including those who won't post but will see that comment anyways.
I remember during my 1st year I kept telling myself it depends how badly you want to do this will determine how far you get. For those who have low scores, keep trying until you get it right. Don't let this test determine your life.

P.S. Those who got a respectable high score and are asking whether they should rewrite, it's pretty much like rubbing it in a lot of people's faces. The answer is obviously if a rewrite is neccessary. So just keep that in mind.

Reactions: 1 users
Test Date: 8/15/14
Time: 8 a.m.
FL AAMC Average: 35 (14/9/12)
Post-test expected score: 31 (13/8/10)
Actual Score: 32 (12/9/11)

Well, BS ****** me up and I don’t know what happened in PS. I almost always got a 14 for PS in the AAMC FLs. I was really hoping to get at least a 35 since I want a shot at top tier schools, not to mention that I’m from goddamn Cali. Definitely retaking in October, right in the middle of midterm season. I was going to try some new hobbies this semester, but it looks like I’ll be holed up studying once again for this ******* bull**** known as the MCAT.

Congratulations to everyone else who scored what they wanted. Good luck and stay strong to those retaking.

We got the same score! My Breakdown for AAMC average was (12.5ish/10.5ish/12.5ish) with the last 3 AAMC's being at least 13 BS, and 12-13 PS but I got (12/9/11) (PS/VR/BS) so I know where you are coming from. I am re-taking on Thursday! Since we had a similar average and breakdown in scores, PM me and I'll let you know how it went compared to August 15th and what you can try to improve on when you re-write in October!

FL average: 30 (10/10/10)

Actual: 27 (8/9/10)

Extremely disappointed. I didn't feel good about it after but I thought I had at least a 29. Felt like I should have gotten around 11 on verbal too. Definitely going to retake in January. Need to get a 30+ to compensate for my below average GPA. Trying to attend University of Mississippi. Good luck to everyone in the future. Glad to see others did well on this test

I am not gonna lie…it seems like you guys got shafted with a terrible curve/scale whatever you want to call it that the AAMC does. Looking @ this thread I see a disproportionate amount of people who scores well below their FL average…looking at other test date threads it doesn't seem to mirror this threads situation at all. Clearly this test was terrible. I feel sorry for you guys that scores way below their AAMC avg.

Reactions: 3 users
Fl average 42
post test feeling ~38
8/15:35 14/11/10

SDN should I retake? I just want to get into a cali school

You seem like a perfectionist that will probably retake. IMO, if the rest of your app is strong you should have a shot at Cali schools. Highly doubt a 35 will keep you out from anywhere in the country if the rest of your app is strong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well... I f**ked up...

33 aamc average.....

actualy: 7/10/11

Welp... I think I'll tell my parents at the end of the month so I can find a place to stay when I get kicked out...

Happy for you guys meeting your averages!!! Best of luck in the future!!

Really hope you're joking. If your parents would make you feel bad for your score, I suggest seeing a therapist. Parents need to always be supportive and proud of your accomplishments. Good news is, you have a lot of room to improve and it seems like you're taking a less-than-hoped-for score in good stride. GL to you.

AAMC FL Average: 29

Actual MCAT: 29 (PS 9, VR 10, BS 10).

After the test (and during the month of torturous waiting) I thought I completely bombed it. I had no idea what was happening in BS for at least two passages. I found even verbal hard which was usually my strongest section. So I guess it was true in my case that despite post-test feelings, most people will score around their averages.

I am happy that I got a score I deserved (based on my average) and that will give me a chance for DO schools (maybe some MD... probably not but who knows?). But I'm wondering if this is the right career for me -- seems like even if I make it to med school, I'll probably have to satisfy myself with being below average.
Just gonna go off on a tangent here but how the EFF is a score of 29 below average? To me, it just shows you have absolutely NO idea about the pool of people taking the test every year. Go to AAMC webpage and find the statistical distribution and you'll pleasantly find out that you scored 1 standard deviation higher than the mean.

Here's mine:
Test Date: 8/15/14
Time: 8 a.m.
Practice test Average: 38
Post-test expected score: 33-34
Actual Score: 36 (14/10/12)

Going into the test I would have been disappointed with my score, but coming out of it, I will definitely take it. I am surprised I rocked physical science but only got a 10 on Verbal, as I normally got 13's on practice tests. Oh well. Does anyone know if medical school admissions care more or less about verbal than the other sections?

Just gonna go off on a tangent here but how the EFF is a score of 29 below average? To me, it just shows you have absolutely NO idea about the pool of people taking the test every year. Go to AAMC webpage and find the statistical distribution and you'll pleasantly find out that you scored 1 standard deviation higher than the mean.

29 is below the average of people who matriculate. According to MSAR, the median of matriculants is 33 (and the average is 31, I believe).

I actually have a really weak background in science and in order to score 29 I had to put months of effort so I see it as a personal accomplishment. However, it is simply not a very competitive score for MD schools, I think it's okay to admit that.

As a nontraditional student, I was just wondering if I should have continued with my other academic path where it would be easier for me to be "above average". I don't think I will ever be as good in science as I was in humanities. But it's okay, being average or below among med students (assuming I can get in!) would still be an accomplishment, given how gifted most people in med school are. I am just sad I'm not as good at science as I hoped to be (and my so-so sGPA further proves it).

AAMC Average: 30 (diagnostic: 27, trended upwards on later exams)
Prediction: 30-31
Actual: 31 (PS 9/ VR 11/ BS 11)
PS was very difficult and frustrating to say the least. I spent the majority of my time this summer studying physics yet that was my low section?!?!!
Oh well. I probably could do better, but don't want to risk it. Good luck to anyone who has to retake it. This was/ is a difficult test.

Oh no, Halp! Sorry to hear you're upset, I was rooting for you! I got a 29 but I'm happy with it since it was my average (i.e. didn't really deserve anything more).

If your heart is set on MD, I recommend reading this thread to give yourself some hope:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/any-27-29-mcat-with-interviews.351659/page-33

What happens if you want to go into MD but you got a 28?
I'm crying so much haha. I studied so much and this is what I get.

29 is below the average of people who matriculate. According to MSAR, the median of matriculants is 33 (and the average is 31, I believe).

I actually have a really weak background in science and in order to score 29 I had to put months of effort so I see it as a personal accomplishment. However, it is simply not a very competitive score for MD schools, I think it's okay to admit that.

As a nontraditional student, I was just wondering if I should have continued with my other academic path where it would be easier for me to be "above average". I don't think I will ever be as good in science as I was in humanities. But it's okay, being average or below among med students (assuming I can get in!) would still be an accomplishment, given how gifted most people in med school are. I am just sad I'm not as good at science as I hoped to be (and my so-so sGPA further proves it).

I think you're a little bit hard on yourself, remember its just a test, nothing more it doesn't indicate the kind of doctor you'll be. We are almost in the same shoes..Chemical Engineering major, 27 MCAT. i studied for this for almost a year, kinda disappointed with my score but there was a vast improvement in BS from 6 to 10. i'm confident i'll get admitted someplace. I tuned down a job offer in top 7 energy company hopefully i'm not making a big mistake.

Reactions: 2 users
Guys, I need some advice.
Test Date: 8/5/14
Time: 8 am
AAMC average: ~32
Prediction: 29-35
Actual: 27 (PS 9/VR 8/BS 10)
...I have no idea what happened. I used gold standard tests and AAMCs and was averaging around 31 and 32, respectively. I understand Verbal, but I really thought that despite the difficulty of PS, I would be compensated to score around my average (13). I also felt that I killed the BS, and got a score closer to a 12-13. Definitely gonna retake but any advice on how I should change studying this time? Scoring below 28 on two tries is really discouraging (I took the test back in September of last year and got a 25). How do I only improve by 2 points after studying for almost an entire summer =(

Also feeling messed up but ready to bounce back. I need your advice also, guys.

Test: 8.15.14
FL avg: 34 (lowest was a 8-10-11 on AAMC 3 highest was 36 on AAMC9)
Study: TBR, TPR Self study program
Expected: 30-32
Actual: 28 (9.9.10)
About me: post bac (architecture baccalaureate with 3.7 gpa) into biochem (4.0 for a year of studies all upper division)
Strong LORs, hours in international water poverty prevention and aid, international medical aid, worked as a supervisior in homeless shelter and hundreds of hours in both physio and biochemical research. ER hours are about 40 with similar shadowing numbers. Bringing those up this year.

Plan: study my ass off and take the 10/25/14. In pchem, a graduate physiology course, calc and another microbiology course. Aligns with mcat some what..

I feel like this exam was not my strongest debut, nor representative of my knowledge. I want to chalk it up to a bad day and come back hard.

Is it possible guys ? Or am I kidding myself with a month off and trying to prepare in approximately six weeks ?? And I apologize ahead of time for typos, I am coming from a smart phone.

Last edited:
Also feeling messed up but ready to bounce back. I need your advice also, guys.

Test: 8.15.14
FL avg: 34 (lowest was a 8-10-11 on AAMC 3 highest was 36 on AAMC9)
Study: TBR, TPR Self study program
Actual: 28 (9.9.10)
About me: post bac (architecture baccalaureate with 3.7 gpa) into biochem (4.0 for a year of studies all upper division)
Strong LORs, hours in international water poverty prevention and aid, international medical aid, worked as a supervisior in homeless shelter and hundreds of hours in both physio and biochemical research. ER hours are about 40 with similar shadowing numbers. Bringing those up this year.

Plan: study my ass off and take the 10/25/14. In pchem, a graduate physiology course, calc and another microbiology course. Aligns with mcat some what..

I feel like this exam was not my strongest debut, nor representative of my knowledge. I want to chalk it up to a bad day and come back hard.

Is it possible guys ? Or am I kidding myself with a month off and trying to prepare in approximately six weeks ?? And I apologize ahead of time for typos, I am coming from a smart phone.

I am re-writing tomorrow - I will let you know how it goes compared to the exam we had and maybe it'll help you study better/focus on what I perceived where difficulties. The number of people scoring well below their FL AAMC average in this thread is abnormally high...

wow it seems like so many people who took this exam scored significantly below their AAMC exam averages. So sorry to everyone who had that happen, but don't give up! You can always retake and improve the next time around.

I am re-writing tomorrow - I will let you know how it goes compared to the exam we had and maybe it'll help you study better/focus on what I perceived where difficulties. The number of people scoring well below their FL AAMC average in this thread is abnormally high...

Thank you! It'll be much appreciated. I don't want to have to struggle through the 2015 exam, my psych and socio are definitely NOT up to par for that exam (one semester each six years ago). I'm just crushed/disappointed. My spouse says I've been a pouty mess and ugh.

I am not gonna lie…it seems like you guys got shafted with a terrible curve/scale whatever you want to call it that the AAMC does. Looking @ this thread I see a disproportionate amount of people who scores well below their FL average…looking at other test date threads it doesn't seem to mirror this threads situation at all. Clearly this test was terrible. I feel sorry for you guys that scores way below their AAMC avg.

Exactly what I have been thinking.

I scored below my average as well (lower than any aamc practice test I've done). I never got below a 10 for PS or 11 for BS, but got a 8 and 9 respectively. I don't think there was a generous curve but will be retaking in January. Goodbye Christmas break.

This is so frustrating...Now I have to put off applying till the next application cycle b/c of this beast. Even though I'm only 21 and just got my degree this past may, its still so hard especially with your parents and entire family breathing down your neck and asking when/where I'm goin to medical school. gahhh
Sorry guys for the rant. Just trying to blow off some steam...back to square 1 for me.

Reactions: 2 users
Guys, I need some advice.
Test Date: 8/5/14
Time: 8 am
AAMC average: ~32
Prediction: 29-35
Actual: 27 (PS 9/VR 8/BS 10)
...I have no idea what happened. I used gold standard tests and AAMCs and was averaging around 31 and 32, respectively. I understand Verbal, but I really thought that despite the difficulty of PS, I would be compensated to score around my average (13). I also felt that I killed the BS, and got a score closer to a 12-13. Definitely gonna retake but any advice on how I should change studying this time? Scoring below 28 on two tries is really discouraging (I took the test back in September of last year and got a 25). How do I only improve by 2 points after studying for almost an entire summer =(
We literally have the exact same stats: My average was ~32, prediction 29-35 (PS8-10, VR10-12, BS10-13) and actual 8 8 10.... I empathize with you. I think we were just unlucky with this test. I had never gotten an 8 in VR before. We've been averaging well. I'll be rewriting tomorrow and will let you guys know how it went. Don't lose hope. If you truly want to be a doctor you'll write this damn thing until you conquer it.

This is so frustrating...Now I have to put off applying till the next application cycle b/c of this beast. Even though I'm only 21 and just got my degree this past may, its still so hard especially with your parents and entire family breathing down your neck and asking when/where I'm goin to medical school. gahhh
Sorry guys for the rant. Just trying to blow off some steam...back to square 1 for me.

Totally know how you feel in regards to the family breathing down your neck thing. Sooooo many people's expectations to reach up to.

Now I really wonder how the curve or whatever you want to call it will be for the Sept, Oct, Nov groups.

Are you implying that the curve is becoming more stringent overall? Or perhaps because these are the last tests before the updated exam? I'm curious.

Test Date: 08/15/2014
Time: 8:00 AM
FL AAMC Average: 35.5 (range 33-41)
Post-test expected score: 30-36
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 32 (12/09/11)

Been lurking this thread so thought I would post. Was definitely shocked because I thought PS was ridiculous and verbal and BS weren't that hard. Guess I thought wrong...what's up with the verbal from this test? It's amazing how much different a 9 feels from a 10.

Question: should I retake? I feel like I am right on the edge for more competitive programs. Background: post-grad doing bio-medical research at ivy university, 4.0GPA, volunteering at hospital, will have two publications (one second author) in chemistry this fall. Loads of TA experience and will have about 5 years of research experience before I matriculate. Planning to apply next summer but wanted to take the MCAT before it changes into a new monster.

Are you implying that the curve is becoming more stringent overall? Or perhaps because these are the last tests before the updated exam? I'm curious.

Last few tests and seats are getting full in many states so I don't know if that will contribute to harsher curves with more people scrambling to take it. I could be wrong..just wondering.

Was just about to schedule my test and there aren't any seats in my state or neighboring states for the rest of the year. Hahahahahaaa.........

I'm actually crying.

Was just about to schedule my test and there aren't any seats in my state or neighboring states for the rest of the year. Hahahahahaaa.........

I'm actually crying.

I'm scheduled for October but no seats left in my state for January if I have to retake it. I wonder if AAMC will open up some dates in December..would be a great marketing strategy if they did since during winter break I'm sure a lot of students would want to sign up.

I'm scheduled for October but no seats left in my state for January if I have to retake it. I wonder if AAMC will open up some dates in December..would be a great marketing strategy if they did since during winter break I'm sure a lot of students would want to sign up.

Lol I wonder if AAMC has a marketing department.

I seriously don't think they understand how much money they would make off of winter break test dates... I would get on my knees and beg for this personally.

Also on the side note, I feel bad for all the cali residents. I'm not from there but I've heard there are literally no seats left :(.

Last edited:
I seriously don't think they understand how much money they would make off of winter break test dates... I would get on my knees and beg for this personally.

Also on the side note, I feel bad for all the cali residents. I'm not from there but I've heard there are literally no seats left :(.

They can even charge like twice as much and I'm sure people would pay. lol Yea, no seats at all in Cali. :(

Looks like my winter break vacation spot is done for. Gotta use that money to drive and hotel in a city six hours out.

Looks like my winter break vacation spot is done for. Gotta use that money to drive and hotel in a city six hours out.

Look on the bright side. Now you have an MCAT vacation lol.

They can even charge like twice as much and I'm sure people would pay. lol Yea, no seats at all in Cali. :(

Aka an inelastic good (my econ 101 knowledge is finally coming to use)!

Aka an inelastic good (my econ 101 knowledge is finally coming to use)!

The only thing I remember from econ class was comparison using apples and cherries and supply and demand.

That's what I keep telling everyone. If I have to retake in January, I'm going on a vacation at wherever I end up going for my retake.

This is true, thanks guys! Suppose now I have more time to really plunge into the material and go further beyond than I have... On the downside, the January tests could be deathly.

This is true, thanks guys! Suppose now I have more time to really plunge into the material and go further beyond than I have... On the downside, the January tests could be deathly.

Yeah that's what I'm really scared about. What if they make the January tests really hard... I really hope not :stop:

Hi,

So I have been lurking on this thread for months now and I'm torn. On my practice exams, I got 35-38, mainly 36. But on my actual test, I got 33.,11-11-11. I'm trying to figure out what to do. I have a 3.83 GPA and a science of 3.79 from a prestigious University known for grade deflation.
Part of me wants to retake the test for my own personal vendetta, but at the same time, I don't want to go through the stress of it again, especially if it will actually hurt me when I apply.
I am trying to get into a school in California but any MD program would be great.

I'd love to hear feedback on what you guys think would be my best option.