The Official August 17 2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CardiologyJosh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I notice that people make these for their respective test dates, so I took the liberty of doing so for August 17 2012. Anyone else taking the MCAT in 6 Months and 2 days from now?

Best of luck to everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on taking it that date too... gonna study all summer. Downside is (depending on how you look at it) is that I will be fasting lol

Downside is (depending on how you look at it) is that I will be fasting lol

Not sure if I could look at it in a way that would make me consider a potential upside - but I hope that your choice to fast (be it medical, dietary, religious, or spiritual) do not hinder your potential on test day.

Good luck!

I think that will be my date too. I noticed that the time is at 1pm. How do you guys feel about this time. I know I'm not really a morning person but may be it will be easier going at that test for hours if I just woke up from a good nights sleep. thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if I could look at it in a way that would make me consider a potential upside - but I hope that your choice to fast (be it medical, dietary, religious, or spiritual) do not hinder your potential on test day.

Good luck!

I'll be fasting for religious reasons... for Ramadan (it's going to be from July 20 to August 20), so we believe that when you're fasting you receive blessings. But I'll still be hungry lol and most of my studying will be in Ramadan as well. Will be a real mental test for me. And thanks, good luck to you as well!

I think that will be my date too. I noticed that the time is at 1pm. How do you guys feel about this time. I know I'm not really a morning person but may be it will be easier going at that test for hours if I just woke up from a good nights sleep. thoughts?

Yeah why is it only at 1pm? I would prefer it to be in the morning so I can take it when I'm nice and fresh.

When I took the GRE, I think my exam time was either 12:00pm or 1:00pm. Obviously the exam was not as long as the MCAT (I don't think it was? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong,) but I think if you aren't a morning person, than taking an afternoon exam is not a bad idea. However, do try and wake up a good period of time before the exam, have a solid breakfast (not so big that you'll need to evacuate your bowels in the middle of the exam,) but one that will satiate you long enough so that you aren't distracted by hunger pangs during the exam.

Also, something else I did on test day before I went to the testing site to sit for the GRE: I did about 10 - 15 math problems, to get my circuits going and prime myself for the exam. I don't know if this is pedagogically founded or not, but it definitely did not feel like I was going into the exam cold; definitely served as a good pre-test warm up. Thinking about doing the same the morning of test day, maybe like 6 BS passages, 6 PS passages, and a verbal passage or two.

Best of Luck!

When I took the GRE, I think my exam time was either 12:00pm or 1:00pm. Obviously the exam was not as long as the MCAT (I don't think it was? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong,) but I think if you aren't a morning person, than taking an afternoon exam is not a bad idea. However, do try and wake up a good period of time before the exam, have a solid breakfast (not so big that you'll need to evacuate your bowels in the middle of the exam,) but one that will satiate you long enough so that you aren't distracted by hunger pangs during the exam.

Also, something else I did on test day before I went to the testing site to sit for the GRE: I did about 10 - 15 math problems, to get my circuits going and prime myself for the exam. I don't know if this is pedagogically founded or not, but it definitely did not feel like I was going into the exam cold; definitely served as a good pre-test warm up. Thinking about doing the same the morning of test day, maybe like 6 BS passages, 6 PS passages, and a verbal passage or two.

Best of Luck!

I like your idea about doing passages as a warm up but 6 BS and PS, sounds kinda on the hefty side. I may do 2/3.

Good luck to you too!

I'll be fasting for religious reasons... for Ramadan (it's going to be from July 20 to August 20), so we believe that when you're fasting you receive blessings. But I'll still be hungry lol and most of my studying will be in Ramadan as well. Will be a real mental test for me. And thanks, good luck to you as well!

Yeah why is it only at 1pm? I would prefer it to be in the morning so I can take it when I'm nice and fresh.

There should be more options but my classes start on the 20th and I dont want to be in classes and doing MCAT related stuff, so thats why im try to do it then.

Hello all! I just signed up for this date. I am a Non-Trad undergrad and will have taken all my pre-req's by the test date except for Orgo 2, but do not think it will be a big problem. I am applying for admission in 2014 and feel like this August would be a good time to take as I will have the whole summer off to study (I may or may not take a prep course also). If I do well, great! If not, I will have plenty of time to figure out when to take again.

I look forward to interacting with you guys leading up to the test date! Good luck!!

Hi all

August 16th is the judgement day for me ..more likely September 16th (the date of the score release i think) ...make sure you set up yr AAMC exams to be taken at 1:00 pm....:smuggrin:

hey gys im planning on taking the exam in juny or july and was looking to see ifn anyone in Miami was down to form a study group. i have tons of materials and it would be great to get a couple of people to study hard for it. If anyone is interested let me know, 786-473-2699, or email me [email protected] Good luck guys!

Paul

hey gys im planning on taking the exam in juny or july and was looking to see ifn anyone in Miami was down to form a study group. i have tons of materials and it would be great to get a couple of people to study hard for it. If anyone is interested let me know, 786-473-2699, or email me [email protected] Good luck guys!

Paul

I am in Miami taking August 17. I have all the books for the SN2ED study plan. I am going to start after finals in May.

I know where you are coming from. I also will be preparing during the time of ramadan. That means fasting and tarabi prayer. Did anyone of you guys start studying yet?

I've been starting to review for the August 17 MCAT since yesterday. Ack. I'm nervous. I'm taking the MCAT here in the Philippines. Sadly, there are no review courses available so I'm doing self-study all the way. :| I'm following a schedule patterned after SN2ED.

Hey hey all, haven't been very active on SDN lately, I've been studying like 60 hours a week. How is everyone doing?

Ok, lol. Another 8/17 thread popped up and has been active the last week or so...