The Official August 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsantav

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration opens up sometime today so I thought I'd go ahead and make this thread. Anyone else taking it in August?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope I wake up on time to sign up for a spot :( I wanna take the Aug 22nd exam :( but if anything, I can take September one as I am not applying this cycle...

I'm a sophomore right now so I'll be applying next cycle.

Do you guys think August test dates will fill up? I was thinking it'd be easy to get a seat since it's kind of late for this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aug 21! I'll be using TBR for Content Review and passages. I'll also be using NS materials. How about you guys?

August 6th here! Going to be applying next cycle, so no rush to take the thing in April, lol. Using the Kaplan On Demand prep course for my practice. It's unnecessarily hard, so hopefully I'm overprepared!

I'm using EK for content review substituting their psych book with TPR and adding Kaplan's BC. Also EK FLs for practice and TPR's unles TBR comes out with their their FL's in the next two months. Started practicing CARS since this month. Will start content review first week in May.

I'm planning on using EK and Kaplan (I have both of the book sets), but after hearing so much from people who took the test not being prepared idk if I should look into other materials as well...

Starting content review in about 2 weeks after my finals

August 6th! Lets do this guys! @allantois I like your selection of study materials. Has anyone on here heard of anything GOOD about the Kaplan MCAT Foundations of Biochemistry and Behavioural Sciences? Its pretty pricey, but then again what isin't in this whole process right?
Thanks for your feedback

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
August 6th! Lets do this guys! @allantois I like your selection of study materials. Has anyone on here heard of anything GOOD about the Kaplan MCAT Foundations of Biochemistry and Behavioural Sciences? Its pretty pricey, but then again what isin't in this whole process right?
Thanks for your feedback

I'm using the full Kaplan review set. I think between those and free materials like Khan Academy, most of the necessary subjects should be covered.

Hello hello! Aug 6th here. I plan on using TPR, EK, Khan (as needed) and a biochem supplement book. Has anybody gotten into the full swing of studying yet? I don't plan on starting until May, but I do need to draft a schedule.

I'm in for the 21st. I'm thinking the EK books as my base for content review, plus TBR to really hit bio/biochem hard, and maybe a supplemental psych book-- does anyone know which is the most comprehensive? Then I'll be using the EK FLs, and maybe the TPR ones... remains unclear. and maybe EK101 for verbal? seems to be well regarded.

My strategy will be to make Anki cards while reading the chapters and to spend 20-30 minutes every day reviewing past cards. Also keeping a "Lessons Learned" journal as described in the Next Step Tutor post. I should be pretty solid for content review, now I just need to find the best FLs to practice on.

As with most of yall, I'm waiting til May to study, which should give me about 15 weeks of solid preparation (giving myself a week or two of vacation time). I'm thinking 3-4 hours per day in May and June and then ramping up in July as the test draws nearer.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be honest, I'm a bit unsure about the quality of Kaplan practice questions. I had to email them twice today informing them of errors in the practice problems (and I thoroughly checked to make good and sure I wasn't just wrong and didn't understand the material).

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be honest, I'm a bit unsure about the quality of Kaplan practice questions. I had to email them twice today informing them of errors in the practice problems (and I thoroughly checked to make good and sure I wasn't just wrong and didn't understand the material).
Their Qbank is full of errors as well. Some answers explained well with reasons why wrong answers are wrong and then some passages have no explanations.

Their Qbank is full of errors as well. Some answers explained well with reasons why wrong answers are wrong and then some passages have no explanations.

Yeah.. Overall I'm probably better off not to give Kaplan's practice too much weight - should be good for testing strategy and to get me thinking of the content, but not an accurate indicator of performance. I've been told the Kaplan stuff is more difficult that the AAMC stuff from people who have done both.

Is anyone else with an August date applying this cycle?
I am! I know its late in the cycle, but I got accepted into the MedSci program at UNTHSC and they recommended us to wait till August to take the MCAT since they offer a prep course in the summer. I already took the MCAT last year so my plan is to submit with my current score and update my application once my August scores come in.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey, I am applying for the 2016 cycle, and I am registered to take the MCAT August 5th, do you think it's late for me to take it and try to apply for the 2016 cycle?

Hi guys! also writing on aug 22! officially starting my prep on may 1, just gathering all the material and setting up a study schedule before that. I plan on using kaplan 2015 + psych from princeton, as well FLs from princeton. I also have EK and BR materials from the old mcat that i will be using.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else with an August date applying this cycle?
Im with u... lets do it!!! Still applying in june w/o mcat score and when taking in august it will transfer scores over automatically. Read in other threads people applying early and taking mcat in august without problems. Dont get discouraged...:highfive:

Reactions: 4 users
Officially done with finals! Time to figure out my schedule and start next week, so scared..

I've been trying to formulate my study schedule. I never thought I'd feel so overwhelmed :arghh: So many chapters, so many books, and so much material. Is anyone starting soon or have their study plan laid out?

I've been trying to formulate my study schedule. I never thought I'd feel so overwhelmed :arghh: So many chapters, so many books, and so much material. Is anyone starting soon or have their study plan laid out?

I have started using PR 2015 and amcas practice exams. when are you planning on taking the exam and or you applying this cycle? Applications open tomorrow!!!:nailbiting: The cycle has begun;)

So I started today using mcatjelly's guide (only doing one chapter per day) and oh boy am I getting all Physics questions wrong despite Physics being my favorite pre-requisite :(

I'm using mcatjelly's guide too! Except I'm not doing TBR passages because I don't have them...I think I'm going to lack practice passages/problems

I'm using mcatjelly's guide too! Except I'm not doing TBR passages because I don't have them...I think I'm going to lack practice passages/problems

You can do Khan, I would not do TBR Physics or Chem passages anyway as they are unlikely to be high yield; except for bio, maybe.

So I started today using mcatjelly's guide (only doing one chapter per day) and oh boy am I getting all Physics questions wrong despite Physics being my favorite pre-requisite :(

I hear you:sorry:, im starting with biochem since Im taking that class as we speak. Are you going to apply this cycle?

I hear you:sorry:, im starting with biochem since Im taking that class as we speak. Are you going to apply this cycle?

I'm applying next cycle so there's no pressure on me here. I pretty much have to relearn biochem as it was the most useless class with the most useless professor that I ever took. Oh, and did I mention my gen bio class had no anatomy/physiology whatsoever.

I have started using PR 2015 and amcas practice exams. when are you planning on taking the exam and or you applying this cycle? Applications open tomorrow!!!:nailbiting: The cycle has begun;)
I'll be applying next cycle, so thankfully I am only stressing about finals right now. I'm also using mcatjelly's schedule (a modified version of using TPR). I feel like I have a good amount of materials for content review, but I'm worried about actual exam practice.

Hey, what is everyone in here using for practice out of curiosity? Also applying next cycle, not sure if I mentioned that earlier or not.

I'll be applying next cycle, so thankfully I am only stressing about finals right now. I'm also using mcatjelly's schedule (a modified version of using TPR). I feel like I have a good amount of materials for content review, but I'm worried about actual exam practice.

You can order practice exams through amcas

You can order practice exams through amcas
AAMC only has one FL released right now. So I'll probably end up supplementing with a mix and match of FL's from a few test prep companies; that way I can save the single 'official' practice test for later in my study schedule.