The Official August 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsantav

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration opens up sometime today so I thought I'd go ahead and make this thread. Anyone else taking it in August?

Members don't see this ad.

It's judgmental of me to think so, but ... I can't help but imagine that people who score 98-100th percentile on the hard sciences but bomb CARS are the 4.0 automatons Goro talks about. It's like they start to short out when asked to understand other humans.

Maybe that's why they have CARS on there and why schools specifically look at the CARS score when checking an applicant's MCAT. They joke that really high MCAT scores correlate with weirdness.. perhaps CARS alerts people to that beforehand. I don't have any data on this so it could all be anecdotal though.

Reactions: 1 user
It's judgmental of me to think so, but ... I can't help but imagine that people who score 98-100th percentile on the hard sciences but bomb CARS are the 4.0 automatons Goro talks about. It's like they start to short out when asked to understand other humans.

People who are that smart don't pursue medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
TPR FL average: ~500ish
AAMC FL: overall 75%
Real Deal: 129/129/128/128 - 514(91%) (was shooting for a 508-510)
Don't be discouraged by mediocre practice test scores fellow test takers! Always stay grounded and remember that as long as you practice enough, you'll be okay come test day. Good luck!

Great job!!!!
Your practice test sound just like mine... I am shooting for 512. I just hope psych won't bail on me. 13 more days

Does anybody know if an unbalanced AAMC FL score leads to a lower than predicted actual score?

I'm asking because I got a 73% overall on the AAMC FL but my section scores vary from a 49% in C/P to a 90% in P/S. I wrote on 9/12.

I really want a 508 but now I feel that's out of reach and that the predictor will be way off like it was for some people. I feel like I'll end up with a sub 500 score.

Does anybody know if an unbalanced AAMC FL score leads to a lower than predicted actual score?

I'm asking because I got a 73% overall on the AAMC FL but my section scores vary from a 49% in C/P to a 90% in P/S. I wrote on 9/12.

I really want a 508 but now I feel that's out of reach and that the predictor will be way off like it was for some people. I feel like I'll end up with a sub 500 score.
Were you doing fine on your practice tests? I was consistently around the low 500s in kaplan and tpr practice test in the last month and ended up with a 509.

Were you doing fine on your practice tests? I was consistently around the low 500s in kaplan and tpr practice test in the last month and ended up with a 509.

Congrats on your score!

I prepped with EK and wasn't doing too hot on them (mid 50s I think). I learned a lot from EK though and did 3 FLs from them. They were really hard (I did well on CARS and P/S on them though).

I also used EK 101 passages to prep for cars and averaged ~10 (old scale) on 11 tests (1 hour CARS). They were also harder than the AAMC FL.

My AAMC FL breakdown:
C/P: 49%
CARS: 85%
B/B: 68%
P/S: 90%

Thank you for calming me down!

Last edited:
C/P - 126
CARS - 127
B/B - 125
P/S - 129

GPA - 3.7 with a lot of leadership/extracurriculars/research and volunteering

Any thoughts about DO/MD?

C/P - 126
CARS - 127
B/B - 125
P/S - 129

GPA - 3.7 with a lot of leadership/extracurriculars/research and volunteering

Any thoughts about DO/MD?

the data in this link is what I think is key (charts starting on page 13). It looks to me like the risk band really starts at 29 mcat. Your 507 is either a 29 or 30 depending on who you believe and you have confidence bands of 505-509. I know I would be a little concerned (if I had a 125 in my mix) but according to the charts I point to the chances of you completing med school step 1 exam and finishing in 4 years is very high. In the end that's what I think is important and yours/mine application will be reviewed for their worthiness. Definitely state school on MD side.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/267622/data/mcatstudentselectionguide.pdf

Hey all,
Late to this thread, but I ended up with an unbalanced score:
C/P = 132 (100%)
CARS = 123 (33%)
B/BC = 131 (98%)
P/S = 132 (100%)
Total = 518 (97%)
AAMC FL: CP 93/ CARS 87/ BBC 85/ PS 88

Congratulations on some outstanding science scores. It's no surprise you did so well, as you were able to explain anything and everything prior to your exam. I was hoping you would do well, and you were far beyond that.

I honestly don't get what went wrong with CARS, which I worked hardest on apart from psych

That exam can be an absolute crapshoot. I have seen more oddity with that section over the years than any other. Scores three above what a student expected to scores three below what a student expected are reasonably common. I wouldn't lose sleep over that score for the time being.

So is this going to keep me out of US MD schools? Will I need to retake? GPA is 3.7/3.7 from top 30, with extensive volunteering and research (already 1500+ hrs; will start soon at NIH) and at least 4 solid LORs. Part of me really wants to pursue an MD/PhD in biomedical engineering or biochemistry; would I stand much of a chance for that? At the NIH, I'm going to be working in an MRI lab, if that matters.

As mentioned in a previous post, you really should contact each individual school you are considering. For some schools you will be fine. For others, they will screen you out based on that one low score, despite the three other outstanding ones. Whether you retake it should depend on that feedback. If less than half of the schools say you'll be harmed by that section, then you're good. If more than half say it's an issue, then guess what you'll be doing in January?

Members don't see this ad :)
Three for me... just got done recently
Three days only? I understand it can take up to six weeks, especially that AMCAS says they're at their peak now. If mine takes six weeks, my application would be late to my top school choice. I hope really it'll be done by next week. I didn't think of these things when I planned on taking a Sept. MCAT.

Anybody from august mcat got an interview yet? I havent
Two. Aug 5, 510. 3 MCAT taker. The SDN'ers said it was impossible - an August test date and three MCAT's? Interviewing at Jefferson and Toledo, both MD. Under review at 16 other schools. No rejections (yet).

Those who read this and are discouraged by SDN gunners: know they in fact know very little, and cannot predict the future. Don't let them limit you, and most importantly, don't limit yourself. Good luck, Team August 2015 MCAT Takers!

Reactions: 7 users
Two. Aug 5, 510. 3 MCAT taker. The SDN'ers said it was impossible - an August test date and three MCAT's? Interviewing at Jefferson and Toledo, both MD. Under review at 16 other schools. No rejections (yet).

Those who read this and are discouraged by SDN gunners: know they in fact know very little, and cannot predict the future. Don't let them limit you, and most importantly, don't limit yourself. Good luck, Team August 2015 MCAT Takers!

Congrats dude! Way to go

Congrats! I also applied to Jefferson. No interviews yet though.

To anyone who is considering retaking: You can actually do it. I promise. I was in your position not too long ago and after hours upon hours upon HOURS of work, I'd like to think I've succeeded.

Also forums like SDN and Reddit are definitely helpful but at times I found that they actually did a lot more harm than good sometimes. Spend a day or two on your attack plan and then JUST DO IT. There's no need to spend all that time looking for the best study advice because there's no one in the world that knows yourself than yourself. In fact, all the study advice out there is great but no one can incorporate all of it. I was one of those persons who tried to do everything but in the end just got overwhelmed until I came to this realization.

A final piece of advice: Trust yourself.

I was going to void a 518 but I convinced myself that all the work I put in has to mean something. I pondered for 3 minutes and clicked "Score" and never looked back. This test is predictable. The amount of work you put in is DIRECTLY proportional to your score if you exclude extenuating circumstances. Ask anyone this and they will say it's true.

Thank you for everyone on this thread for all the support over the past couple months. You guys helped me crack a smile here and there when I needed it most. I wish you guys the best. :D

Reactions: 4 users
To anyone who is considering retaking: You can actually do it. I promise. I was in your position not too long ago and after hours upon hours upon HOURS of work, I'd like to think I've succeeded.

Also forums like SDN and Reddit are definitely helpful but at times I found that they actually did a lot more harm than good sometimes. Spend a day or two on your attack plan and then JUST DO IT. There's no need to spend all that time looking for the best study advice because there's no one in the world that knows yourself than yourself. In fact, all the study advice out there is great but no one can incorporate all of it. I was one of those persons who tried to do everything but in the end just got overwhelmed until I came to this realization.

A final piece of advice: Trust yourself.

I was going to void a 518 but I convinced myself that all the work I put in has to mean something. I pondered for 3 minutes and clicked "Score" and never looked back. This test is predictable. The amount of work you put in is DIRECTLY proportional to your score if you exclude extenuating circumstances. Ask anyone this and they will say it's true.

Thank you for everyone on this thread for all the support over the past couple months. You guys helped me crack a smile here and there when I needed it most. I wish you guys the best. :D

how many times did you end up taking it (for a score)?

Swollcat: I felt good after January, and got a 24. And then also felt good about my test in August, and got a 510. It's about preparation, not feeling.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow that's a lot of will power man. I also took the January exam and did poorly. I remember feeling horribly after the first one and much better after the retake (still awaiting the score). How did you feel coming out of the test you did well on? Do you think post-exam feelings are in any way an indicator of outcome?

I knew I did well on the sciences, it was CARS that worried me because I thought I really bombed it. I was retaking for CARS. Post-exam feelings aren't accurate at all. For me, every day that went by made me think my score was worse and worse. It's out of your hands. Ignorance is bliss.

Congratulations on some outstanding science scores. It's no surprise you did so well, as you were able to explain anything and everything prior to your exam. I was hoping you would do well, and you were far beyond that.

That exam can be an absolute crapshoot. I have seen more oddity with that section over the years than any other. Scores three above what a student expected to scores three below what a student expected are reasonably common. I wouldn't lose sleep over that score for the time being.

As mentioned in a previous post, you really should contact each individual school you are considering. For some schools you will be fine. For others, they will screen you out based on that one low score, despite the three other outstanding ones. Whether you retake it should depend on that feedback. If less than half of the schools say you'll be harmed by that section, then you're good. If more than half say it's an issue, then guess what you'll be doing in January?

Thanks for the great advice! I'll do exactly that and individually ask different schools. If I do need to retake, should I be hoping for 129-130 in the sciences and a better (127) CARS? Would lower science scores be detrimental? Also, in your opinion, would I have much of a chance at MD-PhD, which I believe look more at sciences? There's a good chance I could have a co-author paper at my current NIH lab as well since my project is independent. Thanks again for your advice. :)

Is anyone else still debating or on the fence about a retake?

I'm taking a large courseload now, but if I lightly review this semester and studying intensely during winter/spring, I could take April and still apply this cycle. Would that be a safe bet, since I want to be sure I come up significantly from a 513 to validate a retake? tbh I feel like I still remember a lot, and my courses this fall/spring are very MCAT related (chem bio, physorg, biophysics, adv. cell bio, health socio...).

/shrugs

I'm taking a large courseload now, but if I lightly review this semester and studying intensely during winter/spring, I could take April and still apply this cycle. Would that be a safe bet, since I want to be sure I come up significantly from a 513 to validate a retake? tbh I feel like I still remember a lot, and my courses this fall/spring are very MCAT related (chem bio, physorg, biophysics, adv. cell bio, health socio...).

/shrugs

513 is great but looking at your breakdown the only thing you'll probably see significant yields in is psych. A bit more studying there and you can definitely increase your overall score. That is, assuming you can keep the rest of your scores the same or do even better. That's the gamble you take by retaking. If you're confident in the other 3 sections, by all means put everything into psych/soc and take another jab at it.

513 is great but looking at your breakdown the only thing you'll probably see significant yields in is psych. A bit more studying there and you can definitely increase your overall score. That is, assuming you can keep the rest of your scores the same or do even better. That's the gamble you take by retaking. If you're confident in the other 3 sections, by all means put everything into psych/soc and take another jab at it.
What was his/her score breakdown? Can't find it.

513 (130/128/129/126)
I think a retake would be super non- advised. That is the kind of thing that will get you slapped silly Goro.

While the P/S is on the lower end, it's in no way a bad score, especially given the overall score.

The chance of doing comparatively worse is also too high.

Somebody help me PLEASE!
When listing AP/IB credits earned for the ACCOMAS application, do you put them as high school semesters that they were earned in or are they all grouped into the 1st Freshman semester of college like AMCAS??? I looked everywhere to find out! :help:Thank you in advance!

It's in the AACOMAS instructions..... If you were awarded credit by your degree conferring institution, go ahead and list it with your freshman first quarter/semester classes.

/shrugs
good luck, i'm in the same boat..

I haven't been on this tread since we received our scores back in September.

...but today I have some news for you guys. ACCEPTED TO PODIATRY SCHOOL :soexcited:

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone applying this cycle? If this year doesn't work out, next year will be my last chance before my MCAT expires. Here's hoping I get in the first time around.

I am. Just got an interview invite this morning and another one a couple of weeks ago. Super excited! I'm a Texas resident and am applying through TMDSAS. Good luck to everyone!