The Official August 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsantav

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration opens up sometime today so I thought I'd go ahead and make this thread. Anyone else taking it in August?

Members don't see this ad.

SUPER helpful. I didn't even open a review book for the last 3 months because of them. Just ended up memorizing the quick sheets, and kept taking FL after FL. Honestly everything you need to know is in there with the exception of a few nitty gritty details like the AA's and some of the Psych stuff, but aside from that I'd highly recommend.

Literally like 98% of everything you ever need to know. I wish I would have just studied from that, could have spent my time taking more tests.

Thanks! I used next step's new scale and mcat jelly's scale and got 516 with both of those. And 511 by next step's old scale... I just wish AAMC would come out with an official conversion already.
Where did you find NS old scale? I cant seem to find on their site

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone explain question 52 on physical science of aamc full length? Thanks

SPOILER ALERT:

it was just plug and chug my friend. E=hf. In the passage they describe the energy as 140keV, so the frequency is (140*10^3)(1.6*10^-19)/(6.6*10^-34)=3.39*10^-19. My guess is you probably just forgot to factor in the charge of an electron.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is that their projection for the AAMC FL or any FL in general? If so, it's really generous.

That's what Next Step claims to think the AAMC scale is supposed to be based off data that was released from AAMC. I mean it kinda makes sense tho. If you look at past CBT's from 3-11, the scales are really variable. I remember seeing that on AAMC 11 you could have gotten 36 out of 52 and still end up with a 10 on that specific exam. It's weird because they usually give a more lenient curve to the Bios, and harsher ones to Chem/phys and CARS

Where can I get these famous Kaplan quicksheets? I'm not having much luck with google

EDIT just found em

Last edited:
That's what Next Step claims to think the AAMC scale is supposed to be based off data that was released from AAMC. I mean it kinda makes sense tho. If you look at past CBT's from 3-11, the scales are really variable. I remember seeing that on AAMC 11 you could have gotten 36 out of 52 and still end up with a 10 on that specific exam. It's weird because they usually give a more lenient curve to the Bios, and harsher ones to Chem/phys and CARS

Well it claims that my 29/59 on AAMC FL is a 125. I really doubt that.

Well it claims that my 29/59 on AAMC FL is a 125. I really doubt that.

honestly who even knows at this point lol. I feel like it's all speculation until they actually release scales for the practice exam we have and the one they'll probably release later in the year.

honestly who even knows at this point lol. I feel like it's all speculation until they actually release scales for the practice exam we have and the one they'll probably release later in the year.

Odd thing is honestly. I wouldn't be surprise if the scale is somewhat inflated... My friend had like a 124 Bio and 123 C/P average for Kaplan tests for the April test. He got a 129+ on C/P and a 127 on Bio on the real test.... Lol

For real though. The more tests I take the less idea I have about how I'm doing compared to the actual official scores :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that their projection for the AAMC FL or any FL in general? If so, it's really generous.
That is NS's new scale and my friend had access to the old scale somehow, I think he asked NS to email it to him. Also, I was thinking the same thing that this new NS scale is very generous, but it matches up for the most part with mcat jelly's scale which most people have agreed is pretty accurate. Another thing, if you look at the people that scored 80% + on the AAMC FL they normally scored around the 515 range on the actual thing according to the compilation spreadsheet. So, I think it might be safe to use, but obviously I am not putting all of my faith into it completely until AAMC comes out with an official scale.

Slept for about 7-8 hours today but I'm already so tired. Also just did 7 Khan Academy Passages. Got about 55-60% right overall. Those are wayyyyyyy tougher than AAMC. Literally every question was about a nit picky detail.

Doing AAMC Bio Q pack 2 now.

Reactions: 1 user
Here is TBR's conversion from the back of their books.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 74
Seems like NS's scale is pretty generous which makes me feel worse about my FL scores! I don't think I'll really have a good idea of how I'm doing until I take the aamc FL

Seems like NS's scale is pretty generous which makes me feel worse about my FL scores! I don't think I'll really have a good idea of how I'm doing until I take the aamc FL
Dont worry, I never did better than 509 (71%) on any NS test and ended up getting 82% on AAMC. The NS tests are still more difficult IMO. Which makes me think the updated NS scale is correct bc I think I read somewhere that a 70% was a 30 on the old MCAT and a 30 on the new one is 508/509 and for a 71% they gave me 509 which is consistent with that logic. Might be a stretch though... maybe it was a coincidence?

Dont worry, I never did better than 509 (71%) on any NS test and ended up getting 82% on AAMC. The NS tests are still more difficult IMO.
Good job! that is a little reassuring. Which NS exams did you take and how did you do on the rest of them if you don't mind me asking?

I've taken 4 so far and got 507,502,504,504

Wait similar to TPR? Is this scale for FLs?

If so, then Kaplan's scale must be even harsher...Those # correct don't match up with Kaplan.

Never mind, they actually have a really rough bio scale. I remember getting a 35/59 once on a TPR section for bio and that was a 124. But it would be like a 125 in C/P. Really odd because on the old MCAT, the PS section used to be infamous for having a rough curve and BS section for ~56% was often an 8 which is like a 125. I personally kind of wish mcatjelly did the conversion based on AAMC 9-11. It's arguable that AAMC 3-8 scales are too outdated. Nonetheless, his probably gives better variability and is more accurate (possibly).

Good job! that is a little reassuring. Which NS exams did you take and how did you do on the rest of them if you don't mind me asking?

I've taken 4 so far and got 507,502,504,504
I only took 2 of them 3 and 4 and just some section test from 1 and 2, the section tests I took a while ago and don't really remember but I got 505 on 3 and 509 on 4. Also, I got 502 on Kaplan 3, 501 Kaplan 4, 65% average combined between all 4 EK tests.

I wish they offered different exam times....like later in the day! I feel like i'm sharper and more focused in the afternoon lol

C/P - 39/59 (66%)
CARS - 35/53 (66%)
B/BCH - 47/59 (80%)
PSYCH - 39/59 (66%)

Does anyone know the conversions? Looking to get in 505-510 range and take it August 6th. Honestly so ready to get this test over with...

WHERE DO I GET MY HANDS ON THE KAPLAN QUICK SHEETS??????? I WILL CONVERT TO THE KAPLAN RELIGION IF I HAVE TO :bow:

Funny thing is I recognized the quick sheets once I saw them on amazon and remembered I got a free copy of them from when Kaplan was tabling outside one of my lectures freshman year.... This was years ago.... I think they're somewhere in my house so I guess the hunt will begin the next time I go home lol

the quick sheets are part of the package you get when you sign up for the class; there might be some for sale in other places but I have not looked.

I have a copy of the old quicksheets, but it's definitely changed now for the new MCAT. I got my friend to take pictures and send them to me lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow jk, I do have these with my kaplan set, I never thought to look at them before. Looking at them now and thinking about all the time I've spent reading and taking notes in the past few months when I could have been doing more passages or FLs and my reaction is this:
-____________________________-

I only took 2 of them 3 and 4 and just some section test from 1 and 2, the section tests I took a while ago and don't really remember but I got 505 on 3 and 509 on 4. Also, I got 502 on Kaplan 3, 501 Kaplan 4, 65% average combined between all 4 EK tests.
I just took NS4 and got a 502 with their more generous new scale. Using their old scale, that would be 494. I was lost most of the time that I felt so defeated!