The Official August 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsantav

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration opens up sometime today so I thought I'd go ahead and make this thread. Anyone else taking it in August?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, just want to add that if you're having trouble with chem or physics (especially), the one thing that I did that actually really helped me was I literally dedicated one full day to rewriting the equations non-stop. I probably wrote all of them 10x over within that day and the next day my raw scores increased. After that, the rest is just literally practice. Thankfully, the chem/phys section is the one section that I think can actually be easily improved. Verbal is a totally different story.

For bio, I'm convinced you basically just have to be a human encyclopedia and just be really good at analyzing data tables and experimental trends. Same thing for Pysch/Soc

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone getting stumped by test passages? I'm getting the content down for Kaplan (taking notes, flashcards to review, etc.), yet here's what happened to me:

Took Ch. 1 Gen Chem review questions (20 questions) and made a 40% before studying. After studying appropriately, I took the test again (several days later.) Made a 35%. That was a blow to my confidence and now I'm kinda freaking out...

Did you really understand the content, or did you get lucky with your answers? I realize sometimes when I do the Kaplan end of chapter questions, I answer questions using faulty logic and get the question right—even though my thought process is wrong. Maybe that's what happened? You can improve, just analyze why you got it wrong and it'll stick with you the next time you answer a similar question.

Also, just want to add that if you're having trouble with chem or physics (especially), the one thing that I did that actually really helped me was I literally dedicated one full day to rewriting the equations non-stop. I probably wrote all of them 10x over within that day and the next day my raw scores increased. After that, the rest is just literally practice. Thankfully, the chem/phys section is the one section that I think can actually be easily improved. Verbal is a totally different story.

For bio, I'm convinced you basically just have to be a human encyclopedia and just be really good at analyzing data tables and experimental trends. Same thing for Pysch/Soc

For the Physics/Chem equations, I just though about how they were derived from basic formulas, especially for Archimedes Principle, the kinematic equations, and Bernoulli's equation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you really understand the content, or did you get lucky with your answers? I realize sometimes when I do the Kaplan end of chapter questions, I answer questions using faulty logic and get the question right—even though my thought process is wrong. Maybe that's what happened? You can improve, just analyze why you got it wrong and it'll stick with you the next time you answer a similar question.
I understand the logic (to the extent of what they teach) and make 13/15 or 14/15's on the end of the chapter reviews. Then I try the online test and it is 10x harder than what is at the end of the chapter. I guess I'll read their reasoning (for what I got right and wrong) and go through the chapter again.

If it means anything, I took gen chem and physics over the summer (not at the same time), so I went into "memorization" mode to make the grade, rather than learning it.

I understand the logic (to the extent of what they teach) and make 13/15 or 14/15's on the end of the chapter reviews. Then I try the online test and it is 10x harder than what is at the end of the chapter. I guess I'll read their reasoning (for what I got right and wrong) and go through the chapter again.

If it means anything, I took gen chem and physics over the summer (not at the same time), so I went into "memorization" mode to make the grade, rather than learning it.

I didn't learn jack from my undergrad gen chem class; the professor I had made the class super easy with the amount of bonuses he gave, but taking upper level chem classes has really helped with the gen chem stuff–especially taking biochem and orgo.

Are you talking about the Kaplan FL exams? if you are, then they are wayyy harder and their logic can sometimes be debated. I took TPR course test 2 the other day and scored a 128/124/127/127=506. Highest I've gotten on Kaplan was a 503, which was their diagnostic, and I've been getting rocked on their section tests (I'm not sure if these are meant to be harder or something, but I've been seeing a lot of fluctuations in my scores for the section exams 8-11).

Also, I compared my raw scores between a couple tests between Kaplan and TPR and I noticed that they honestly didn't change, and for some reason Kaplan's scales are a little harsher (i.e. a 43/59 equates to a 126 in Kaplan, but TPR rewards you with a 127). At the end of the day, I've just been powering through the Kaplan and TPR exams strictly for covering content, and will probably move towards EK and Nextstep later on since I've heard better things about those FL's

Does anyone else have trouble with their logic on practice tests? I've been going through all the EK chapters and know the material. Most of the questions I've been missing on their 30 min exams are based on passage material.

Just signed up for the 22nd. I'm retaking a 28 (10/8/10) so hopefully a little more than two months will be plenty of time.

My current materials:

Not specifically for MCAT 2015:
-Entire TPR set (science workbook/hyperlearning verbal workbook and bio/physics/chem review books)
-EK 101 verbal
-EK 1001 bio

MCAT 2015:
-The Official Guide to the MCAT Exam
-Official MCAT2015 Sample Test
-Online Practice Questions from The Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (MCAT2015)
-Bio/Chem/Physics/CARS Question Pack

I'll most likely go through the outline AAMC posted and review everything on it until the end of June and then from there I will go through all the Khan videos & passages starting July. I'll most likely save all the MCAT 2015 AAMC material until mid July after I've exhausted all other resources and then take the Sample Test two weeks prior to the test day.

I have two questions:
1) do you guys think I should even bother with the TPR science/verbal workbook and EK verbal/bio passages & questions since they're "out-dated"?
2) Are there any other resources you guys would recommend that previous 2015 MCAT test takers have claimed to be helpful?

Just signed up for the 22nd. I'm retaking a 28 (10/8/10) so hopefully a little more than two months will be plenty of time.

My current materials:

Not specifically for MCAT 2015:
-Entire TPR set (science workbook/hyperlearning verbal workbook and bio/physics/chem review books)
-EK 101 verbal
-EK 1001 bio

MCAT 2015:
-The Official Guide to the MCAT Exam
-Official MCAT2015 Sample Test
-Online Practice Questions from The Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (MCAT2015)
-Bio/Chem/Physics/CARS Question Pack

I'll most likely go through the outline AAMC posted and review everything on it until the end of June and then from there I will go through all the Khan videos & passages starting July. I'll most likely save all the MCAT 2015 AAMC material until mid July after I've exhausted all other resources and then take the Sample Test two weeks prior to the test day.

I have two questions:
1) do you guys think I should even bother with the TPR science/verbal workbook and EK verbal/bio passages & questions since they're "out-dated"?
2) Are there any other resources you guys would recommend that previous 2015 MCAT test takers have claimed to be helpful?

I think the TPR verbal workbook is still good for practice since the CARS section isn't much different from the old Verbal section.

I know it's a long way for us but knowing that May percentiles will be released tomorrow makes me anxious...

Hahaha our time will come.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't learn jack from my undergrad gen chem class; the professor I had made the class super easy with the amount of bonuses he gave, but taking upper level chem classes has really helped with the gen chem stuff–especially taking biochem and orgo.
I learned a lot more gen chem from my biochem course than I did from the summer. And I went in cocky, being that I made a 101% in high school chemistry honors (yeah, I'm kicking myself really hard to this day for thinking that. Also, the reason I thought that was because I took it the summer before freshman year.) So now I'm playing makeup for gen chem. Physics I can handle because I came into that summer class better equipped and with a better attitude...

Are you talking about the Kaplan FL exams? if you are, then they are wayyy harder and their logic can sometimes be debated. I took TPR course test 2 the other day and scored a 128/124/127/127=506. Highest I've gotten on Kaplan was a 503, which was their diagnostic, and I've been getting rocked on their section tests (I'm not sure if these are meant to be harder or something, but I've been seeing a lot of fluctuations in my scores for the section exams 8-11).

Also, I compared my raw scores between a couple tests between Kaplan and TPR and I noticed that they honestly didn't change, and for some reason Kaplan's scales are a little harsher (i.e. a 43/59 equates to a 126 in Kaplan, but TPR rewards you with a 127). At the end of the day, I've just been powering through the Kaplan and TPR exams strictly for covering content, and will probably move towards EK and Nextstep later on since I've heard better things about those FL's
I'm talking about the 15 questions at the end of each chapter of the new 2015 books. Really easy if you glanced over the material

Am I the only one who's fallen really behind in content review? I'm taking spring classes and working. It's so hard to get to studying after a shower and eating.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not doing too well on the 30 min. biology EK tests. When I read the passage, I don't understand what's going on. I read the passage multiple times and I still don't understand the passage or the data tables. Please help. Getting a 14/23.

Not doing too well on the 30 min. biology EK tests. When I read the passage, I don't understand what's going on. I read the passage multiple times and I still don't understand the passage or the data tables. Please help. Getting a 14/23.

Dont worry about understanding whats going on, you dont get points for how well you understand the passage, you get points for getting questions right. So just skim through the passage get the main idea and just have a general understanding of whats going on. Then spend more time in the questions going back to the part the questions is asking about.

F*** me, I read @mcatjelly's study plan wrong (Kaplan version). Thought there was only one subject/day, but there are two (e.g. I did chemistry one day, then biochem the next, but in reality I was supposed to do them together.) Anyone else having trouble doing all the content review in a day? I work 25 hours/week and work out 1.5 hours a day to keep myself sane.

EDIT: I also hang out with friends (or try to haha) at least once a week because I need to socialize. My girlfriend is 7 hours away taking summer classes back at home before moving into her apartment down at my university. We text all day and skype each night for an hour but it isn't enough. I love socializing with people.

Last edited:
Ridiculous, but going on 6th week of content review (mind you I had to learn physiology and metabolism for the first time ever), and will probably need another 2 weeks for content.

I wrote my own version of mcatjelly's schedule and I do one subject per day. I work 40 hours a week in my lab however and it is getting very hard to stay motivated to study once I get home. I may just have to study in the mornings before I even leave. Content review is just soooo boooorinngggg

I am reserving a seat for 8/5. I am retaking the exam. I received my preliminary percentiles and they are mediocre. Not the score I need to get into the medical schools I will be applying to. I plan to apply with my current score and send personal emails to the admission departments of the schools I am applying to so that I can inform them of my goal to retake. My current score may be enough to at least get secondaries but, realistically, I doubt will be enough to gain admission. However, if I receive my scores by September (only a month after they begin to interview), I can inform the schools again of my updated score and hopefully they will take another look and review with my new credentials (including more time with my second research project, shadowing, and volunteering at a local hospital). It is difficult because I work at night and do research 3 days out of the week but I will tell you all something. When you want something so bad that it is all you can think about, you do whatever it takes. Good luck to all of you applying this cycle and next cycle, it is a beast of an exam but it is conquerable. Be strategic while studying and really make a realistic schedule. Also, spend more time practicing questions and learning how to take the exam. Not much free standing information required to do well on this, just know how to interpret data and critically analyze!

F*** me, I read @mcatjelly's study plan wrong (Kaplan version). Thought there was only one subject/day, but there are two (e.g. I did chemistry one day, then biochem the next, but in reality I was supposed to do them together.) Anyone else having trouble doing all the content review in a day? I work 25 hours/week and work out 1.5 hours a day to keep myself sane.

EDIT: I also hang out with friends (or try to haha) at least once a week because I need to socialize. My girlfriend is 7 hours away taking summer classes back at home before moving into her apartment down at my university. We text all day and skype each night for an hour but it isn't enough. I love socializing with people.

I'd kill to only be working 25 hours a week. Try 40+.

Are you guys mostly done with content review? I'm about halfway through (I read the ch and do accompanying passages together) but I feel like I'm so behind. Definitely far further back than where I wanted to be back when I stupidly thought I could do 2 chapters and accompanying passages a day on top of work. I did lose about a week of studying with things that came up that were out of my control, but still.

I'm afraid I won't finish in time to properly take FL's and review them before the 8/22 exam. Everyone else seems so much more ahead of me but truly, I couldn't go any faster.

Also, I hate physics passages.

@FutureSurgical You're not alone, I definitely can't do the 2 ch's/accompanying passages in a day with working. I applaud anyone who can because them being the inventor of a time machine is the only explanation.

I also haven't been practicing for CARS yet, maybe I will pick up that Game of Thrones book on my nightstand that's been collecting dust and pretend like reading it will help me with comprehension

Are you guys mostly done with content review? I'm about halfway through (I read the ch and do accompanying passages together) but I feel like I'm so behind. Definitely far further back than where I wanted to be back when I stupidly thought I could do 2 chapters and accompanying passages a day on top of work. I did lose about a week of studying with things that came up that were out of my control, but still.

I'm afraid I won't finish in time to properly take FL's and review them before the 8/22 exam. Everyone else seems so much more ahead of me but truly, I couldn't go any faster.

Also, I hate physics passages.

@FutureSurgical You're not alone, I definitely can't do the 2 ch's/accompanying passages in a day with working. I applaud anyone who can because them being the inventor of a time machine is the only explanation.

I still have three more weeks of content review, so I'm only a little more than halfway done. I'll be taking my first FL at the end of this month. I'm planning on taking about 7 FLs before the 8/22 test and I'm still pretty much on schedule.

I had a baby 7 weeks ago.. and taking my MCAT for the first time on 08/22.
Not so much of a bad situation. Biology, Psych and Socio are going smooth.
Physics, Chemistry and Math are draining me. I am still on first pass...:)
Hubby's helping me with physics and math stuff plus the Diaper changing...:)

I had a baby 7 weeks ago.. and taking my MCAT for the first time on 08/22.
Not so much of a bad situation. Biology, Psych and Socio are going smooth.
Physics, Chemistry and Math are draining me. I am still on first pass...:)
Hubby's helping me with physics and math stuff plus the Diaper changing...:)

Congratulations!

Im taking Biochem this summer is that wise....

yes and no.

No, in that biochem courses are usually hard and will take a considerable amount of time to do well in (taking away from MCAT studying)

Yes, in that you'll probably learn a lot of the biochem/gen-chem/orgo/bio that actually applies to the new mcat.

I say its a 50/50

Hello! Hope everyone is doing well in preparing for the MCAT.

I just want to ask how all of you are studying bio and biochem. Are you memorizing every single detail or just reading everything once and hoping the passages in the actual exam would be of help? I'm going to start with them both in around 3 weeks, and by then I'd have 7 weeks left till Test Day. I've taken a biochem course and one on the different body systems, but I'm a bit scared because this way more than a year ago, and I barely remember anything.

I've already finished physics and intend to finish psyc and chem within the next 3 weeks. I hae a really good background in these topics, so I'm not really as stressed out over them as with biochem, for instance. For CARS, I'm just going to solve the 3 practice tests available from Kaplan and the practice test from AAMC, as well as the question packs from AAMC.

Last edited:
On top of Karim's post, are you guys taking notes while reading the content? TBR goes into great detail and I have been taking notes, but this takes way too long.

On top of Karim's post, are you guys taking notes while reading the content? TBR goes into great detail and I have been taking notes, but this takes way too long.

Taking notes is an enormous waste of time. Get through your content and take practice tests. What you don't know go back and then MAYBE take notes.

I've been taking notes, I already know that if I just read it will go straight through me and I won't retain anything. I'm trying to limit my notes as much as possible to information I don't already know, I am not comfortable with, or that is very important.

Is anybody else getting brutalized by physics? It's a subject that has never been my strong suit, but honestly I dread even looking at my physics book. Any clues on how to retain and understand the material better without wanting to throw a tantrum and roll on the floor crying?

I feel the same way. Content review is so boring, I just want to move on and start focusing on practice tests and passages. Unfortunately I still have like two more weeks of content review.

I started practicing before finishing content review ( still finishing now the pysch and bio sections - first time round) and not quite solidified even the other sections.
and these my scores on the

AAMC FL - 55-60%
Kaplan FL 1 - 498
kaplan diagnostic - 490 ish
NS Diagnostic - 504
GS diagnostic - 488

So I am averaging a 50% percentile. obviously long way to go...
The downside of doing it this way is that its hard to stay motivated...and scores are not really representative
Upside is that FLs are less scary and you get a feel for questions

I've been taking the physics material for the MCAT for more than 6 years now (it's the same as the physics I took in middle school then repeated a number of times in high school and university), so content review is not really that difficult for me. However, I've tried a couple of passage-based physics questions for practice, and I can barely get anything right.

I've been taking notes, I already know that if I just read it will go straight through me and I won't retain anything. I'm trying to limit my notes as much as possible to information I don't already know, I am not comfortable with, or that is very important.

Is anybody else getting brutalized by physics? It's a subject that has never been my strong suit, but honestly I dread even looking at my physics book. Any clues on how to retain and understand the material better without wanting to throw a tantrum and roll on the floor crying?

I've been taking the physics material for the MCAT for more than 6 years now (it's the same as the physics I took in middle school then repeated a number of times in high school and university), so content review is not really that difficult for me. However, I've tried a couple of passage-based physics questions for practice, and I can barely get anything right.

The physics is giving me such a hard time. I enjoy learning physics, I understand what I'm reading (at least I think I do) but then I get to the passages and it's a whole different game, sometimes I don't even know how to even begin the problem and have to immediately look at the explanation answer, which clearly doesn't help much because I'll have the same problem again. It's definitely discouraging.

Especially because I feel like other than biochem, it's what I spend most of my time on and it's not even covered on the actual exam a proportionally great deal.

I still have three more weeks of content review, so I'm only a little more than halfway done. I'll be taking my first FL at the end of this month. I'm planning on taking about 7 FLs before the 8/22 test and I'm still pretty much on schedule.

I'm not too behind you then, hopefully I can try to double up some things and catch up. If push comes to shove I can switch to a September test date but that will overlap with school, which would suck but hopefully I'll be able to look at it all positively in hindsight once I finish.

Hey everyone! I am registered for Aug 6th but I'm wondering if this gives enough time for preparation? I'm doing a prep course that ends around July 25th. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Hey everyone! I am registered for Aug 6th but I'm wondering if this gives enough time for preparation? I'm doing a prep course that ends around July 25th. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Is it just content review or does it incorporate test practice. If the latter, then that's fine. However you may wanna get more practice in with content you should brush up on as well as maybe a FL to keep you acclimated.

The AAMC has just released the percentiles for the new MCAT.
Comparision between the old MCAT and the new MCAT by percentiles:

Mean matriculant:

The mean MCAT for matriculants during 2014 was 31.4.
The percentile rank for someone that scored 31 on the old MCAT is 83.
A percentile rank of 83 is equivalent to 510 in the new MCAT.

The new 30?

A 30 in the old MCAT corresponded to 79 percentile in the old exam.
A percentile of 79 in the new exam would give you a score between 508-509.

Percentages released today by AAMC:
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/434504/data/percentilenewmcat.pdf

So here's to those who like having specific numbers to aim for, like me.

@FutureSurgical -something similar happened to me for GChem TBR passages. But, I think the important thing is to not get discouraged and persevere ahead. The MCAT passages and the manner in which the questions are asked is something we just have to get used to by doing a lot of practice. To not get discouraged, I stopped calculating my % answers correct for the first few weeks when I had just started practice passages. Three weeks into content review and daily practice has made me much better and finally, I started to do calculate my % correct again, which are now higher than before. Good luck!

How and when do you guys do your % correct ? I think it's imp to have unbiased number on how you are doing , when you are prepping.

Do you do it at the end of the day or after you grade each section/practice passages? Do you input it into an excel sheet? This is something that I didn't do last time for my last MCAT and I'd like to do now.

It's not easy to study for this test. I'm getting older, life opportunities are minimizing, and even after knowing all this, it's easier for me to "goof off" , not focus 100% on stuff that can be a bit boring but that's no excuse , just something to be mindful of.

I'm aiming to study in 4 sets of 90 mins each per day. Mostly I get "tired" after doing 2 sets each but that's not enough . I hope I can push through today and then soon it'll become a habit.

I am studying for this and it's the only that I have going on up to TEST DAY.

Also, the new MCAT is mostly JOURNAL articles/research articles. Anyone care to do a phone call with me daily for 10-15 mins to review an science and pysch article daily? It will ADD UP, trust me :)

I haven't been scoring my passages, should I be? I just see what I get wrong when I review each individual passage. Are you guys already timing your passages too? I just work through mine without a concrete limit but am wondering if I should switch over to timing them before taking FLs

Also, side note my computer has been crashing on and off for the past week and I have some study materials on here and have fallen behind because of it and hate life :mad: word of advise, stay away from the ebooks

I started practicing before finishing content review ( still finishing now the pysch and bio sections - first time round) and not quite solidified even the other sections.
and these my scores on the

AAMC FL - 55-60%
Kaplan FL 1 - 498
kaplan diagnostic - 490 ish
NS Diagnostic - 504
GS diagnostic - 488

So I am averaging a 50% percentile. obviously long way to go...
The downside of doing it this way is that its hard to stay motivated...and scores are not really representative
Upside is that FLs are less scary and you get a feel for questions

Yea I agree the Kaplan FL's are tough...my scores in chem/phys and Bio/biochem are fluctuating so much that its really hard to tell where I actually am. On the bright side, I think I'm starting to find my groove with CARS! That being said, did you think Kaplan CARS was on the same level of the AAMC FL? Harder? Easier?

The physics is giving me such a hard time. I enjoy learning physics, I understand what I'm reading (at least I think I do) but then I get to the passages and it's a whole different game, sometimes I don't even know how to even begin the problem and have to immediately look at the explanation answer, which clearly doesn't help much because I'll have the same problem again. It's definitely discouraging.

Especially because I feel like other than biochem, it's what I spend most of my time on and it's not even covered on the actual exam a proportionally great deal.

I feel the same about the physics. Granted, this isn't my strong suit, but I've taken two years of physics so I know what I'm doing to some degree (studied mechanical engineering for a bit).

My question to everyone: is it necessary to read the passages for physics (or even biology)? They are so convoluted and complicated that I waste a lot of time on them and still don't feel like I understand what I'm reading. This is destroying me in physics - any tips?

I feel the same about the physics. Granted, this isn't my strong suit, but I've taken two years of physics so I know what I'm doing to some degree (studied mechanical engineering for a bit).

My question to everyone: is it necessary to read the passages for physics (or even biology)? They are so convoluted and complicated that I waste a lot of time on them and still don't feel like I understand what I'm reading. This is destroying me in physics - any tips?

I actually asked someone this on the april thread. They pretty much said reading the passage for chem/phys wasn't completely necessary and just knowing where to glean information quickly was enough. So I guess quick scan will probably work. As for bio, I've asked this too, and they pretty much say if you don't read it you're only going to kill your score since it seems to be more verbal/experimentally based. So definitely read the passage for that.

I actually asked someone this on the april thread. They pretty much said reading the passage for chem/phys wasn't completely necessary and just knowing where to glean information quickly was enough. So I guess quick scan will probably work. As for bio, I've asked this too, and they pretty much say if you don't read it you're only going to kill your score since it seems to be more verbal/experimentally based. So definitely read the passage for that.

Thank you! I searched for this info but couldn't find it, I figured it was buried deep in one of those threads. I'll give this strategy a shot on the EK 30-min exams and report back here!

Thank you! I searched for this info but couldn't find it, I figured it was buried deep in one of those threads. I'll give this strategy a shot on the EK 30-min exams and report back here!

Definitely let me know how it goes. I've tried to do this strategy on Kaplan, but i think it varies from company to company. I don't have access to EK stuff, but I definitely feel like this strategy worked for TPR's style chem/phys whereas in Kaplan's style not so much. But it does make sense...since you do get a lot less experimental types in chem/phys and more calculation-esqe type questions where speed seems to be the determining factor.

Yea I agree the Kaplan FL's are tough...my scores in chem/phys and Bio/biochem are fluctuating so much that its really hard to tell where I actually am. On the bright side, I think I'm starting to find my groove with CARS! That being said, did you think Kaplan CARS was on the same level of the AAMC FL? Harder? Easier?
Kaplan VR for the old test was shaky

Kaplan VR for the old test was shaky

Shaky in a easier way? or Shaky in a harder way? I ask because I managed to score a 128 on CARS in Kaplan 3, which is the highest I've ever scored in verbal in my entire life lol.

So should I take this as a sign of general improvement, or just take it with a grain of salt along with the rest of the Kaplan sections.